Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Em-

Blue Moon 2007

... Mugwort and bay, for psychic sensitivity... Juniper, for divination through dreams... Orchid and galbanum, for complexity, wisdom and noscere... with a potent lunar-charged blend of exquisite Asian woods, moonflower, Madagascan ylang ylang, Florentine iris, Greek cypress, davana, green tea absolute, palmarosa, cucumber, Clary sage, melilot trefoils, wood aloes, and pale creeping buttercup.

I'm pretty new to BPAL and never sniffed the previous version and therefore had no expectations. None of the notes in this particularly appealed to me, and frankly I didn't expect this to live up to the hype, but it did sound pleasant so I bought it anyway out of curiosity.

Wow, was I wrong. Wet, it went through a (not unpleasant) slightly soapy stage on me for about five minutes. Before and after that, pure bliss. It's not what I would call an assertive scent, but it's strong and present, tickling at the very edge of my senses like a flutter of electric blue in the corner of my eye.

I smell florals, but they're not the cut flowers you'd find in a store, or even the distinct scents of cultivated flowers in a garden. Instead, this is a disorganized, chaotic mass of gorgeous wildflowers growing on the bank of a small, clear stream in the middle of a forest. It's not a nighttime scent to me but one for twilight, when you can still feel the lingering energy of the sun even though the moon is already in the sky.

Which is just another way of saying that I am very glad I got this before it goes live again. :P

*just stares in utter disbelief at her bottle*

I had the opportunity to test the first incarnation of Blue Moon and quite liked it. I was looking forward to the return so that I could pick up a full bottle. The bottle came to be as a gift from a friend ...

And the oil hates me.

In the bottle, it is everything that I could ever wish for. Pure and delicious delight. Sheer, floral, sweet, herbal, chilly (all lunars have a chilly edge for me) and just amazing.

On my skin? Herbal baby powder. Real baby powder, only with a slightly herbal element.

This breaks my heart.

I never got to try the original Blue Moon so I can't compare.

I've worn this one twice. The first time, it went on as a nice herbal/floral scent with a hint of cucumber, and dried down to an absolutely gorgeous aqua-ish scent. Not really your typical marine or aquatic scent at all, but it did make me think of a big pool of deep, dark, cool (but not cold) water. It smelled nothing at all like any BPAL I'd tried before, and I love to experiment with the cool/fresh/watery BPALs, so this is saying a lot. Unfortunately, it also had poor throw and lasting power.

Today is my second wearing. And I swear I've been smelling anise all day. I like anise, so no biggie, but why the hell am I smelling it? I don't blame the scent; I've felt pretty "off" the past few days so maybe my skin chemistry and/or my nose is playing tricks on me. On the plus side, it seems to be much stronger today. I guess I applied more of it this time.

I wish I could combine the scent I got from the first testing with the longevity I got from the second testing... then Blue Moon 2007 would be just about perfect. Maybe I'll get that result the third time I wear it?

At any rate, it's certainly interesting and I see myself getting a lot of use out of it.

Wow that's complex :P I bought a bottle earlier this month and got it last week, so I wanted to get my review up now that it's back for people who are undecided.

In the bottle - It's light, but I can pick out juniper, green tea, cucumber, and something else that's light, perhaps the wood aloes. I kind of wish I knew what buttercup smells like.

Wet - Green herbs, very light sweet florals (comes across more clean than flowery) I wonder if ho wood or teak is among the woods because there's a quality about it that reminds me of Habu (no complaints, that's one of my favorites from the Snake Pit), but this is a little more subtle. I've had very good luck with the Asian blends I've tried so I'm fine with the appearance of those woods!

Dry - As it dries something becomes..hmm.. "spicy" isn't quite the right word, but a faint spicy-like quality, like a similarity to ginger or carnation, but just a shadow of it underneath the cool blue floral impression.

This is an extremely calming blend - like the kind you'd apply after a day that just sucked to feel better about life. It's neither just green nor aquatic nor floral but it has attributes of all of them, which make for a very lovely blend. So, if you're still undecided, I suggest getting it :D The light quality of it make it very wearable - it's fresh and sweet and not overpowering.

I can barely remember trying out the original Blue Moon. I do know that I was rather fond of it (though it never fell into total LOVE for me, thankfully). I do know that this new version smells nothing like that old one. I remember the original starting out with a lot of crisp juniper and then drying down to something of a sugared floral, juicy melon-esque something, and lots of fresh cucumber.

In the bottle it smells of crisp, watery juniper and some sharp florals. On me, Blue Moon 2007 starts out a sharp, intensely soapy floral and then dries down to a light baby powder with hints of soap. Thankfully, this doesn't have great staying power on me either.

My decant is already getting packaged up and moving on to a new home. :P

I was really excited about this one... with good cause!

In the bottle, I get very watery florals. It's just lovely... extremely calming. Just from the way it smells in the bottle I want to wear it for my not-in-the-foreseeable-future wedding. :P

On me, it's actually about the same! It gets even more aquatic, which is fine with me, and I can definitely smell juniper... and it's really starting to remind me of something, very strongly. Like, this is something I've smelled/worn before. After much thought, I've decided that it smells very similar to the Juniper Breeze B&BW scent (do they still make that one? I used to wear it like... ten years ago, heh.). Except, you know, better. It's like a cool day by a pond with lots of flowers and a nice breeze. Lots of blue flowers. Lilypads and those willow things.

I like this a LOT. I won't be buying a second bottle because it's so expensive, but I'm not unhappy about spending that much on the one bottle that I do have. I will be keeping it all for myself. :-D

This smells like a very green ylang-ylang, with a hint of buttercup and jasmine (there's no jasmine in there! What? And yet...jasmine.)

I find it a little cloying, and I can't imagine reaching for this blend. Ever. :P So very much not for me. Glad I had the chance to try it, but off it goes to swap.

I have been waiting for almost 3 years for this scent. Three long loooooong years.

BTW I did a cartwheel down the hallway back to my apartment when this came. :P lol

In The Bottle An airy swirl of wet woods. Not damp and mossy, but watery. A clutched handful of herbs, cucumbers and forals underneath. At first I am a bit disappointed because it lacks the sugar and crispness in the original, and I am quite afraid it won't hold up to the original. But several sniffs later, I am getting a little intoxicated off of its sublime lovelieness.

Wet Oh sweetness, there you are! The familiar cucumber and aloeswood rises, and all of the lovely soft florals open on my skin. The iris and buttercup and orchid and moonflower....... so pretty. The juniper offers a solid ground for the often translucent florals....... The cucumber prevents some of the other notes from weighing it down with dark herbs and woods. ::sniff:: ahhhh!

Drydown Fainter...... more settled. My nose is glued to my arm. Sniffing like a dog. It wafts in and out. When it comes over you, it intoxicating and beautiful. When it recedes, you are trying to sniff it out again to keep the scent. God, it is really beautiful.

One Hour LaterThis is it! Blue Moon. All the yummy goodness of the original but this time more subtle, more complex. In the original, a lot of the notes disappeared on me..... in this one I can faintly make out the Green tea, and cypress, and palmarosa, and ylang ylang. It is soft and lovely, yet complex and woodsy, and all the while sweet and delicious. The cucumber is round and warm, but this a grown up cucumber. Not all sugar and loud sweetness.

Verdict The original Blue Moon was hands down my favorite scent PERIOD. For a long time. I didn't think she could do it.... but she made it better. The cucumber is a more plesantly subdued sweetness, and the mint has been traded for green tea, which I think offers a more grown up and sexier version of Blue Moon, and is a better compliment to the aloeswood, IMO. Seriosuly kids, I am ordering two more bottles. Seriously Beth, you outdid yourself. This is your best perfume to date, and is now my new favorite. I adore this one.

THANK YOU BETH!!!!!!!

Blue Moon definitely requires slathering.

I wasn'y sure if it was just me, but it seems as if this one doesn't quite have the potency the original did. As a matter of fact, I seem to remember overdoing it accidentily on multiple ocassions, with the cucumber taking over the whole room in a very delicious manner. lol

I totally have been reapplying, trying to keep that wet and delicious cucumber alive.

And I do recognize the difference between somethin being subtle, and something doing a disappearing act.

But as the day has gone on I do admit that I miss the old one a bit. I know that more often than not the newer Blue Moon will better suit my persona and moods....... but on the days when it doesn't....... when I will want that deliriously and unapologetically sweet and fresh and girly cucumber........ iI don't know if her more subdued cousin will cut it.

Nonetheless.... absolutely gorgeous.

Edited by Shollin
Merged followup

This is my First review and I am so happy to say that Blue Moon is just *Beautiful*! I have tried about 2-3 dozen Imps as well as a few bottles and this is my absolute favorite. :D

As for as descriptions, I am not good with notes yet but this is a soft light floral with a touch of green water and juniper. It reminds me of walking in a garden at dusk with orchids and glowing white moon flowers in bloom beside a fountain that the breeze occasionally sends a mist to cool you. I will definitely be ordering another bottle! :P

This is a light scent, perfect for summer. The only down side is that it fades on me after about 2 hours.

Edited by sunni

FINALLY! A Lunacy that works on me and a gorgeous one at that! This is everything I hoped Blue Moon would be; soft and ethereal and amazing!

In the bottle, I can detect greenery, soft florals and a bit of the green tea. On my skin, this immediately sinks in and starts morphing. At first the throw is like WOAH. I could barely stand myself for awhile there. As it begins to mellow, though, it becomes softer and really well blended. By the time it dries, I can't detect any single notes except perhaps the green tea which sits nicely on top.

It reminds me a bit of House of Mirrors, not in the way this smells, but the feeling of it. It behaves the same way on my skin.

I'm so glad I bought a bottle!! :P

I agree with etherealchild that this is a more sophisticated version of Blue Moon. But I really, really miss the almosty-minty, cucumber coolness of the first version. The florals are the same tender sweetness as before, but take a little longer to emerge this time. First, it's juniper and a hint of something Asian - a tea-tinged almost-spiciness that I think is related to the oud. Then it gets very watery as the cucumber comes out to play and the florals bloom: orchid and buttercup, and I may have caught the ylang-ylang, but this has already faded to almost nothing, so I can't remember. Blue Moon definitely requires slathering.

Overall, they're close cousins for sure. And comparing something fresh out of the bottle with another blend that has been aging for almost three years is probably an exercise in futility. The new Blue Moon is gorgeous and ethereal -- just as it ought to be -- so now it's just a matter of deciding whether I need one more bottle or two before it goes away for a couple years :P

Wow, this one is complex! I'm mostly getting light florals, with a slight earthiness that I think might be the sage. There's also a tiny hint of coolness that I will attribute to cucumber. So far it's lasted 3.5 hours and I'm still getting lovely whiffs of it.

This really feels like a ice blue light to me. So glad I splurged on a bottle!

First wet sniff: grassy, but not unpleasant. Light and springy, the scent of fresh growing grass that has just been rained on.

Drydown: Oooh, there are the flowers! Buttercup! I think I'm getting some of the moonflowers too. All of the herbs and the cucumber just blend together in a lovely light green scent to support the flowers. It's like this scent knew what I wanted it to be, and is bringing out the floral notes that I had hoped for.

I can't stop smelling my wrist! I love Blue Moon, and it loves me :P

Slave1 recommended this to me, and I must thank her - I am every bit in love as she said I would be :D

The original Blue Moon deserves its hype, and so does Blue Moon 2007. To me there is only a slight difference between the old and new Blue Moons and I believe it's just from the age difference.

Blue Moon 2007 - In the bottle I get a crystalline "blue" smell with a slight bit of herbs and dusty woods. This is fresh and aquatic and truly lunar smelling. I love that I can detect some cucumber in there.

On drydown I suddenly get more coolness, more herbs, and then... flowers! And within an hour it has softened up and I can finally detect the juniper. The best part of the entire experience? That overall cool, blue, lunar, fresh quality. I just love it.

This one is worth checking out even if you're a bit on the fence about it!

:P I want to love Blue Moon, and I can't! I got my order today, and put it on immediately. I was hoping for the lovely cucumber tea aquatic that lots are getting. Initially I get a scent almost like dragons blood (i.e. heavy nose-prickling floral), which softens, but always retains that noseprickling, strongly spicy, sharp floral scent. No wisp of tea, cucumber, aloe, iris, water, juniper or the like. Someone below mentioned jasmine, and I agree-I get a similar feel, even though I know it isn't listed. I think it is the moonflower that does it for me. In any case, it makes me sad, and while I'm glad I tried it, but it isn't going to have a home with me.

This is nice, even if it is a bit generic. It smells like a cool aquatic floral, I can't reaslly pick out the notes individually, but it's very light and has minimal throw. After about an hour or so it fades into a soapy smell which I don't really care for that much. It's nice, but I wouldn't shell out 27 bucks for it.

Oh my. :D

This is just beautiful.

It's such a pale, translucent scent -- this is my favorite sort of aquatic, ethereal and dipped in florals. It does remind me, at first, a great deal of Black Moon, which is one of my top 10.

In the bottle, it's clean and light. Very fresh.

Once on my skin, wet, I can smell the orchid's sweetness tempered greatly by aloe and cucumber. It's very watery and clean, and quickly morphs through stages as it starts to dry down. The aloe and green tea, and a reminder of the bamboo (which I didn't like) from the asian moons comes out, too. About this point, I start worrying that I just can't handle this one. It has a... Holiday Moon or Spirits of the Dead vibe to me, and neither of those are favorites.

But once it dries, oh, then it gets so much better. It stays clean and crisp and herbal for a bit, and almost vanishes. But after about 20 minutes, all of a sudden I get this gorgeous sweetness, like sugared flowers. It may be the juniper, because I know this note and have smelled this before, combining with the orchid? My skin loves orchid. Possibly more cucumber, too. I'm not too experienced with cucumber in blends.

Whatever it is, it's just gorgeous and I think it's going to be in heavy rotation when I want something translucent.

It doesn't last a really long time, so requires heavier slathering than usual. But I love it. :P

Cucumber and pale flowers. I really like this blend, and I was really looking forward to the cucumber--I loved the cucumber in Annabel Lee. But...it smells a lot LIKE Annabel Lee. It's like the City Mouse and the Country Mouse. Blue Moon is refined, complex, subdued. And Annabel is sweetness with a twang to it. They're both lovely, dreamy cucumber floral blends, and I'm glad I got to experience Blue Moon, but I have Annabel left and I think one bottle will be enough. Whew!

Oh Pretty!!!!

Just got some from a decant circle.....just in time to order a big bottle before it comes down for the second time!

Cucumber and florals backed by light woods.

Very cucumbery while wet but drying into sweet, mellow florals backed by the cucumber and woods.

I can understand the "blue/aquatic" feel people are getting from this. Makes me think of lying on the bank of a little forest brook beside a field full of wild flowers while eating cucumber sandwiches.

Glad I got to try it in time to still order a big bottle!!!

In the bottle, Blue Moon is a cool floral. I can smell the cucumber quite strongly as well and maybe a touch of the woods.

On my skin, wow! This is a gorgeous blue/white floral. I think I can detect the ylang ylang, which doesn't go off on me like it sometimes can, but otherwise, I can't really pick out individual notes. The cucumber is AWOL and I can't really smell the woods either. It's pretty much all a haunting floral. It makes me think of fields of flowers in moonlight. It's beautiful and complex and somehow untouchable. Cool without being icy.

Verdict: Beautiful and aloof blue/white floral. Glad I have a full bottle.

My blue moon arrived today, and I've been pondering this scent since testing it. At first whiff, I thought "Meh, perfumy", and it did smell a bit like a commercial floral perfume, with just a hint of cucumbery freshness, clinging like dew to the petals.

Wet, on me, this one goes through a powdery phase. I expect one of the flowers is the culprit, but I don't know which. Thankfully, the tea amps up quickly and the whole thing morphs into a really gorgeous, exotic blend. The tea note dominates for a while then on the dry-down the cucumber emerges once again. Tea and cucumber seem to be the two predominant notes for me, but the blend is overall so much more complex than that, with a gentle balance of floral and herb notes. I do wish I got more woods and sage from this, but its absolutely lovely as is, and I'm kinda falling in love with the cucumber note. I may have to seek out more cucumber blends.

Still, as beautiful as this is, I'm not entirely sure its me. I take a sniff and think, "How often will I wear this?" then I take another sniff and think "Hmmm... maybe a lot". I suppose more testing is needed, but whether its "me" or not, its a gorgeous fragrance.

i like blue moon, but i can't say i'm nuts about it...it's a little soapy on me. out of the bottle i get a drop of cucumber (the note i was most excited for..) and on my skin, the cucumber is present, but very lightly. it is cool, blue, and watery - a little old-fashioned and retro - reminds me of something from the '70s, from my childhood - not sure why...with all those notes, i am not sure why i get something so clean, watery, and as i said, slightly soapy - i do enjoy the clean, cucumber-freshness though. i will certainly wear this - it feels innocent, a little dreamy - but also somewhat ordinary: something i can wear to work, in a utilitarian way.

eta: looking back, a coupla months later, i think i was a little harsh with this review...i've come to really love this blend, and although i guess it is a bit soapy on me, i really enjoy its cool dreaminess, lightness, and prettiness...it's much more magical than i originally thought...and rather addicting.

Edited by AliBabble

First fresh whiff from the bottle: HELLO Juniper!!! This screams juniper at me every time I open the bottle. The sage and cucumber are being a bit shit and only waving at this point.

Wet on my skin: The juniper continues to be the drama queen while everyone else is just following shyly behind. This is reminding me a lot of certain Christmas potpourri blends, with the pines and juniper in them.

Drydown: Much better, much softer. Definitely a bit creamier with a bit more tea and cucumber. This is my favorite stage and I will definitely hang onto my bottle, although for a while there I was wondering how often I might actually wear it. This one is a beautiful morpher. :P

In the bottle: Dry, woody, with a hint of floral.

Wet/Drydown: On, a lovely gentle floral. It reminds me of lilac, but it’s different. I could pick out the ylang ylang if you forced me, but it’s not a dominant note. I get the tea absolute, blending perfectly with the florals. This is a dewy floral, in the same way that Moon Rose is dewy – and yet it’s also dry. I feel like there should be sandalwood in this, which is probably the “Asian woods” and “wood aloes” that I’m smelling. I swear there’s lilac in here.

Dry: Fades A LOT. But it’s still stunning. A dewy-yet-dry woody floral. Breathtaking.