Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Sunflower

Sunflower bouquet, black amber, creeping black moss, wilted greenery, and scorched, dry stems.

Unfortunately, I get nothing from Sunflower except a soapy floral scent. Not for me.

A sunny spicy sweet scent. I can't identify the notes, but, I like it.

I went and checked the scents listed in L'Estate, and they both have sunflower and amber. I wonder if I need to find more sunflower scents?

In bottle: Startlingly sweet, like a flower drink I get at a certain falafal shop in my area. The amber and sunflower is certainly a striking combination. Wet: The moss and greenery kick in. This is stunning in it’s difference from most florals. The sunflowers don’t smell like most florals and the rich dark green undertow is mesmerizing in combination. Dry: Much less exciting, but still a pleasant floral with an interesting undertow.

Wet: peach and green herbs. Does that make any sense?

Dry: After smelling and smelling, and retrying weeks later, I still somehow get a peach sweetness, so I guess I'll throw it out there even though no one else has gotten this. It's not a peach 'scent', like in other bpal peaches, it's like the actual peach. (Like how the color "peach" is pinkish-drab, but an actual fresh-cut ripe peach is golden yellow inside - that golden yellow is exactly like how this is.) The scent is much lighter and sweeter than I thought it would be from the description. A slight, slight tinge of bitter/sour, perhaps like cut plants. Sunny, light, innocent, open, joy. A summer's day. Really lovely. Potential bottle in my future.

Comparisons to other scents: If you like this, then you might want to try The Apothecary or Death and Life Completed.

I could have sworn I reviewed this one... Dark yellow smelling oil. Very sweet on application. Definitely the perfumey-ness others have mentioned. I do sense the dark moss in the background though and I'm crossing my fingers the amber will come out more later. Sharp and scorching my nose, that's for sure :)

Edited by Shollin

1205924837_x5aGF-Ti.jpg

Light and girly, a touch cologne-ish, but not too much. It's very nice, especially for a warm day. I really rather like this blend, but I identify it too solidly with my older daughter, as she's claimed it as her 'signature scent.' I think I'll cede this bottle to her, and call it a day. ;)

Edited by stellans

Oh, wow- this is interesting! Wet, it is an extreme sharp sweetness. As it dries, there is a powder element that is in the forefront. I detect something that is fruity as well. Am I picking up amber too? I don't know but the end of the sniff has definite amber potential. All the different notes stack one behind the next in one big whiff. I don't know that I've ever smelled anything quite like it. And I DO like it.

Wet: something sweet..fruity smelling...wilted greenery? and black amber. I completely didn't expect the fruit smell! The sunflower bouquet smell comes out short after application. It's warm yellow dry, aromatic without being incensey and balanced.

drydown: I can smell all elements here. The amber burns down some, as expected. I think the what makes this a signature scent is the dry stems. Without that the scent might waffle and disappear. Nice, warm, dry, late summer early fall, sunbaked dried floral scent.

I sprung for a bottle of this without even testing it... I know... iffy for a Salon blend because they're a bit more expensive than other GC scents! I knew I would love it though, and I was right :wub2:

This starts off wet as STRONG sugared sunflowers with a touch of black amber and "scorched" stems. Sunbaked is definitely a good word to describe it. The dark elements of the blend prevent the sunflower from getting too sweet and syrupy and sugary which I especially appreciate. Sweet scents can get nauseating on me. As this dries down the sweetness blends into the other notes and he amber steps forward. The overall effect is just beautiful. Sunflower, amber, sweetness, and the warm drying heat of the sun. A summer floral, but it isn't only a floral. It is evocative of a warm, dry, scorched even, plain filled with sunflowers at the peak of their bloom, with the sun glossing over everything gloriously spilling its golden glow! But it has a richness to it (thank you amber, moss, and stems!) that is slightly dark. This is Egon Schiele's Sunflower bottled to perfection.

Love. Love. Love. Made it to my top 10!

This one was never a favorite of mine from the Salon, and I think it was because it was a little powdery on me. I liked the green mossy aspect of it, but it is a very dry floral on me. I'm iffy on florals anyway, and although I sometimes do like a dry floral (Mum Moon is very nice), I generally lean toward the bright round soft-petal ones. This one isn't for me, but I do appreciate the artistry of it.

This is probably an decently aged imp, so keep that in mind.  That said, this smells like tart, slightly sweet granny smith apples.  I can't explain how or why, but that's what I smell.