Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

bat.gif

Bat, Albrecht Dürer.

Dusty amber, grey musk, red orchid, moonflower, night-blooming phlox, stock, honeysuckle, English ivy, toadflax, and purple salvia.

in the bottle: sweet florals, and a light musk.

wet:clean florals, i believe i get the moonflower most of all, i also get a whiff of honeysuckle. and definitely some ivy..

as this dries it is a close to the skin scent, soft, feminine. clean musky notes are the background, with bright spring florals, although not spring as in lilies, just a fresh spring smell, the amber is light and just makes it kind of fuzzy around the edges. this is so soft it is liek a whisper in a spring evening. i really like it, and not just for the great label.

Ohhhh, pretty. Another fresh CLEAN floral. Again without the ozone or aquatics.

Another great scent for anytime or anybody.

And may I say, that's a mighty plump Bat Albrecht Durer painted. I like how you can see the genitalia :P

Wet, it's reminiscent of tropical flowers, with a musk background.

Drying down, it develops and aggressive throw, and amps up the moonflower and orchid to an almost overwhelming level. At this point, it's a bit much for me. Not sure if this is a good scent on me.

Now that I've had it on for two hours, it's brought out the honeysuckle and salvia and the amped notes have thrown themselves off, so it's just a lovely scent of night-blooming flowers, much more delicate.

BAT

In Bottle: Floral

On Skin: Ok, I got this just for the bottle and name… yes. How can you go wrong with a scent named Bat?? And I loved Bat-Woman so much…. This scent is a gorgeous floral. Elegant and refined. The florals are not too strong, a perfect balance. The grey musk is sophisticated yet soft. The amber adds a warm tone and is slightly dry, but not enough to tickle the nose. I also get a night feel from this like I did with Bat-Woman which I think is the moonflower. It is very clean, not cloying at all and the ivy gives a nice green note. I love, love, LOVE this floral! An absolute hit on me. I’m usually not big on florals, but the florals in most the Salon series are so well blended and balanced, I think they are above and beyond anything anyone can imagine. I will be wearing this one anytime I’m going anywhere fancy or if I want a touch of elegance to my day. Medium throw and average wearlength.

Sniffing from the bottle: soft. subtle. I....can't really smell it.

Upon application: Soft florals. The orchid is the only one that really stands out to me. I love the clarity of orchid, and with a whole bouquet of other flowers and wildflowers to back it up, it makes for a sweet nosegay of a perfume.

This is the kind of floral perfume I love and adore - sweet, soft, gentle, clear, pure. Like an English garden. An english garden at dusk. This reminds me of Annick Goutal fragrance, and I adore Annick Goutal. And, as a kicker, it lasts a surprising long time.

So very pretty.

In the bottle: WOOOOOOOOOOOOT! WOOOT! WOOOT! SQUEEEE!!!!!! Ivy, a hint of musk, IVY, a brush of phlox. Teh smeh. This is right up my alley in the ephemeral division.

Wet: Ivy, moonflower, phlox, a scrape of orchid - cold floral, cold and green and fresh and yum. This is the sort of thing I thrive on in the summer months - I like my florals gellid and fresh, and this is right up in there - nestled in happily between the fresh, soft green of The Ghost and the smooth tones of Bat Woman. Bat's the happy medium.

Drydown: Much the same, though the orchid gains a little more punch as it wears.

Verdict: I love it. I love ivy. I love flying rodents. This is a winner.

5/5 on Medici's Scale o' Lurve

This one is in a similar vain as Blue Moon 2007, Dark Delicacies and Black Moon. I get a lot of moonflower as well as ivy, orchid and a dash of musk. Not getting a lot of amber or what have you... This has a lovely nighttime feel to it- like walking outside on a cool breezy night under the full moon. It also has a bit of a "clean"vibe to it, but definitely not in a soapy way. This one lasts for a while as well, yet remains subtle and quiet- very much a "skin" scent for me.

I really like this one- it's perfect for when I want to smell fresh and light, but not soapy- and really...that painting can't be beat :P I am definitely going to throw a bottle of this one in my next order!

Wet: green plants

On skin: dusty flowers. Amber goes dusty on me unless it's anchored to something more powerful like black musk

Half-hour later: wow, orchid with a vengeance! I'm not familiar with moonflower or phlox, but they're acting like screamingly white florals with the orchid. No more amber and musk is nowhere to be found

In conclusion: the flowers amped way too much in this blend on me, which is a shame as grey musk sounded intriguing. This turned into a pretty but generic floral.

I guess I can pick up the florals and night air immediately which smell a bit like pleasant soap on me. As it dries though it starts to amp floral soap on me so that it becomes a bit strong for my liking.

Dry it softens a bit so that it’s mostly all night-time florals but it is still a bit strong and soapy for my tastes. Bat is probably gorgeous on someone who doesn’t have my skin chemistry is my conclusion.

Rating: 2.5/5

Edited by Lunaratu

I'm not usually one for the floral notes. Most of them amp on me to the degree of a massive headache.

But BAT...... :P This is the first floral that I haven't had to hide far far away from my nose.

It's soft, musky, almost powdery and not sharp.

It's well after midnight and the bats are out for their nightly feeding excursion.

A curious youngster sees the brightly coloured flowers in the rainforest and swoops in to investigate.

Getting a little too close, he is covered in pollen by the time he returns to his roost.

He smells of light powdered flowers and nightly air.

Even if this one had not worked on me, or if I hadn't liked the scent at all, it's still a keeper. It's a BAT!!!!!! ^^^0^^^ :D

Wow. WOW. A couple of these notes made me more than a bit nervous to try it, as they provoke lengthy sneezing fits, but everything here is so soft and airy and gently floral. It smells as soft and gentle wet as it does dry, which is very unusual to my nose. I think this may be a bottle-worthy scent.

Plus, I love bats, love the drawing, so how could I go wrong?

This is a light, almost dusty floral scent. Ever so slightly soapy at first. In my notes I wrote 'it's a dapper little bat'. I got hints of something citrus and something a little creamy. Probably just the nuances of the florals. This lasts a long time and it's the amber that comes out strongly for me, combined with the musk. A really good companion for Bat-Woman.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

Bat - This is a gorgeous, gorgeous floral! It is very subtle, but definitely a stunning musky-floral scent. I don't detect the amber at all in this blend. Rather, it's mostly a combination of orchid, moonflower, and honeysuckle over a spritz of musk. Of course, I wouldn't know phlox or stock or toadflax from a bar of soap, so maybe I'm smelling them, too. I really can't say. Either way, this is a lovely, ethereal musky-floral, that reminds me of twilight hours in the summer time.

I might love this if the 'dusty amber' weren't present. My skin amps up amber notes, and BPAL's amber is always unpleasantly dry and powdery on my skin. Thankfully, the amber doesn't completely take over this blend, though it is strong enough to make me not want a full bottle of Bat. I get a lot of moonflower from this, and it smells chilly and sugared on my skin. There are some other floral and musk notes playing about as well, but they're more creamy and not so perfumey or sharp on my skin. It's a clean, creamy, sweet, chilled floral on my skin. After a half hour or so, the amber gains some strength and mucks everything up. Night flowers covered in road dust. Still, I think I'll keep my decant of this one.

In the imp: Sweet, soft florals

Wet: Sweet moonflower, but there is also orchid here, and the combination is far stronger than moonflower usually is.

Drydown and wear: This smells almost exactly like Queen Mab did on me--a lovely orchid bringing some strength to a sugary and sweet floral. I don't get any of the amber or other notes in the blend. It is very pretty though--I always do like orchids, and it's an unexpected take on what we might expect from a bat. :P

In the imp: Sharp cologney floral

On Skin: Slightly fruity and floral

On Drydown: The fruityness is there, I get hints of muskyness. It's very light and airy.

Verdict: This is a bat that has been eating some juicy fruit. It's fun, light and playful. Overall, very lovely.

In the bottle – Faint sweet florals

Wet on me – White clean and powdery

Dry on me – Soft faint florals warmed by the amber

Overall – This was a bit neither here nor there on me

I get a dusky orchid sort of scent right off the bat, then shortly after that it morphs into a soft (not powdery) amber with a smattering of flowers. There's a short moment where I start to think that this is too sharp/perfumey for me, but it immediately fades off into a soft, sweet floral. It's not cloying or anything. I love the honeysuckle in this!

This is definitely a keeper!

I'm weeping! Tears of sadness are flowing down my face like The River Emo Kid as I type this.

I love love love that little bat, and hell, I love bats in general, but Jesus god, amber and musk IN THE SAME BLEND? I am pretty sure this isn't going to end well.

Okay, first on, it seems like I'm right, the musk will kill me ded. But as Bat dries, it turns out that the florals are taking a turn as The Enemy instead. DETERGENT. Gah. Probably the moonflower? It smells sort of sweet, whatever it is, but not in a honeysuckle way.

I was so hopeful for this one, mainly because of the label art. Sadly, it was not meant to be.

Wet, it's a strong, sharp floral. As it dries, I hoped the sharpness would calm down, and it did... but it turned into sweet spicy bubblegum. It stayed that way for quite a while while I tried to decided whether or not I liked it, but then it up and turned to soap, and bubblegum soap, at that, so it decided for me.

As sorry as I am for Karen that it didn't work for her, if she hadn't said something about detergent I would have wondered if I even had the right stuff in my imp, since it went so different on me than apparently everyone else. Sniff. It sounded so pretty.

hmm this reminds me of one of last year's halloween scents...i think it was wilhemina murray. i get a powdery floral sort of thing going on, which i think is moonflower+honeysuckle. either that or the amber or musk is turning a bit powdery- it's probably the grey musk. also, the orchid makes a faint appearance as well. this is nice but it smells a lot like other scents i've tried. i will keep my imp but probably won't buy a bottle.

Bat

In the imp: wet, sweet, nectar filled night blooming flowers. Very much like Chiroptera.

Wet on skin: I can smell sweet phlox, crisp moonflower, maybe honeysuckle too?

Dry on skin: mmm, not bad! This is very similar to Midnight and Bat Woman. It's not as sweet as it was before, now I smell more of the moonflower, the honeysuckle, and a little touch of green ivy, and some herbs. I think I also smell a musk note, which is pale and ethereal like white or blue musk. This now smells very much like Bat Woman without as much of the heady jasmine-type notes…this is fresher and crisper. This is what I was hoping to get from Chiroptera.

After a while: the floral notes start to become more herbal, less dewy, a little warmer and a tiny bit more musky at this time. The grey musk now smells less airy and wispy now, and smells a little bit furrier…like a bat. I'm not sure, but I think the orchid may do the same thing as it did in Gemini-ie, it seems to be developing that odd, dirty smell I wasn't crazy about. I don't smell any amber.

Then it does what I dreaded it would…turns into dirty sweat. I think that's the orchid-some orchids work, others don't, the one in here really disagrees with me. I now smell that odd lemony-soapy-green scent mixed with that that slight hint of sweaty foot smell that the 'bad orchid' note often does to me. Nothing else-no more moonflower, musk, honeysuckle or greenery.

Verdict: this one was disappointing on me. I was hoping for a lot more floral complexity, with a rich amber musk base. It starts off promising, with a lovely dewy night time floral mix reminiscent of Midnight-a cool nocturnal bouquet bound with ethereal musk. but sadly it doesn't last. The scent becomes a little bit flatter, but also muskier…and then comes a note I'm not keen on. I'm guessing it's a type of orchid note since I got the same reaction in Gemini…soapy lemony florals and a dirty sweatiness. No amber to be found, just this flat, sharp, sweaty orchid note, and the other flowers had disappeared by then. Not a favourite I'm afraid-I have nocturnal scents I prefer to this.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? no.

If you like this, try: Midnight, Bat Woman, Midnight on the Midway, Gemini, Oberon, Black Moon

Bat came as part of my Exhibit III imp pack, and it wasn't one of the ones I was expecting to love. Amber usually doesn't work on me and having it first in the description scared me off a little.

In the imp, Bat is a floral with a musky edge.

On my skin, it blossoms into this wonderful floral. The orchid is predominant with the other plants dancing slightly herbal attendance. The musk adds a lovely dusky background, and the amber is behaving itself! No baby powder. Just a gorgeous dusky floral. It's a perfect scent picture of an animal whose greatest beauty is when it's swooping gracefully across a dusky sunset sky.

Verdict: If you love orchid (and I do), this is a great blend for you. I think I might need a full bottle.

In the imp: a fresh, bright, almost ozone-ish floral.

On me, wet: yup, still bright and green and sort of ozone-y, with a breath of a soft musk. It's just verging on soapiness, though.

On me, dry: this reminds me of a dry cleaning product, talc or soap powder or something, and very faint. Clean, I guess, but not much else.

Verdict: Pass - not really what I want from a scent.