Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Summerpixy

Sandalwood Scents

Morocco! It smells like delicious sandalwood that's been warmed in the sun. I adore this one, and I wear it in the dead of winter when I'm ready for it to be summer again.

Favourite sandalwood at the moment is from the dead leaves series, Dead Leaves, Black Pepper, and Sandalwood.

In a similar vein but on the spring tip of things, Post-Mortem Laureatus is greener in spirit, and lists the notes as white sandalwood and twining ivy.

I'm loving Grooming Scene in a Brothel: Vanilla saffron, carnation absolute, bois de rose, myrrh, and sandalwood incense.

My other recent favorite is Crimson: The red of an open artery, the red of congealing blood, the red of a scarlet tomb: burgundy musk, bitter clove, crushed saffron, red sandalwood, and red oudh.

Any other reccs with sandalwood?

My current sandalwood faves are Sinus Amoris, Brown Jenkin, Mini Magdalene, and probably something I'll kick myself for forgetting.

Brown Jenkin for sure, The Little Wooden Doll, Rakshasa, and Volcano in Springtime from the 2016 Lupers. Of the 4, Brown Jenkin seems to have the greatest proportion of sandalwood.

I am in love with Volcano in Springtime, vanilla sandalwood heaven.

Ditto!

Ah yes, Brown Jenkin, Sinus Amoris, and Volcano in Springtime are all wonderful. I'm still so grateful that I don't pick up any lotus in Volcano in Springtime!

I am in love with Volcano in Springtime, vanilla sandalwood heaven.

Ditto!

Me three. Edging out the instructional manual as my favorite luper. I reach for it every day.

Brown Jenkin for sure, The Little Wooden Doll, Rakshasa, and Volcano in Springtime from the 2016 Lupers. Of the 4, Brown Jenkin seems to have the greatest proportion of sandalwood.

Australian Sandalwood single note is a dream come true. And I'm liking Paramatman. The orange blossom is pretty strong at first, but the sandalwood lass and lasts.

So far, Lyonesse and aged Plunder have been some of my favorites. Morocco is great on my boyfriend but there's something in it that doesn't work well on me (maybe the saffron). I'd love some suggestions for sandalwood/musk and sandalwood/spice blends, with minimal florals.

The White Rider. It is it.

One of my all time favorite GC scents. It's absolutely perfect and since you like it, hunt down The Mark from this past Luper release because it's the exact same, just a gorgeous dollop of sweet vetiver. PERFECTION

Volcano in Springtime (THE BEACH with a scoop of vanilla ice cream), Brown Jenkin (sweet, light, beachy, woody), Paramatman (suntan lotion with a creamy orange-banana milkshake)!!

Also love Sin (not heavy in the sandalwood but a gorgeous, rounded vanilla-spice amber!) and Gingerbread Sin (...the perfect christmas cookie...)

Brown Jenkin: why don't I just wear it every day until the weather turns cold again (with Fig & White Sandalwood HG?)

Reviving this post with a question for sandalwood vets:

As a sandalwood newb, i'm trying to track down a sandalwood sn with which to layer my scents and i see at least three: austrailian, red mysore, and white. Is there any opinions on which is the best option for layering?

On 2/9/2020 at 7:54 PM, DiZZysTARdust said:

Reviving this post with a question for sandalwood vets:

As a sandalwood newb, i'm trying to track down a sandalwood sn with which to layer my scents and i see at least three: austrailian, red mysore, and white. Is there any opinions on which is the best option for layering?

I can sort of answer your question, but I'm also asking one of my own.  :smile:

It's really up to your preference.  "Sandalwood" is a classification that covers a variety of different trees.  Australian sandalwood (Santalum spicatum) comes from a different plant than Indian/Mysore sandalwood (Santalum album).  I thought that red sandalwood was just harvested from older Indian sandalwood trees than white sandalwood, but it looks like they might actually be different species too.  I'll have to do more research!  Red sandalwood definitely takes more time to develop than white sandalwood though.  Also, fun fact, all the varieties seem to improve with aging. 

To my nose, Australian sandalwood has almost a buttery, baby powder smell to it, while white Indian sandalwood smells drier, woodier, and sometimes almost medicinal.  Red sandalwood smells huskier/earthier to me.  I love white Indian sandalwood.  I like red Indian sandalwood.  Australian I can take or leave, depending on the notes its with.  The White Rider is an excellent example of white sandalwood.

On to my question - Has anyone tried the Ylang Ylang, Sandalwood, and Vanilla Absolute menage a trois?  I'm waffling on whether to buy it and reviews are rather thin.

* puts on lab coat and goggles *

@DiZZysTARdust, the tree Pterocarpus santalinus is commonly referred to as "red sandalwood", while "white sandalwood" is Santalum album and called white because of the color of the heartwood that produces fragrant oils. Other trees that smell similar or have wood that looks similar are also confusingly called "sandalwood", even if they're not related. 🙃 

Anyway, the two forms of the compound santalol make up most of what we smell in sandalwood oil; isobornyl cyclohexanol is similar in structure to santalol and is sold as a synthetic replacement for sandalwood oil since the real thing can be expensive. 

I'd say layering is up to you and whichever variety of sandalwood you like best, since they can smell so different. 

(sorry, @VetchVesper, I don't have an answer to your question but I am curious to see replies as I've also been waffling!)