Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

This infamous herb has a long, complex history: it has been used in spells of death and destruction, was a principal component in traditional witches' flying ointments, and was the poison used to put the philosopher Socrates to death. We have created a dark, profound herbal blend to personify and honor this wicked little plant.

This is a LOT like Belladonna. At the moment I couldn't tell the difference, since it's been a while since I last wore Belladonna. Hemlock might be a bit more lemony and herbal. However, they share the green colour, and I'm convinced it's woodruff that tints these oils green and gives that slightly sweet, elusive background note. I'm quite baffled at that I'm obviously the only reviewer who ever had that idea.

Simply Put: A very spicy warm green perfume, in the beginning it's a blast of heavy pine with a recenious spiciness in the foreground. As it dries the spiciness places more up front that which all the pine disappears to just a hint of what it once was. Pretty color oil, had high hopes from the first sniff but not something that I'd want to wear regularally.

Wow, a green oil!

Hemlock goes on smelling rather sharp and medicinal. Like eucalyptus mixed with pine. It wasn't unpleasant, exactly, but it definitely wasn't working its way onto my top ten list. I thought it might smell better on a man, but even the thought of pine makes my husband's eyes water, so that's probably not a good idea.

The drydown was a surprise. Still a little bit of that piney tang, but much sweeter and softer around the edges. I still don't think it will be a favorite, but I am finding myself surreptitiously taking whiffs of my wrists.

This was a swap-frimp. I tend to avoid herbal things since most of them end up being heavy on the pine or other notes I don't care for. Still, if I get it, I'll try it... I've been surprised a few times.

When first applied, I can see where people get the 'Vicks vaporub' thing from. Wet, it's basically a nose-prickling blend of pine and eucalyptus, screamingly green and needly. It's nice, but the eucalyptus reek initially makes me want to claw my nose off.

Ah, but the eucalyptus is fugitive, and soon enough vanishes. (We're talking less than five minutes.) In fact, the blend becomes -very- subtle, and I don't know if it's just my nose failing to function properly after being abused by a snootful of eucalyptus-menthol or if it really has faded that much, BUT...

I can ALSO see where people are getting the 'incense' thing from now. I still get a bit of pinishness, but it's not powdery. It also seems to contain something warm, spicy, and sweet, like some kind of resinous wood. It's gentle, sweet, a marvelous woody fragrance that I wish wasn't so bloody subtle.

In a nutshell, it starts out awfully harsh to me, but -very- swiftly dries down into a very pleasant woody scent, with almost a tealike quality. Unfortunately, it also becomes very faint. I THINK. I'm going to have to check with a third party to see if it's just that I overloaded on the initial application stage. It's completely gender neutral; as long as people don't amp eucalyptus, I'd imagine it'd be nice on just about anyone.

Hmm, what an interesting oil. When I first applied I got a screaming blast of herbal-ness that I'm not a huge fan of- it reminds me of the Belladonna blast of green. But as it dries down, it gets interesting. When I put my wrist to my nose, there's this lemony note that's really nice. It's not lemon, I don't think, it's probably in the same family. When it's farther from my nose, it's sharper and more plant-y.

The good news for me was that this is a pine-esque blend that didn't smell horrible on me. I don't really smell juniper, but I do smell SHARP green/gold, slightly herbal, very fresh pine sap in this.

Then there is the weird sweet berry note that I can't identify...so familiar...but I don't know what this is reminding me of. Kind of like Strawberry Shortcake dolls or something (sorry...it smells better than that, but there's no denying that's what it's reminding me of).

Then there is some weird note drifting in and out, that just goes sour on me. I have no idea what that might be, but it's like a halitosis smell, or almost a skunk-like smell....?

All around interesting scent, that I'm glad I got to try. The sniffie I got has enough to wear it again one or two more times, but I doubt I'll seek it out again. I will say it's kind of close to what I want Yule to smell like, although I haven't tried that one yet.

Yup, that's herbal all right. Very strong, throw for days. I'm also getting a smidge of juniper berry here, though, which is very nice and softens it a bit into something a bit more friendly. This is not something I would usually wear, and I don't know that I need a bottle of it, but I think I'll keep an imp around.

In the imp: Wow! Herbal/pine/medicinal!

Wet: Very much the same as in the imp. This does not make like Oblivion and warm up, but remains very cool, as though there was some menthol/eucalyptus influence here. It's very intriguing.

Drydown and wear: As others have noted, this is a very strong oil and lasts for a long time. On me, it remains cool and methol-y. It almost reminds me of Black Forest, but there's no woodiness in this oil for me. It's not something that I'd normally wear, but it's so intriguing that I'll probably at least keep the frimp. Thanks Labbies! :P

When I got my vial of Hemlock, I was so excited by the colour. The green shade is just lovely! Opening it, I got a whiff of herbs and green grass, something medicinal, but not off-putting.

Applied, it softened down to a lovely, woody, tea infused scent with an overlay of something minty. It's not something I'll wear often, but definitely one I like to have on hand!

I have no clue what's in here. No idea whatsoever. I like the bright green oil and the herbal scent, but I can't be specific because my nose isn't very well trained.

This is a bright green sort of scent, fresh and citrusy and clean. I like it! Though it isn't at all like I expected it, based on the description. Hm. As it dries, I get an odd, bleach note from the blend, which is unfortunate. It's not strong, but, for me, it completely undermines the pretty, lemony overtones of the blend. Alas!

Oy....not good. This is how I found out that I absolutely cannot stand anything with pine in it. I was looking forward to this one but it is so vile on me.

At first it was very herbal and bright and then suddenly---- it's knock-me-out pine, then straight up lemon. I wish it had been complex and refreshing on my skin but it is so astringent, and smells very chemical.

I received this as a frimp. In the bottle it smalls beautiful, herbal and lemony. I couldn't wait to try it. Unfortunately, this just does not go well with my body chemistry. After about half an hour, it smells like dirty garbage on me. The good news is, I have 14 more to try! :P

This oil is green, which I think is cool. :P

However, I don't really care for the scent of it. It smells like burnt herbs on my skin, kind of sharp and acrid. It's interesting, but not something I'd wear as perfume.

I'm loving the Hemlock!

I'm all for the piney scents so this one was great.

First it's strong in the pine department, then it dries down and becomes sweeter on me. Almost like someone candy coated a pine branch! Is it berries of some sort? Not sure. But I do know that I loved my imp of it enough to place a Lab order for a full bottle!!

in the imp this is very herbal and green smelling. very pungent. at first it's like that on the skin too, but once it settles in it gets a warmth that smells like an incensy-wine scent? very strange! i kind of like this, but i think i'll try it again to make my final decision, because i am really on the fence with this one.

Wet: Piney green and herbal sweetness

Dry: pine retreats

Summary: pleasant green. Nice but not something I currently need more than an imp of.

I got this as a Frimp from the Lab, and I MUST have a bottle. This is wonderful.

When I first put it on I got that menthol, eucalyptus smell that most people mention, but as soon as I put it on my skin does something wonderful to it and I smell like . . . christmas. There's the tree in the foreground but softening the pine is the slightly buttery-vanilla smell of cookies baking, and a little cinnamon from the candle that's scenting the house, warmth from the fire and a slight chill around the edges of the room from the frost outside. It's magic. It's funny that I get the warm and fuzzies from a scent with the poisonous moniker of Hemlock, but oh well. My skin tends to search out anything sweet and run with it, so if you have a skin chemistry like that you might want to try this one. As for me, I can't wait to have a bottle.

In the bottle: Hooo, Eucalyptus. Also, a dark rooty scent in the background.

Wet: Eucalyptus liek whoa - very pleasant for unclogging sinuses. There's mint in there too, very much like Vicks Vapo Rub

Drydown: Eucalyptus, citrus, a definitely herby quality that reminds me of herbal honey sweets. Disappears fast, leaving a cedar base.

Overall: Not particularly interesting, very herby and green. Good for unclogging sinuses, but not a perfume that I'd wear.

Edited by Meg

In the bottle – An initial twang of sharp fruit followed by earthy greeness

Wet on me – Predominantly sweet, candy like berries with something earth, almost bitter behind them

Dry on me – Juicy berries give way to green earthy grasses

Overall – I’m surprised at how much I like this, but it is very faint and fades quickly

Hemlock is a GREEN oil, which is super cool, but it smells like nail polish remover and hydrogen peroxide and stuff, which is not.

I wish I was getting pine from this, all I seem to be amping is the eucalyptus :/ I get some faint herbs, but it's all eucalyptus on me. It's probably great for a cold, but I can't wear this as a perfume.

In the bottle: It's green. How can I not love something that's green? At first smell it's sweet, and then it becomes very green and herbal, like damp undergrowth on a wet day.

On the wrist: Mmm. I love this. I smell of pure plant. I know I know this scent, but apparently I fail at leaf-smell identification. Or maybe it's just all the memories of wandering through wet woodland. That's the smell from a distance; with my nose against my wrist the smell is oddly sweet, and very intense.

One hour later: It's actually reminding me of Lush's 'Tramp' shower gel, which I used to adore. Close to the wrist the sweetness is quite strong, and the 'dampness' has a strong edge; not quite an aquatic (thank gods) but it hovers dangerously close. But through it all, it's still dark green and planty. Num.

Three hours later: With time, the 'plant' part of the smell fades, leaving the sweet and slightly aquatic scents. It's a 10/10 for the first hour, but as it ages it becomes maybe a 6.