Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
omly

Forest & Woods Scents (with and without evergreens)

The rotting leaves/decay smell might be well represented by Graveyard Dirt. I don't know--to me it smelled like horrible mushrooms, but many people speak of potting soil, wet earth, that sort of thing. So--although I don't know that there are trees/forest in there per se, you might find that Graveyard Dirt evokes at least one of the sensations you're looking for?

Mmm Grandmother of Ghosts - damp forests, a hint of wet leaves and just the barest brush of florals towards the end of drydown.

Omen - definately - hardcore woodsy, but not of the forest variety on me. More like... logging woodsy.

Hamadryad turned to a very sweet, ripe fruit with a hint of green - no woods unfortunately, though it is very fresh.

Try Ouija for a dry rose wood/lilac. Quite nice, smells like an old cabinet (minus the mothballs).

Queen of Clubs - sharp, wet woods - and a fistful of earth.

Lastly - and I can't vouch for this though I will say a couple of people rec'd it for me when I was looking for a haunted wood smell, Black Forest. There's always Hexxennacht, but it can be tempermental - it either drives off the pine totally, or becomes full of dripping, sappy pine trees.

Hamadryad is very spicy-floral on me rather than woodsy, so just be aware that YMMV on that. Samhain is *the* embodiment of autumn, although there's a lot going on it in besides forest--I recommend it as autumn-in-a-bottle, but not pine-free forest. Hmmm. Wolfsbane is greeny-green-green on me, and so is La Belle Dame sans Merci. Green notes tend to amp on me, though.

Oh, I second the intrigue suggestion. Its my absolute favorite. Darkly woodsy with chocolate and fig notes (which on me are not foody at all). Its lovely, dark and sexy, but definitley not piney.

also, i'd attempt Vineland as well. yes, it has a bit of berry, but it's also got maple and birch -- and i don't mean maple syrup or birch beer :P

Thanks a lot for your suggestions! As for Vinland however, I already have an imp and I don't get any woods out of it, it's just soapy/sweet. I think the aquatics (if there are any) or florals make it soapy and the florals or berries sweet. So for a forest scent I don't think I could wear anything with ANY floral or berry in it since it seems they turn very sweet and dominating on me... In Dublin only the pine note can combat the warm sweetness it turns into on my skin...

Yggdrasil was a piney forest on me too - it faded a bit, but was still noticable after a while, so I don't think that it matches the "pine-free forest".

I'm watching this thread too, as I like pine-free more than a coniferous forest :P

Dublin did the SAME thing to me, and I really didn't like it... and I really did want to like it.

I thought Hamadryad was a sweet, crisp, crunchy forest floor scent.

I want to try Yggdrasil VERY badly!

I am looking for some good scents for a guy who is really into foresty things. One time I gave him a cologne that smells like Cedar and he adored it, so I'm wondering what "woody" scents there are to choose from in addition to all around Earthy nature scents that aren't too feminine for a guy to wear. Also, I am hoping to find an oil for him that smells like old books! What can you recommend?

I definitely think that he should try Dee. The description of notes is:

His scent is soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods.

It's quite an amazing scent- very earthy with an great parchment note. It did not smell primarily of leather either (at least to me)- it's much more in the woodsy category in my opinion. Anyhow, I think it's one of your best bets for this type of scent in the GC blends.

I suggest Luperci. There are quite a few other wonderful tree/earth scents, but I can't call them to mind, presently.

I received a frimp of Lear in my last order, and I think it would be really nice on a guy. White cedarwood, blue sage and bay leaf says the description. It ended up being a LOT of cedar on me, but on him it may be more balanced?

Here's a discussion of BPAL blends that smell like old books. And you can probably find some tree ideas in forests and woods talk. But I will have to put some original thought into the manly, earthly idea, although Luperci popped into my head immediately. It's an LE and won't be available much longer from the Lab, so you will have to move quickly if it appeals to you. :P

You might want to check out Black Forest - *This is the captured scent of a cold, moonless night, lost deep within the darkest wood. Haunting and desolate, this scent evokes images of fairy tale tragedy and half-remembered nightmares. Thick, viscous pine with ambergris, black musk, juniper and cypress.*

On my partner, Old Scratch smells like walking into a library, still wearing the sweater from when you walked to the woods to get there.

Bookwise, I'd add to the chorus of Dee and also toss in Aureus, which (to me) smells like the inside of a wealthy gentlemen's library bathed in the golden glow of late afternoon sun.

He might like Jolly Roger, Loup Garou or The Bow & Crown of Conquest.

Wow, I've got so many options here! I guess I have a few imps to try. I definitely am interested in taking a whiff of the following:

Black Forest

Dublin

Lear

Old Scratch

The Hermit

Gonna keep reading the reviews of the scents you're recommending though, some of them sound spot on for what kind of smells I'm looking for. Thanks!

Dee is my most favorite BPAL love. For me, it evokes, trees, earth, old books and much more.

Old Books: Dee, Mr. Ibis.

Woods: Thanatopsis, Lear, The Castle(discontinued).

Earth: Mr. Jacquel (Patchouli therein, so any "patchouli" scent is going to give that fresh earth vibe).

Something that smells like everything all together? Dee mixed with Thanatopsis would really do the trick.

I'd second Penny Dreadful as an interesting one to try. To me it smelt just like Africa/the red earth that gets everywhere in Tanzania. Though my interpretation of it was drier than a forest. Mandrake is a gorgeous wood on me, and I'd say definitely gender neutral. Several other reviewers of it say it smells like cedar, so it might be one to check out!

Knecht Ruprecht is another nice woody one. "The snow-covered foliage of the Black Forest and the fruit and woods of apple and almond trees. " It's a little heavy on the pine for me, but I do like how it balances the wood with the fruit and nut scents.

For me, Carfax Abbey is all three, and that's why I love it so.

Sorry for suggesting an LE that is no longer available on the site - but it hasn't been terribly long so I think you have a good chance of being able to lay your hands on some.