Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
omly

Forest & Woods Scents (with and without evergreens)

Jupiterian Phoenix hasn't been mentioned yet, it is one of the most accurate pine/cedar forest blends I've smelled.

sarsaparilla, juniper berries, Himalayan cedar, Terebinth pine, sweet clove, green tea, nutmeg, and hyssop

Also, from the GC you might want to try Ranger - buckskin accord with Terebinth pine, Russian birch, black ironwood, elder bark, hay, armoise, juniper, patchouli, galangal root, Spanish moss, and cabreuva.

In the Forest, a Bard of Ireland scent from a few years ago is a forest+leather scent if you can track it down.

Ranger is my favorite forest scent. In my review I said something like, "this is a man in an old leather jacket standing in the middle of the woods on an autumn morning."

Some LEs I don't see listed (both kind of refined leathery, musky woods blends):

Antique - Fossilized amber, juniper berry, wild musk, oudh, vetiver, white cedar, black currant, oakmoss, and leather.

Mars Corotiacus - A dark leather chypre with white sage and juniper berry.

Edited by Balame

The Carpathian Mountains (an old Halloweenie LE) smells like an alpine forest, although it might stray too much to the herbal-medicinal side.

The Snow Storm (Yule LE) is the quintessential evergreen forest. Yule (yes, that's its name - from the Yules LE catalogue) is the same evergreen forest, but colder.

Edited by Vega

Bumping this a bit because I am missing fall! Loup Garou and Deep in Earth both smell like pine forests to me. And Loup Garou has eucalyptus ;) The LE A World Where There Are Octobers smells like you are walking down a path with maple trees. Also if you are thinking about making your house smell like a damp, fog-filled lair then I would suggest the Tree Roots, Fallen Leaves and Tomb Moss atmo spray. I will definitely be thinking of more!

Two more to recommend:

Nocnitsa

Talvikuu

Edited by sprout

A lil' bit new to the BPAL scene, but Ranger is definitely my favorite for forests. I liked the latest Lupercalia (same-title) scent too. I don't know about some of the others here, but I've tried Odin in various stages of aging, and it's always berry-like to me.

Been getting some inspiration from this thread to get some of these others some day, too....

I've done a bit of searching on the forums and website for forest scents. I found threads for specifically wood, as in wood planks, and specifically pine, but I'm really looking for recommendations for scents that evoke forest with all of it's mixed vegetation and earth. Hopefully this isn't redundant, but I wasn't able to turn up a forest thread so let me know if I've overlooked something.

Now, I have something very specific in mind, but if there's not much that matches it, any good forest scent would make me super happy. I love the woods of the pacific northwest U.S. and I would love to carry that kind of scent with me all the time. What I had in mind is something that smells like walking through a lush green forest on a sunlit breezy summer day, cool crisp air rushing through and carrying a faint sweet scent of new leafy undergrowth.

Seeing as how I could only find a few scents on the website with forest tags, I'll take any forest scents-dark, rainy, piney, etc.

One of the first imps I ever got was Yggdrasil, which is almost EXACTLY what I'm looking for, but sadly it turns into intense, old-fashioned pure powder on me within a matter of minutes. In the imp that cool minty note mingling with the woods really creates that vision of a fresh breeze in a forest for me, but all of that disappears immediately.

A few notes:

-Sometimes these scents can be a fine line between authentic and smelling like a bathroom/cheap air freshener/pine-sol/cleaner. I'd much prefer something that doesn't smell like those things.

-I'd also prefer those not too obviously hyper-masculine smelling. Feminine, unisex and maybe just a touch masculine are fine, I realize earthy kind of scents tend to walk that line, just nothing that screams MANLY.

-Also please let me know if a fragrance has a reputation of fading fast, disappearing or aging poorly

Thank you, I'd really appreciate any input! :biggrin:

Hello! I've found a few scents that might fit what you're looking for. Two are LE and out of stock, so you'll have to hunt for them, and one is GC. All three of these are primarily evergreen with bright golden sunshafts filtering through the trees. Of the three, Dark Rosaleen and Dawn: Cernunnos seem closest to what you're looking for.

LE:

Metis - Clary sage, oakmoss, white pine, and terebinth.

Dark Rosaleen - golden frankincense gilding pine pitch, sun-touched amber, and oakmoss resinoid.

GC:

Dawn: Cernunnos - Terebinth pine, basil, green sandalwood, fig leaf, armoise, lemon balm, cypress, myrrh, black cedar, and juniper.

There are some other piney/earthy scents that aren't quiiite foresty, but might also be worth checking out! Here are a few I enjoy for their earthy/woodsy/pine qualities:

Golden Priapus (GC) – Vanilla and amber with juniper, rosewood, and white pine. (this smells like sweet ponderosa pine bark and sap on me)

Midnight Carnival (GC) - galbanum, teak, myrrh, narcissus, patchouli, cacao, labdanum, agarwood, lavender, neroli, and black moss. (this one smells like a magical bonfire in the woods, on me)

Oberon (GC) - Orchid, white musk, and bergamot wafting over juniper berries, with a gentle touch of soft, earthy patchouli. (this is my second-favourite forest dirt scent, with lots of juniper and some orchid over the dirt)

The Grave-Pig (GC) - Fig, oakmoss, mushroom caps, and patchouli. (this is my go-to forest dirt/loam scent, smells like a bed of damp pine needles and soil with mushrooms sprouting from it)

Invitation (LE, currently up in Lupercalia '16) – White juniper, Italian cypress, and yew bush brushed by a veil of white rose, oudh, armoise, lavender, and vanilla sandalwood. (this one is currently more flowery/aquatic on me, but expect it to go much more foresty as it ages)

Druid from the RPG line fades rather quickly on some people and smells like wool as well as forest but it's one of the truest damp forest scents I've smelled. It's not piney so no floor-cleaner worries.

Edited by patina

Forests. yay! I've tried so many but I know that the specific thing in my mind is not necessarily the specific thing in yours, so here is a bunch of ideas:

Yggdrasil is my FAVE, I'm sorry it didn't work for you! If it doesn't work on your skin, perhaps try a scent locket.

Yup, Druid really is like the whole forest, including moss and lichen and soil along wtih trees.

Death on a Pale Horse (just ignore the name and think woodlands)

Odin

Robin Goodfellow

The Apothecary (seems more field than forest to me but reminds me of the sunshine and leafiness you mention)

Greed (I know, odd, but again just ignore the name and think woodlands)

Arkham (this doesn't fit the type of forest I was looking for personally but may fit your description)

Machu Picchu (maybe?)

Pais de la Canela

There are usually some scents like this at Yuletime, like Yule or... others? for foresty, i've tried to steer clear of LE in case something were to become The Ultimate Beloved and hten be impossible to find, haha.

Ochosi (maybe?)

Maybe Slobbering Pine ? Which on me was *less* pine than many others despite the name; I totally hear you on the dangers of too-pine-esque.

Hello! I've found a few scents that might fit what you're looking for. Two are LE and out of stock, so you'll have to hunt for them, and one is GC. All three of these are primarily evergreen with bright golden sunshafts filtering through the trees. Of the three, Dark Rosaleen and Dawn: Cernunnos seem closest to what you're looking for.

LE:

Metis - Clary sage, oakmoss, white pine, and terebinth.

Dark Rosaleen - golden frankincense gilding pine pitch, sun-touched amber, and oakmoss resinoid.

GC:

Dawn: Cernunnos - Terebinth pine, basil, green sandalwood, fig leaf, armoise, lemon balm, cypress, myrrh, black cedar, and juniper.

There are some other piney/earthy scents that aren't quiiite foresty, but might also be worth checking out! Here are a few I enjoy for their earthy/woodsy/pine qualities:

Golden Priapus (GC) – Vanilla and amber with juniper, rosewood, and white pine. (this smells like sweet ponderosa pine bark and sap on me)

Midnight Carnival (GC) - galbanum, teak, myrrh, narcissus, patchouli, cacao, labdanum, agarwood, lavender, neroli, and black moss. (this one smells like a magical bonfire in the woods, on me)

Oberon (GC) - Orchid, white musk, and bergamot wafting over juniper berries, with a gentle touch of soft, earthy patchouli. (this is my second-favourite forest dirt scent, with lots of juniper and some orchid over the dirt)

The Grave-Pig (GC) - Fig, oakmoss, mushroom caps, and patchouli. (this is my go-to forest dirt/loam scent, smells like a bed of damp pine needles and soil with mushrooms sprouting from it)

Invitation (LE, currently up in Lupercalia '16) – White juniper, Italian cypress, and yew bush brushed by a veil of white rose, oudh, armoise, lavender, and vanilla sandalwood. (this one is currently more flowery/aquatic on me, but expect it to go much more foresty as it ages)

Thank you! These are some great suggestions.

Metis sounds beautiful, I'll be keeping an eye out for this one. Just missed the window, I should have been paying attention! Dark Rosaleen too.

I'll make a note of those GC scents for sure, they sound too lovely not to try. Earthy and piney scents are good too, hopefully some of these will work well with my skin chemistry!

Druid from the RPG line fades rather quickly on some people and smells like wool as well as forest but it's one of the truest damp forest scents I've smelled. It's not piney so no floor-cleaner worries.

I've been curious about that one, good to hear it has that nice true scent. May have to go for an imp with my next order, hope it works on me!

Forests. yay! I've tried so many but I know that the specific thing in my mind is not necessarily the specific thing in yours, so here is a bunch of ideas:

Yggdrasil is my FAVE, I'm sorry it didn't work for you! If it doesn't work on your skin, perhaps try a scent locket.

Yup, Druid really is like the whole forest, including moss and lichen and soil along wtih trees.

Death on a Pale Horse (just ignore the name and think woodlands)

Odin

Robin Goodfellow

The Apothecary (seems more field than forest to me but reminds me of the sunshine and leafiness you mention)

Greed (I know, odd, but again just ignore the name and think woodlands)

Arkham (this doesn't fit the type of forest I was looking for personally but may fit your description)

Machu Picchu (maybe?)

Pais de la Canela

There are usually some scents like this at Yuletime, like Yule or... others? for foresty, i've tried to steer clear of LE in case something were to become The Ultimate Beloved and hten be impossible to find, haha.

Ochosi (maybe?)

Maybe Slobbering Pine ? Which on me was *less* pine than many others despite the name; I totally hear you on the dangers of too-pine-esque.

Ah, I hadn't thought of getting a scent locket but I definitely should. Yggdrasil is too beautiful not to be able to wear.

Awesome, thank you for the list, it's good to know which ones people find foresty that aren't necessarily described that way on the website.

Already from perusing some reviews of Robin Goodfellow, Death on a Pale Horse and Odin, these seem in the ballpark of what I'm looking for.

Do you happen to know about The Forest Reverie? Reviews of that one are mixed, some saying it's purely fruity or soapy, others saying they get some of that lovely forest smell

I've tried the Forest Reverie before and I find it smells amazing in the imp, one of the truest forest scents I ever smelled, but it went weird on my skin due to the grape vine. :( So really, it's down to your personal skin chem whether or not the grape interferes with the forest notes. I would recommend trying an imp, because even if it ends up not working on your skin it could be perfect in a scent locket. :-)

Oh! I never even tried Forest Reverie because it had so many floral notes. I tend to not do well with "grape" scents, and my husband is allergic to lily, so I need to pass, but it'd be easy to try since it's GC.

Also, I found the "forest" thread!
http://www.bpal.org/topic/3325-forest-and-woods-scents-with-without-evergreens/

Though I literally disagree iwth the very first rec in the thread so LOL YMMV. Yeah, reading more of the thread, it's confusing, because some of those first-page recs definitely sound like recs for "wood" not "the woods".

But it reminded me of Troll, which is another suggestion for ya.

Also yes definitely stay tuned for the fall Halloween LEs and the Yule holiday LEs, there are often some really great ones that are LE.

Mod Note: Rolled this into the existing thread.

On topic: I loved Mount Fuji Reflected in Lake Misaica from last year's Shungas (An oakmoss chypre with black cypress, wild mint, labdanum, pine needles, white sandalwood, and white cedar.)

For a rainforest rather than evergreen forest, I'd like to pimp Enraged Orangutan Musk (five, dark, aggressive musks, ambergris bouquet, Malaysian rainforest plant extracts, black amber and orange peel.). It's one of my favorite things.

I am in love with the Fae Forest atmosphere spray from the Black Phoenix Trading Post. ETA Notes: Mist-shrouded woods: Siberian fir needles, white pine bark, aspen leaf, wild lily, bergamot, wood violet, thimbleberry, sun-star, golden bell, snowdrop, heartsease, and bloodroot.

Edited by Auspicious Q