Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
omly

Forest & Woods Scents (with and without evergreens)

I'm a guy and I like some of the woodsy scents. Add me to the Dee and Aureus fans. I wasn't crazy about Black Forest...but that's when I was going through my 'hating juniper' phase, and I would actually like to try it again. Burial might be good for woodsy and earthy.

My favorite 'foresty' scent is the newer Wolf Moon (it came out in December of '06 but the bottle says '07). "This is the dead of winter: a frozen night, chill wind, and the sharp, warm perfume of blood, fur, fang, and claw. Winter air, Terebinth pine, juniper berry, dusty orris, deep amber, white sandalwood, black musk, blue cedar, and tonka." Actually it's one of my favorite bpal scents, period.

Forest and wood scents are some of my very favourites!!

I've liked Jersey Devil and Black Forest alot, but Yggdrasil was awful on me.

From the LE's Hexennacht was lovely, but more musky/sweet than woody, Samhain and Samhainophobia have that lovely "autumn leaves" scent that conjure images of forest outskirts in the fall, and I love and always associate vetiver as a forest-bed/earth smell, so I love Saturnalia for that.

My ultimate "summery evergreen forest and woodsmoke" scent is the LE Dogs Playing Poker scent:

Stranger in Camp

It is unbelievable :P

Yggdrasil has received multiple plaudits on this thread, but I'd also like to add in another related scent: Ochosi. Ochosi is the same fresh, live woods as Yggdrasil, but without the greenery. It's very clean and I find it unisex (though some others argue it is more feminine).

So I generally don't get along with woodsy blends (cedar and sometimes sandalwood go all dusty-floorboards on me), and my usual suspects tend to be floral and/or foody. However, someone frimped me a bit of Slobbering Pine a while ago -- whoever it was, thank you SO much, because that never would've made it on my wishlist but I absolutely adore it.

I tried Black Forest last night (from a swap with xiangshui, thank you dear!) and was in heaven. Dark, haunting pine forest...just.....guh.

I also have an imp of Thanatopsis awaiting sampling.

Can anyone recommend more of these beautiful forest scents for me which are light on the woods, heavy on the greenery?

You might want to try the Jersey Devil from the Bewitching Brews category. It does have cedar in it, but the pine and all the other things added make it a sweet green pine blend.

Yes, Jersey Devil!

Also Golden Priapus and Loup Garou have that bright piney note as well (Priapus has the warmth of vanilla, while Garou has eucalyptus which can put some people off. if you do like eucalyptus, try Jabberwocky as well).

Yew-Trees possibly too?

If you can find Mistletoe, try that for sure!

Thanks for the recommendations :P I've been eyeing Jersey Devil; the tomato leaf in there sounds yummy as well. And vanilla! Awesome!

When was Mistletoe released? I don't think I've even heard it mentioned -- I'm eagerly looking forward to this year's Yule scents; there's usually a snow-and-pine/winter forest-themed one, isn't there?

Also, if you happen to run across an unloved Stranger in Camp from the LE Dogs Playing Poker, you might want to grab it. It is a beautiful green forest and probably my favorite of the forest scents. :P

You might take a look at Nocnitsa - I've always felt like she was in the same forest as Black Forest, just a different part of it, where people scuff up the fir needles so that you can catch whiffs of the earth underneath. It feels like a warmer day than Black Forest, too. :P

Thanatopsis is great, but that is already on your list.

I'd also throw in Omen and Nocnitsa.

Yew-trees definitely, it has the pine at first and drys down (on me at least) to a vanilla berry scent. Not vanilla and berries, but if there was a fruit called a vanilla berry, that is what it would smell like.

Wolfsbane is a possibility also.

I've gotta second the Loup Garou reccomendation. To me, Loup Garou is Black Forest on a sunny day.

You might also keep an eye out for Wolf Moon '06- it's a soft, furry sort of pine scent, if that makes sense.

I've gotta second the Loup Garou reccomendation. To me, Loup Garou is Black Forest on a sunny day.

Thirded! Loup is one of my favorite scents - every other woodsy scent is "nice but not Loup" to me! It's very warm, like a sun warmed pine forest.

Although I have tried many "woody," "woodsy," and "foresty" blends, I am still searching for my perfect forest blend. For me, this would be the scent of a deciduous forest comprised mainly of oak and maple trees, with nary a pine tree in sight. I haven't found anything like that so far, and I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I'm somewhat limited by tricky skin chemistry, and deal-breaker notes include: pine, rose (most florals, actually), vanilla, and red musk. Vetiver and dragon's blood are both iffy, but I'd be willing to gamble on blends containing them. Blends with dirt/earth/moss notes are welcome, as are blends with pronounced cedar and sandalwood notes.

Here's what I'm thinking of trying (I'd appreciate comments on these):

Ace of Pentacles

Dee

Doc Constantine

Ochosi

And here's what I've already tried:

Anne Bonny - I like this and would like recs for similar scents

Arkham- on me, this was soft, sweet, fresh, floral, and girly... no woods

Aureus - woody-powdery-Play Doh-y

Bewitched - light, efferevescent, and berry-ish, I like it but it's not woodsy at all

Burial - too piney

Clio - nice, but too dry for a true woods scent

Danse Macabre - although I liked it, this was a bit sharp and medicinal

Death of Autumn - vetiver, vetiver, vetiver

Hamadryad - wintergreen

The Hesperides - nice, but the apple really popped out on me

Incantation - green-deodorant-soap-cologne with an undertone of lit cigarette

Intrigue - I like this, but it's all fig on me

The Jersey Devil - smelled like a cranberry candle on me

King of Clubs - very sharp and medicinal

Lear - smelled like baby powder on me, although less so than Magus

Luperci - love it, but it's not very foresty

Magus - smelled like baby powder on me

Mandrake - I like this one a lot, but it is very faint on me and smells primarily of cedar

Nocnitsa - smelled like a bayberry candle on me

Oblivion - super-strong man-cologne, I really did not like this

October - crisp, green, and clean... it's lovely, but it's too green and fresh

Odin - too powdery/sweet

Omen - I like this one a lot, but it's not quite right. Similar to Robin Goodfellow when dry

The Pit & The Pendulum - nice, but too dry

Robin Goodfellow - smelled like candied greens when wet, a bit too powdery when dry

Samhainophobia - crisp, green, and clean... very similar to October

Stranger Fig - I liked this, but it's not quite right

Sri Lanka - my favorite wood scent by far, this is wood that's been dried and is no longer alive in the forest

Tombstone - root beer initially, vanilla candle when dry

Ulalume - fresh, green, and natural when wet, it's very clean and soapy when dry

Vinland - ROSE, ammonia

Umbra - all vetiver, all the time

Whippoorwill - very similar to Robin Goodfellow

Wolfsbane - I can't find my notes on this one, but it's in my swaps pile so it can't have been that good!

Yggdrasil - light and clean, it wasn't particularly woody or woodsy

Zombi - rose, rose, rose... ammonia

Any other suggestions? Anything I've missed?

Thanks!

Okay, here are some foresty suggestions, some are seconding (thirding, fourthing, etc.) suggestions above:

Loup Garou

Jersey Devil

Oborot

Carpathian Mts.

Talvikuu

all evergreen forests

Aureus

Yggdrasil

Cordelia

Oberon

Caterpillar

Lear

Deciduous forests

and

Roux-ga-Roux

Swampy forest

The Rat King

Mossy forest

hope this helps...

Wondering if you guys could help me help a friend? To quote her directly "Anyone know of any good oils or incense that smell like outdoors. by outdoors, i mean trees and damp and life (something that may perhaps remind me of Sequoia National Park?)"

I was going to grab an imp for her to sample in my next purchase, but I'm not a big woodsy person (though I quite like Hamadryad and Dublin they're pretty floral on me), so I haven't tried much, I've also never been to Sequoia :P. I was thinking Black Forest, Yggdrasil, Loup Garou, Yew-Trees or Burial but I can't decide which, any suggestions as to what scent would be most suitable for her?

Edited by Illessa

Wondering if you guys could help me help a friend? To quote her directly "Anyone know of any good oils or incense that smell like outdoors. by outdoors, i mean trees and damp and life (something that may perhaps remind me of Sequoia National Park?)"

I was going to grab an imp for her to sample in my next purchase, but I'm not a big woodsy person (though I quite like Hamadryad and Dublin they're pretty floral on me), so I haven't tried much, I've also never been to Sequoia :P . I was thinking Black Forest, Yggdrasil or Burial but I can't decide which, any suggestions as to what scents would be most suitable for her?

Slobbering Pine is all evergreen forest after a thunderstorm. Its delicious if you like evergreens and woodsy scents. Its part of Rappacini's Garden, and def. worth an imp. for your friend to try.

Ligur from the Good Omens set is pure dark forest for me. It is unimpable but you might be able to get a decant of the for sale-section of the forums :P

Depending on what my chemistry’s up to, Faiza can to mind a humid, tropical rainforest on me, or fresh, broken green stalks, branches, and flowers during a nice cold, pouring rain.

Edited by icing

I want something that smells like the northernmost California rest stop on I-5, on the Klamath River. We were there yesterday, and it smelled of clean, sweet pine (not medicinal or Pine-Sol-ish) and snow--it was snowing!--and fresh, fresh air and river. I couldn't stop taking deep breaths. It was heaven. I want that smell.

Doc Constantine to me smells like a really enjoyable fella that hangs out in the forest a lot.

And I think that Chant d'Automne and Priala the Human Phoeinx have forresty qualities but I haven't quite figured them out yet.

What about a moderate, white woods scent mixed over a musk? Any of those?

Doc Constantine is sheer musk. It is very bright and kind of smells like someone brewing something in the woods. I wouldn't say light woods necessarily because to me the wood part is like pine needle tea being made outside over a cedarwood fire. But it is a really nice musk fragrance to me. Light in spirit.

What about a moderate, white woods scent mixed over a musk? Any of those?

Doc Constantine is sheer musk. It is very bright and kind of smells like someone brewing something in the woods. I wouldn't say light woods necessarily because to me the wood part is like pine needle tea being made outside over a cedarwood fire. But it is a really nice musk fragrance to me. Light in spirit.

Thanks! I'll give it a go.