Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
slave1

Lady Luck Blues

Lady Luck, please smile down on me. A melancholy scent, aching with longing, created to appease Fickle Fortune. Honeyed Bulgarian rose, vanilla flower, benzoin, tonka, black plum, peony, and iris.

This is ever so lovely.

In the bottle, it's tart plum and rose.

On my skin, it's rich plum, with that tart note. As it dries, the florals emerge and the tartness disappears. There's definitely honey, rose, and vanilla flower coming out here! I can smell the iris quite strongly, and the tonka adds a bit of spicy depth. I really like this! Edited by Shollin

Lady Luck Blues definitely has a lot of richness and depth to it, but on my skin, she turns into old lady rose soap. Oh, how I was hoping to love this! :P I'm afraid I've already passed her on to a better home.

Lady Luck Blues is my favorite out of the recent Friday the 13th update. It is also my boy's favorite (on me; it's a very girly-pink scent that he wouldn't ever wear, lol). When I asked him to smell it, he said, "It's nice. I like it. It's a little baby powdery though... you hate it, don't you?" And it is a touch powdery, but it's not powdery enough for me to dislike it. I wouldn't have even noticed it was powdery at all if he hadn't pointed it out to me.

This is definitely a rose scent. The rose note dominates and stays strong... and it smells rich, red, and a bit spicy to my nose. It's the only note that I can definitely pick out, though there is some fruitiness to this blend as well. At first it smelled like that rich rose and sweet tarts, though the fruity aspects became more juicy in the drydown. It is definitely a tart fruit in this blend. There is also a creamy sweetness here that lingers and pops up every once in a while (perhaps the honey and tonka?).

I really like this. It's an excellent rose blend, and a girly scent that I can actually pull off. I love how sultry the roses are. The touch of tart fruit and creamy honey-tonka-vanillaflower make this especially beautiful.

Sadly, on my skin this is nothing but rose. And not even real rose, but rose-scented lotion or something. :P This one is definitely not for me. Off to the swaps.

More rose! I feel like I am on rose overload lately, and I'm loving every minute of it. Lady Luck Blues is elegant and slightly debauched, like a lady leaning against a wall and smoking a cigarette, with one stocking falling down. I can smell each listed note here, and they're all ones I enjoy, although iris can go a bit strange on me. But in LLB it's lovely and adds just the right spike to what might otherwise be a pleasant, but somewhat placid, combination.

Eminently wearable and a definite keeper.

I was a little scared that the rose might do bad things on my skin in this blend. Thankfully it doesn't because it is tempered by the other sweet notes- phew! This is a gorgeous creamy sweet floral on my skin. I can detect the most rose, plum and the lovely tonka note. I am really enjoying this scent a lot! It has a lot of throw and fair amount of staying power as well. This is not an overly refind rose blend, but a more slinky and comfortable one- one that's just right for me :D I am glad there have been quite a few blends with rose in them lately that haven't been mucked up by my skin chemistry.

:P

In bottle: Very floral, mostly rose.

On me: Very floral. Rose with a touch of the chemical quality I dislike. Touch of benzoin and tonka underneath. Not sure if it's for me or not.

This review is more for me so I can remember that I have tried this than anything else. I say that because I don't know how helpful it will be for other folks.

In the vial: Lots of florals...a little sweet--honey and plum, defintely. I get a Pink Moon 07-ish vibe from this...maybe the florals with the honey give that impression?

Wet: Rose-scented nail polish remover.

Dry: More rose-scented nail polish remover.

This went spectacularly bad on my skin. The waft from the vial was beautiful...if only I could have gotten that on my skin. Rose vs my skin chemistry...usually never a good thing.

LadyLuckBluesSS.jpg

Imp: light, fresh roses -- but not the deep, rich, red roses of love. These are more white or maybe yellow roses, with more of a wistful or sad sense. Or it could just be my mind, knowing the blues are always sad. :P

Wet: Light rose, not much else at this point.

Dry: This is very pretty, light...but pretty. I like it and I'm glad I bought a bottle while it was live. That said, I have to also say this isn't my favorite of Beth's rose blends because of its very lightness. With a name referencing the blues, one might expect a blend to be heavy, sad, and full of painful memories. This blend isn't really so much painful as wistful. Which I guess could also represent the blues, especially the blues a woman might suffer. The throw is very light, and fades fairly quickly, requiring frequent renewing. My bottle won't last long at this rate.

Verdict: I'm keeping it, and I'll wear it, but there are so many other rose blends I like better.

Edited by stellans

Just opened this up and first whiff....ROSES!!! EEK!

O.K. so I figure that I will just turn on my portable fan and try the Lady on my wrist (fan to keep me from feeling ill if this rose is not a good rose for me.

All along I am thinking Lady Luck, please smile down on me.......

..And the answer is.....NO!!! Not only no, but Heck NO!

Maybe the other scents will rise up and overpower the dominant rose if I just store it away for awhile. Because right now, I am going for the soap, water, and Windex!

At least Whip is still my friend.

Boy, do I have the blues...puts on her shades and gets out the harmonica..... :P

Wet: Very sharp iris. *gulp*

First on: Soapy rose, soapy iris, something a little sweet.

Dry: Soapy rose, iris, tonka. I was hoping for more vanilla, benzoin, and plum. This ain't for me.

In the imp: rose rose rose rose plum peony rose.

On me, wet: that's a lot of rose. It's a lot like London, big damp tbold roses, and like in that scent, it's nice for a while but then it starts feeling mildewish.

On me, dry: powdery chemicalish rose over weird gludgey honey-fruitness.

Verdict: oh well. I figured it was worth a try, but I'm not too sad.

In the imp: Roses, gardenia or something similar, touch of honey.

On my skin: I get rose and a touch of honey. The honey and rose is a very interesting combination. It sort of stays on top at first, but then the benzoin comes out. I don't really get any of the iris at any point in this, but I do think it's there. Perhaps I'm just not familiar enough with iris to pinpoint it.

After a while: The rose and resin aspect melds together and sort of amps over the rest of the notes.

I like this, but I don't love it. I'm definitely glad I was able to experience it.

Lady Luck Blues

In the bottle: a soft, sweet, fruity rose.

Wet on skin: gorgeous honeyed rose lifted by peony and vanilla flower with fruity plum.

Dry on skin: this is beautiful! It's a very gentle rose, with a touch of slightly sharp honey, sweetened by a deep tart-sweet plum note. The vanilla, tonka and benzoin may also be sweetening the scent up a bit, and I can also smell the iris and peony here and there. This is such a lovely scent-the rose takes the lead but it is cradled by sweet and fruity-floral notes. A very graceful and feminine scent.

After a while: the rose note becomes a little drier and crisper, the honey note in here is almost like that of Osun, a real wildflower honey scent, slightly like honeycomb and rather tangy. This scent now reminds me of Jezebel meets Three Brides-the honeyed rose is reminiscent of Jezebel, but the rose-benzoin-vanilla flower combo is like that of Three Brides (without the amber and sandalwood). The plum adds a rich fruity fullness to the scent, and at this point it smells almost like a sugared plum, contrasting the sharpness of the honeyed dry rose scent.

The scent becomes a lovely mix of sugared plum jam, dry rose petals and honey with a smooth tonka undertone. This is really lovely. And then the scent is a gorgeous sugar plum and sugared rose scent-gentler than Hope's sugared rose, it's like roses and plums drizzled with honey and sugar syrup. The drydown is what may actually be vanilla flower, a sweet, sweet floral note, with touches of plum and tonka and honey.

Verdict: I love most of Beth's complex and luxurious rose-based scents, and this is another winner. Not as richly resinous or floral as most, this one has accents of sugary fruit and honey that I love. The rose is velvet-petalled, full and beautiful as usual, and it is glazed with a golden honey layer and surrounded by sugar plums-though not too sweet, because tonka and benzoin were adding sophisticated sweetness to the plum. the peony mingles with the rose and the scent is womanly and rich. there are times when the honey takes the lead, and other times when the sweet plum becomes the dominant note, and other times when the notes seem all equal. The different notes morph slowly and smoothly to show themselves off before the scent ends off on a sweet and gorgeous mix of benzoin-tonka-vanilla sweetness supporting honeyed rose and plum. This reminds me of Jezebel, but it's a lot nicer and a lot more subtle than Jezebel. I'm not sure if it’s a favourite among the rosy-complex-floral-orientals I have but I love it, and I think some of the notes will mature nicely with age. A definite keeper!

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? yes! I think this will age gorgeously as well. Definitely keeping one bottle, I'm not sure if I need two bottles, but this is going to grow on me, I think.

If you like this, try: Rose Moon, Jezebel, Three Brides, Magdalene, The Empress, Osun, Hope, Dolce Stil Nuovo

*accompanies self on six-string guitar*

I got the blues today,

I got those mean old Lady Luck blues.

Yes, I got the blues today, child,

I got those mean, mean Lady Luck BLU-ues.

I put some on my hand now,

and I smell like my old man's gym SHO-oes.

Some rose is good to me, honey,

and one rose is just low-down bad.

Yes, some rose I can wear, now,

but Rose Cross rose is just plain mean and bad.

I hoped that old Lady would smile,

but instead she went and made me sad.

Hear me, now! I went looking for Miss Iris,

I went looking for my honey and my sugar plum.

I searched high and low for vanilla,

I looked for tonka, I looked for smokey plum,

yes, child! But that bad rose wrapped around me:

now I'm just sittin' here feeling DUH-umb....

This is reminding me both of Abhisarika and Osun. (Thing is, Abhisarika's one of the scents that I associate with someone else...hmm, not sure if that means I can wear this or not.)

I usually amp tonka like crazy, but in this, I'm getting mostly the rose and honey. I need to wear this a few times to see if Lady Luck Blues is for me.

This is a gorgeous, elegant scent. I'm really picky about rose, but LLB is a win. It goes on almost pure rose, but almost immediately morphs into a sort of caramelly-rose. I don't know what it is exactly- it's like caramel but not sweet, slightly burnt but pleasantly so, not harsh at all. Over time, this starts to fade down and the plum comes out. The rose is the dominant note the whole time, but never overwhelmingly so, and (except for when it's wet) doesn't drown out the other notes. I am so glad I got this, it's simply lovely.

i really wanted to love this one, it sounded right up my alley, scent-wise. however, my skin amps up the plum which can be hit or miss on me. i LIKE this scent, i just don't love it. i was hoping more for a rose-vanilla scent with a hint of plum, but instead it's a strong plum with warm florals in the background, which is pretty, just a bit too fruity for me.

The label picture of that mansion's crumbling facade is well-chosen. When I smell this on me, it's a dusty rose floral, and it reminds me of old dresser drawer linings, of fond memories and past conquests. Something in there smells lilac-y to me too, maybe it's that peony/vanilla combo. Anyway, I don't think it's for me, but like with so many other fragrances on here, I'm glad I got to experience it.

from the bottle: honey-plum-roses

on skin: ROSES

several hours and multiple handwashings later: purple roses.

i guess the "purple" imagery is my brain translating the plum scent into a visual.

verdict: Lady Luck and i haven't ever gotten on well.

Hello, pretty rose! I think this scent suits the description very well. It is a bit somber and melancholy. I really like it. The honeyed rose is swimming around in a lot of other notes...all of which are a touch hard to pick out from the blend. Certainly the vanilla flower, benzoin, and tonka are in there with some nondesript florals...I think the black plum is giving this the slightest splash of tanginess. This one's clear, and pretty. If it were a color it'd be indigo blue! I'll be getting lots of wear out of this one! I like it more and more the longer I wear it! It really sets itself apart from the traditional rose category. :P

5/5

In the bottle I can smell a sharp rose, and then a touch of honey.

On my skin, all I can smell is the sharp. harsh rose note, it makes me feel sick!

Now it has dried it has morphed into a softer honey rose, then rounds out even more to a sweeter floral, I think I can smell the vanilla flower.

It has been on my wrist for about 20 minutes it has faded to a barely there sweet floral.

If it hadn't been for the awful wet stage, I would really like this, but I can't put up with that really sharp, harsh first wet note, it does make me feel sick!

Wet, the honeyed rose is strongest. This is a light scent on me. It's changing just a bit and the rose is poking through a bit more, but this is still extremely faint on my skin. I think this might be one I'm going to have to mix with another rose scent like London or Rose Red. This one is just too light!

in the imp: honey and rose in equal measure. yeah!

wet on skin: the honey comes on strong, the rose is now in the background. still lovely :D

dry down: BEAUtiful honey, subtle, gorgeous rose :D

in all:it reminds me of rose hookah tobacco while still wet in the package, which is high praise from me, believe me.

more, PLEASE!!! :P

Edited by VioletChaos

In bottle; This made me a little queasy. The rose/vanilla combo smelled a bit like my Mother’s angelfood cake, but with the other florals on top of it, it was just too much for me. Wet: OMG overwhelming floral with rose and peopny on top. It’s all I can smell and I just put a tiny bit on my wrist. Dry; Rose rose rose rose rose