There's the time, friend of mine

I need your sympathy

I've got his picture turned upside down

I've sprinkled goofer dust all around

Since my man is gone I'm all confused

I've got those Lady Luck blues

Find my good man

I've got those Lady Luck blues

Lady Luck, please smile down on me. A melancholy scent, aching with longing, created to appease Fickle Fortune. Honeyed Bulgarian rose, vanilla flower, benzoin, tonka, black plum, peony, and iris.

In Bottle: Sweet rose and florals

On Skin: Wow, a rose I like! It must be the honey because its not a dry sour rose, its sweet and alive. The other florals add to the beautiful feminine feel of this scent. So pretty!! This is beauty in a bottle. Seriously, I wear this and feel like I am woman hear me roar! The benzoin and tonka sweeten it up further and have a gorgeous resinous depth. Very perfumey and elegant. I dont feel this scent is melancholy really maybe a little wistful but still not negative at all. A bit of yearning. As far as florals go, I really like this scent. Light to medium throw and short wearlength.

Edited by Shollin

oh wow, i was almost first! that would have been an odd experience--glad i'm not :P

ok, i have to start this out by saying that usually rose amps like stale ROSE bath oil on my skin but that I have hope since there are various rose incarnations in bpal and that there are other scents which amp beautifully on my skin to counteract the ROSE show a bit (like the honey here in Lady Luck Blues)

Wet: Pure rose, but an actually nice rose. This is a rose that is finally behaving itself on me…at least thusfar.

Initial dry-down:…and then it turns into ALL ROSE. dang it! at least it’s an ok rose but it’s all rose all the time kind of idea and I wished for a little more complexity—I was hoping for a bit of smoky sweetness alongside the rose to temper it but no deal. dang—now I have to consider whether I want to swap it off or not….

However, it does turn subtle and has almost no throw so I’m hoping with some aging Lady Luck Blues will get more smoky and sweet and all the scents round out and play with each other better (since it does go back and forth between that pretty rounded scent and a tiny bit softened ROSE).

Rating: 3/5

Edited by Lunaratu

a review of Lady Luck Blues

Vial ~ soft rose and peony is what I get at first sniff. As I keep smelling it, I mostly get just an overall light and soft floral scent comprised most of rose and just a tiny hint of plum.

Wet ~ hmm, the rose has disappeard on my wrist or my nose has gone kaput. I asked my daughter to smell my wrist and she said she could smell the rose and to her it smelled "perfumey". I tend to have a hard time smelling lighter scents, so after inhaling the coffee beans, I tried my wrist again. I can pick up the rose, it seems to have this watery smell, not aquatic per se. I think it might be the benzoin.

Drying ~ The rose is coming out more and I am not picking up any peony or plum. The rose is still light, but as it is drying the rose comes out just a bit more.

Dry ~ the rose really jumps out now and I detect a slight bit of sweet and spiciness underneath it. I was afraid that my skin might eat this up as it has with other soft scents, but that is not the case with this one, in fact I cannot quit huffing my wrist.

Fade ~ Lady Luck Blues has settled down and the rose is now this gentle scent that is not real faint. It is soft, delicate and very feminine, but also sexy too, I keep imagining wearing in bed to allure my boyfriend.

Final thoughts ~ To be honest, I didn't have much hope for this fragrance when I first tried it on. I assumed it fade away too fast and altogether eaten up by skin. But as it dried, the scent came alive and is a very beautiful soft scent. It is not overpowering at all. I do wish some of the plum stuck out better, but it's lack of appearance on drydown does not take away from it at all. On a scale of 1 to 5, I would give it a 4

In the bottle: Very rosy floral. For a moment I was reminded of (this is weird!) Bilquis minus the almond and apple. It's the same sort of rose that comes out once the foody parts of Bilquis fade, for me.

On: Gorgeous smoky rose. I don't know what's giving it that smoky note, but it's very nice. It's also turning quite light almost immediately, so I hope it doesn't wear off, but I've got allergies this week so I can't trust my nose to tell what's lasting.

I showered it off after about two and a half hours, but in that time it hadn't faded beyond the initial drydown. It's stayed a nice rose. I think I expected it to be a little more complex and not so purely floral (though I'm not sure why, all the notes listed are floral) but I like it at least as well as I liked London, and I kept my imp of London for the longest time thinking I might order it eventually. Lady Luck Blues has the slightest bit more complexity without going overboard.

For some reason, I wasn't expecting this one to be a rose scent, and now I hope it doesn't smell too similar to Rose Moon when that arrives, because my skin tends to simplify rose-dominant scents down to pure rose, and while that can be nice (see: London), I don't need two.

The first scent I smelled in this oil was rose. It was prominent enough that I felt a little disappointed because rose is probably my least favorite note that was listed in the description. However... when it's dry, the scent warms up. It's not quite so rosy after all. The vanilla flower and tonka combine to give it a very soft undertone, like rose petals. The florals in this aren't green at all; they're soft and plush. The benzoin and plum give it a depth that I can't remember smelling in a rose scent before. A lot of times rose scents turn into kind of soapy-smelling scents on me, but not this one. This one is very much on the perfume end rather than the soap end.

It's quite feminine and very beautiful. I'm really careful about rose scents, but this is one I'll wear.

This one starts out as sweet rose. As it wears, it deepens and sweetens, and the vanilla and tonka start to peek through the rose. There’s a slight spice to the scent in the background, but it is very, very faint. It reminds me how I remember Beatrice, but sweeter and not as spicy. It has good staying power and ends as a sweet, smooth rose.

Fickle is RIGHT! First its rose, then its plum, then honey glazes over it all, and yep - there's that smoky, sedate spice quality drifting over a soft vanilla purr. But something here keeps a sharp edge I'm not sure I like... peony sweetness? Lady Luck Blues is very beautiful. I'm just not goily enough to wear it. :P As with Bad Luck Woman Blues, writer/composer/artist of "Lady Luck Blues," Bessie Smith, wasn't credited in the description... And I just can't let Bessie go overlooked, y'all. :D

ETA: Found the credits for this at the end of the lyrics in "Shiny & New" section. Thanks sookster. Good to know, hard to find.

Edited by wichapi

For me, the rose really takes a back seat in this blend, or at least it's not the shrill, demanding rose that usually ruins most perfumes for me. The honey, plum and benzion balance it nicely until it's very smokey, seductive and intriguing. It's got a lot of depth to it, and when I put this on my wrist, I feel like I should be wearing a long evening dress with a gardenia in my hair. Very girly and sophisticated, and definitely a keeper.

I'm not entirely certain I like this one. At first, in the bottle it was all florals but not in an overwhelming "I'm in a florist's shop" sort of way. Kinda nice but seemed a bit....tame? On it smelled liked spicy lavender to me (though I could be confusing that w/ a rose scent). Now it's faded to something else and I'm just not sure about it, I can't put my finger on what I don't care for- it's definitely floral steeped in something and maybe I'm just not a floral girl.

this is pretty rosy at first, with a bit of plum. as it dries, the other notes come into balance. the tonka especially becomes present, and as it wears, it feels less like a dominating rose scent, and more like a creamy, rose-plum. it's quite nice, although it does smell similar to other rose blends i already have - love in the asylum being one, with the rose/tonka combo. the plum in this one though, really does make it quite lovely. i'm still not sure that rose is a great scent for me - a few have worked here and there, but i think i will always have a love/hate relationship w/ rose. still, i guess what stands out for me in this blend is the balance of all the notes - it's really got a nice harmoneous blend.

bottle: lovely, dark florals

wet: the individual florals separated somewhat, a sharpness beneath

dry: the rose is rather heavy, the resin still sharp.

later: I wish I got more peony and plum from this, it's a dusty rose with resiny undertones. I will try this again, under different hormonal circumstances, because I really, really want it to work!

So I took this out for a tiny test drive - a drop on the hand - tonight. I was really pleasantly surprised! A mellow honeyed rose that was really rich while being sweet. It was also very much a Rose, without ever getting soapy (a problem for me). It smelled very.... vital. Alive. Marvelous throw.

I'm looking forward to taking this one out at full slather.

N.

In the bottle and on my skin, this is all rose. There's a touch of the benzoin giving it a delicate resinous spiciness now that it's had two hours or so to dry. But that's really all I'm getting out of this blend.

In bottle: dusty rose

On skin: nice light rose, fresh and perky

Half-hour later: still lots of light rose with a mellow sweetness at the edges. The black plum and tonka are a great base for this

In conclusion: I'm a huge fan of the BPAL Roses, but this isn't the smack-about-the-head wallop of Rose Red (which I love, don't get me wrong). This is a lighter rose nicely blended with the other florals, very sweet and girly, with a darker base that keeps the flowers from flitting away or giving me a headache. I'm really enjoying this one :P

This is a very flowery blend on me, with a tinge of vanilla and tonka and a breath of honeyed rose...but mostly I get peony and iris from this, which make for a lovely rich round floral scent, but not one I can wear well, unfortunately.

I had high hopes for Lady Luck - all the notes, with the exception of dreaded iris, are favorites - and she doesn't disappoint. This is a beautiful rose scent from beginning to end, with a faint breath of peony and the benzoin and tonka to add depth and contrast. Lady Luck is smiling on me as iris doesn't amp and give me a headache! If you're a fan of understated, wistful florals then you will adore this scent. Everyone who loves rose scents like Parlement of Foules, Rose Red, London, etc. should grab a bottle of it to add to their collection - it's a must-have!

Gorgeous. :P Thanks to Beth for this beautiful rose fragrance and the added boon of Lady Luck. I really lucked out on this update - three for three!

Very pretty. As others have said, mostly rose. A dusty, resiny, and creamy rose- not the lush fullness of Rose Red, but rose with lots of complexity underneath. The creaminess puts me in mind of Abhisarika, which I like a lot as well.

I like this one a lot. Not entirely what I expected, but a keeper nonetheless.

In the bottle, Lady Luck is very floral with a slightly sour note to it. Mostly floral, though.

On my skin, OMG gorgeous roses! At first, there's an almost tart edge to the rose, but then whatever is doing this settles down into a nice floral complement to the rose. I'm not really picking out any other distinct notes. Everything else blends together very well. It's very perfumey, but not in the cheap way. This is definitely the "wow, how much did you shell out for this?" kind of perfumey. Heady and what I like to call a "high floral." Classy and seductive.

As far as that dominant rose note goes, it's very similar to the rose in Wilhelmina Murray. It's kind of astringent, which I like.

Verdict: An amazing high floral. I love it! So glad I have a bottle.

This is pretty much just what I was hoping for, with one exception: it fades sooo quickly.

This is a sweet, pretty, and feminine floral blend. Wet, it smells like sweet roses against a light floral background. This is another where I can't pick out many notes. The most noticeable is rose, but it doesn't overwhelm the rest of the blend. It's sweet from the honey -- and I'm so happy the honey in this blend doesn't go all musty on me -- but I can also pick out the plum.

Unfortunately, it fades so fast on me. It doesn't go powdery, but it does become quite light and faintly sweet. That's a shame, because I do like it. If I'd only gotten an imp, I probably wouldn't spring for a bottle, for that reason. As it is, I guess the bottle will just gt used up faster. :P

This one reminds me of abhisarika, but without the cream note.

This starts as a sweet and pretty floral, with lots of iris, and a muted creamy quality. Something wistful in it, wet and in the drydown, muted and pretty, but nothing notable.

Then it starts amping up in much the same way Ostara does on me. This vicious rose suddenly jumps out and bitch-slaps you. But in a good way. :P And then the tart plum joins the party, and it's all tart fruit and roses, with just a hint of benzoin and tonka in the background to round it out a bit. The plum seems variable, fading in and out. Unfortunately, after about 3 hours, it goes slightly soapy on me. But when it's good, it's Very Good.

I like Lady Luck's later vicious streak much better than her playing nice and sedate. She goes sharp and obstreperous and dominating, but then abandons you after a while. Yep, she's a moody Lady, all right.

Lady Luck starts out a soft, slightly powdery rose that reminds me of The Peacock Queen. The honey comes in next, but its a very light note that adds just a touch of sweetness to the rose. Lady Luck Blues is a very slow morpher on me - the honeyed rose scents lasts for a while before I detect any other notes. And she's fickle as well, as sometimes the drydown is the other florals, another time just peony, and once I swore I could smell a little plum. Overall, the scent is pretty light and doesn't last more than a few hours on my skin. But its a very lovely scent and I'm happy I snagged a bottle. :P

Soft, pretty rose. Oddly reminiscent of my much-loved Barbie Perfume maker, but more sophisticated and definitely prettier. There's a depth and a variance of color to this one that must be the other flowers. The more I sniff this, the more interesting and complex it is, but it's still primarily pretty, pretty rose.

Lady Luck Blues:

I have to admit, I was on the fence about this one.

While I have had excellent luck with BPAL's plum scents, I had my doubts about the honeyed bit of the rose.

In the Bottle:

Strong rose. Very pretty and feminine. Definitely not the same type of rose as Rose Red 2005.

This is a much sweeter rose than Rose Red 2005, but it's not the sugared rose from Hope & Faith either. Very Promising! :P

On my Skin, Wet:

Honeyed rose indeed!

This is just gorgeous - if somehow not quite what I was expecting.

I definitely was hoping for some of the plum to shine through, but it hasn't made an appearance yet. :D

I can vaguely pick out the iris note - but it's extraordinarily subtle.

The fact that the note is so subtle just re-affirms my belief that the Labbies are absolutely amazing and REALLY know and love what they do!

On my Skin, Dry:

Oh, no! the honey note has done it again!

BPAL's honey note tends to swallow up all other notes and just vanish from my skin!

Oh, wait - I spoke too soon.

I get a very tiny bit of honeyed rose wafting around whenever I move my hands.

So all is not lost!

Hooray!!

::dances::

Verdict:

Well, I am disappointed that the plum never made an appearance, but this is an otherwise very lovely floral blend.

I'm not sure that it's one that I will wear all that often, but it's distinctive enough that I'm definitely keeping it around for special occassions.

Lady Luck Blues is indeed very much a lady.

Thanks BPAL!

In the bottle Lady Luck Blues is very beautiful-it smells like a garden of honeyed flowers and spicy fruit trees . Rose is there but in is subtle in the bottle, it doesn't jump out at me. But after applying it to my skin, that is exactly what happens-Hello Grandma! Wow, that's strong! Not in a bad way but in a sophisticated grande dame way. That's how my grandma was. Whenever she left the house she was dressed up, right up until the time she passed away at 92. Her nails and toes were always polished, her hair done, her hat,shoes and purse always matched, her dress was perfect for every occasion. That is what Lady Luck Blues reminds me of-My Grandmother! She alway used to tell me,"you are not born with luck, you make your own"!. Thanks Beth for giving me something back of my Grandmother. :P

This is lovely, light, feminine, Springy, and floral. What a pretty floral blend!!

Mainly rose and tonka on me, which is such an utterly beautiful combination. The top notes remind me a bit of Mata Hari, one of my all time favorites. This is much, much lighter though, and the more delicate florals form a very perfumey base.

The peony begins to show itself a bit more as this dries down. There is almost a slight, green herbally undertone of "Springiness"

This is very beautiful, and I do love rose blends. My only complaint is that this doesn't last long on me at all, and is gone in an hour or two. I think fans of Marie and Two, Five and Seven will dig this!