Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Huckleberry and red currant with the incisive bite of neroli.

I put Jester on without remembering what the notes were. In the imp and wet on my skin, I got fruit salad. I'm not familiar at all with huckleberry and only a little familiar with red currant. What I think I'm smelling is neroli and huckleberry together with a red currant base. All I know is that it's good, strong, and a bright and happy scent. This jester is all smiles.

Edited by whiterosepetals

Mmmm! This one is fruity! A little bit of citrus but more as an undertone. Unfortunately the smell didn't stay on very long. I wonder if the smell that I like in it is the huckleberry?...I can't see anyone not liking the smell but I can see how some people wouldn't be able to wear it. Still deciding if I should buy a bottle...does it work with my chemestry.

As for now...I am happy smelling my imp!

In the bottle: Very sweet berries, almost cloying.

Wet: Rich red berries, still very sweet. Long throw, but a bit more like a bath product than a perfume at the moment.

Later: The sweetness has faded away, leaving a lovely fruit, almost crisp. 7/10; I'll keep the imp, but I don't think I'll buy a bottle.

Lots of berries. Tons. It's light and sweet and cute.

It's so sweet and strong on berries that it reminds me a lot of Midwinter's Eve. Especially from a distance. Close up, Jester has a very slight chalkiness (I sometimes get that with particular berry notes), and MWE doesn't have that chalkiness. So I'm sticking with MWE for this type of scent. However, when I run out of that one, I'll be looking to Jester to supply my sweet berry fix.

Jester smells distinctly like bananas in the vial, despite not having bananas in the description. It smells like bananas on my skin, too. Really, that's the only note I can perceive. Bananas. Strange how these things work, ne? I mean, not that I mind bananas, but you can get banana scent anywhere.

in the bottle the daughters and i all agreed on this one: STRAWBERRY! it's a very pleasant strawberry, though, subdued and almost sinuous. very enjoyable.

wet on skin bright, juicy strawberry, a bit overripe and heavy with juice

dry on skin the brightness is fading (i think that's the neroli) and it's a sweet, fruity, not-so-strawberry smelling scent

two hours later quite sweet and subdued, not powdery or plasticky at all. i might like to layer another oil over this, maybe something with a tart bite like a single note lemon.

Edited by Shollin

Jester (pale yellow oil)

Imp: fruit candy with a twist.

Skin: Fresh berries, with an aftertaste of neroli. This is such a bright and playful scent - this isn't one of those scheming, eerie jesters we get in horror shows. Its one of those good-natured jesters that simply like to see people laugh. I smiled when I took the initial sniff.

In the beginning the berries are stronger, but as it dries it balances out with the neroli.

This is such a happy and bouncey scent, its perfect for little girls. Not something I would wear myself, but I would think of giving it as a gift to my little nieces.

Middle to light weight, sunnyday, Summer scent.

bottle: all i can smell is the uber-fruity huckleberry and currant. almost painfully sweet.

wet: it'a almost jarring when i sniff this scent wet. the huckleberry and currant are so sweet and the neroli is so sharp.

dry: the neroil fades away quickly and the fruits mellow out to something more soft and relaxed.

This instantly reminded both me and the bf of strawberry banana kool-aid. It's really sweet, but I like it...and so does he!

Jester

Initially deliciously fruity, then it becomes something else - I think that's the neroli that's making it morph. Now it's a waxy artificial fruit candy. Or a weirdly flavored children's medicine. Something in this is making this smell simply strange to me, which is a pity, the first whiff was fantastic.

[ 2 - Dislike ]

Kinda...weird. Tart berries with an undercurrent of sharpness. That goes away after a while, and you're left with a berry smell. Wild berries, kind of sour. Not really a wearable scent imo.

Edited by AmandaKay

This was my first BPAL scent experience.

In the bottle, it smelt...almost cherry-ish. That alone made me weary of it, seeing as i don't have very good experience with cherries. On my wrist however, the overpowering cherry smell became currant. I definitely got a bite of Neroli though. Still a little headache inducing, however. An hour later, the scent has died down, leaving me a berry smell. Good for summer days!

Definitely playful and flirty.

The strange thing is..is though is headache-y, i'm still sniffing my wrist.

Edited by Millay

Curses! I loooooove red currant and while Jester smells AMAZING in the imp something, maybe the neroli?, turns it into straight up plastic. I've never understand what people meant when they describe plastic mutations but eek. Now I do.

Fruity scents I want to love you all, why won't you love me back?!

This is fun, just like a jester. And it makes me feel happy when I wear it.

The scent of Jester should definately be a bright bouncy berrylike smell and I think this is perfect.

It reminds me medicine, and I dont mean because it smells medicinal in any way. I mean it reminds me of a childs medicine. One I used to take when I was little. It smells the same in the bottle as it does on my skin and doesn't morph during drydown.

It's very berrylike, but not sweet berries, there's something that makes it smell like it would be a sour berry if you ate it. I ADORE neroli but I can't smell it in here at all...which is a shame. it's one of my favourite notes.

It would be lovely for a child to wear, Or me...if I'm feeling blue!

Sniffin' the imp: whoah mama, that's pink. My first reaction was to put it far, far away as it felt like I was trapped in a room crammed to the ceiling with pink pick 'n' mix and the walls were closing in...

Wet: And then, a week later, I gave my first set of imps a re-sniff and this one waved hello, jangling his bells as he did so. I slipped him on my wrists and suddenly felt very happy. It's a deeper version of Lush's Candy Fluff/Snow Fairy on me - sweet-shop sweet with a touch of musk.

An hour later: Sweet happiness. It made me feel quite calm but jolly and I got on with some writing without any qualms or dashing to see if anything was going on in the various fora I frequent :P. When I woke my husband up after his well-deserved lie-in, his first words were - 'mmm, you smell nice. You smell like Snow Fairy.' Despite this being a pink showergel, my DH loves it and now loves Jester. He's been sniffing me all day.

Three hours later: it has dies down to a sweet yet contemplative musk - very appropriate for the sad clown of the court. I reapplied on one wrist to get the bouncing version back but kept the right wrist pensive.

And...?: I like. And my husband likes. And there I was thinking I was such a dark creature.

The red currant note in this is very similar to Cheshire cat. I do prefer this to the cat though as it isn't quite as strong and cloying. It's so fruity and thick that it almost smells syrupy. It reminds me a little of Lush's snow fairy but stronger and not quite as sweet because of the tartness to this scent. Its actually a very nice scent i just think it would be nicer toned down with maybe a vanilla note as well.

I received this in an imp pack I bought in the forums.

Not being a fruity scent kind of gal, I was rightly not optimistic that this would work for me.

I gave my imp to a friend who really enjoys fruitier scents, and she said that it is her favorite of the ones I've given her.

I get a strong, strawberry bubblacious scent from this as well. It smelled like strawberry gum on me and on her, the only difference being that she likes smelling like strawberry gum.

I agree with the previous posters that this would be a great scent for a young girl, the bubblegum scent here is much more innocent than Jailbait, IMO.

Edited by MissTaken

What a weirdo scent this is. At first it was fruity, bubbly, grapey and slightly winey, then it developed a strange, metallic core that was quite offputting, like pennies soaked in wine. That has calmed down and turned mostly into slightly sour fruit. If I'm after any kind of wine impression, I can do much better than this. That middle is just too much to take.

this comes off on me as a sweet strawberry--not fakey bubblegum strawberry, but not exactly real strawberry, either....it's nice and reminds me of an oil I used to wear as a teenager.

It does not get that weird candle smell i tend to get from fruity stuff lately :P ...I wish I smelled more of the neroli but this is quite pleasant.

in bottle: ZOMG FRUIT! I smell nothing else.

Wet: very huckleberry. I mean VERY very berry. I like it!

dry: HEY! There's something else in here! not sure if it's the neroli or the red currant, but all the sudden this went from OMG FRUITY to hmm...fruit and..something velvety. Still very fruity, but not as overpowering.

9 out of 10

I got Jester as a frimp in one of my orders (and I just can't get over how awesome that whole frimping thing is :P )

In the vial, and on me, and even hours later, this smells like lollipops on me. Red, very sweet lollipops, like the flat round kind you can get for free at the bank if you're a kid (and can still get if your bank is awesome). I'm never sure if they're cherry, or strawberry (or even, apparently, red currant), but they sure are RED. And that's how this scent is on me.

Not entirely feeling the love, I've tried to pass it along, and three separate people I've tried to palm it off on--I mean, enable, shrink away from the vial going "it smells like Robitussin!" Which isn't what I got from it at all. Ah well.

On my wrist: Like a fruit punch with something spikey in there (probably the neroli).

In my scent locket: Bananas in a berry sauce. Somebody else mentioned bananas and I get them too but not on my skin, only in the locket.

Overall: Very nice berryish deep red scent but not quite me.

It's a bit feminine but I think I'm after something girlier.

3.5/5

I'll definitely keep the imp but not quite bottle-worthy.

Uh-oh, this one's definitely not made of win for me!

In the imp there's a great fruit jam scent, strong, pure, and sweet, but along with it is a cloyingly sweet solvent-like smell that I got from Panacea: Seduction as well. Reminds me of sweet pea or ylang-ylang at its worst. That fades in the drydown, but sadly at that point the berry jam scent fades too and I just get a little bit of berry-flavoured perfume.

Imp: I was generously frimped this in an ebay order (which also came with a frimp of Vampire Tears. The universe wants me to have Vampire tears because I have now been frimped more than the content of a bottle of Vampire Tears. Weird how that works out). I had to look up the notes when I sniffed it because it smelled like the top note in Eat Me. My nose is getting better at this! Definitely currant in the vial. Also a bit of the sharp tanginess of huckleberries. Very nice.

Wet: Eat Me on a diet. Pure, bright currant on me.

Dry: In the initial drydown I get a weird plastic smell--like the inside of a thermos that has been filled with milk. That thankfully goes away the longer I wear it and I wind up with a scent true to the imp.

Throw: Good. I can smell it on me for awhile after application and then you can smell it if you're close-ish to me.

Overall: What a lovely summer scent. Also, I can use it to cut the heaviness of Cockaigne. This may become a 5 ml.

Edited by paperrose