Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Huckleberry and red currant with the incisive bite of neroli.

Very Berry, and very hit-you-over-the-head sweet. Like this makes Sugar Skull smell bitter it's so sweet. It made my teeth hurt.

At least part of it is the Neroli, it doesn't like my skin. Basically, if your chemistry does funny things to Neroli, I don't think this will be the one blend that's the exception.

Jester

This is strawberry bubbalicious all the way. I know for a fact my little sister would love this. She collects all that is strawberry. I am also reminded of a certain childrens shampoo that I bought once.

Way too fruity for me, but charming just the same!

I got two imps of this as freebies in the orders I received today, and all I have to say is that Beth is an absolute goddess for sending me this and Whitechapel. Even if everything else I had ordered turned to absolute crap on me, these two would've been worth it! I haven't had a chance to wear this for a long period of time yet, but I definitely will tomorrow!

I couldn't put my finger on what it reminded me of until just now when reading other posts in this thread.. It's definitely got a strawberry bubbalicious vibe in the imp!

Just after putting it on, It deepens into more of what I was hoping some of the wine (or wine and fruit) scents would do for me.

Je l'aime beaucoup!

ETA: oh yeah.. this one wasn't even on my wishlist. somehow I completely missed it when reading through the scents (paying attention for fruity scents, too!) , so I'm triply glad Beth sent it to me.

Edited by harlequin

very redcurrant. i used to have a lip balm from bath and bodyworks that smells almost exactly the same. smells kinda fruit punchy & very similar to aunt caroline's joy mojo. i prefer jester to aunt caroline's. it's a very up playful happy scent. and therefore quite well suited to its name. i am not usually able to tolerate sweet scents, but i do enjoy this one. :P ........and now i am craving juicy fruit gum..!

Whoa, people aren't kidding when they say this is bubblegum. I don't mind the sweetness as much as the way it smells plasticky and synthetic. Every now and then something deeper and more genuine pokes through - the red currant? - and then I see how nice this could be, but unfortunately it just doesn't work with my chemistry.

When I first cracked the imp open, I really liked it.

When I first put the oil on my skin, I really liked it.

Then... it started to smell like Chapstick.

Someone mentioned the "synthetic" smell, which I would like to blame on the neroli, but I'm not quite certain. In any case, it smells good wet, but during the time the scent lasted, I could still smell the underlying "Chapstick" smell. That's what killed the joy for me.

Aside from that, Jester would be a wonderful, fruity, juicy scent. I am lucky to console myself with other beautiful berry scents from the Lab (like Queen of Spades and Lampades).

-doreen

I haven't decided about Jester, but I don't think I'm a big fan. It's very sweet and very loud, but it does have that hint of tartness that I love about so many of Beth's fruity oils. It does, however, ultimately make me think of a candle, in a sort of generic berry way, on my skin. I think it's probably because my skin has a tendency to take one or two notes and run with them, and all I'm getting from it is BERRY WHOA. I'll try it again though, just in case it comes out differently. It's a very happy, bright purple scent, and I wish it worked better for me.

I really liked this one. At first, it was very sweet, with the currant/neroli adding some tartness, sourness, I'm not really sure what word I'm looking for, but it wasn't much.

As time went on, I could smell the currant more, the sweetness wore off quite a bit.

And as it was finishing, several hours later, I just got a sweet smell like a powdered sugar covered doughnut.

I really like this one. Very pleasant sweetness.

It has a very berry scent, like Midwinter's Eve without the breeze. Goes a bit plum on me. Smells great, but something I would wear only once in a Blue Moon. It seems anything with a fruit base like this soaks into my skin and smells like grape soda. Not really what I am looking for. It does seem to change either or develop other notes than the grape/plum one.

In the bottle and wet on skin- Whoa! Bright and fruity! Strawberries, red currants, you name it, all with a sweet bit of orange. And like others, I'm getting a definite bubblegum vibe.

As I'm wearing the overwhelmingly sweet bubbleum element dies down, leaving a more rounded and exquisitely-blended fruit scent. The only fruit that I can really pick out of the blend is plum, but it's a lovely mix of reddish-purplish fruits. Yum. I really like this- I like happy scents and I like fruity scents, so this is perfect. It's got a similar plum-fruitiness to my beloved Megaera.

This is a definite winner. I will be ordering a big bottle for sure.

Oof. In the bottle, this blend is darkly sweet. The image that comes to mind is that of a pinched face, distorted in a wicked grin that's been stained with sugary red wine.

I was so overwhelmed by the heavy sweetness in this blend that I didn't plan on wearing any, but because this was a gimp and I still suck when it comes to opening those things gracefully, my hands are splattered with the stuff. It's sickly sweet. It's not so strong and unpleasant that I want to wash it off; rather, I'm curious to see how it will dry and morph with my own chemistry.

Drydown: All right, I can't figure out what it is I'm smelling. I admit I don't know what the individual ingredients smell like. But an image comes to mind. I keep thinking of that scene from Anne of Green Gables where Diane drinks all of Marilla's homemade currant wine (or was it brandy?). I'm picturing Diane slumped over in the corner, that dopey, drunken, giggling grin on her face, dribbling the sweet liquor onto her blouse. I've gotta say, it suits the nomenclature of this particular blend.

While it's not a particularly unpleasant scent, it's a little too much for me. At least I'm not smelling the aftermath of Diane's little foray into debauchery. :P

I really want to like Jester. I love the name, the concept, the description.

Wet: strawberry lip gloss! really, really strawberry candy.

Dry: very sweet, strawberry/cherry candy-with an artificial tang.

Hours later: cherry candy.

hmmm...

Jester is such a playful scent. It reminds me of my old Strawberry Shortcake doll that blew "fruity breath" when you squeezed her.

I actually really enjoy this scent. I'm not in love, but it's definitely fun. Kind of like Fabio. :P

In the vial: Mmmmmm.... very sweet. It reminds me of those hard candies that have the sweet fruit-flavored gel inside, particularly the raspberry candies. I'm not really sure about the neroli... it adds a touch of... dustiness? But in a way, it reminds me of shopping in my favorite Goth clothing store years ago... wandering among the incense.

Wet: My skin really amplifies the fruit, and the neroli is more hidden. I smell like I've been rolling naked in a patch of ripe huckleberries. :P

After 30 minutes: This is drying kind of soapy on me. A juicy, fruity soap, but soapy nonetheless.

teeheehee!!!

In the vial this smells just like hubba bubba chewing gum I used to buy for 9p when I was little.

On the skin it begins to mellow out a bit, which is disappointing, as I like smelling of cheap chewing gum!! Ill update as it dries.

Well for the minute it is managing to hold the bubblegum sort of scent, but it became slightly drier, the fruits came out a little more. It makes me think of a lush product, but for the life of me I can't think what. I love this, I'm going to try and obtain a bottle from somewhere, as I just cn't wait two months!! I want to be a hubba bubba girl!!!

I hope it doesnt dry to something rancid as Ive now SMOTHERED myself in it!!!

Edited by purely_cosmetic

Initial Sniff: FROOT!!! I say, FROOT!

Wearing: Roughly an hour after application, I picked up my fiance from work. When he got in the car, he said "woah, you got the car cleaned!" He then looked around at my dusty car in confusion, looked at me and asked "oh my - is that you?" This is all artificial fruit on me. Think a cardboard strawberry on a elasticized string.

Final Impressions: um...nope. Not for me!

Jester comes across as sweet and candylike, with no notes coming to the foreground. It's a nice sweet scent, not cloying, but not my cup of tea either. It reminds me a bit of bordello, perhaps it is the currant.

Fruity fruity goodness!

Wet, Jester reminds me of a mix between Midwinter's Eve and Bon Vivant.

This is a very fun, youthful scent. Very very strong too. I only needed a small dab and I have a feeling it will last a looong time.

I love this one :P

*Jester – very berry scented. Very sweet. And this has the best staying power of any of the other oils Ive tried so far. Not sure if I will do a big bottle of it or not…but I do like it.

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab. :P

Preconceived notions:

I'm quickly learning that neroli isn't my friend and I'm not a big berry fan (although I do really like the smell of huckleberries because they're so tart) so I don't expect Jester to work for me, but I'll give it a shot.

First sniff:

Berries. Lots and lots of sweet berries (this must be the red currant because it's not huckleberries I'm smelling). It somehow reminds me of gummy bears, too, which is just something that happens with me and certain fruit (and specifically berry) scents. I don't smell the neroli yet, but I do smell a whole lot of currants, which, unfortunately, really isn't my thing. :D

Wet on skin:

Whoa, there's the neroli. I knew it would crop up sooner or later. It always does and, as always, it's making me a little sick to my stomach. The berries are still there, too, with the huckleberry portion making a valiant effort at coming through, but the neroli is overpowering it which is a pretty big letdown since I actually love huckleberies.

Dry down:

All I'm getting is neroli and a faint hint of huckleberry now. If I didn't despise neroli and could get past the intense red currant initial stage, I'm sure this would be a fun scent, but, as it stands, this one's a no-go for me.

The bottom line:

I know my tastes and aversions well enough to have known from the start that this wouldn't work for me, but it's still a bit of a let down to know that I was right. :D

Vial: Berry candy.

Wet: Reminds me of this strawberry candy I used to like.

Dry: Now the neroil kicks in. The berries lose their candy scent, & start to smell like real berries & currants.

Jester smells exactly like Akuma, up until the dry-down. I didn't like Akuma because it was much too sweet. Due to the neroli, Jester smells better. I'll keep the imp, but it's not worth getting a bottle.

Very, very fruity.

This is the first blend my hubby has wrinkled his nose at*. He thought it smelled too "teenage mall shopper". On me, it went very sweet, fruity and sugary. Almost spoiled fruit. Off to the swaps it went.

*He has since wrinkled his nose at only one other oil, Hellfire, which sadly for him, is just too damn bad! :P I love that one!

very sweet. it smelled like strawberries wet. i loved it at first but when it dried it began to smell exactly like a cheap black cherry candle...much too waxy. i love candles, but i don't want to smell like candles. i know people have suggested using it as a linen or home fragrance. i'll keep the imp and use it for that instead.