Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sarri

Shakespearian enabling

Hello

I want to make up an imp pack for a mate of mine as a birthday present. She'd be all agog at the prospect of the Illyria series but since I've yet to try any of them I would love to know your favourites. I'm not sure what kind of scents she's into so I plan to get her a variety of different things to try to cover the spectrum.. any suggestions would be most appreciated :P

Thanks,

Sarri

Definitely get Tamora :P. It's one of the most beautiful BPAL scents I've ever tried... warm and sparkling. Very pretty. I also love Caliban (exotic rainforest scent) and Jester from the Illyria series. It'd probably be a good idea to read over reviews, see if your friend likes florals, and pick out a varied imp pack. But definitely get Tamora :D

If she likes light, fruity scents I definitely recommend Katharina; it's a lovely, sweet, effervescent fruity scent. Titania, too--an enchanting, cool, ethereal fruity-floral. If she likes herbals, The Apothecary is great. I also second Tamora and Jester. (Actually, all the Illyrias I've tried have been lovely and very evocative of their characters. You probably can't go wrong with any of 'em. :P)

I'll add another Tamora recommendation. It's a wonderful scent - perfect for spring and summer. I also recommend, Desdemona: Sweet pea, carnation, and waterlily. It's a nice simple floral (not too cloying or powdery) that just gets better with age.

Edited by Archaic Smile

Getting in on this:

I'm wanting to make up a basket for a guy for whom Shakespeare is love. He smells like Marlboros most of the time so I figure this will be an improvement. Because BPAL is not quite love but a great enjoyment for me, I'm wanting to include something from Illyria. What in there is pretty popular with men and not, like, sexy?

Hmm.. well, the question of her preferences is a problem as I don't get to see her much these days - I'm in Manchester and she lives just down the road from the Lab in Santa Monica! So I am thinking I'll get a good variety of different sorts of smells.

Tamora sounds lovely.. as does Titania but possibly quite similar so I'll go with just one of them. Caliban is an option for variety - sounds nothing like the kind of thing I would go for, so I can't really even imagine it , but I guess what I like is not the point is it!!

I also like the sound of Lear and Titus Andronicus.. argh too much choice.. Is there an emoticon for people overwhelmed at too many bpal options??!

For both of you seeking something, Othello is a wonderfully complicated fragrance that would probably work for both men and women (check out the reviews and see if it would be possible; I'm not sure the Malboro dude would go for the rose in Othello...but it is wonderful, and not too femme, if you know what I mean)

For both of you seeking something, Othello is a wonderfully complicated fragrance that would probably work for both men and women (check out the reviews and see if it would be possible; I'm not sure the Malboro dude would go for the rose in Othello...but it is wonderful, and not too femme, if you know what I mean)

My instinct is actually pointing towards Lear. He's scarily hypermasculine (not at all compensating for being 5'7, oh no...), so anything even remotely girlie would be :P. No one else bother responding to my post, pls.

i'm fond of cordelia -- it's a gorgeous, natural scent, very 'real' but still so pretty -- cedar and lilacs with just a touch of sweet tea. ophelia is beautiful, too, if a bit ... distant? sad? i have the habit of attaching personalities to scents, but it's lotus and rose water, delicate and soft.

The only two oils I've tried from Illyria are Desdemona and Rosalind, and I love them both. Desdemona is very sweet and simple and lovely and very, very pink. Rosalind is a sweet, berry floral with a hint of grass. They're both really lovely.

:P Goneril.

I'd still give your friend Othello and not mention the rose - I don't get much from it at all and it's dark and strong like whoah. I like Titus on my hub, so that's a good choice too, I think. Listen - he knows the male chars, give him an imp of each of them and see what he does with them. His own associations with the literature may take him places the reviews don't lead you, you know?

My instinct is actually pointing towards Lear. He's scarily hypermasculine (not at all compensating for being 5'7, oh no...), so anything even remotely girlie would be :D. No one else bother responding to my post, pls.

I'm a girl who likes masculine scents, but when I tried Lear I had a woah :D too masculine moment, so you're instincts might be right about that one.

For the original poster, i just put on some Titania :P it's a lovely complicated pear scent.

My personal favorite is Juliet. It's such a beautiful, sweet, girlish scent! I don't hear her mentioned much on here, but she's one of my very favorites. :P Titania is a close second for me.

Also, it's not technically in the Illyria collection, but I wanted to throw out Queen Mab--a sweet, dusky, almost fruity floral, it's a beautifully blended and complex scent, and one of my personal top 10. And any Mercutio fan will associate her with Shakespeare. :P

Edited by citharadraconis

Ok.. thanks for all the great suggestions.. i think this is my plan:

Rosalind

Titania

Goneril

Othello

Caliban

Lady MacBeth

Hopefully a good mix of different scents there and an interesting set of characters. A couple of them I've really no idea if she'd like, but I'm trying not to be swayed too much by my own preferences, Caliban and Lady MacBeth in particular because of the wine, which isn't a note I'm familiar with (well, not in perfume anyway :D )

Also, it's not technically in the Illyria collection, but I wanted to throw out Queen Mab--a sweet, dusky, almost fruity floral, it's a beautifully blended and complex scent, and one of my personal top 10. And any Mercutio fan will associate her with Shakespeare. :D

Oh just spotted this.. Queen Mab.. I love that speech.. but if I'm having Titania I don't know if I should have Mab as well.. :P

From Illyria, I like Tamora, Goneril and Juliet.

Which reminds me.... I should get another Goneril imp soon...

We just had our first cool autumn-is-coming! day here in the South... so I am in the process of swapping out some of my lighter summery scents for some good transitional ones (I keep the bottles in frequent rotation in a box on my dresser, others in a drawer).

Hermia is going to be fantastic for fall. It's got awesome spice and resins going on and just in the couple months since my bottle arrived, it's really developed nicely in the bottle. Kind of like a friend you didn't see over the summer, then when you showed up for school in the fall she was 6 inches taller and had boobs and all the guys are like :P

That sounds like a perfect imp pack.

For women, my favorite Illyria scents are Titania (fresh, cold fruit and rainy aquatics) and Rosalind (soft aquatics, green herbs, and spicy berries).

For the guys, I have to go with The Apothecary. It's very herbal and astringent, but I always found it sexy.

I'd like to resurect this thread...

I'm planing on ordering some imps later, in september... something to go through the winter...

And I would like to order some Illyria, too...

I've tryed Titania so far, and it was too sweet for my tastes - very peachy.

Right now, I'm thinking about these - Jester (hoping for a tart juicy blend), Lady McBeth (also hoping for something tart, since I hate sweet fruity blends), Robin Goodfellow (because if it's as green as it sounds, it will be good for the winter), Rosalind (cause I love fresh scents, and hopefully it will be what Glasgow wasn't) and Yorick (cause it sounds nice too).

So any help to choose from that?

So far, my favourites from what I've ordered had been Cathedral, Sudha Segara, Dragon Claw, The Temptation, Prunella, Belladona, June Gloom 09, Ouija and Old Scratch...

Jupita,

I strongly recommend Rosalind and Lady McBeth (which is particularly gorgeous - mostly wine on me). If you like The Temptation, you might also enjoy Katharina (apricot and citrus). One of my favorite Illyria is Lysander, which is a rich unisex scent, and very lovely in the autumn/winter.