Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
paperdoll

Shattered

A scent as sharp as glass shards, and as brittle as a broken heart. The formula came to me - quite literally - in a dream, and is named after, and created in memory of, the last poem that I ever wrote… almost ten years ago to the day. A blend of white champagne notes, grapefruit, lotus, slivered mint and crystalline aquatic blooms.

Imp: Grapefruit and mint.

Wet: Yet more grapefruit and mint. Also: It stings. Not the expected stinging you get from mint where it can be very refreshing and cool. Rather, it stings like it is burning my skin. Not horribly enough to wash it off but definitely puzzling.

Dry: Almost nonexistant but kind of pleasant and grapefruity. A bit ozone or aquatic. Sweet and fresh. Very, very clean. Definitely an office sort of scent.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: Not digging it. It burns.

It's summer in Riverside, which means it's entirely too hot to really be legal. I was considering my pile of untested imps, and this one stood out as being a colder sort of scent, which is exactly what I was hoping for a day like this.

In the imp: A clear and chilly aquatic with a splash of grapefruit.

Wet on skin: The aquatic notes are dominant, and they are still very clear, smooth, and cold. There's a little bit of sweetness, but it's indistinct as to whether it comes from fruit or flowers.

Drydown: Freshly dry, this is still mainly an extremely smooth and chilly aquatic. I think I'm getting a touch of the champagne now, though it's light and not screamingly boozy. Any hint of grapefruit is gone. At one hour in, not much has changed. The crystal-clear aquatic notes are still dominant, and there's still an indistinct sweetness. I think it might be floral at this point, rather than champagne, but it's certainly not overtly screamingly floral.

Five hours later: Faint, glassy-smooth, and chilly. Not even particularly aquatic anymore, though if I had to classify this somewhere, I guess it would still fall in that category.

End of the day: Gone.

Overall: This definitely was the kind of chilly I was hoping for! It's cold without being frozen, and watery without also being salty. The little bit of sweetness makes it livelier, but it doesn't come close to verging into sticky. Definitely a good blazing hot weather kind of scent.

Shattered is one of those scents, on me, that stays incredibly true the entire time. From the imp until it disappears, it smells the same.

On the surface, it smells like aquatic flowers floating in sweet champagne. There's a touch of grapefruit to it, but it's not obvious - I certainly wouldn't know which citrus it was without the note listing. The only way (besides the note listing) that I know the mint is there is that (like some other reviewers have mentioned) this actually feels cool when you apply it.

For me, this is the perfect aquatic - unique, doesn't smell like a beach, and wearable year-round. I absolutely love it.

It had average throw and lasts more than 4 hours on my skin.

In the vial: A lot of grapefruit and champagne. A sharp, citrusy smell with a lingering sweetness. Not as cold a scent as I expected from the description

Wet: This is absolutely as cold as shards of glass! Very refreshing! The mint is cooling on the skin and makes it's way to the front. However, it does not overpower the grapefruit and sweetness of the champagne. I detect some florals slightly coming through now.

Dry:More aquatic floral. A tinge of mint and still with the sweetness. Nice

An hour later: :cry2: The mint is all gone! The coldness I was loving has disappeared. The scent has ultimately turned into a sweet floral smell, but a deep, sad kind of floral. It's still very pleasant despite the loss of the mint.

I like Shattered but maybe not enough to get a 5mL. Yeah but who knows? It still has a bit of potential to grow on me.

Edited by MellowCello

The imp smells like bubbly. Not the cheap kind, the good kind.

As it dried the grapefruit note came out, while still keeping some of the sparkle from the champagne. Reminds me of the note in Baobhan sith, but a little sweeter.

In the IMP ~ Sweet and sharp with lots of citrus

On me ~ The floral sweetnes comes through a bit more as does the grape fruit. No mint, just cirtus fruity floral goodness.

I smell like a freshly sqeezed orange!!

Edited by Lilly

This is lovely.

Its strange that many of the scents I'm liking now are ones that I've tried in the past and swapped away. My tastes must have changed because this is georgeous.

Wet: This is the most beautiful phase when the mint is still detectable. Its a cold, sweet scent with shards of citrus ice. I think I can also smell the bubbly champaigne.

Drying: The mint is gone, of course, but then I've never tried a mint that stays on for more than twenty minutes even though its my favorite note. The grapefruit livens up and takes over.

Dry: On me a type of skin musk appears and mixes with the grapefruit and oh @$&% I'm beginning to smell soap.

Sigh. I'll have to try it in a locket because this stuff is too perfect not to use.

Bright, bright yellow with jagged purply bits!

Astringent...

Pineapple, Pepperminty and Floral O_o

Intimidating.

Laughing at the ways of spoons.

Smitten with pins.

Reverence for hospitals...

This is one of those "does what it says on the tin" situations ;) I knew there would be the champagne but then it wound up too boozy for me. I love all the other notes, but I should've kept in mind I don't much like champagne. Very sharp, very glassy, very clean. Not for me, but a very beautiful smell.

In the imp, I'm definitely getting the mint aspect of this, and whoo boy, is it strong. Light application, I think. On my skin, the mint's definitely there, and there's stuff underneath it, I just can't get to it. Ends up fading quickly, not for me.

Edited by Venneh

Frimp in one of my orders.

I had a feeling this would work when I saw the notes. Citrus? I like citrus! Champagne? Yep! Aquatic blooms? Well, look at that -- one of the few florals that like my skin chemistry! Lotus? . . . Er, not sure, but it sounds pretty!

In the imp, I smell champagne and grapefruit. It's so fresh and bubbly! Wet, I get champagne, grapefruit, and something floral. This might be the lotus, as it does not have an aquatic feeling. During the drydown, it's the same, but now those crystalline aquatic blooms emerge. Dry, this is a light citrus floral with an aquatic background.

This is so pretty! It's fresh, clean, and lovely. It definitely conjures up images of crystals, clear water, beautiful glass, and dew drops. It does have a bit of a perfumey element to it, but it isn't strong enough to deter my liking this scent. I'm putting this on the possible bottle list. I have lots of citrus perfumes, but nothing quite like this and it seems like it would be very refreshing on hot summer days.

I got this as a frimp in a recent order from the lab!

In the imp: Citrus. Grapefruit. But a soft grapefruit. Tempered by the aquatics blooms.

On the skin: EXTREMELY light throw. Very pretty though. I don't get any mint. And the champagne is just bringing the scents together. It's not really a front runner, which is good. If it's there, it just grounds the citrus.

After an hour. Very close to the skin. Mellow and pretty. On my skin it's warm, not really a cold scent. I really like it. It's almost perfumey. I just wish it was a bit stronger.

OKAY. I tried it again after I had the imp in my pocket so it was nice and warm. I slathered some on and I could smell something minty. And it's NICE! YEAH!!!!

Edited by PuppetMistress

Minty citrus with ozone, and white florals. Its sweet and tart and very mint, however there is something that just doesn't work with my skin chemistry. I think it could be the lotus. It just doesn't blend right with mint and grapefruit.

Too bad this could have been a great summer blend.

Exactly as described. There was a pouf of grapefruit and lotus at first but after it settled, all notes are in order and rounded out. Sharp sweet fresh citrus, like I just busted open a sweet grapefruit and poured champagne into it. Mmmm

Citrus scents are about my favorite thing ever, so I came into this one really hoping for some grapefruit. In the imp, it was minty sweet - all mint & champagne. On my skin, the mint is dominant, with the slightest hint of grapefruit and champagne. When it dries, it's very light, very traditional, very subtle - but all florals. No grapefruit for me. :-(

This was a frimp, and I'm really glad, because having read the notes, I don't think I ever would've tried it. Typically, I hate grapefruit, but this blend is surprising.

In the imp I got a strong blast of mint, more like peppermint than spearmint to me, that really cold, cold mint that opens the sinuses. I needed that, too, with this head cold from hell. There was something slightly sweet and sparkly underneath the mint, perhaps champagne, although it didn't really make me think of the drink as much as some champagne candies I had once. I couldn't smell the citrus yet.

Wet on it actually made my skin burn a little. That went away pretty quickly, and there wasn't any contact dermatitis, so I left it on. The mint amped really strongly, and again I had the scent association with those champagne candies. Bizarre, because it was even like a tiny bit of milk chocolate, almost like those Andean mints. The aquatic florals popped out, and all of this was very refeshing and cool.

On the dry down, the mint calmed down a lot. I could barely smell it at all after about 30 minutes. The florals stayed watery and clean, and finally I could smell the grapefruit. However, it wasn't the note I usually hate with a passion. It smells positively lovely with the aquatics and champagne.

Low throw, decent lasting power. I can still smell it after four hours. Now it's a sweet, light, refreshing scent with no particular notes standing out from the rest. It's not me, per se, so I don't think I'd want a bottle, but I'll wear the heck out of the imp contents in hot weather.

ooh noo noo >_< i dont even wanna try it on my skin, sniffing from the imp was enough for me to deceide it's not for me because i can't stand aquatics :( just not for me

When I first apply it, all I can smell is strong mint and a hint of grapefruit. Once it dries down, those first two scents mellow out a bit and I can detect a light, sweet sort of smell underneath. I think I can smell the aquatic note, but it's very faint. It's not too bad at this stage - I really like the combination of the sweet smells and grapefruit smells, but I don't like having the mint in there. Off to the swaps with this one.

Imp: Minty cool

Wet: Citrusy, but can't tell it's grapefruit, and minty.

Dry: I can smell a white grape champagne, and the sweetness of lotus. The grapefruit is coming out now.

Mint gives it that "crystalline" feel but I think this would be pretty without it. I love the freshness of grapefruit with champagne and lotus.

In the imp: Wow, that's champagne! I LOVE champagne! Drinking it, smelling it, drinking some more of it... Oh, that's right, this is a perfume review. I'm amazed that perfume has captured the effervescent nature of champagne. Oh, and I also smell a touch of mint and grapefruit.

Wet on skin: I love this champagne! It's so wine-y and bubbly and... wait, is that a flower? It's not mint, and not grapefruit. Oh yes... hello, lotus.

Dry: I think the lotus went sour on my skin. There was certainly a bad reaction of some sort going on here. (And this might explain what Bastet was such a miserable failure for me.) I would adore this scent without the lotus, I suspect.

Overall: I'm SO interested in champagne scents after this! More bubbly! (Less lotus!) I'm very impressed with the realism of the champagne scent.

In the bottle: rich champagne, with lotus and grapefruit, some aquatic blooms. it's bright and sparkling, cheerful. the floral keeps it from being wholly citrus. it reminds me a bit of broken mirror shards, but not threatening or anything.

On my skin: I hated this the first several times I put it on my skin. this time, it's a little better. it's champagne and grapefruit, no more florals. it's still bright, though slightly less cheerful. it's more grapefruit peel than juice, so it's a little bitter. it's get a little more like a powdery citrus as it wears on. stays mostly grapefruit and champagne.

Last thoughts: smells AMAZING & versatile in the bottle, far less so on my skin. pity that, because I adore the combination of aquatic and citrus, with a bit of floral.

In the bottle: Cool mint

Wet: Cool mint

Dry: Softer, powdery mint

Hours later: Soft powdery mint with very low throw. I could see this being a nice scent for a day when it just isn't cool enough. It might be better slathered (I tend to use scents lightly).

In the bottle: Mint, grapefruit, champagne, a tiny bit of lotus. Actually, this is very minty.

Wet: Mint completely takes over at first, leaving me very concerned. For a few minutes I just smell like a peppermint stick. After a while, it fades, and the grapefruit comes out. It's a very clear, neutral scent- it's very much like glass. Then there's champagne and a little lotus, and I get a very classy impression from this. It's cool and a little sexy, but it's also decidedly distant and a little mysterious. It's very ice queen, but it's an intriguing ice queen.

Drydown: Mostly the same. The mint fades into the background and the champagne rounds out some, making a slightly softer scent, especially when I can smell the lotus more.

I liked it. This wouldn't be an everyday scent for me, but I can definitely picture myself wearing it in the right mood.