Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
paperdoll

Shattered

A scent as sharp as glass shards, and as brittle as a broken heart. The formula came to me - quite literally - in a dream, and is named after, and created in memory of, the last poem that I ever wrote… almost ten years ago to the day. A blend of white champagne notes, grapefruit, lotus, slivered mint and crystalline aquatic blooms.

i didnt find it that sharp at all
smells like a tart candy i have had before

i like it... it lasted at least a couple of hours
i was having trouble picking out single notes so here i am.... and now the white grape is really coming through
good stuff

even though it doesnt have the desired effect on me.

This is just too sweet for my skin. I'm a musk, amber, deep green, wood-type person and this just doesn't suit my chemistry.

I also found Shattered a little too sweet for me. Initially, there was a strong burst of grapefruit which was nice and tart, but then it turned into candy on my skin. Interestingly, I tried it on a friend and on her skin, there was more mintiness that was very pretty. She ended up keeping it and loves it.

Edited by ChupaChup

I was really disappointed by Shattered because I was incredibly excited to try a second BPAL scent with a champagne note.

The only scent that I picked up from this oil both wet and dry was sweet mint. Other perfumes with mint that I have tried tend to be more harsh and biting. This mint was soft, candy-like, and gentle.

I did not smell any elements of grapefruit or champagne at any point in time :P

I got a hint of grapefuit and champagne at first, which I think would be really winning, even for a non-citrus person (that would be me). But then the lotus comes through, with the mint underneath, and that's not so good. Lotus just doesn't work on me, and lotus and mint don't (to me) work together.

Wish I got the grapefuit-champage combo...!

Shattered makes me cold all over. When wet the mint was fairly prominent, but eased back once it was dry. Then it was lotus's turn. This stage was almost warm for a few minutes as the bubblegum of the lotus worked itself into a nearly tuttifruiti frenzy. After this 5-10 minute stage it became absolutely beautiful. It is subdued and does not waft that much, but the fragrance is so qhite as to be almost clear. The menthol of the mint doesn't strike me as any mint in particular just a sharp cold sensation on the back of my throught like breathing in deeply on the coldest of mornings. The champagne note only adds to that feeling. Fragile, beautiful and cold this almost makes me think of ice sculptures.

04sbD30.jpg

Edited by omly

Wet: If they had a mint sweet tart. . .it would smell exactly like this. . .it's very candy like but also crisp at the same time. It's like it can decide what it wants to be.

Dry down: Mmmmmmmmmm this smells soooooo goood. I'm in heaven. It makes me shiver, it's very cold and crisp like stepping outside into a winter night. The flower note has come through beautifully, and there is still that sweet undercurrent which makes this delicious.

I need a big bottle of this :P

In the bottle: At first I smelled it and thought lemon, which worried me because that was how Callie struck me and we never got along. So I put it away and fawned over Titania instead. Today, I decided to give it a chance. When I opened it, I made the boy smell it, too. We eventually decided it smelled like peppermint schnappes.

Wet: The alcoholic undertone thankfully faded away once this has been added to the skin. There was a faint citrus and even anise-like undertone to the mint that was the prevalent scent.

Drying: The mint continued to calm down letting the slightest tone of the other scents come through.

Dry: The mint was now an afternote itself. Mostly, it smelled like crisp, clean laundry. This is a very clean, fresh, wake you up kind of scent. It's not sweet like Titania or floral like Libra. It is clean and crisp with prevalent citrus and mint notes. I like this. I probably won't wear it a lot, but I am glad I bought the 5ml from lorajc.

Curse of the fruity lotus. Lotus and I don't get along. It is fruity on me, and anything fruity my skin magnifies like it's going out of style. Which might not be so bad except for that it also insists upon making it smell fake and cheap, with the exception of citrus, apple and pear. Like Pandora, this is intially the fruity lotus and mint. The mint, I like, but the lotus is not particularly appealing on me, I'm sorry to report. It's touched with the aquatic notes, but they are far in the background and recede with the mint until it's just the lotus alone on stage with its fruity monologue. Oh bum. It sounded so lovely that I wanted to try it despite the lotus-- I'm sure it's gorgeous on people who are not me.

Edited by with coffee spoons

In my first order of imps, this was immediately one of my favorites. It has a bright tang to it. The blending of the grapefruit and champagne startled me at first, but quickly grew on me. The sharpness of the mint complimented the citrus, and enhanced the sweetness of the scent. On my skin, it is more of a series of echoes from the initial sharpness.

This smells EXACTLY like the post-methol drydown of Undertow on me. Apparently my skin likes lotus so much that it amplifies it to the point that it eats all the other notes. Unfortunately, lotus doesn't really smell that good on me - a bit musty (same problem I often have with grapefruit, which is also in this blend). Oh well.

Again- Beth and crew have mastered the wonderful world of scents. This will be a a big bottle! :P

In the imp: Spicy juicy fruit. *glares* Not what I expected from the reviews.

Wet: I smell a slightly sharp spicy scent and sweetness. The juicy fruit has left the building. Floral. Citrus. Fresh. And then something warmly spicy.

Dry: (3 hours) The world should smell like shattered. It is clean and exciting. It is adrenaline in a bottle. This reminds me of watching the sun dance in ice as it clings to frozen tree branches and just that split second where the ice breaks from the branch and is suspended in air before it reaches the ground. That moment that makes you hold your breath in anticipation. That moment where your heart skips a beat.

*edits* I don't get any mint from Shattered. Maybe that is the warm spicy tone I am getting but it really does not strike me as minty.

Edited by Lina

Cool, slightly minty. A very “distant” scent. A few minutes after putting Shattered on, I smelled something I didn’t like. I thought, “Good God, that woman [the person in the cubicle next to me] always puts on artificial, bad-smelling scents.” I figured out that what I smelled was Shattered. The bad news: I don’t like the scent. The good news: Shattered really wafts. I think it’s finely crafted, and rather does make me think of glass, at times, but it has this plastic-y artificial smell—which is probably just the “glass” components speaking. Reading the description, maybe it’s just the aquatic blooms and lotus that aren’t sitting well with me (lotus and I have a hate-hate relationship). I’m probably getting the “plastic” impression from the white champagne notes. If so, that’s a pity, because smelling like white champagne sounds really good. The scent stayed pretty constant throughout the day. Four hours later, it seems less plastic-y, so I’m warming up to it (only slightly). Maybe the grapefruit came out more. My own personal preferences aside, Shattered is really well blended (naturally). The notes all work together to create a scent that is true to the description.

In the bottle:

It smells like Fresca. That would be the grapefruit, and the bubbly, carbonated feel the champagne

On me:

I am so glad Beth sent this to me as a freebie... I just had my heart, well, shattered, and this has the feel of a picture lying on the floor, glass shattered, tears falling around it, perhaps a prick of blood as a brokenhearted woman kneels to try to pick up her heart....

~Diamond~

I need a 5mL of this. Right. Now.

The scent didn't change much once it was on me, but that's okay. I loved it. The grapefruit came through as the strongest scent, followed by the lotus, then the aquatics. I didn't get much mint, but still, no problem. Even though the notes are scents that I associate more with summer, I liked this in the winter because it reminds me of sunny days. I didn't get a sense of it being sharp so much as refreshing. It was a nice pick-me-up on a cloudy day. This is a very clean scent, which makes me a fan, and it's nice to wear if you just want to smell good and not say "Hi world! I'm wearing perfume!" My only complaint is that it didn't last as long as I'd like, but I think that's something in me: scents in general don't last long on me. Still, for when it did last it was very nice. Enough citrus for those who prefer citrusy scents, but not so citrusy that those who prefer a lighter scent couldn't get away with it.

I got a 5ml of this from jj_j before I ever smelled it, and I'm so glad I did. :P

This has more of the crisp sharpness i was kind of expecting from Frost Moon, just as I thought it would.

In the bottle it's a crisp, sweet mint.. very delicious. (If I keep breating it in from the bottle, I can see where the spicy juicy fruit reference Lina made came from, but it's not super strong).

On: Thankfully, the champagne doesn't get slightly sour on me like bon vivant did. The scent stays pretty much the same, but it doesn't last very long. I believe I'm destined to have mint evaporate or eaten by my skin quickly for all time. It's such a gorgeous scent, though, that I'll keep reapplying it all day to keep it around.

Verdict: Love it!

This will be a fabulous scent for when it's all hot and sticky out in the summer. It's so cool smelling, light, and fresh..!

Edited by harlequin

I put this on my Wishlist because I was in a "now for something completely different!" mood. One of my lovely swappers stuck this in with our transaction and I was so happy to try it out.

This one really is completely different from my typical picks. It has a strange top note that I really can't identify, so I'm assuming that's the "champagne". The only other notes I can pick out are the candy-like lotus and a hint of green mint. It stayed very true from bottle sniff to drydown.

This is really just not my style. Lotus never seems to work for me. It's just too thickly sweet. And I'm not digging the champagne note. But if you like Bon Vivant, this is probably right up your alley!

In the imp: Minty fresh aquatics.

Wet: Minty champagne. It smells better than it sounds.

Drydown: A little bit of champagne, a little bit of grapefruit and a fair amount of lotus over a minty background.

Final thoughts: Very nice & invigorating!

In the vial this was wonderful - sharp, minty and refreshing. Sadly, once applied it dwindled rapidly to a soft fruity scent. It was pleasant but now what I was hoping for. Minty notes tend to disappear quite rapidly on me and grapefruit barely shows up at all. I was realy looking forward to trying this but it was a two-second wonder on my skin.

This is a beautiful mint and grapefruit scent. The mint is a sweet mint, similar to what I smell in Frost Moon. It's so cold that it actually tingles my skin quite a bit. It's simply gorgeous.

Unfortunately this lasted less than an hour on me. When I put it on I got the mint tingles, then a bit of white floral added to the mint-grapefruit mix, then it turns into a smooth creamy floral and then it disappears, *poof* from my skin. It was there and then it wasn't- the fade was amazingly quick.

If this lasted longer I'd buy it by the vat, but I just can't be reapplying every half hour.

TMI ~ I'm on the second day of my period, and used Lush's "Flying Fox" shower gel (meh) for the first time ever this morning. Between the two, I had a false start on my review and had to slather myself in this oil just to be able to smell it over the rather determinedly floral reek I'm experiencing.

Vial ~ I'm getting the light smell of peppermint candy - like a candy cane.

Wet ~ Whoo hoo! Boy, howdy, is this ever candy canes. If this is all I get out of it, it could be a good holiday scent.

Drying ~ Um. Candy canes and ... something else that I like better, but can't quite place. Something acidic and clean, like grapefruit.

Drydown ~ Lovely. It smells fresh and juicy.

Dry ~ It's dried to something barely noticeable. However, I'm getting an image of eating fresh grapefruit outside on a warm Spring day as a gentle breeze is blowing.

Fade ~ I have to get my wrist really close to my nose to smell this over the shower gel. It's pretty much the same scent, but much lighter.

Final thoughts ~ I'm going to have to try this again when I've been less experimental with my showering. I was hoping for a replacement for the dearly departed Tears, and this just isn't it. It is, however, a nice break from the shower gel -- ack.

Edited by byrdie

Wow! In the bottle, Shattered is white crystalline mint. Transferred to my skin, the mint takes hold. I now take back everything I said about mint not being a good thing for me. This is light, slightly powdery, but very smooth mint. As the blend begins to dry, the champagne notes really start to pop! It smells like a wine cooler. It's amazing how the bubbly personality of champagne is so easily transferred into a fragrance. Combined with the florals, Shattered turns into a night out on the town with the most popular, glamorous and extroverted girlfriend. It literally made me giggly for about 15 minutes.

I've been looking for a nice light scent that isn't floraly and is way original. Shattered fills my requirements and I think I'll need a big bottle just because it makes me feel happy, young, and sexy when I wear it.

i received this as a gift from the lab, and never would have ordered it on my own. thank you so much!! :P

shattered is a very intriguing scent - i feel it in my eyes, and on my tounge, like menthol.

wet and during drydown, i get mint, but it is mint over sweet tarts. i think grapefruit becomes sweet tarts on my skin. and maybe there is a touch of (the dreaded) ginger, but not enough to make it bitter, which is what ginger does on my skin.

as it dries more, i feel it more in the front of my sinuses. i get the feeling that i'm hitting off my grandma's oxygen tank. . . (shhhh!! :D ) i feel this scent more physically than i do most.

crystaline. bright. clear. cold. high. those are the words that come to mind. it is a blinding white scent, with just a touch of green.

i like it, but think i will wear this much more in the summer, as it makes me feel kinda chilly. . . .i also think warm skin would amp this up more than my current cold skin.

Shattered - Out of the bottle and first on, it’s sharp and lemony with a bit of sweetness in the background. Oh dear, as it dries, I’m getting something I don’t think agrees with me and it’s somewhat unsettling - which would make it true to its namesake. It smells like fresh mint, very green and kind of not so pleasant with my chemistry - it’s almost like licorice or even cilantro. When completely dry, there’s still that unsettling note, but also a mustiness. I was hoping for a refreshing “cold” scent for summer, and it is those things, but there’s a particular note that is putting me off.

smells all minty in the bottle

on it is mint and grapefruit, very clean, bright, sharp

i like a dirtier smell but this is pretty for those of you who like mintiness