Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Vanilla

Lush to BPAL scent comparisons (BNever included too)

Surprisingly, Tushnamatay is very, very much like Lush Sympathy for the Skin. I thought it would be more spicy, but it's all creamy vanilla with a light banana scent, exactly what I get from Sympathy for the Skin. The only difference is that Tushnamatay has a very subtle floral note. On me it doesn't last at all, unfortunately. :P

One of the reviews for Love and Pain (one of the new salons) says that it is a lot like American Cream/Flosty Gritter. I really want to try it now! I've been searching and waiting for a BPAL vanilla + lavendar.

Hi. If you've read this far....please add a comment. I'm dying for a BPAL with a similar fragrance to Lush's Tramp shower gel. It's patchouli and melissa and herbally to-die-for goodness. I need BPAL to finish me off once I'm out of the shower though.

Up until now I was frightened of Patchouli....but now I need some.

From the reviews of scents with patchouli listed I think Mr Jacquel might work nicely...but I'd love to hear from more experienced BPALers. Please?

Thanks so much! Christine

Dance of Death is spot-on for Tramp! I have a giant bottle of Tramp, and a bottle of Dance of Death, and they are practically identical. Melissa is not an ingredient in Dance of Death, but the feeling overall is very similar.

Thanks for asking this! I got a bottle of Tramp last week for the first time and I like it quite a bit.

*adds imp of Dance of Death to order list*

My vote is for Dance of Death too - but I think you might be needing this thread. :P

After deciding to re-start my quest for something similar to Joy of Jelly, I pulled it out of the freezer, sniffed it, and… realized, it smells a lot like my the cause of my first BPAL order, and number one BPAL love: Midnight on the Midway.

Both have a very similar sweet, musky jasmine smell, but MotM has a little a bit more sugar in place of JoJ’s almost fabric-y soap and synthetic musk smell (that ‘fabric-soap’ scent eventually fades into something candyish, but it never has that dusted-sugar smell of MotM)… and of course, there’s that nag champa bit in MotM that eventually kicks in.

Still, they are a lot alike on me. :D :P

Edited in an attempt to make more sense. :D

Edited by icing

Any ideas for a scent similar to the Goth Juice hairgel? It's very sharp and green and the obvious scent ingredients on the pot are lemon, oakmoss, hemp and olibanum, although there's also 'perfume' so there's possibly a bit more to it than those notes.

Todays LUSH + BPAL concoction:

Karma Komba shampoo bar used on body & hair + soft couer massage bar + Karma Dusting powder +Perversion

Ohhh la la!

Any ideas for a scent similar to the Goth Juice hairgel? It's very sharp and green and the obvious scent ingredients on the pot are lemon, oakmoss, hemp and olibanum, although there's also 'perfume' so there's possibly a bit more to it than those notes.

Hm, I haven't smelled Goth Juice (awesome name though!) but based on the notes, I'd suggest:

Omen : oakmoss, juniper berry, myrrh and patchouli.

Greed: patchouli, heliotrope, copal and oakmoss.

I searched "oakmoss" because it seemed the tricksiest note; I think patchouli might "feel" a lot like hemp, so these two stood out for me.

I realize this is probably very old news, but I was showering with Honey I Washed the Kids yesterday and I realized that it smelled exactly like the sugary vanilla in Dorian. It lacks Dorian's tea and musk, but it's really remarkably close. Which is good, because I used up my bar of Dorian soap ages ago and haven't ordered more yet.

Now if only I could find a BPAL blend that smells like Rock Star. I've resorted to layering, but it's never quite the same.

I find that Hollywood Babylon is very similar to Rock Star and Two Timing Tart. Must be the strawberry! Two Timing Tart is, sadly, discontinued.

I'm DYING to know if anyone has any recs for my two favorite scents- Olive Branch and Something Wicked. Haven't seen anything for Something wicked yet, and so far it looks like Dorian was the only one mentioned for OB. Thanks!!

I would love to know of any similar Olive Branch scents too. It's my favorite Lush scent!

I'm really surprised I'm the first one to mention this, but Kuang-Shi is a very good match for The Olive Branch. It's the white musk and citrus combination. Lovely. I don't find Dorian to be very similar, personally.

I love Lush's jasmine scented products, especially Flying Fox, but I can't take BPAL's jasmine which smells very different to me. However, Namaste and Euphrosyne both bear some resemblance to Flying Fox. Euphrosyne is all Flying Fox for the first few minutes, but changes to BPAL-type jasmine in the drydown. Namaste (which I much prefer) is a lemongrass/incense scent that periodically goes through very Flying Fox-like stages, on me.

Now if only I could find a BPAL blend that smells like Rock Star. I've resorted to layering, but it's never quite the same.

Have you tried Bon Vivant? Smells like Rock Star without Vanilla to me and I equally hate both because both turn to a vomit-like sour smell on me. But that would still need a rather plain vanilla note to layer with it.

Dance of Death has the same very deep quality as Tramp but it still smells totally different to me, sweeter and more powdery, not green at all but black/golden. And there is no orris in Tramp, I get a lot of it from Dance of Death.

But I have to say I never smelled new Dance of Death because my bottle was an e-bay purchase and has to be very old since it is a blue bottle. Maybe it has changed? I bought it because of this thread and people saying they smell almost the same, Tramp is my absolute favourite Lush smell. After my initial disappointment I started to love both.

I have a bathtub now, but lots of bottles of LUSH show gel leftover from my shower only days, so naturally I use that as bubble bath, and when whipped to a fenzy of hot, foamy water I found that the Trampy patchouli that wafts through my bathroom actually reminds me a lot of Snake Oil.

I kept on wrinkling my nose and sniffing, because in the bottle and actually when you just use it as shower gel the similarity isn't that obvious, but it's definitely there. :P

A new winner in the Tramp-smell-alike-contest, at least for me. Scarecrow!

It smells like a mix of Tramp and Goth Juice to me.

Omen is not exactly the same as Goth Juice but they go together well, my boyfriend likes Omen a lot and uses Goth Juice on his hair. A lot of Oakmoss!

Todays LUSH + BPAL concoction:

Karma Komba shampoo bar used on body & hair + soft couer massage bar + Karma Dusting powder +Perversion

Ohhh la la!

oh that sounds so divine lionesse!

i am way going to try this combo...thank you so much for the marvelous rec!! :P

Have you tried Bon Vivant? Smells like Rock Star without Vanilla to me and I equally hate both because both turn to a vomit-like sour smell on me. But that would still need a rather plain vanilla note to layer with it.

Don't know how I missed this post! Let's see, I have tried layering Bon Vivant with...I think it was Underpants, but it's not quite the same. Bon Vivant's fizzy champagne note is very apparent to me. I have found more recently that this year's Hunter Moon smells very much like Rock Star in the early wet stage. It's also fizzy, but not at all champagne-y, more like a fizzy candy or soda, so that's a perfect match for Rock Star. Of course, it doesn't keep smelling like that, but I enjoy it while it lasts, and the later stages are delicious in other ways.

Don't know how I missed this post! Let's see, I have tried layering Bon Vivant with...I think it was Underpants, but it's not quite the same. Bon Vivant's fizzy champagne note is very apparent to me. I have found more recently that this year's Hunter Moon smells very much like Rock Star in the early wet stage. It's also fizzy, but not at all champagne-y, more like a fizzy candy or soda, so that's a perfect match for Rock Star. Of course, it doesn't keep smelling like that, but I enjoy it while it lasts, and the later stages are delicious in other ways.

Heh... I guess it was still worth a try :P

I so wish anything like that would ever smell nice on me, I like champagne notes but the strawberry must hate me.

They have disconned Alkmaar and 17th Cherry Tree Lane now. Can anyone help me cope with the loss?

Edited by ImperatrixMundi

I have to figure out a workaround for my DC'd Schnuggle.

I ordered from the UK last night and my finances won't tolerate too much of that (they have their Xmas stuff up though!!).

I'm tempted to melt down my unused Mange bar, add whip in some cornstarch.

Some of my favorites lately, they are not always 'copies' or even all that close, but I find they layer well.

B Never too Busy 2 Be Beautiful (discon shower gel) + Honey Moon (Yes, obvious, I know)

Tramp + Belladonna (Dance of Death never worked with Tramp for me at all). Belladonna doesn't smell 'the same' but... they meld very well, with the green and woodsy. Is sort of like Tramp is the forest, and Belladonna is the banks of the cool glacier water brook that runs through it.

Potion (discon lotion) + Alice

Skin Sin (lotion) + Blood Kiss

Les Cacas (henna) + the new Hunter Moon

Jasmin and Henna Fluff-Ease + New Orleans

Some of my favorites lately, they are not always 'copies' or even all that close, but I find they layer well.

B Never too Busy 2 Be Beautiful (discon shower gel) + Honey Moon (Yes, obvious, I know)

Tramp + Belladonna (Dance of Death never worked with Tramp for me at all). Belladonna doesn't smell 'the same' but... they meld very well, with the green and woodsy. Is sort of like Tramp is the forest, and Belladonna is the banks of the cool glacier water brook that runs through it.

Potion (discon lotion) + Alice

Jasmin and Henna Fluff-Ease + New Orleans

I love B Never gel and I think Honey Moon is a great follow up to B Never shower or bath too. The Honey Bee ballistic is nice (if you can overlook the rhassoul mud in the bottom of the tub afterward), but my absolute favorite Lush honey products were Honey Lumps (aka Honey Comfort) ballistics and Flying Saucers bubble bars. They've been gone for so long now, only some hard core Lushies probably remember them. :D

I have been hard pressed to find anything that smells like Tramp on me - I have a chemistry that makes dry notes drier. Lots of people have found Luperci (one of the Valentine LEs from 06 and 07) turns into Tramp on them... no such luck for me. But yesterday I used some Tramp lotion with Mantis and it was fabulous together. Of course, Tramp lotion was a one-off forum special and is hard to find, Mantis was discontinued a while back. I guess I will enjoy the green patchouli cloud while it lasts.

And I heartily second the Potion/Alice combo. If you love one, you are denying yourself so much by not trying the other. :P

I was excited to see that Fluff Ease & New Orleans are nice together - I haven't had a chance to sniff it yet but there's a Lush store in my city, finally - so I am planning to get over there to sniff all the new hair stuff. I love New Orleans! But Flying Fox and Godiva are a bit much for me... is the scent of the Fluff Ease as strong?