Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Vanilla

Lush to BPAL scent comparisons (BNever included too)

Still on the hunt for something similar to Lush's Amazonian massage bar (i LOST IT when they discontinued this. I have a paper thin slip of this that I keep wrapped in cloth in my drawer and sometimes I pull it out. And weep). It's Patchouli, Orange Blossom, Ylang Ylang and Tangerine.

A friend somehow got her hands on Obeah ages ago, and it smelled pretty similar, but it's impossible to find. A Countenance of Forboding Evil is Blood Orange, Patchouli, Ylang Ylang and Vetiver, that sounds close right? (RIGHT?! oh god please let it be right) I've yet to try that one. Anyone think it's comparable?

Amazonian was heavenly.... It's not a clone but the GC blend Desire has a very similar feel on me. Would be super easy to track down an imp too!

Thanks for the recommendation! I will hunt some down :type:

If you loved Lily Savon or Ghost (LE shower gel with the same scent), give Lily Witch a try. The opening is different what with the almond and lime and all, but the drydown (and throw, which is MIGHTY, holy heck!) is almost all creamy lily.

I have scoured this forum for comparisons to the departed Tramp. I have spent COPIOUS amounts of money and tried to even have the scent recreated on Etsy - all in vain. So far I have narrowed down these as being potential Tramp dupes based on previous posts on this forum:

Dance Of Death

Scarecrow

Belladonna

Greed

I realize once they are on my body, they will transform... so.... just IN THE BOTTLE - what do you guys think smells most like the beloved, the revered, the sacred scent of Tramp. I love it so much I can't even function.

I have bought patchouli and oak moss combo oil - nope

I have bought weird combinations of patchouli and oakmoss with other things... nope....nada

I could just buy all 4 samples of the above but I'd like to know opinions first. I really really would appreciate input here.

Thank you!

Edited by TrampLibra

I have scoured this forum for comparisons to the departed Tramp. I have spent COPIOUS amounts of money and tried to even have the scent recreated on Etsy - all in vain. So far I have narrowed down these as being potential Tramp dupes based on previous posts on this forum:

Dance Of Death

Scarecrow

Belladonna

Greed

I realize once they are on my body, they will transform... so.... just IN THE BOTTLE - what do you guys think smells most like the beloved, the revered, the sacred scent of Tramp. I love it so much I can't even function.

I have bought weird combinations of patchouli and oakmoss with other things... nope....nada

I could just buy all 4 samples of the above but I'd like to know opinions first. I really really would appreciate input here.

Thank you!

IMO, it would be safe to loose Dance of Death. Have you tried Zombi or any of the other dirt oils?

Dance Of Death

Scarecrow

Belladonna

Greed

Thank you!

IMO, it would be safe to loose Dance of Death. Have you tried Zombi or any of the other dirt oils?

I found Bpal and this site by accident while doing a google search for, "Smells like Tramp".... so I've never bought any Bpal products. That's interesting you say that about Dance of Death because that was the google result that landed me here. Many others say it smells like. But you don't think so? I'll look up Zombi now...

Thanks for you input!!!

Dance Of Death

Scarecrow

Belladonna

Greed

Thank you!

Hmm - tramp had patchouli, no? And it had a grassy earthiness to it to, right?

What about Burial? "The Dark Side of Earth: deep, brooding forest scents, including juniper and patchouli. The scent of upturned cemetery loam mingling with floral offerings to the dead."

I'd say Greed is worth a try as well.

Maybe also Ranger from the RPG series - "Untamed wilderness: buckskin accord with Terebinth pine, Russian birch, black ironwood, elder bark, hay, armoise, juniper, patchouli, galangal root, Spanish moss, and cabreuva."

There is also the Potter's Field - that one doesn't have patch though and you can't just get an imp's worth to try.

Just guessing though as I never really got into Tramp and I haven't really tried the above. Just going off notes here.

Is there still anything that's close to Sex Bomb? I love jasmine, ylang ylang, and clary sage, and I've heard Midnight and The Coil were close, but I think they've been discontinued. Anything in the same line of seductive, exotic-ish floral?

I'm looking for something similar to Lush's Lord of Misrule; I can't get over how much I love this scent. Someone posted about it a few pages ago but there were no suggestions. The main notes in LoM are black pepper, patchouli, vanilla absolute and gardenia. I'm very new to BPAL so I'm still poking around. I did find the directory and looked up patchouli scents then searched for pepper among them. There were three possibilities (and three others that are unavailable).

- Rumpelstilzchen (I intend to purchase an imp of this) Firewood and ash with an oddly otherworldly blend of patchouli, cardamom, nutmeg, black pepper, tonka, vetiver, and myrrh.

- Avenger Plush vanilla bourbon and rum accord with pink pepper, patchouli, clove, pikaki, golden amber, caraway, tuberose, and jacarandá-da-bahia

- Emma Vanilla bourbon, tea rose, jasmine, pink pepper, and patchouli

The second two might be the better options, but I wanted to check around first since I can't buy an imp of these scents. Has anyone had any experience with LoM and the other three? Or have any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Edited by Triia

Can you describe what the scent is like for you? Is there any note that predominates, or do they have roughly equal strengths?

Hmm... that's tough for me. Everyone here seems so good at describing scents. :blush: For having patchouli and pepper, the scent seems rather soft to me. The notes seem to have fairly equal strengths. I sometimes catch a faint whiff of vanilla, which I'm thinking gives it the softness. The patchouli is not terribly strong.

I did manage to get my hands on a solid perfume and a small vial of the liquid. The liquid perfume has a note of what almost reminds me of a bottle of frankincense essential oil I used to have, though that isn't in it, as far as I know (the pepper, maybe?). It's a little bit spicier than the solid. Either way, I love them both.

Emma will probably be more floral than you're looking for, then - most of the reviews mention it. You could see about finding a decant from someone in the Sales and Swaps board, though.

Two other possibilities could be Mars Ultor (black amber and smoky vanilla with cistus, benzoin, caramelized tobacco, and blackened nutmeg), which is a current LE, or Arise, Lift Up Thine Eyes and See (champaca flower gilded with golden amber, Madagascar vanilla, Roman chamomile, and black nutmeg), which is a LE from last year's Lupercalia, so another one you'd need to find in sales or swaps. You can see reviews of both of them in the review section, under Limited Edition -> Lupercalia. :)

I had the craziest experience with Faces Cleaving Each to Each today. Wet, it's strong apple. Dry, it smells so much like Honey I Washed the Kids soap...and I have no idea how that's possible, looking at the note list. But it is, and I love that soap, so this is a wonderful thing.

Two other possibilities could be Mars Ultor (black amber and smoky vanilla with cistus, benzoin, caramelized tobacco, and blackened nutmeg), which is a current LE, or Arise, Lift Up Thine Eyes and See (champaca flower gilded with golden amber, Madagascar vanilla, Roman chamomile, and black nutmeg), which is a LE from last year's Lupercalia, so another one you'd need to find in sales or swaps. You can see reviews of both of them in the review section, under Limited Edition -> Lupercalia. :)

For the record, I managed to try both and Mars Ultor wins by a mile. It's very close, enough so that I find it to be a wonderful substitute. Now, if it just weren't limited edition... I think he'll be my very first back-up bottle. :)

Thank you so much for the recommendation!

Can anyone recommend a bpal that smells like lush happy happy joy joy?

Happy Happy Joy Joy smells just like Lushes Orange Blossom perfume (which is my favourite) but I haven't found any BPAL like it. Even the BPAL Orange Blossom SN isn't as sweet...

Though if you want something in the same area I can suggest Vixen "Lascivious, flirtatious, and vampy as hell. A true heartbreaker’s perfume. The innocence of orange blossom tainted by the beguiling scents of ginger and patchouli."

It's spicy but has that creamy orange blossom scent.

Oddly, the lush orange blossom doesn't work on me. I think there's a rose note in the happy happy joy joy that is missing from the OB. I do like vixen but it is as you say, not as sweet. I am looking to try tweedledee, does anyone know if that's similar?

The closest BPAL I've found to Happy Happy Joy Joy is BPAL's Changing the Shadows, which was a Yule LE from 2010, I think.

I'm yet another person seeking something that will if not replicate, at least compliment Lord of Misrule. After doing some digging I was wondering if anyone here has tried Revenant Rhythm? It seems like it has the two main notes I detect in LoM which are patchouli and vanilla. Can anyone weigh in? I'm considering ordering the hair gloss.

Revenant Rhythm is wonderful, but it's not quite Lord of Misrule. LoM has a bit more of a spiciness to it that RR lacks. That said, I would highly recommend RR. The smooth vanilla and patchouli blend together beautifully. I have the hair gloss, which sees lots of use, and the atmosphere spray. That gets sprayed on my pillow nearly every night at bedtime. I love LoM and I find RR very satisfying. The closest I found, as stated a few posts above, would be Mars Ultor, but sadly that was a limited edition and is pretty hard to find now. I haven't found a good GC scent that's similar, but the search goes on.

Ah what a shame. It's probably the lack of pepper in it. I'll likely still give it a go, anyway. It sounds amazing. It was a toss between that hair gloss or good old Dorian, but realistically I'll probably end up with both. I guess I'll be on the lookout for Mars and hope for the best. Thanks for your input!

I just tried The Apothecary, and it immediately reminded me of Lush's Ginger. On dry down, it's a bit sweeter than Ginger (from the fig) but definite similarities. :wub3:

Has anyone found anything that smells similiar to yuzu and cocoa? I pulled out the perfume yesterday and it's a smokey chocolate/sweet fruit type smell. It's sort of hard to describe.

I've been casually looking for a BPAL/BPTP oil that smells similar to Lush's halloween exclusive Nightwing shower jelly. It's a very yummy lime that isn't too tart, but isn't too sweet either. I believe the label says lime and aloe.

Does anyone think there's a dupe for Veganese scent? Its a soft sort of citrus.. like it doesn't have that "sting" to the skin or nose that something so heavy in citrus normally would. I detect herbal notes in it, too.