Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Vanilla

Lush to BPAL scent comparisons (BNever included too)

The Soft Touch...

My all-time favorite product and scent. It was what led me to this forum and BPAL.

Here's my recipe, which is the closest approximation of the scent I've been able to pull off:

1 part chimera

2 parts kuang-shi (for the mango note. The sandalwood in this isn't right, but this is the mango place holder until I find a BPAL that is mango-vanilla heavy)

1 part gobo

couple ounces of pure cocoa butter

Melt the cocoa butter on low heat until soft and melted. Remove from heat and let cool. Mixture should be warm and soft, but not HOT. Add above mentioned oils in the ratio above. Amount of oil added will depend on your taste, but I recommend experimenting. The cocoa butter does add a scent, so you will want to add oil mixture up to the point where the oil doesn't completely mask the cocoa butter.

It's not a perfect match, but damn it's yummy.

Lush's Snow Globe soap (grapefruit, lemon myrtle, and ylang ylang) smells exactly like Shoggoth. It's a little odd because none of the listed notes are the same, but they are both juicy-sweet citrus scents and I get the exact same "vibe" from them.

I've read through this whole thing and filled out a whole sheet of notes on stuff to try. However one I'm missing that is my to die for scent is Christmas Eve. The only one I saw in here was Eos...are there any others that come close?

I've just found myself newly hooked on LUSH products that contain the Rose Jam fragrance, which to my nose seem to be a solid mid-level fresh red rose combined with a bit of spice, like cinnamon, or cinnamon and clove, perhaps (though if it IS clove, nothing obvious about it, just there to lend a little tooth to the mix. Any recommendations?

I've just found myself newly hooked on LUSH products that contain the Rose Jam fragrance, which to my nose seem to be a solid mid-level fresh red rose combined with a bit of spice, like cinnamon, or cinnamon and clove, perhaps (though if it IS clove, nothing obvious about it, just there to lend a little tooth to the mix. Any recommendations?

I came here looking for the exact same thing! :wub2:

I haven't actually smelled Rose Jam, but the description made me think of Othello....

I think A Game Called Yes & No is really similar, if you can track it down. :) It reminds me of a cross between Rose Jam and Glogg.

Another is Athens, and it's a GC scent. :)

I think A Game Called Yes & No is really similar, if you can track it down. :) It reminds me of a cross between Rose Jam and Glogg.

Haha I came here for the same reason. I am recently hooked on their Rose Jam bubble bars. To me, it smells like coconut and rose. White Rose (from BPTP Unity set) has a similar smell but not exact. I'll have to check out Athens and see if I can track down a decant of A Game Called Yes & No.

Also, as I was going through my collection last night, I realized that Candy Phoenix smells nearly identical to Luch's Rockstar soap.

Haha I came here for the same reason. I am recently hooked on their Rose Jam bubble bars. To me, it smells like coconut and rose. White Rose (from BPTP Unity set) has a similar smell but not exact. I'll have to check out Athens and see if I can track down a decant of A Game Called Yes & No.

Also, as I was going through my collection last night, I realized that Candy Phoenix smells nearly identical to Luch's Rockstar soap.

Awesome! Just want to reaffirm that those two are no where near identical to Rose Jam, but I think they are as close as I have encountered during my BPAL years; don't want to get anyones hopes up to have them crushed, lol.

This is just my opinion, but I have the rose jam shower gel (haven't smelled the bubble bar, but I assume it's similar). I think delirium smells like Rose Jam, perhaps a tiny bit fruitier, but very close to my nose.

Yeah, I'm also a bit curious about a BPAL dupe of Rose Jam. Delirium is pretty close, though maybe a tad fruitier, like Jangzonrice said.

Also, Ro's Argan Body Conditioner by Lush smells very close to BPAL's Love, if a bit creamier.

Are there any BPAL oils that smell similar to Lush's Bohemian, Sandstone or Sexy Peel soaps? Bohemian and Sandstone are more lemony while Sexy Peel is more orangey with hints of lemon and lime (at least to my nose), but they smell very natural. A search in this thread for Sexy Peel brought back a suggestion of Baobhan Sith, but that one seems to have a top note of grapefruit and I don't care much for grapefruit on my skin, nor do I smell much grapefruit in Sexy Peel. Someone suggested Embalming Fluid for Sandstone, but I already own an imp of it (agreeing that it's delicious) and I would love to try something new. Basically, I'm hoping to find fresh citrus (minus grapefruit) oils that don't smell like sticky candy!

Edited by enjolras

I'm a bit addicted to Lush's R&B hair stuff, but the scent really sticks around when my hair is damp. What BPAL is going to layer nicely with it? It's scented with jasmine and orange blossom, though it's no where near as overpowering as most jasmine scents.

I'm so distraught right now, holy shit.

So around Valentine's Day, I snagged a bottle of the Prince Charming shower gel, not realizing that it was a limited edition Valentine's Day item. Fast forward to about a month from that day (by which I mean earlier tonight), and I realize that the bottle says limited edition, after putting a tiny bit in my bathwater (along with a blend of Epsom salts and essential oils) to pick up the smell. Fast forward to my frantic post-bath scrambling to see if Lush, by any godforsaken chance, still has it in stock, and my dreams are crushed: there's neither hide nor hair of it on the site.

I'd purchase a bottle from Ebay or something, but even the smallest size bottle is going for upwards of $20, and I can't even tell you how upset I am. While the shower gel smells a bit strange in the container, it turns into something creamy and wonderful on my skin, with a sharp bit of citrus, rounded out by the pomegranate and marshmallow extracts. It sounds like such a strange combination of notes, and I'm really at a loss as to what I could use to replace it.

The notes listed are as follows:

Grapefruit, pomegranate [juice], marshmallow root extract, vanilla, and almond.

Somehow, with the way it's blended, the last three notes all but blend together to create a lovely, creamy undertone, that really keeps it from going too overboard with the grapefruit (which I often find to be too strong on its own), while the pomegranate adds something absolutely unique, blending very nicely with the grapefruit.

Sandalwood oil and geranium oil are both in the ingredient list, but I'm not sure how much of an influence they play in rounding out the grapefruit's scent.

I'm really not sure what I should even be looking for, seeing as I'm very much still a newbie to BPAL (my first order hasn't even arrived yet), and am still figuring out the what's what, as far as perfume oil goes. It seems, however, that I'm looking for an almost-sharp citrus scent, toned down by some sweeter notes (preferably in the vanilla/almond family, as they both smell wonderful on me, and I'm not sure about any other traditionally sweet notes, just yet), with some kind of hint of other fruit?

Man, I'm really starting to ramble here, but I figure that should get my point across.

Just tried Against Idleness and Mischeif and it smells identical to the B Never Too Busy 2 Be Beautiful shower gel (and whatever else they make in that scent). So. Good.

Phoenix Rising looks like apple, orange, cinnamon? For that I'd try Fearful Pleasure (Dried orange peels floating in simmering cider, roasted apples, smoldering firewood, chimney smoke, sassafras beer, warm hawthorn wood, and oakmoss). It's mostly apple-cinnamon, with some brightness from the orange peel and the other notes simmering softly in the background. Might be hard to get your hands on some though, since it's a LE from 2008. Alternative apple scents are Autumn Cider (Fermented apple juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, clove, lemon zest, butterscotch liquor, and orange slices), which has all of the notes, but I've never tried it myself, or Lambs-Wool (A popular holy day beverage in 18th century Ireland: roasted apples mashed into warmed milk and ale, with nutmeg, sugar, ginger, and clove), which is non-cinnamon spices and no orange, but warm and apply.

Let the Good Times Roll says it's a butter caramel? There's a few good caramel options, but nothing that I know of that's just caramel. Creepy (As creepy as Spooky was spooky, this is the scent of butterscotch-kissed, caramel-smothered red apples spiked with a blast of coconut rum), Agrat-Bat-Mahlaht (Amber, cream accord, white honey, apple blossom, skin musk, caramel, and teak), and Red Lantern (Golden amber, blonde tobacco, Sudanese black coconut, rich caramel, black currant, white opium and delphinium laced with a sensual blend of Asian spice) are all pretty pure caramel on me, and a lot of other reviewers say the same - or very strong caramel, if not pure. Other options might be Bien Loin d'Ici (The Scarlet Woman, aglow with sensual indolence: red musk, benzoin, caramel accord, golden honey, and spiced Moroccan unguents), which is also pretty caramelly, or Sugar Skull (Vibrant with the joy and sweetness of life in death! A blend of five sugars, lightly dusted with candied fruits), which is more of a mapley or burnt sugar scent than a true caramel. Bite me (Croquembouche with almond silk and a drizzle of caramel) is caramelly, but also almondy. I've never tried The Arrival at the Sabbath and Homage to the Devil (Bourbon vanilla, benzoin, caramel, Mysore sandalwood, aged black patchouli, carnation, and iris florentina), but it gets some caramel-heavy reviews.

I think Thouros and Hope smell a lot like Rose Jam. Hope a bit moreso. I bet the two of them layered would be quite close to Rose Jam.

I was wondering if there are any BPALs that smell like the green Sugar Scrub? Or Sultana soap?

My mother-in-law just gave me some Honey Trap lip balm and the scent is heavenly. There is no scent description for lip balms but it contains honey, shea, white chocolate, vanilla, almond, and sweet orange oils. Anyone have any suggestions for a BPAL clone?

ETA for spelling derp

Edited by AlectoFurious

Still on the hunt for something similar to Lush's Amazonian massage bar (i LOST IT when they discontinued this. I have a paper thin slip of this that I keep wrapped in cloth in my drawer and sometimes I pull it out. And weep). It's Patchouli, Orange Blossom, Ylang Ylang and Tangerine.

A friend somehow got her hands on Obeah ages ago, and it smelled pretty similar, but it's impossible to find. A Countenance of Forboding Evil is Blood Orange, Patchouli, Ylang Ylang and Vetiver, that sounds close right? (RIGHT?! oh god please let it be right) I've yet to try that one. Anyone think it's comparable?

I am desperate to find something similar to Jingle Spells! It has Juniper, tangerine, fennel, and ylang ylang.

Also, Black Pearl which is Lavender and black currant I believe.

Still on the hunt for something similar to Lush's Amazonian massage bar (i LOST IT when they discontinued this. I have a paper thin slip of this that I keep wrapped in cloth in my drawer and sometimes I pull it out. And weep). It's Patchouli, Orange Blossom, Ylang Ylang and Tangerine.

A friend somehow got her hands on Obeah ages ago, and it smelled pretty similar, but it's impossible to find. A Countenance of Forboding Evil is Blood Orange, Patchouli, Ylang Ylang and Vetiver, that sounds close right? (RIGHT?! oh god please let it be right) I've yet to try that one. Anyone think it's comparable?

Amazonian was heavenly.... It's not a clone but the GC blend Desire has a very similar feel on me. Would be super easy to track down an imp too!