Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Vanilla

Lush to BPAL scent comparisons (BNever included too)

This isn't about similarity really, but I just slathered on some Gennivre after showering, and have to announce how amazingly it layers with Flying Fox. Carry on. :P

No, Old Madrid was the older name for what is now Madrid... a lot of the Wanderlust scents were re-named IIRC

I've just been given a Sex In The Shower from Lush and it smells gorgeous; the best jasmine scent I've tried by far.

Does anyone know of a BPAL scent that would come close to this? I have a bottle of Jasmine Cottage already but this is a different smell altogether.

Aw, we don't have those in North America yet (as far as I know)! I don't know if I love the shower-ballistic idea but I am always anxious to sniff every new thing that Lush cooks up. There's a cough-and-cold product that came out here a couple years ago, a fizzy eucalyptus-vapor tablet you put on the floor of the shower. My husband thinks they're great but I didn't think they gave off enough aroma to help my stuffiness. But I'm willing to see what Lush has done with the concept!

Maybe some Europeans who've tried this one or at least had the chance to smell it will weigh in. I will be looking forward to this scent in particular since most of the Lush jasmines I've encountered so far (Flying Fox, Godiva, Youki Hi) have had me fleeing the bathroom in fear.

Aw, we don't have those in North America yet (as far as I know)! I don't know if I love the shower-ballistic idea but I am always anxious to sniff every new thing that Lush cooks up. There's a cough-and-cold product that came out here a couple years ago, a fizzy eucalyptus-vapor tablet you put on the floor of the shower. My husband thinks they're great but I didn't think they gave off enough aroma to help my stuffiness. But I'm willing to see what Lush has done with the concept!

Maybe some Europeans who've tried this one or at least had the chance to smell it will weigh in. I will be looking forward to this scent in particular since most of the Lush jasmines I've encountered so far (Flying Fox, Godiva, Youki Hi) have had me fleeing the bathroom in fear.

Well this is totally different to the smell of Flying Fox and Youki Hi; not sure about Godiva, I don't use that. It smells lovely!

I reckon they'll bring this to the US sometime soon, they're probably just trialing it in the UK first. On the UK Lush site though, it's got some pretty bad reviews so far.. :P

Well this is totally different to the smell of Flying Fox and Youki Hi; not sure about Godiva, I don't use that. It smells lovely!

that's good news to me! I think Godiva smells just like Flying Fox (and IIRC that was what Lush intended the scent to be - really strong jasmine). I saw some of the bad reviews for the emotibombs, but sometimes the opinions of the online Lush fanatics don't seem to mesh with the sales statistics, so I guess we'll just be watching and waiting to see what happens with this product.

When I first put Hay Moon on I thought someone had gotten some Waylander soap (but with a tinge of citrus)!

Mead Moon. Let me just say DELICIOUS. And goes well w/ Lush's honey scents, i.e. HIWTK soap & solid perfume, Honey Bee bath bomb, and both Mange Too & Soft C'oeur massage bars. Not an exact match, but a wonderful compliment.

Mead Moon is a little more herbal; I also like to use it with lavender scents b/c the honey/herbal combo reminds me of a medieval or Rennaissance English garden with a golden beehive nestled in a bower :P Nice to put on a thin moisture veil of Lush's Therapy (lavender, chamomile) massage bar & then dab on Mead Moon. Beautiful together!!!

Mead Moon. Let me just say DELICIOUS. And goes well w/ Lush's honey scents, i.e. HIWTK soap & solid perfume, Honey Bee bath bomb, and both Mange Too & Soft C'oeur massage bars. Not an exact match, but a wonderful compliment.

Mead Moon is a little more herbal; I also like to use it with lavender scents b/c the honey/herbal combo reminds me of a medieval or Rennaissance English garden with a golden beehive nestled in a bower :D Nice to put on a thin moisture veil of Lush's Therapy (lavender, chamomile) massage bar & then dab on Mead Moon. Beautiful together!!!

If you like the honey-herbal combo, you seriously owe it to yourself to get a sniff of Honey Lumps (Retro ballistic) and Flying Saucers (Retro shower gel and bubble bath). These are my absolute favorite Lush products ever - I am beyond thrilled that Lush NA is selling them now. They remind me a lot of BPAL's Honey Moon from 2005, which to my nose was more herbal than Mead Moon and is probably my favorite BPAL honey scent :P

mmmm... Mange Too, I haven't used one in a while, massage bars don't get pulled out much in the summer around here but now you have me craving one! Who cares if it makes me a little greasy for this time of year :D

Edited by ivyandpeony
living ten years in the past

American Cream and White Phoenix. LOVE!

Really?! How did I miss this post?! AC is one of my favourite scents of all time, and I'm down to the last dribble of the forum-only perfume. *runs off to find some White Phoenix*

They remind me a lot of BPAL's Honey Moon from 1995, which to my nose was more herbal than Mead Moon and is probably my favorite BPAL honey scent :P

Now THAT must be a pretty exclusive scent. :D

They remind me a lot of BPAL's Honey Moon from 1995, which to my nose was more herbal than Mead Moon and is probably my favorite BPAL honey scent :P

Now THAT must be a pretty exclusive scent. :D

*snort* do you know how often I make that mistake? Even when I am in my right mind? :D

Mead Moon is a little more herbal; I also like to use it with lavender scents b/c the honey/herbal combo reminds me of a medieval or Rennaissance English garden with a golden beehive nestled in a bower :D Nice to put on a thin moisture veil of Lush's Therapy (lavender, chamomile) massage bar & then dab on Mead Moon. Beautiful together!!!

If you like the honey-herbal combo, you seriously owe it to yourself to get a sniff of Honey Lumps (Retro ballistic) and Flying Saucers (Retro shower gel and bubble bath). These are my absolute favorite Lush products ever - I am beyond thrilled that Lush NA is selling them now. They remind me a lot of BPAL's Honey Moon from 2005, which to my nose was more herbal than Mead Moon and is probably my favorite BPAL honey scent :P

mmmm... Mange Too, I haven't used one in a while, massage bars don't get pulled out much in the summer around here but now you have me craving one! Who cares if it makes me a little greasy for this time of year :D

Darn you! I was just waiting for an excuse to try some of the Retro stuff, especially Honey Lumps. Curses, you villain! Now I must place a Lush order :D

And thank God for massage bars. Now that I'm single & have no poor fool to massage my back, I still love to use 'em instead of lotion sometimes. Gooooood stuff.

I absolutely adore You Snap the Whip, which is described as cassis/black currant and bergamot, although I think the cocoa butter must contribute considerably to the scent. It's basically chocolate and a rich tart fruit, which I looove - I keep some crumbles in the butter tin so I can sniff it every so often even when I'm out of the butter itself.

I've looked at some of the BPAL perfumes that include those ingredients, but I haven't come across any that seem to match it - does anyone have recommendations that are close?

The Phantom Calliope?

A few months later I actually see this response. lol. That's one of the scents I have been considering, but the reviews mostly seem to point out the cherry, and I'm afraid of the patchouli - at least in terms of trying to match the scent. And it's not impable, so I'm waffling on whether to buy a bottle and hope I like it even if it's not at all like YSTW...

Just give Bordello a try!

I would LOVE a BPAL similar to Lush's Soft Touch massage bar. Anyone??

Do you mean the body bar? I think it and TKO smell a lot a like. In fact, my mom loves Soft Touch, so I bought her a bottle of TKO for her birthday and she agreed that they smell similar.

I would LOVE a BPAL similar to Lush's Soft Touch massage bar. Anyone??

Do you mean the body bar? I think it and TKO smell a lot a like. In fact, my mom loves Soft Touch, so I bought her a bottle of TKO for her birthday and she agreed that they smell similar.

Ooh I'll have to get a bottle of that, thank you!

(I hadn't even looked into this section before, so wouldn't have spotted it myself).

Thanks!

I absolutely adore You Snap the Whip, which is described as cassis/black currant and bergamot, although I think the cocoa butter must contribute considerably to the scent. It's basically chocolate and a rich tart fruit, which I looove - I keep some crumbles in the butter tin so I can sniff it every so often even when I'm out of the butter itself.

I've looked at some of the BPAL perfumes that include those ingredients, but I haven't come across any that seem to match it - does anyone have recommendations that are close?

The Phantom Calliope?

A few months later I actually see this response. lol. That's one of the scents I have been considering, but the reviews mostly seem to point out the cherry, and I'm afraid of the patchouli - at least in terms of trying to match the scent. And it's not impable, so I'm waffling on whether to buy a bottle and hope I like it even if it's not at all like YSTW...

Just give Bordello a try!

The description of Bordello terrifies me - as much as I love the Lab's plum, the amaretto/almond and booze are two of my biggest scent-dislikes.

I think what I'm looking for - having gone and sniffed what remains of my YSTW bar again - is a scent that's predominantly fruity - black currant with an undercurrent of chocolate and bergamot. If Marianne had cocoa notes, that might almost do the trick.

Yeah. Black currant, bergamot, and cocoa!

*flutters eyelashes at the Labbies*

The Phantom Calliope?

Having finally got a decant - this definitely ain't it. I think the cocoa butter must be crucial to the scent, in the end...

I'm after similarities between Soft Coeur (The Honeymooner). I did a quick search on the thread to reveal bliss and love lies bleeding are contenders. Any more? I found love's philosophy to replicate the minty vanilla I seemed to get. Not quite sure how to get the soft cocoa smell (the chocolate scent wasn't very prominent in my bar, as least not sugary rich- but certainly decadent to an extent). If lush did a perfume of it, I'd sell half my collection and hoard it instead D:

Edited by celestia

I dunno. To me, Soft Coeur smells exactly like the rest of the Honey Bee & HIWTK line. I haven't found any bpals that smell like it, although some go with it nicely like O and Hony Mone.

I dunno. To me, Soft Coeur smells exactly like the rest of the Honey Bee & HIWTK line. ...

Me too. I get a little bit of vanilla and mintiness from the Mange Too bar, but not Soft Couer - it's all honey on the verge of toffee to me with just a bit of richness from the chocolate part. But since saracakes is in the UK and Tempest and I are in North America, it could be that there are some subtle differences in the products!

I wonder if Mead Moon layered with a chocolatey BPAL of your choice would be a nice Soft Couer complement?

I think I've raved about how good Honey Moon (2005) is if you are a fan of Lush's honey stuffs - well, I think Mead Moon is an even better match for their current honey products. Honey Moon is more herbal, like the old school B Never gel, Flying Saucers bubble bars (and liquid bath-shower gel you can now get via Retro), and Honey Comfort (aka Honey Lumps) ballistics. Which are my Lush True Loves. I think I'd even stick Mange Too on this side of the fence.

Mead Moon is sweeter, which is why I think it reminds me more of the Honey Bee ballistic and HIWTK. I'd categorize Soft Couer over here as compared to Mange Too.

Honey lovers who don't have them need to track down Honey and Mead Moons, even if you have to sell slightly used organs to get them. :P

I kid, I kid! I wore some aged Hetairae yesterday and it took me to wild dimensions of honey love. It was like Skinny Dip meets B Never. :D

Hmm I see.

I want to try the others now! LOL. The ones I'm used to (Melbourne, Australia) are very vanilla rich with sugary mint and the chocolate is well.. not light and not heavy (like the candy butcher). The room was scented in it after an afternoon and it .. omg. I think i had an olfactory orgasm right then and there. ;O; Now that it's possible all the soft couer's smell somewhat different depending on the state/country... .. it's sort of... diminished my hope for a good while. hah

Thanks though D:

I dunno. To me, Soft Coeur smells exactly like the rest of the Honey Bee & HIWTK line. ...

Me too. I get a little bit of vanilla and mintiness from the Mange Too bar, but not Soft Couer - it's all honey on the verge of toffee to me with just a bit of richness from the chocolate part. But since saracakes is in the UK and Tempest and I are in North America, it could be that there are some subtle differences in the products!

I wonder if Mead Moon layered with a chocolatey BPAL of your choice would be a nice Soft Couer complement?

I think I've raved about how good Honey Moon (2005) is if you are a fan of Lush's honey stuffs - well, I think Mead Moon is an even better match for their current honey products. Honey Moon is more herbal, like the old school B Never gel, Flying Saucers bubble bars (and liquid bath-shower gel you can now get via Retro), and Honey Comfort (aka Honey Lumps) ballistics. Which are my Lush True Loves. I think I'd even stick Mange Too on this side of the fence.

Mead Moon is sweeter, which is why I think it reminds me more of the Honey Bee ballistic and HIWTK. I'd categorize Soft Couer over here as compared to Mange Too.

Honey lovers who don't have them need to track down Honey and Mead Moons, even if you have to sell slightly used organs to get them. :P

I kid, I kid! I wore some aged Hetairae yesterday and it took me to wild dimensions of honey love. It was like Skinny Dip meets B Never. :D