Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
dronzeka

One to Tie, Two to Win

onetotietwotowin.gif

One to Tie, Two to Win, C.M. Coolidge.

Dewy grass, summer breezes, and dandelion clocks.

In the bottle: fresh, green grass, and dandelions!

On: green! I'd kind of been thinking it would be sweeter, because I think I had mown grass in mind. It's very fresh, that kind of fresh damp grass. And the slightly spicy scent of dandelion. It's a cool, almost chilly grass. I'm not quite sure what I think of it - it is beautifully done, that's for sure. I'm not sure it's me, but it is a lovely scent. By the time it dries down, though, I think I really like it - it's all spicy airy dandelions. I'm going to have to try it once or twice again to see if I can get used to wearing it, but it is a really lovely, fresh, kind of refreshing scent. It will be lovely in hot weather.

i actually didn't think this would be a scent i would reach for often, but omg is this awesome.

it is laying on a plush yard, looking up at the clouds picking out shapes in the sky. so innocent, so warm. i can almost feel the warmth imminating from the bottle, feel the prickly grass poking through my clothes to tickle my flesh. this is gonna be worn as my lazy summer day scent.

One to Tie, Two to Win

I love the scent of fresh grass. Living in the city I don't get to smell it nearly enough, but it's truly one of my very favorite things. I'm always slightly disappointed in "grass" scented products, because they always smell too day-glo green, slightly bitter and sharp to me.

Not this one.

It's *lovely*. Slightly sweet, slightly earthy, and oh so green. It's very much, to me, the scent of childhood.

Sniffing from the bottle I smell sweet, sweet, fresh green grass and flowers (Like the poem: What is green? The grass is green/With little flowers in between). And strangely, I also smell really fresh...cassia bark? Not like the cassia oil you usually smell in perfumes, but the fresh sweetness of putting a piece of cinnamon bark up to your nose. (I thought this was odd, so I googled cassia and it turns out that part of what cassia it's fragrance is coumarin, which is the same thing that gives grass & hay their scent. Isn't that interesting? I never made the connection before. Anyhoo... ) The floral component is just strong enough to make this really wearable as a perfume, which is an added bonus. Like shelldoo, I wasn't positive I was going to like this as a perfume, but I wanted to order it because of the grassiness...and I'm really pleasantly surprised that it smells wonderful on me.

Yay!

Unfortunately, One to Tie, Two to Win isn't playing as nicely with my skin as it has for the other reviewers so far!

I've worn this two days in a row, to the same result. The first 45 minutes are rather overwhelmingly grassy ~ pungently so. Definitely unsubtle; my sister found it offensive. After those 45 minutes, the grass mellows way down and the sweet flowers become noticeable ... it's very pretty in this stage, a lovely fresh springlike scent. However, at this stage it also loses its throw, fades rapidly and within an hour is gone altogether. Poof!

One to Tie, Two to Win - This scent is very grassy, but predominantly is the scent of bitter, milky dandelion. The grassy aspect of it is so spot-on that I feel like I'm going to have a grass-allergy attack from the scent association. However, it brings back memories of sitting in my front yard as a little girl, showing my sister how to break open the stalk of a dandelion weed, and suck the bitter, milky substance out of the stem. I don't know how she does it, but Beth not only captures the grass and dandelion scent, but the smell of a warm, clear day with light breezes, and little puffy white clouds scattered across the deep, blue sky. It's about the greenest green scent you can imagine -- I would highly recommend this to people who like green, grassy scents. The throw and staying power are both very strong.

*L* My roomie thought it smelled like weeds. The kind you find when you're tromping in the woods behind your neighborhood/house early in the morning before the dew and water have a chance to burn off.

It does fade to a spicy flower on the skin (I've never smelled dandelions so I'm assuming) which is fun. This is a 'fun' scent though not one I'd wear. Still, not sorry I got to try it at all.

Oh! This was also the first perfume I've noticed the viscosity! It has a low viscosity as opposed to a lot of scene I wear, very 'watery' so be careful if you're decanting, it comes out faster than you might expect. :P

I love the dandelion in Roadhouse and I like grassy scents so this sounded like a sure thing to me -- and it is!

I haven't tried the single note of dandelion but I'd imagine it's very close to this. This is just bright yellow suns and fuzzy white moons of that crisp, succulent scent as it drifts across a meadow on a warm summer breeze. This is a fresh-mown lawn with all of the little decapitated dandelion heads drifting through the air.

It's so straightforward in its simplicity and beauty there's not much to say except: if this sounds good to you and you think you'll like it, you probably will! I'm not sure how long it lasts on me since I haven't had it on for long, but I imagine it would also work well in a locket or other dispersal method as well. I can't wait for it to warm up so I can wear it outside. I feel like there will be grass stains on my arm just from trying it!

I just cannot say enough good things about One to tie, two to win....I own a bottle of Dandelion SN but never wear it as I'm afraid I will run out and that will be the end....but I have found my Dandelion SN backup with this one...this scent is a dead ringer for Dandelion SN with a little bit of green grass thrown in. It's very fresh and clean smelling and will most likely be my signature scent for the summer...if you didn't buy a bottle...run out and get one before it's gone....it's that good!!!!

I was a little unsure about this one in the bottle, but on, it is an absolutely lovely blend of fresh cut grass and the dandelion from Roadhouse...this is an absolutely wonderful fresh summer scent. :P

This smells, both in the bottle and on, just like grass and danelions. My brother was out cutting the grass when I put it on, and I couldn't always tell whether the scent was coming in the window or from me. It's perfect.

The only problem is that it doesn't last long at all. It disappears to nothing after about an hour.

This one is JUST beautiful. It is the grassy scent I have been looking for. It is definitely more "straight grass" than a complex, garden/floral/grass like Garden Path with Chickens, but that is what I wanted for a scent that is very evocative of spring. I am not getting much of the bitter weed/spicy bit others have, but it's not quite sweet grass either. Definitely fresh.

Going for a bottle of this for certain!

Mmm, I love this one.

Wet it starts out as a slightly sharp grass, but the sharpness fades quickly. As it begins to dry a sweet, light floral (I'm assuming the dandelion) starts to emerge. After a while the dandelion becomes the more prominent note, but the grass is still there. This has pretty decent wear on my, at least 5 hours or so. All in all it's a lovely, sunny, fresh scent and I'm so glad I got it!

Gorgeous. This is such an olfactory snapshot for me, one that takes me right back to the summer days of my childhood.. probably right up to when I was 9 or 10. Our house then had a lawn that led up to a big common grass area, where the grass was bright green and lush. I'd often sit out there and make daisy chains, make little fairy nests out of mown grass or blow out the dandelion clocks when I was lucky enough to find one unplucked. That place/time had such a particular smell, and this is it. Bottled. One good sniff of it fills up my heart with peace and calm. Makes me smile. I'll really treasure the bottle I have, whether or not I wear it.

This is SUCH an amazingly lovely scent---and it IS a scent-memory for me as well. In the imp, it smells JUST like fresh cut grass and dandelion flowers. :D I know that this will be a favorite to sniff in the dead of winter when I need to think of Spring and Summer.

On my skin, it starts to turn after about 5-10 minutes.

It becomes a tiny bit LILAC (but a very PALE, understated lilac), and less grassy but still GREEN...and it is quite lovely.

So even though the scent does not remain dandelion and grass on my skin, it is still very beautiful.

Thanks SO MUCH to themerrybaker, my lovely Switch Witch who gifted me with this beauty.

:P

SO lovely...very summery. It smells like dandelions and greenery, and that scent of sun-baked grassy fields. Light, light floral, so soft. And it has a really clean undertone, it smells a bit like shampoo. Must repeat: do not buy another bottle, you only need one. Do not buy another...do not buy another...

::sits on hands to avoid making another purchase but it's hard, because this scent is that good::

This is SO COOL. I love that I managed to snag a bottle!

On me wet, it's like a freshly mowed lawn that has some dandelions as well --all snapped stems and leaves, very sharp and summery.

Once dried, a slight hint of something bitter appears. It's like a dandelion that was plucked, blown, and then trampled into the sidewalk --that slight decayed edge of browning green. I like it.

Much props to the Lab for this amazingly evocative scent! *cuddles bottle*

The reviews before mine are pretty accurate. I personally don't know the difference between grass and dandelions. However, I can smell the resemblance to Garden Path With Chickens. There is something a little sweet and billowy floating behind the sharp, green grassy smell. The scent has medium throw and barely changes at all as I wear it. The only change I noticed is a little bit of soapiness starts to come out after a while. The soapy note doesn't ever become strong.

For some reason I'm just not excited about this. It's not a scent that I love. I prefer the complexity of Garden Path. However, this is a great evocative scent, conjuring images like the other reviews pointed out.

First sniff -- dead on. How does she DO that?

Drydown -- this is an odd scent, to me -- it's simultaneously grassy and aquatic. My nose is really confused by that. It's a very clean scent, and summery. It's not quite me, but it's pretty, and I'm glad I tried it.

Actually, you know what it makes me think of? White sheets drying on a line in the breeze. I would LOVE to have laundry that smelled like this. It would be an absolutely gorgeous linen spray.

Imp: Indeed, this is really dead-on. It's like smelling the "dandelion and grass juice" that I used to make as a child, grubby little hands, playing outside in the garden (nevermind "the spider juice" or the "perfoom" that I made once for my mother by adding bits of flowers and grass to her expensive French perfume, yes she was *ever* so pleased... anyway..)

Wet: Yep. Grass and dandelions. Green yet sweet and slightly spicy. It is true that this is very "clean" smelling, and although I feel like it *is* unique, I think I have smelled something similar before. Someone mentioned shampoo above, and I'm inclined to agree.

Dry: It flits between being dead-on to being a bit more perfumey (which gives off the shampoo vibe). It is lovely though. I haven't been wearing it for long, so I don't know how long it lasts, but I wouldn't expect more than a few hours. I really considered buying a bottle of this one, but while I do love it, I think I will just enjoy my imp and not go crazy trying to find more.

Edited by Browneyes

I ordered two bottles of this because I'm a baseball fan who loves dogs and green florals. Good thing I liked it. :P

In the bottle: Grass clippings

Wet: Sweet and green, you can smell the milkiness of the dandelion

Drydown: Soft, like walking through a meadow of tall grass and wildflowers

Later: Nothin' but dandelion; doesn't last too long unfortunately

I want to bury my head in this scent like a dog into the grass. It's cheery, and I can imagine I'll pull it out on dreary winter days when I need a reminder of summer.

1247093061_6VZ2c-Ti.jpg

Imp: Green! Green, green, green, and then more green. I really like this before ever putting it on. If it doesn't work on my skin, I am still keeping it for room scenting, I love it so much.

Wet: Ahhhhh! True to the imp-smell, still green, and no problems with skin so far.

Dry: This is my childhood memories of summer at my grandparents distilled into a perfume. The green of grass and dandelion is softened upon drydown, and it doesn't last very long, but it is so heart-warming (to me) that stay just doesn't matter.

Verdict: Thank goodness I didn't wait for my circle decants to get here! I took a chance and ordered a bottle of this unsniffed before they went down at the end of April, because now I know one or two decants just wouldn't have been enough. This is a bottle-worthy blend, make no mistake. I will set aside one decant to see how it ages, because I am not sure how this will do for the longterm. I will wear this often this summer, I think.

Edited by stellans

This blend reminds me a little bit of Dirty's sweet, almost-floral laundry soapiness. It is like Dirty covered in heaps of grass clippings and dandelions. Green, a pleasant bitterness, and a sweet soapiness. It does turn a bit more soapy on my skin than I would like, and it fades fast on me. My boy really loves this one for himself, but says that the poor staying power keeps him from wanting a bottle. Wish it lasted longer.

In the imp and when first applied, this is incredible grass and dandelions. If I closed my eyes, I'd swear I was standing outside in a lush green field.

Now that's it's dried for two hours, it's some odd fabric softener type scent. Like when you buy things scented with "Summer Breeze" or something. Very fake and odd.

One to Tie, Two to Win, C.M. Coolidge.
Dewy grass, summer breezes, and dandelion clocks.

Wow, grass! That's some greenness.... On drydown the scent that I'm guessing is dandelion comes through; I'm trying to think of a way to describe it, and am only coming up with "eggy". I don't know what's up with my nose today - grapefruit in Riding The Goat, chalk in Kelly Pool, and now egg in this! Deeply weird. The green freshness is still there, with that hint of laundry-type softness that other people have noted. I got this one for my girlfriend, who loves green/grassy scents, so I'm hoping on her it stays true to the initial grassiness and doesn't go eggy!