Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Brianne

Milk Moon 2007

A fertile scent, generous, life-affirming, and swelling with a sense of triumph, warmth, and abundance: sweet milk, golden honey, fig fruit, pomegranate, dates, and white grape.

Apparently I haven't posted a review of this either:

The pomegranate note is very sharp in this one in the bottle and when it is first applied. The fruit is very strong. Later, it becomes creamier and more like that pina colada other folks are talking about. I do like it...especially layered over my Bath and Body Works Creamy Coconut lotion! :P

Nyerh. While I love the concept here, being a nursing mother definitely prejudices me against this... I already smell like body-temperature milk & Tropical Delite baby food. The faint waft of warm pee from my wrists :P is enough to send me to the bathroom to scrub this off.

Sweet and fruity but with a major tart zing from the pomegranate at first. It mellows down into a lovely light fruit scent on my skin with just a hint of cream in the background.

I really like this one, it's a beautiful scent on me.

The forumite who wrote that this is a pineapple coconut milkshake was precisely right! That's exactly what this is to my nose - creamy and tropical. I opened up the imp and went, "Huh? Pineapple Moon??!?" and then my friend (BPAL second opinion standby) sniffed it and immediately agreed! This one will be reserved for summer! :P

I've been on the fence about Milk Moon 2007 for a while. The only reason I bought it at all was because of FIG! but I can detect no fig whatsoever. None! Okay, I never get as much fig as I want, but usually there will be at least a tantalising whiff... but nothing.. I think it's overpowered by the honey and other 3 fruits.

So minus fig, there's not a lot left for me to like. Honey has never worked for me, nor milk, and the addition of something sharp like grape to milk and honey that are already not working on me is just not right at all. So I can see what a lot of other people were saying about the sickly effect of this combination...

And yet... I wore it on my birthday even when I thought it was kinda iffy. And then I didn't sell it off when I was culling my collection. So there must be something perversely appealing about it.

I tried it again today for the first time in months and I think aging has helped. When first applied, the milk actually smells milky and not in a gross way. However, it also disappears really quickly which leaves the honey and grapes/dates predominant. Still no fig :P. I don't love the way the honey is playing out on me, but the sour/nauseating aspect that it first had seems to be subdued, and I am enjoying the fruitiness. I don't think it smells like pineapple but there is definitely a tropical fruit aspect to it.

Edited by Azhriaz

Someone frimped this to me. I've been interested in trying it though, because of the reviews. Generally I like the ones other people don't, so...

In the bottle, it was sweet and fruity. Certainly a possibility, I thought. It was not meant to be. On my skin it went a sour-sickly flavour and nauseating. I think I ought to blame this one on the fig - every other fig scent I've tried in the past little while has gone nasty. :P

Will try at a later date to see if it's just my skin acting funky.

I had tried the previous incarnation of Milk Moon (which didn't agree with me at all, to my regret) so I was a bit hesitant to try this new formulation. I needn't have worried. This is great!

In the bottle it smells creamy yet a touch tart. Maybe bitter. Must be the pomegranate. I also have to agree with those who detect pineapple, as I'm getting some of that as well.

On me, the fruity smell takes over, but still smells faintly bitter. I can also smell the milk or cream (which doesn't like my body chemistry) under the fruit, but it's faint so the scent isn't ruined for me.

This isn't something I'd wear on a regular basis, but perfect for when I'm feeling sassy on a summer day.

In the vial: Mango that seems fine on the outside but is rotten and black inside.

Wet: Goats' milk on the turn poured on a platter of mango and meat slices. Honey crawls heavily over it. Better but not pleasant on me.

Dry: Better again. But still smells like the inside of a fridge where the food has been left to die.

And?... Not for me. I'm going to have to look out for milk going off on me.

Sweet jesus. This sounded so nice from the description. All I get is rotting milk poured over rotting fruit.

:P

bottle: this was all sweet, creamy, honeyed fruit. it actually smells much better than i was expecting.

wet: sweet, sweet fig. dates & grapes. pomegranates. god, i am in fruit heaven here. this smells so much better on me than i was expecting... i'm swooning from the sweet yumminess of this oil!

dry: this is still just like a big bowl of fresh, chopped fruit. the creaminess has faded but the honeyed sweetness still lingers. i need a few more bottles of this!

I was very excited to get this one in the mail and it didn't disappoint, though it smelled different than I had anticipated.

in the bottle: sweet and fruity, like a fruit salad that someone poured sugar on top of and let stew for a few hours. this worried me.

dry down: the amazing pina colada pineapple-coconut thing happened and took over for about an hour or two. that's all i could smell! frothy umbrella drinkiness!

hours later: a gentle honey remains, not foodie, just subtle and sweet, a little sexy. definitely a keeper!

I got this in a swap, and was really excited from the description...Sadly, this is not one for me:

In the bottle: When I opened it, before bringing it up to my nose, I can really point out the sweet figs and honey and a slight tang of pomegranate and grapes. Very lovely; however, I then brought the bottle closer... A blast of spoiled sourness seeps through in such a strong way that I almost gag ~ I've not had much dairy in a long time as I developed an intolerance to lactose in my teen years, but I know the scent of old milk anywhere!

Oddly, though, this smell does seem to remind me of my childhood ~ in a good way ~ I have no idea as to why. Weird!

On my wrist: I had many reservations about putting this stuff on my skin, but I thought of the many times I was pleasantly surprised when yucky bottled scents turned beautiful aromas on my skin...maybe I should have thought more about the times when the yucky bottled scents turn yuckier on me.

Immediately, everything this scent has to offer hits me all at once in a huge wave, both the yucky sourness and the formerly pleasant fruity sweetness. My stomach and the back of my throat start to develop a sort of bitter, acidic taste.

When it showed no sign of mellowing down, I rubbed my wrist with the other wrist and my arm, which usually does the trick. Thank God, it worked! Much softer after that and the sweetness is more present, but the sourness is still there in a very lingering sort of way way...not very noticeable at first, as the sweetness encourages a deep sniff, but once you do that, the yuckiness strikes again!

Sorry, Milk Moon, its not you, its my body chemistry! May you find love elsewhere! =(

So, we'll add this one to the list of ones I love that seemed to not fair so well with the vast majority.. I think Milk Moon 07 just smells divine.. I love it.. it is bright but also.. calming.. the sweet milk and honey are very comforting and sleepy time like.. while the fruits keep is bright, vibrant and.. motivational.. this scent keeps me going. A lot of.. energizing scents.. irritate me.. in that they only have notes to be uplifting or to be motivating and nothing to kind of.. balance that out.. Milk Moon is just.. a perfect blend. As far as the actual scent.. it is creamy and sweet, from the milk and honey.. I get primarily the fig and dates out of the fruits.. though the pome and grape is there.. adding.. a bit of depth.. a slight tartness that just makes things interesting. This could be the scent of a.. fig ice cream.. lovely, edible smelling without being over the top in your face.. I lurve it!

Bottle: Fruity! I smell grapes and something else..I wonder what it is? Maybe figs, maybe pomegranates

Wet: Weird!!!! Fruits and a lot of them. I think I smell the grapes, figs and dates with beautiful honey behind it. It doesn't seem to have much throw yet but I'll wait till it settles a bit more before I decide.

Dry: Still very sweet and fruity only its mellowed out nicely through the honey

Overall: I give it a solid 3.5 out of 5. Nice for a spring day but I can't smell any milk!!

Bottle: fruity, sort of creamy smell. I think it is the honey that I love -- maybe the grape or fig, I'm not sure. I really wanted this to go well on me.

Wet: Oooookaaaayyyy... sort of... Something is amping to sneeze-worthy levels, but seems to be fading back fast. In fact, the whole thing seems to be fading and going almost powdery on me. The honey and whatever that fruity is smell soooo nice, but I just can't smell it unless my wrist is attached to my nose.

Dry: Gone. Nothing, nada.

However, on the daughter-- she just smells lovely! Like you imagine a fresh, clean child dappled in sunlight SHOULD smell (but never does). I guess this one goes in HER box!

Edited by theal8r

In the bottle:

Fermenting fruit.

Wet on skin:

Pineapple??? Creamy fruity. Wow.

Dry on skin:

Still sweet fruits. Yummy. Deepening. No longer fermented smelling.

I was totally expecting milk and honey, not so much fruit!

i'm still on the fence about milk moon.

normally i don't like fruity scents, but wanted to try this because of the milkyness and the honey...i'm really into honey lately.

i'm not getting the spoiled milk a lot of people are talking about, but a warm milkiness like cooking milk for hot chocolate...creamy and maybe with just a tiny tinge of sour.

the fruit seems to be tempered by the milk so it's not terribly overwhelming and doesn't strike me as WHOA FRUIT!

there's also a nice, floral undertone i'm loving and a touch of sweetness from the honey.

what i'm not completely sure of yet is the overall sweetness...it may be a little too sweet for me in an over-ripe fruit kind of way.

i've only had it on for a couple of hours, i'll let it wear a bit longer and see how it changes, and wear it a couple more times before deciding for sure if i dig this or not.

Five hours later I am LOVING this.

it's now a warm, soft floral with a nice honey coating. the possibly too sweet overlay is gone as is the slightly sour milk scent.

it's just cozy and yummy now.

even the scent in my locket has changed to floral and honey.

Edited by SadTomato

I got this with a swap, it's not something I would have ordered I think.

In the bottle it smells sweet sweet sweet but with enough tartness to make it fresh and interesting. It's a young girl's scent to me, something I'd give to my niece of 13 maybe.

On my skin it sticks to that fruity sweetness for a while, and I also thought about pineapple, but after a couple of minutes the party is over and it turns sickly.

I SO wanted to love this. Both the concept and the notes (minus the white grape) were things that I really love. Sadly, Milk Moon smells like rancid baby's breath on me--soured breast milk and rotting fruit. Yikes. In the bottle there is something in it that I find rather appealing--I think the honey and the fig--but once on my skin those notes are so overwhelmed by the sour-milk and the sharp fruit (which I believe to be the grape) that I had to go wash it off (mind, it did not want to wash off...Naturally, because I hated it, it lasted for a VERY long time...wheras my lovely Men Ringing Bells and Spell of Amorous Love last about five seconds). Sigh.

IN THE IMP: This is... interesting. Reminds me of pina colada. I keep thinking there's pineapple and coconut even though I know there isn't. Sweet creamy milk, but the addition of fruit makes it smell a bit "off". I can pick out the white grape and what I'm guessing are the fig and date notes.

WET: Same as in the imp. It doesn't have much throw, but when I lean in to smell it, it's very strong.

DRY: There's less of the overwhelming creaminess. Same on drydown. Sweet, pina colada-ish. Not sure if I want to keep this.

I always jump on any BPAL blend that has milk and honey notes in it. Milk Moon is a gorgeously sweet and ripe scent that is indeed reminiscent of a pina colada. The fruit in this seems to be extremely ripe, at the moment in its life where it is about to turn from delicious ripeness to going rotten, and it gives Milk Moon a really amazing depth. I can actually see rich ripe dates and figs dripping with honey in my mind and the pomegranante and white grape give this the sharp note that prevents this blend from becoming cloying. This one is not for the faint of heart as it is very sweet and very strong. I applied several hours ago and it shows no signs of fading away.

Instead of "piña colada", I suggest that Milk Moon smells like a "pineapple juilius" because there's really no coconut in here. BPAL's milk note always smells a bit odd to me. Sort of like a mixture of condensed milk and rubber, powdered milk... or eggs. Sounds strange, but I think it works in this blend.

Whatever is in the "lunar oils" gives Milk Moon a very ethereal softness. It's definitely a sweet fruity fragrance, but not overwhelming. It's actually sort of light.

When I tried this on at first (a few months ago) the milk note was amped to the max, which I found odd but okay. It didn't turn sour like lots of other reviewers mentioned. Then the other day, after trying out Strangler Fig and loving it I put Milk Moon on again. This time the fig and dates were much more prominent. I'm glad I held on to my bottle, because I definitely forsee this being one of my top scents this Spring.