Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Brianne

Milk Moon 2007

A fertile scent, generous, life-affirming, and swelling with a sense of triumph, warmth, and abundance: sweet milk, golden honey, fig fruit, pomegranate, dates, and white grape.

Straight out of the bottle, this is sweet milk (I'm a little afraid, some people seem to think it turns sour after awhile), but as soon as it hits my skin I start to get the fruity side of things.

Is that pineapple in there? Wait...no...pomegranate and fig. But I have to think about it to separate the two.

After a little while Milk Moon is dries down into something more subtle and far less juicy, but its still rather refreshing. I'm not sure if this is true scent-love, but I'm definitely interested in how this works on me in warmer weather. Hmm.

It's making me want to lick my wrist.

It smelled kind of funky in the bottle, but once I put it on...yum! I sat there sniffing going "what is this...hmmm...oh! Pineapple and coconut!". Of course, neither is actually in there, so I'm guessing it's all the different notes blending together to smell like this.

It's a very tropical, juicy, fruity scent and I like it a lot. Great for summer (I will probably wear this to the wedding I have to go to in June)!

Initial thoughts: Milk, honey, fig, pomegranate and dates? Christ, I want to EAT it, not WEAR IT.

In the imp: Sweet grape juice. Don't really get the other notes, actually, but it's very yummy as it is.

On the wrist, wet: Champagne, honey and a hint of watery sweet fruit. Nice - really nice - but where's the milk?

Fifteen minutes later: Okay, there's a bit of creamyness, and the tang of the grapes has settled a little. I can't pick out individual notes so well, it's just a nice blend - a bit like a really interesting milk and champagne cocktail. This is very sweet and tasty, actually - a comfort scent without the dark, sleepy feel I usually associate with comfort scents. This one is warm and light.

Verdict: Keeper, possibly for stuffed bunny scenting as well as wearing, and, since my imp decided to be an hero and I only have about a quarter of the decant left, probably a bottle.

Tl;Dr: Sweet, tasty honeyed cream and champagne, with a hint of fruit. Comfort scent.

Milk Moon '05 is serious love for me, but I hadn't taken the opportunity to try Milk Moon 07 until now.

As I sniff the bottle, I keep waiting for that full-bore, slightly minty butter cream smell of the old moon to come up, but it doesn't. There's definitely creaminess there, and I think I'm getting the hint of mint, but it's thinner smelling somehow. The second sniff I take brings me a very tropical fruity scent.

When I put it on my skin, the first thing to waft up to me is pineapple. Not acidic fresh pineapple, but the juice that canned pineapple is packed in, with a slight muskiness. Where's my creamy goodness? Oh, wait, there it is, behind the pineapple. I don't know if it's the tropical fruity feel I'm getting from this, but the creaminess smells like coconut milk to me, not dairy milk. It's creamy, but not buttery. Pina Colada with ice blended in, and a touch of effervesence.

As this dries, it becomes more like the 2005 version, but it's still more watery, almost aquatic, and underpinned by a very juicy fruit note, almost like the fruit I get from the dry down of Swank. I think it's the pomegranate and the white grape. Actually this is making me think of Shattered somehow, but with coconut. I'm digging it. I can't tease out the fig or date notes.

In the end stages, it's sweet, musky, slightly powdery coconut. It's close to my skin, and a lot like what I wanted O to be. The honey in O turned to ass and diaper powder on me, but this blend keeps it pretty. It's like sweet, soft, sexy skin.

This isn't the rich condensed milk comfort I get from 05, but I still like it. It's fresher, and more fun-it sparkles. It will be perfect for my summer needs. I think I'll search out another bottle of it.

EDIT: I just realized that I reminds me of tropical fruit Life Savers candy. You know, the pale yellow pineapple one, and the white coconut one mixed!

Edited by TooMuchTemptation

I'm on the fence a little about this one. I get the milky scent right away upon sniffing the bottle...it is almost boozy because of all the fruitiness swirling around inside with the milk. On my skin it is very interesting. I don't really smell sour milk though. It smells like a mix of figs and rich sweet milk. It's very unique and hard to describe. I can sort of see how people might think it is a mix of pineapple and coconut. I'll keep this one around for further testing.

The milk note should have made me wary, but I really wanted to try everything with pomegranate in it, so I gave this one a shot. There was little difference between in the bottle and on my skin; it smelled of curdled dairy and rotting fruit either way.

The description sounds delicious and I'm jealous of people with whose chemistry milkiness agrees -- I want badly to be able to do creamy blends, but it just doesn't work out for me very often. :P

I had such strange preconcenptions of what this would be like...Milk?...and the reviews all saying sour milk??? I just had to try it. Plus I love fruity scents so this was something I wasn't gonna let slip by. I've had my imp for ages but am only reviewing it now hehe.

Wet..yes..there is a very bizzare sour milk/cream note to this. It almost smells like a very faint coconut milk or coconut cream, paired together with sharp grape and some other fruit. I can get the fizz of the pomegranate from this in the wet stage. It's..comforting..but takes a bit of getting used to. I do definately like it, it's unusual. And unusual is fine by me!

Once the burst of fruit has faded, this comes together so nicely...the milk/cream not gets softer & sweeter. And now I'm even more convinced this is coconut milk I'm dealing with. But it's very soft and gentle coconut. The fruit side blends more with the creaminess...the tang of the grape and pomegranate have gone and I think what I'm gettng now is more the date and fig..it's still fruit but it's not tart like the wet stage.

This is really cool, and something a bit different!

I really really like this. I love creamy, and this definitely is without any "sour" note to me. I actually get a creamy citrus, not the other fruits, maybe it's the pomegranate? This is definitely a spring or summery scent. A win!!!

I wanted to love this! Milk, honey, fig? yum!

But as I've been finding, my skin tends to curdle milk (but not cream which is v. weird to me but alas)

It smells kinda funky in the bottle, and then I get it on my skin and I amp sour milk. It smells off.

I managed to get an imp and a bottle, and gave the imp away to a dr. that I work with as she loved it, the bottle is in swaps. :P

First there is a pineapple blast, and after ten minutes the warm milk develops deliciously on the skin, mixing with the fruits notes. It stays true from the start to the end and it`s the best milk cup I`ve ever had near to a fruits basket. Amazing. Throw is minimal on me and stay is average. I completely love it, but it`s crucial to be a milk gourmand to appreciate this work of art.

This smells like a fruity tropical drink, like a pina colada minus the coconut. It's odd. I love this one, though not everyday. I do not find that it smells at all like sour milk. Rather it's a creamy milky blend with the tartness of the pomegranate, grapes, and fig and the rich sweetness of the honey. It lasts for hours. It will be perfect in warm weather since it's so fruity and tropical-esque.

Imp: Sharp pomegranate with fig and an underlying grainy/soapy smell. Like powdered sunlight detergent.

Wet: The pomegranate does its thing and sort of dominates the scent. The milk acquires this strange powdery edge. I get a sort of tropical vibe to this.

Dry: This is really pretty. It's a soft, soothing fruit scent touched with a sweet honeyed milk approximation. I say milk approximation because the scent of real milk kind of grosses me out but this is sweet and creamy and gentle. Seems very soothingly and motherly.

Throw: Minimal.

Overall: Warm and relazing. I feel like I'm wearing a hug and it's been the sort of day where I need that scent. Definitely a loungy/sleeping scent.

at first sniff, it smells a lot like pomegranite. i dont really smell any sort of honey, fig, or milk/anything else in this one. very fruity. i even detect some pineapple or something...reminds me of a pina colada.

applied, POMEGRANITE. it drowns out the other smells

wet - just...

geez i cant even review it its just fruity. it smells like a pina colada top shelf, yanno? i like it, sorta. it'll sit in my bpal stash box for a longgggg time. its already been there for like a year and a half, ill let it age some more.

This is, I think, some of the coolest label art I've seen so far. I don't know why I love it so much, I just do. HornedGuy! is awesome.

Bottle: Honey, fig, and nose-wrinkling, overly-sweet, sharp and unpleasant pomegranate and white grape. I like pomegranate and grape is okay, but something about the combination is just not sitting well with me. Definitely get the sour milk comparisons, but it's sharper and greener-- not rotten, just sort of wrong. Damn! I really thought I'd love this. Oh well, there's time for it to morph.

Wet: Beautiful and lovely milk, fig, date and honey notes, but still with an undercurrent of that sharp-sweet-green smell that I really don't like. Smells like a pina colada with a side-order of nail polish remover. Blast! It's giving me a headache, too, far too strong and sharp.

Dry: Now it's a pretty, flirty pina colada with cream. Nice, but not worth suffering through the wet stage for-- my poor nose just can't take it. This would be great on someone else, though! Swaps.

Decant: Sour milk, but if the other reviews are any indication that's nothing to worry about

Wet: :) Milk, honey and fig. Something green too. Not getting any pineapple

Drydown: Soft and creamy! Very smooth with lots of complimentary fruit. Not sour at all.

Overall: It's nice and creamy. Worth hanging on to to see if it gets any use

In the bottle: Pale yellow oil.Tropical, fruity, and sweet-tart. I do get the pina colada thing, totally. The milk has a slightly sour edge. Lots of fig and pomegranate.

Wet: Similar, a bit more creamy/rich. The date is more apparent, and the honey and white grape add more sweetness. Same really rich fig note from The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Also reminds me of a sweeter, headier, more tropical Horn of Amalthea

Dry: More aromatic/floral, in a really delicious way. Also more exotically tart, pomegranate and yes, I do get pineapple, and maybe even passionfruit. The milkiness is like coconut milk.

Later: This reminds me of Shango, too, though it's much lighter and creamier. And Agape, but richer and tarer. Increasingly tart, yes, it's gotta be passionfruit, except it's amping here unlike in Agape where it dies.

Summary: Drydown is mostly super tart, exotic passionfruit, creamy fig, sticky sweet white grape and coconut milk, and I think the florals are plumeria and citrusy-fragrant lemon blossom. Insane throw.

Gorgeous!

Milk Moon 2007

I'm glad that others mentioned pineapple. My first impression was pineapple and cream or maybe coconut. Sadly, then it went sour--like, wash it off sour--which made me sad. I thought maybe it was past its prime, or perhaps that I remembered it wrong. When I sniffed again, though, it had morphed into the scent I remembered--sweetened condensed milk with maybe a tiny hint of fruit.

"Oh my I LOVEEEE THIS!!!! My skin blends milk wonderfully (and usually honey, depending on what it's mixed with).

In the imp: DELICIOUS!!!! Although, not in an edible way.... and I have no clue where the milk is, it blends so seamlessly... I get all honey and tasty pom/fig (which i first mistook as pineapple) and a touch of grape.

On the skin: Mmmm gooood... I am SOO happy this doesn't share that suffocating 'food scent' that Eat me, drink me, o, eden, and a ton of other BPAL scents have on me. It's all warm honey now... with a hint of pineapple-ish summery goodness.

Later: This is PERFECT for summer!!!  :heart: It's soft honey with fresh grapes... and deliciousness!

Overall: reasonable staying power (a dab on each side of the neck lasts about 5 hours) This is like Katrina Van Tassle for the summer!!!!"

2019 EDIT FOR DECADE-LONG-AGEING UPDATE: 

Good lord, it has now been ten years... heavens... making this blend 12 years old. Lordy, lordy. I can't believe I reviewed this a decade ago, and I'm back again now lol. Who even was I then?!

This is still a perfect summer scent, and despite the predominant elements of fruits and milk... which sometimes tend not to age as well as other scent components. It's aged remarkably, with very little morphing. Little... but not none. What was vaguely pineapple like... has gone full on 100% pineapple. But it's still not cloying (on me!). I know for some reason this particular blend seemed not to work with many people's body chemistry (I'm guessing grapes and milk, or pomegranate and milk--- sour fruit and milk in general, is not a popular scent), so I have no idea how it suits me so well--and for so long, both in terms of my body and the oil, but it has.

The distinct notes are now nearly impossible to ascertain however, except for the bright, crystal pop of pineapple, with maybe a vague creaminess, like toasted meringue. It almost gives off a candy-like/candied feeling, and might be just a tad lighter, and fade a bit faster, than it used to. Surprisingly, the honey isn't drowning anything out or going to powder, which it often does for me, so it's just light enough. On the drydown however, the one, particular, strongest note that emerges is actually the somewhat-effervescent grape (the same grape that was in Agape, which turned against me after some time). And I will always, and forever, immediately be transported to the memory of the summer I got this blend, exploring the old streets of my old city in the shimmering heat of the dying day. 

Edited by Shadowdawn

This is such an odd scent. On my skin it's smells like a pineapple gone bad. But when I'm not sticking my nose into it, I get whiffs of some sort of creamy and slightly coconutty thing and it smells delicious. But when I get up close and personal again the pineapple gone bad is still there. I have absolutely no clue how I feel about this one. Odd, very odd....

In the bottle - Coconut milk, fig, honey and some 'grante in there. Very fruit and creamy and light. I really like this one!

Wet - Calming right down on me, less coconut.

Drying - The milk fades away on me and the sweet becomes more understated, making this a very creamy fig-honey scent. Which I love. There's some serious 'granate in here, too, although the grapes are very light. This is just lovely. So, so nice.

Dry (2 hours) - Fig stays in the front, with a nice light honey plays in the back. It's very figgy, which I love.

Overall - This is probably my favorite of the moons ever. It's so delightfully light and fruity, with just a hint of sweet and creaminess. So very much love!

Hi there, Nonae Caprotina (sp?) smell-alike! I'm starting to be resigned to the fact that my skin does not care for the milk note except in VERY rare cases like Miller vs. Cali and I can't remember if that was milk or cream... Maybe my skin only likes cream and not milk as a fellow reviewer upthread mentioned. Anyway, this is a strong milk blend with a dab of fig and fruit. Although....it's starting to smooth out into less of a sour milk and more of a sweet coconut milk. Ok, that could work! I just don't know about this one and I have a feeling that my super-picky scent double-checker (DH) will tell me I'm on crack about this scent and that it isn't meant to be :(

Sigh. Another one I wanted to love so bad because I'm a big fan of creamy scents, and this sounded up that alley. Most dairy notes come out just fine on me, but I guess the way it blended with something just didn't agree with my chemistry at all. Once it hits my skin and dries down it ends up smelling like, no joke, rancid milk and pineapple, exactly what Amoraexcena was getting, it seems. Oh well, no one's perfect, even the girl whose skin can do chocolate.

Edited by Invidiana