Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Monster Bait: biggerCritters

A deceptively sweet scent; just like the Critters themselves, the perfume is fluffy, poofy, soft, snuggly, and googly! Five vanillas with Moroccan jasmine, white gardenia, and pink grapefruit.

This is a soft and snuggly scent! The jasmine overpowers a little at first, but once the jasmine calms down it's a well-blended mishmash of soft sweetness, with the tang of the grapefruit giving it just a tiny zing and preventing it being too cloying. Love.

very soft,summer and spring worthy, I am hoarding my last few drops of the golden elixir!! It plays well with my skin chemistry, and I dont sense any jasmine whatsoever!! But clean and snuggly scent!

First sniff: Pink and fluffy!

Wearing: The pink fluffiness immediately solidifies into a very solid base of warm vanilla tickled by white floral sweetness.

I have gone back and forth twice now on this bottle on if I should keep it or move it along :unsure:. I have a hard time with the initial blast of gardenia. It is one of my death notes that I try to avoid at all costs. I noticed though that if I wait about 15 minutes the most beautiful combination of the vanillas and grapefruit takes over. It is one of the most georgeous vanilla combinations I have smelled. I am not sure what five vanilla notes are used, but they make a divine blend. I love this bottle for the dry down phase which does last a long time on my skin. This bottle keeps jumping out of my sales box and back to its home in my bedroom. Maybe the lab can put out a bottle called Monsterbait smaller Critters with just the vanillas and grapefruit used as the notes :lol:. Now that would be perfection!

Edited by damonkitty

I had my doubts about this blend during the first 20 minutes or so. When I first put it on, it smelled creamy and almost fruity. I assume that fruitiness was the grapefruit, a note that never lasts on my skin and was never seen again in this blend after the first few minutes.

What made me question whether this would work was the HOLY FLORALS! aspect of it during the initial drydown period. I seem to be not alone in this, but I think that gardenia often does not work for me. However, in this blend, it seems to anchor the vanillas for me, preventing my skin from sucking them up and making them disappear. After the drydown, I get a beautiful and multidimensional vanilla melody with a musky/floral bassline. Very nice, and I think this bottle is a keeper.

I have the bottle with the normal bpal label (I think, I didn't see any critters on it, anyway!). I was interested in it, because people were saying it was like Underpants, but without the woodsy scent to it (which makes Underpants a bit unwearable for me most of the time).

They were right - I LOVE THIS. Only a touch floral on me, with lots of vanilla, and a bit of grapefruit. I feel like there's something else in there, too, but I can't figure it out. It goes through a bit of a plasticy stage as it dries, but then it's just heavenly. Vanilla and creamy and a touch fruity. SO fantastic! It stays very close to my skin after a few hours, but never goes away entirely.

in the bottle-- vanilla-- way strong vanilla. All competing with eachother in a negative way. Horribly sharp and bitter like extract. It practically burned my nose.

Though despite my initial reaction I decided to try anyway--

The vanilla on my skin stays strong and turns rancid with so many different competing types. I was hoping for a sugary bakery vanilla type from the 'fluffy' description with the pretty florals and sparkling grapefruit-- but nope. :(

sigh. another one off to swaps/sales.

Wet: 5 vanillas is right! Jasmine is quickly doing it's stinky thing and is swamping the more delicate grapefruit. And of course, the jasmine is going right to my head as usual. Off it goes.

(A generous swapper sent this to me a long time ago, and I'm ashamed to say it's taken me this long to try it, because I was too afraid I'd love it and never be able to get more.)

Decant: Surprisingly floral. Really not getting much vanilla here. I was so surprised that I had to come and check the description. :lol:

On: Yep, there's gardenia. It definitely dominates the scent for the first hour, making BiggerCritters a soft and sweet white floral. Not much depth to it, but it's pretty. Occasionally one of the notes gets upset and fights back, threatening to go heavy floral or vanilla-plastic, but mostly it's behaving.

Later: Eventually the gardenia and the vanillas give up and decide to be friends, becoming something very like honeysuckle. Throw is low, as it almost always is on my skin. I never detect the grapefruit, but it's possible that's faded with age.

Overall: This is really really pretty, but the overall effect on my skin is something I feel like I could duplicate with something much less HTF. I think I can probably find it a more loving home. :)

Round two from my eBay imps of all the Monster Baits!

Bottle: Very citrusy. I don't like citrus scents, at least, I use to not...strongly...but the notes in the descriptions and reviews stated otherwise, so I had to try.

On skin: Soapy (for a mere second) kind of the same spicy gingery scent as in Underpants (a certain vanilla?)...NOW its getting sort of flowery. Still a tad citrusy.

Drydown: I didn't know exactly what jasmine was...most reviewers tend to hate it...but I think if this is what it is...is a VERY fresh, white, sweet floral! I like it!!! I guess I'm pleasantly surprised because I expected not to. The citrusy scent has faded into specificity...warm pink grapefruit...lovely! AND SILVERY PINK GARDENIA! I love the smell of gardenia...there was a blend from Bathed and Infused a long time ago (when they were still a company) called The Pinup...it was silvery musk and gardenia...this has that!

If I can find a big bottle.............................................................................................................MINE.

Such a perfectly springy and pretty blend.

5/5

Ok, so I can't do jasmine. Or grapefruit. Gardenia is seriously iffy. But I am obsessed with the Monster Baits, and also with vanilla. so I snagged a bottle of this anyway, and I am going to give it a go.

Wet: OMGJASMINESMELLSLIKEPEEANDWETCARDBOARDWHATWASITHINKING!!! But seriously, why did I think this would be ok? WOW. Just to add insult to injury, one of the vanillas is turning plastic.

Dry: biggerCritter has settled down to a sweet, slightly plastic vanilla jasmine scent. As far as jasmine goes, it's one of the nicest I've smelled, and that's saying a lot on my skin. But it still just doesn't work on me. Oh little bottle. It's not your fault. This one's all on me. I will find you a home where you are loved and appreciated.

Vanilla-citrus cookies covered in Jasmine and gardenia flowers.. it's lovely! I'm so thankful to Little Bird for sending me an Imp, this is a beautiful scent!

I received an official imp of this in my Trading Post Weenie order! :joy:

In the imp: I’m getting the pink grapefruit, vanilla, bright gardenia, and then the jasmine.

Wet: The pink grapefruit and vanilla are the first notes that appear, followed by the gardenia, and then the jasmine. The pink grapefruit and gardenia make this a bright scent, and the floral notes are keeping the grapefruit and vanilla from being too much like a citrus creamsicle. As it begins to dry, it starts to make me think of Trix plus some florals for some reason.

Dry: The grapefruit note ends up calming down, and after a while, it ends up being the most wonderful vanilla scent accompanied by gardenia and jasmine, with just a hint of grapefruit in the background. Jasmine can be iffy on me, but the variety in here hasn’t been problematic for me, and I honestly get more gardenia than jasmine.

Verdict: Puddin, how did you know this was on my wishlist!? :D I’m so happy that I got to try this one, and I will definitely be hanging on to my imp. And if it ever pops up on the Trading Post Etsy again, I’ll have to grab a bottle. This is a really lovely scent.

At first the floral was over-whelming for me, but I've never liked Jasmine. As I let it settle down the Gardenia becomes more prominent which is so delicious. It's crazy how fast a scent can change from let me go wash this off to wow I really love this. The vanilla's only subtly add to the creaminess of the Gardenia. A very nice blend!

It has the teeny-tiniest plastic on me, like Mouse Circus.

Edited by Nilbog

This was the first Monster Bait I've had the opportunity to try.  When I applied my decant of biggerCritters without checking notes, my first thought was creamsicle.  Orange and vanilla ice cream.  Then I realized there was a white floral floating over my creamsicle.  A creamy white floral, something really familiar that I was blanking on, so I checked the notes.  Duh.  Jasmine.  I avoid jasmine so rigorously that i had forgotten what it smells like when it works. If I had smelled cat pee, I would have known immediately it was jasmine.  And it's mixed with gardenia, the rare white floral that I enjoy.  And the whole thing is totally delightful.  The citrus mellows out, and it's a gorgeous, long-wearing fluffy vanilla scent.  The jasmine hangs in there but it's sweet and creamy like the gardenia, and it's lovely. 

This is a review of the plain label version. I don't know if that makes any difference in the scent, but just in case!

Grapefruit is never a note that does too well on me (like most citrus) but I love jasmine, gardenia, vanilla, and all things fluffy. All of the Monsterbaits I've tried so far have been hits. So when I saw a bottle of this in a destash, I had to grab it!!

It goes on very, very jasmine with gardenia wafting through the background. I know there are a lot of jasmine haters around, so be warned. This is very jasmine heavy. But! It is the fluffiest, most vanilla, poofy cloud like jasmine I've ever tried. And I've tried quite a lot of jasmines. This doesn't have the sharpness on me that many jasmines can have and it isn't indolic at all. It reminds me of a big fluffy cloud floating through the sky, only that cloud is floating above a field of jasmine with some gardenia for good measure, wafting up in the air and permeating the cloud so much that it begins to scent it. Your milage may vary, but to me, that's exactly how I want to smell.

The grapefruit is there, but barely. Maybe it adds a little tang to it. It isn't a main focus and doesn't last into the dry down. Maybe it was stronger when the bottle was first released, but with age, this is all about the fluffy vanilla jasmine cloud.

Another winner from the Monsterbaits for me.