Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Monster Bait: biggerCritters

A deceptively sweet scent; just like the Critters themselves, the perfume is fluffy, poofy, soft, snuggly, and googly! Five vanillas with Moroccan jasmine, white gardenia, and pink grapefruit.

Ahhh, BiggerCritter.

Wet, this is an almost alarming combination of "oh so super sweet" and "eep!Floral!" with just a hint of "OMG grapefruit". However, when it dries on my skin, it turns to a warm, sweet lightly grapefruit spritzed angel food cake with a small vase of jasmine and other white flowers nearby.

This was the scent that convinced me to reconsider what I think of as "too foody". Love this.

Ummm......

I don't know what to say about this fragrance.

It is certainly another unique, one-of-a-kind BPAL blend.

Wet, it starts out smelling like a creamsicle (orange and vanilla) although it's grapefruit, I know.

That aura quickly disappears and then suddenly it smells like jasmine-bomb and angel food cake.

It's so weird! I think I like it, but wow! It's sooooo weird!!! My bwain is scwambled.

In the bottle:

Dark vanilla'd jasmine. Maybe a touch of gardenia. Almost smells like sandalwood to me but none in there?

Wet on skin:

More gardenia is coming out. Mmm Gardenia is one of my favorite flowers to wear as a corsage. Can't ever seem to grow them, though -- they bud but then don't bloom. :P

Dry on skin:

Sweet sweet vanilla gardenia. On one hand, YUM! And on the other, Drat! I'm not a big floral girl, perfume wise. I like my flowers fresh to sniff in a bowl or a vase. Might be a teeny tiny hint of grapefruit coming out now. Jasmine is blending more with the gardenia.

In the bottle: Grapefruit and slightly burnt vanilla.

On: A weird mix of sunblock and scented plastic (like a Strawberry Shortcake doll). The florals came out upon drydown, but every now and then I still got a whiff of the grapefruit. After a few hours all fades away except the vanilla, but it still smells very fake.

Verdict: This is indeed a very fluffy, poofy, twirly scent, but that's apparently not right for me. :P

I have come to the conclusion that vanilla (or at least the moroccan vanilla) smells like plastic to MY nose when it is on my skin. For some reason to other poople it smells deliciously spicey on my skin. With that said:

In the bottle BiggerCritters smells sweet, slightly like candied fruit, and has notes of vanilla swirling around. This is a very creamy and nice scent.

Once I put it on, to my nose it smells rather plastic-ie. I was a bit disappointed, but didn't have time to scrub and try something else this morning. When my fiance picked me up about three minutes after application, I wasn't too happy since I smelled like spicy plastic. Appearntly to him it smelled like really good chai tea. Same with the rest of my coworkers!

As the day has worn on, BiggerCritters has smoothed out to a sweet vanilla spice smell. I rather like it once I can get through the plastic-to-me scented phase in the beginning. :P

in the bottle: lemony bundt cake. nomnomnom :D

wet on skin: it's shifted to angel food cake :P with a light lemon frosting. equally delicious, but slightly different from before. lighter, perhaps.

dry down: a shift! the florals have come forward, but not in a cloying way. i agree with the assertion that it's like eating a piece of cake with a vase of flowers nearby- though the separate notes never blend together, they share the space side by side in an amiable sort of way.

in all: an unusual food/floral combo. i don't know that it will be an every day affair for me, but i like having it around for warm summer days.

:D

In the bottle, this has both the deep foody scent and the florals that usually spell doom for me. When I first put this on it was really floral with just a hint of the grapefruit and no vanilla that I could smell. I was pretty skeptical that it would turn into anything better. Once it dried, though, the vanilla came out and everything was just a beautiful candy-dessert medley. It's very light and sweet. It smells kind of like how Diary of a Lovestruck Teenage Cannibal smells in the bottle, for some reason. On me it has crazy throw – I just used a little bit but I wouldn't be surprised if people five states over could smell me.

After 12 hours most of the more exciting scents had left and all that remained was a musky smell that reminded me of Bien Loin d'ici.

I've been looking for a more "upbeat" vanilla than Dorian to wear during the summer, and this is almost exactly the kind of thing I had in mind.

Edited by distracts

In the bottle – Jasmine and grapefruit

Wet on me – A cool, calm citrus, although I would have said more orange than grapefuit

Dry on me – The vanillas come through, warm and inviting with a candied edge of grapefruit and an occasional floral waft to stop it becoming too sickly

Overall – I originally avoided this because I’m not a fan of jasmine or gardenia, but the reviews persuaded me to give it a try and I’m glad I did. Whilst not a top ten favourite this is certainly one that I will wear again and again

In the bottle it smells of sugar cookies with an odd side of grapefruit.

On my skin the cookie smell is lessened but it is still there in the background. The vanillas begin to be rounded out with the jasmine giving them a still sweet but less foodie quality.

In the dry down the sharpness of the grapefruit fades leaving mainly a gorgeous heady vanilla confection with floral undertones.

As it should be there is something a little off kilter about this blend. It has a cheerful almost manic personality. A real day brightener.

Edited to add...hello jasmine! An hour later...pow there it is.

Edited by isisonearth

This is a review of a bottle with the GC style label.

I swapped for this hoping to get creamy vanilla underlaid by florals.

Wet in the bottle, I smell the grapefruit, then immediately afterward the vanillas. I have hope for this blend.

Wet on my skin, grapefruit, and then gardenia. Gardienia for some reason often presents to my nose as an oily bittersweet floral smell. Next comes the Jasmine, sweet and strong, and almost a little funky. I'm not happy. I was hoping that I could skate on the jasmine in this blend, but as of now, no dice.

As this dries, the grapefruit fades back, but the Gardenia and Jasmine are still kicking out the jams. I can smell the creamy vanilla in the background, but the florals are louder than anything in this blend on me. And the Jasmine gets funkier and funkier. The grapefruit is giving this a bit of a sour turn for me.

Later, the florals have fallen off and softened, and the soft lovely vanillas underpin this. I'm not fond of this blend though. I like my vanilla with a hint of floral, not vice versa. Jasmine tends to come to the fore on me, so I'm not surprised that this didn't work out well.

this is a gift from my witch deazinn; my second bottle=my firs was also a gift,and if I ever read the notes probably wouldnt have tried it.am so glad I never read the notes-this is warm and cool at the same time-funnily enough it reminds of a 'creamsicle' but in a good non foody way-what a creamsicle would be if it was perfume-which now that I read the notes makes sense-it feels very wearable to me; not one of those scents where Im concerned about wearing too much..

I wouldnt have pegged this as floral, but a soft, silky vanilla with a slight hint of citrus, very clean AND snuggly yet not foody with a slight hint of creaminess that makes me go awwwwwww

Fruity vanilla, with a hint of jasmine. It smells like light, fluffy lemon squares at a garden party...the jasmine is very light and barely noticeable. This is nicer on my skin than in the bottle, but it's not something I'd wear often.

This is one that I've had sitting around for a few months, and finally decided that it's not for me ~ so what better time to give my review?

I was really excited about trying biggerCritter *I swapped for it with Sugar Cookie, another one that, sadly, rejected me*. Even though it was floral-y blend, jasmine and gardenia tend to be pretty mild on me compared to other flowery scents, and vanilla tends to sweeten up any sharp notes. I was right about the flowers and vanilla ~ it was the grapefruit that got me!

In the bottle: A little bit like key lime pie or lemon meringue *I think I'm hungry*, but a little more vanilla-y. I can only smell a bit of gardenia, only if I take in a deep whiff and try picking up on it. No jasmine.

On my skin: Very sugary, flowery grapefruit overpowers everything. Its not a bright, freshly picked and sliced grapefruit ~ it's more like overly sweetened grapefruit perserves or artificial grapefruit flavour, too sweet and tangy in the wrong ways.

Drydown, about 10 minutes after: Overly sweet grapefruit has died down, but is still the strongest note. When taking in a deep whiff, I can pick out every note, even jasmine, but the jasmine is very light and easily overpowered by the grapefruit and almost comletely hidden behind the nice vanilla.

As I'm needing some quick cash-ola, I'm tossing this one to the Feebay pile. Don't worry, biggerCritter seems actually happy to be leaving me ~ thinks I ignore him too much. ;P

This is the blend that made me realize I can do jasmine (or I just got lucky with this one?) It's all yummy vanilla/sweet floral and I don't even mind. This one is my exception to the no-florals rule, but I think I have to credit the vanillas for that a little too. I DO get grapefruit and it works wonderfully (does not turn bitter. At all.) After an hour or so it's mostly just creamy, creamy, creamy vanilla and jasmine.

Lovesit!

In the vial: Citrus flavored cream. Quite yummy!

Wet: Citrus and...burnt plastic. :(

Dry: Burnt plastic.

Overall: I had high hopes for this! Bummer. Not for me.

In the bottle: Vanilla cream with a bit of grapefruit.

On the Wrist: Yummy vanilla with gardenia and tiny splash of jasmine. As time passes by the vanilla disappears leaving the gardenia and jasmine.

Verdict: I just don't dig gardenia and jasmine. I was hoping it would be more vanilla and grapefruit. Oh well.

I get a nutty smell off this in the bottle and on me. Almost to a buttery popcorn smell. I don't like it.

I think it is a combo between the Vanilla and the Jasmine that makes that particular smell. I really really want to like this sniff, it has a lot of things I am a fan of!

A few mins later that nutty/buttery popcorn flavor has diminished and it is calming into something nicer.

I'm testing this one today, and I'm thinking I should've waited until tomorrow -- it strikes me as a perfect Easter scent.

At first, it was vanilla-y and almost a little cereal-y, like a box of breakfast cereal. Then, it went sweet but a little soapy -- I'm starting to wonder if there's a certain flower, maybe gardenia, that always registers "dishsoap" in my nose.

Ultimately, it settled to something sweet with a bit of orange-ness to it. It strikes me as fluffy and sweet, like Funfetti cake and Peeps.

Edited by Ravenclaw79

In the bottle: Vanilla citrus cake! This reminds me of my initial reaction to "Vampire Tears."

Wet: Not nearly as much vanilla as I expected. I get a gentle blend of gardenia-jasmine with a sweet vanilla backup. There's a touch of the aromatic bitter oil of grapefruit skin. I might be able to wear this one after all!

Twenty minutes: Sweet citrus-floral-vanilla, all in one package. It really smells quite pretty, girlish, cheerful, and not at all piercing, pungent, or headachy. I expect the vanilla is probably going to take over eventually and, at the very least, overwhelm the citrus note. But right now everything is interestingly balanced. If only it could stay that way!

One hour: Yup, it's pretty much mostly vanilla now. There's still a touch of the grapefruit (a note I always love), and the sweetness of the white flowers in the background, but this is a solidly vanilla scent. However, it's one I can actually wear. It's not really me, but it works on me.

Two hours: The citrus is mostly gone now, and there's just enough white flower in this to make it not completely a vanilla scent. But it's really much more vanilla than I'm comfortable wearing, even though it works nicely with my chemistry. I was sort of hoping for more of the florals.

Three and a half hours: There's a bit of gardenia left, but this is pretty much all vanilla. It has stayed pretty, cooperates with my skin chemistry, and I like it, but I've never been fond of vanilla-centric perfumes.

I'll try to trade this bottle.

Monster Bait: biggerCritters

I felt a sense of dread when I put this on and smelled sharp lily. I don't know where that impression came from because a second sniff gave me vanilla and gardenia. No grapefruit, which is probably for the best. As it dries, it gets more and more vanilla-y and more and more delicious.

Sniffed: This smells slightly rotten, I think it's that 'evil grapefruit' note (that I got in the Empyreal Mist prototype & R'lyeh). The jasmine smells like the sharp soapy type, and the gardenia like the bully headache type. At least the vanillas seem mild and creamy?

Wet: REALLY strong gardenia, with acrid jasmine just behind, and the grapefruit still smelling rotten. The vanillas are a little stronger, and quite lovely - foody, but not too cloying, and very creamy. They cannot stand up to these florals, though - I'm not sure anything could.

Dry: The grapefruit fades, as nearly all citrus does on my skin, while the florals continue to amp, the jasmine now on par with the gardenia, with almost a green note to it. I can feel a headache coming on, so to the sink I go. A shame considering the lovely vanillas. Insane throw.

:ack:

In the bottle: Grapefruit and the florals; not sure where the vanillas are.

Wet: The florals and the grapefruit (a sparkly note) are the top notes. There's vanilla way down deep, though. Some sweetness from the vanillas is starting to loft its way up.

The dry-down: I'm picking out the white gardenia now; this was one of my mother's favourite scents. :) The five vanillas are swirling through all the florals, and making a lovely combination of them in a beautiful bouquet.

This isn't as sweet as I thought it might be, but it's still very nice. It seems like it will be more of a skin scent on me. And the label is cute! :) This is more sweetly elegant, because of the floral notes, and not quite so young-lady-sweet. But the sweetness of the vanillas is still very obvious. It's not too candy or foodie because of the floral notes, but still sweet. A keeper for sure.

It starts off with sweet citrusy grapefruit with some flowers in the background. As it dries it turns into a powdery floral scent, mainly gardenia.

Edited by BuxomM

Got this in a recent swap, really eager to try this out. In the bottle, it smells really similar to I Fell In Love With a Floating Brain; vanilla, florals, and grapefruit. Once on my skin, it's primarily a spicier vanilla with grapefruit, which quickly fades to a nondescript vanilla with florals, and the florals fade even quicker from there, leaving it with a faint vanilla. It's an okay scent, but I think someone else is going to like this better.

This sounds nice. All things I like, except for possibly gardenia. I haven't really formed an opinion on that note yet.

In the imp: Smells like eating cake in a flower garden.

Wet: SO MUCH CAKE.

Drydown: As it dries, the jasmine comes forward a bit. I like jasmine. I think this will be nice in late spring.

Later: Jasmine and cake in more or less equal measure. This is unusual, but I like it.