Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
nineveh

A Bachelor's Dog

abachelorsdog.gif

A Bachelor's Dog, C.M. Coolidge.

Soft musk, leather, and Brazilian cigar tobacco.

This is so soft and pretty! Whatever kind of musk this is, it's lighter than what I usually like, but sweet and mellow. The leather is very soft too, and quite wearable. It's more of an accent note while the musk takes the main stage.

I can't smell any tobacco right now, which is too bad because it's one of my favorite notes, but maybe it'll come out with some aging. I wouldn't mind if it never does, though; I love this just how it is.

It's been so long that I'm probably completely wrong, but this smells quite similar to how I remember Buck Moon. At any rate, this is definitely one of those scents that sounds a lot darker in its description than it actually is.

This is a much lighter scent than I expected it to be. It goes on as a light musk, with the leather and cigar tobacco slowing coming up during dry-down. Dry, it's just a hint of a wonderful cigar sitting unlit next to a leather easy chair. One of my most favorite ever scents.

Wow, this is just gorgeous...there is a sweetness here that is just lovely - I'd have put money on this being "caramel tobacco" or there being tonka in this, but mostly this is just like it is pictured - a comfy leather chair, a slightly sweet cigar, and a light light musk. Damn, this is sooooo good.

in the bottle, soft musk and leather.

wet strong leather scent, and a hint of musk

as it dries it becomes so soft, w/ a hint of sweetness and leather. if i concentrate i can pick apart each individual component, but really it is just a well worn comfortable den chair where you sit and just relax. i love this scent so much it is the one i chose to wear today on it's own, after the reviews were done.

This smells mainly like leather to me when it's wet. As it dries, it starts getting muskier and drier. I'm not entirely sold on the cigar tobacco, I think. The scent has become so dry it's kinda powdery. It's also very light. The other two Dogs Playing Poker scents I've tried (Riding the Goat & His Station and Four Aces) were both quite strong. This one wears more like a skin scent.

I'm going to have to give this one a few more trials before I make up my mind, I think.

A Bachelor's Dog - This is the only one of the DPP scents that I'm disappointed with -- not because it's bad, but because I can barely smell it even when I have my wrist stuffed halfway up my nose, much less when I'm just going about my daily business! The Salons scents in general tend to be unwearably subtle on me, and this one is on par with the majority of the other Salon blends, but really unique compared to the much-stronger line of DPP blends. It is a bit stronger when it's first applied than it is upon drydown. When first applied, all I smell is musk -- warm, sweet musk that's almost feral in nature. However, upon drydown, the musk becomes really soft, almost powdery, and it loses its animalistic edge, and becomes practically inert. Behind the musk is the faintest touch of leather and dry tobacco, but they are so faint as to be barely there. It's definitely got a traditionally masculine quality to it, but it's very much a skin scent and I believe anyone could wear this, regardless of gender -- as long as they don't mind a scent that is so very subtle. This is not the type of scent to wear to catch anyone's attention, but I imagine it would enhance the scent of sweet, warm skin when snuggling up to someone wearing it.

This is actually very strong on me, with a lot of staying power and waft. I found it to be a sweet but light tobacco not unlike Perversion, and the sweetness even has a hint of something not entirely unlike coconut. Muskiness causes it to swirl around and waft in a pleasant haze.

Oddly, I never smell leather in this but I am sure that its lending a bit of stability to the blend. This is quite unlike the other tobacco and leather scents in the DPP line, and it never for a moment smells like the bad cigar smell I feared. It's just a toasty, moist, smoky warm sweet tobacco hanging in a room without ever feeling stifling or uncomfortable.

All in all, probably my third favorite of the series!

In the vial: soft, musky leather. Very very light.

On the skin: The cigars come out! It reminds me of a gentlemen's club in a bottle, really. I have to shove my hand to my nose to get anything off this one, which is disappointing but it's a lovely scent. Manly, but delightful! The musk isn't overpowering and the leather is better then the leather scent in like De Sade. Perfect!

This is a very light scent. Its like a sweeter, more perfumey Buck Moon, but with less throw. As the day goes on, its kind of going a bit sour on me, which is disappointing. I think its the leather that is going wonky

I was expecting this to be sort of faint, based on previous reviews, but it still surprised me just a little, just how subtle it really is. I was also expecting it to be more on the powdery side from the musk, but it’s not powdery in the slightest for me. I think the leather helps with that. Actually I’m not sure I can identify the other 2 notes, but I can tell there’s leather here. So, yeah…..soft, sweet, beautiful, definitely androgynous, this is a real winner and I may regret not getting a whole bottle. It seems to be the more civilized brother or cousin of Doc Constantine, and that's the biggest reason I didn't order a whole bottle, since I already have a bottle of Doc, and like that just a bit more than this. Both are great, though.

Thanks to kmasden for the decant.

Vial: This seems to be a different leather accord than I have experienced previously in other BPAL blends, with a touch of dry spicyness.

Skin: The tobacco really comes out on application, and blends with the leather in a sexy, yet somewhat discreet manner. The musk is truly soft in that it doesn't seem to overly amplify the characteristics of the other notes.

Drydown: This doesn't last long, maybe two hours at the most. The musk ends up melding with my skin very nicely while the other elements ultimately fade away. I think this would be wonderful on a man although I'd be disappointed if it demonstrated the same duration of sillage.

This is the smell of my father's leather jacket after he gave it to me, a comforting and masculine smell, a giant hug. He's been gone almost a decade now, but smelling this scent brought a lot of memories back in a rush.

Scent is such a powerful thing.

Got this for Hubby. All we get on him is soft musk.

Alas, nothing to write home about. There are others that are better on him.

Off to swaps.

At first I hated this because I kept getting whiffs of all tobacco and saying, "Who the hell is smoking?!?! Gross!" but now that it's dried down for a couple of hours, I'm really kind of digging it. The musk tempers the tobacco and it just smells warm and comfortable.

A soft skin leather scent. I'm going to age it and see if it gets stronger. I may pass it to the Boy. It might be perfect for him!

N.

I expected this to be such a dark, heavy scent, but it really does have Buck Moon's soft, sweet musk. It's light, creamy, and almost reminds me of vanilla or tonka. With the leather, it reminds me a bit of Perversion (which is a blend I love on the boy these days).

A Bachelor's Dog is a pretty simple scent with the soft musk and leather. I might enjoy this, but I really don't care for the smoky cigar scent that dominates in the drydown. I have an awful time wearing tobacco notes though.

I am loving this scent! I second/third/fourth those who say it reminds them of Buck Moon. The musk used in this blend is exactly the same to my nose both on my skin and in the vial. (for those who have not tried Buck Moon, it's a soft creamy light musk- very smooth and inviting :D ) This scent doesn't morph too much, it stays on my skin equal part musk leather and tobacco. Despite the tobacco and leather, this is a pretty soft scent; it stays pretty close to the skin. In its last stages it smells mostly like soft musk and cigar, which is just heavenly (I am one of those weirdos who loves how cigars smell although I hate smoking them). I will cherish my bottle and decant of this one, for sure! :P

A Bachelor's Dog is the softest musk, the gentlest tobacco and the smoothest suede on me.

It is the subtlest of blends on me, and I can only really smell it when I have my wrist pressed to my nose. Even in a scent locket this one doesn't share much of its gorgeousness. But believe me it IS gorgeous, up close, it is one of my favourite blends of all time. Musk, tobacco and leather are three of my truest loves, and here they are all pretty smoothness. A beautiful 'creamy' fragrance for foody-haters like me. Sometimes I think I'm almost catching an almond note, or perhaps tonka, or for the briefest moment I thought I actually smelled a soft coconut waft.

For me, this smells like a swatch of camel-coloured suede looks and feels.

:P

It's barely there. :P I'm disappointed - usually anything with leather or tobacco notes in it amps deliciously on me. But here I can hardly smell the leather or the tobacco, and the musk is vaguely cologney. Sad. :D

Hmmm, a Gentleman's Library in a bottle!

In the bottle, it's leather, Leather, LEATHER!

Wet, it's leather with a musk background. It's also very thick, and takes a minute to absorb into my skin. Very viscous oil.

Drying down, it's still LEATHER, and there is a backnote that makes me think of neat's foot oil. The musk is fading a lot.

Dry. I get mostly leather and blond tobacco. It's a room full of leather-bound books and leather furniture, with a humidor. Close your eyes and be transported to a manor house library.

I'm not sure about wearing this as a skin scent. An atmospheric room scent, oh yeah. And I also picture rubbing on the leather bindings of a couple of my antique books. It definitely makes you feel like you're visiting the 19th century.

I love the tobacco in this. It combines so well with the leather and adds a wonderful, sweet spiciness and a hint of vanilla. And the soft, warm musk is ever so gentle and comforting. “Delicate leather scent” seems like an oxymoron but that’s exactly what this is. There’s nothing bold about it, but its softness is appealing.

In the vial:

Resinous

On me:

This goes on very resinous and actually makes me think of frankincense and myrrh more than tobacco or leather.

That doesn't last long though - in the drydown, it becomes softer and warmer. The musk becomes very evident and is backed by a very soft tobacco. The leather is pretty faint here also, and the way it melds with the musk and tobacco, the end result is a scent that doesn't make you think of one note in particular.

Final note:

There isn't anything really impressive about this scent to me. It's kind of middle of the road - it's nice, but it isn't great, and it reminds me of a lot of other scents. The imp is a keeper, but I don't have a need for a bottle for this one (thankfully though, because they are no longer available!)

A BACHELOR'S DOG

In Bottle: Soft sweet yum

On Skin: Now this one I LOVE. So soft and sexy, slightly masculine but hell, I’d wear it too!! I love leather notes, I love soft musk and there is just a hint of tobacco that’s sweet but not sickly sweet. A perfect combination of these 3 notes. This also is very light, a nice scent for someone who wants something subtle. This is a comfort scent for sure, I just want to cuddle with it. It’s a little dry and powdery for my usual taste, but that just makes the scent feel older and more worn-in. A skin scent for sure, causing you to lean in and deeply inhale. It also reminds me of a very faint version of one of the Snake Oils from the Snake Pit. I am going to beg my husband to wear this one. He likes more softer scents and we both adore the leather notes. Light throw and short to average wearlength.

Oh, this is so much different than I thought it would be! I had imagined it to be very masculine, and that perhaps it would be better on my husband than myself. Let's just say, it's mine! All mine!!

In the imp, and initially wet on the skin, it's all about the musk and the leather. But it's not overpowering, just mmmmm. Warm and a little sweet from the musk.

As it dries down, the tobacco comes out, and it is gorgeous. Warm, lightly sweet, and almost a dark vanilla in it's depth. The leather fades back to a faint, well-worn smell, and for me, the musk amps to swirl around the tobacco.

I am treasuring my half imp, and am planning on seeking out more!