Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sd357

Monster Bait: Tokyo Stomp

Beckons all giant creatures from gargantuan reptiles and humongous moths! These babies are sure to crush everything from dollhouses to shopping malls! Can even be used to summon colossal robots in a pinch! A sweet and crisp vanilla mint!

Woo hoo! Girl Scout cookie thin mints! Yep, it's them!

In the bottle and wet, it's thin mints. There's a bread-y cookie-ish undertone in it, with chocolate and minty vanilla. I keep seeing a plastic Godzilla rampaging through scattered thin mints, with Calvin attached, and Hobbes saying "It's going to be hard to eat those later. Can I have the crumbs?"

Dry, the chocolate and cookie qualities back off, though, and it becomes just minty vanilla. Wow, I love this in all its stages!

I think I might be one of the few people that this one didn't work for. In the bottle, I smelled the Thin Mints like everyone else. The predominant smell was that same burnt cakey smell that I've noticed in Jack and Pumpkin Queen and the mint and vanilla took a backseat. It was the same when I put it on. I like the burnt cakey note in Jack because I consider that a fall scent, but I really wanted more sharp vanilla mint creaminess from this one so I could wear it as my summer scent. Oh well, I'm sure I'll be able to find a new home for the beast :P

In the imp: Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies. Yum!

On Skin: Graham cracker minty cookies.

On Drydown: The mint disappears and I get a weird vanilla that has a funky plasticky edge on it.

Verdict: WAAAH! I wanted to love this so much. When first applied and in the imp, it smells fabulous. But after like fifteen minutes and all the way into the drydown, I get this musty vanilla plastic funk. Soooo sad. I'm hoping that aging this will help but first I'll read up on the forum and consult other forumites about this. If not, I'm gonna have to swap this puppy away.

I was hoping that this would be vanilla mint without being foody, but it's not. Both wet and dry, there's a lovely mint and vanilla, but there's that pastry smell that I get in Knave of Hearts. It's not overly sweet, not really like a Thin Mint on me, but more like a mint and vanilla scone, if such things existed.

It smells OK, and the throw is pretty good, but I'm just not a fan of foody scents.

In the bottle: mint humbugs, sweetness with a crunchy edge to it.

On me, wet: mint humbugs, very sweet toffee-ish vanilla and peppermint. Very tasty, if sticky.

On me, dry: mint humbugs, still. It's a very bright white powdery sort of mint, and a very toffee-ish vanilla.

Verdict: I like this. I don't *think* I need a full bottle, though, since I prefer my mints less sugary. Hmm. I'll hang onto my bottle for now.

Edit: other people get *chocolate* in this? Weird.

Edited by storme

not a whole lot i can say about such a simple scent so i'll keep it short--

not nearly as good as spooky or snowblind, for perfect mint scents...but not as in your face mint stick as lick it.

will put this one down to age and see what happens.

I found the mint very sharp and fresh when wet, cutting quite harshly through the vanilla.

But it dried down to a gorgeous creamy vanilla with a subtle lick of mint on top.

It lasted for four hours on me before fading, and mmmmm, it's so nice... :P

I just had a nosegasm. lol

Wet, MB: TS combines the sharp, biting peppermint of Lick It and the smooth, buttercake vanilla frosting of Snowblind in one bottle, but with some foody, dark note not listed but definitely present - almost a wood or cardamom note. Godzilla is definitely NOT a sweet, innocuous mint on my skin. Underneath the edible goodness lurks a darker scent. It is SO not what I expected, either from the description or the reviews! Vanilla is usually as innocent as hell on me, fluffy, candy sweet, but this dark note lurking beneath the surface of the ocean from which Godzilla has arisen is far from fluffy. I'm really glad, too! I wanted something different from a monster, and I got it. :D

I am really glad I gambled on two bottles unsniffed. I will use this far more often than the LI or SB, the former because it's such a pure peppermint and the latter because it's so friggin' rare and costly. I can see layering this with the new 13 - oh my God, would that smell awesome - sweetly sinister. And it would be AMAZING layered with Snowblind - sweet candy with a mysterious dark center.

As it dries down, the peppermint recedes, but the darker note remains, combining with the sweet vanilla top note. I can't stop sniffing my wrist. :D

What a fantastic mint scent. :P This monster is awesome.

This one broke my heart. It's absolutely AMAZING in the bottle but on me, it smells like a cheap, waxy vanilla candle. Curse my skin chemistry!!! Why oh why can't I smell like the pretty bottle!!! :P :D Off to swaps I suppose :D

Tokyo Stomp! :P

So good I had to buy another bottle! And I don't know if that will be enough.

I love the cookie vanilla with the fresh, cool mint. My husband says, "You smell like mint chocolate chip ice cream!" and my friend says, "You know those cookies the girl guides sell? Yeah, it smells like Thin Mints."

I just can't stop smelling myself and smiling! And although it lasts hours and hours on me - I still keep reapplying! It's my favorite BPAL so far.

I don't know what to say about this one that hasn't already been said. It smells like a thin mint cookie both in the bottle and on my skin, and lasts for quite a long time, although with not too much throw. I love it, and am tremendously glad I ordered muliple bottles unsniffed!

:P :D :D

:) ;) B)

Oh, such high expectations but also fearful that this one would turn into Numb's aweful powder & extreme amplification as well.

I wasn't sure if BPAL's mint note was what made Numb give me a headache, but I know that BPAL's vanilla is AWESOME.

In the Bottle:

Kinda reminds me of Listerine's Vanilla Mint mouthwash here....

::worries about the mint note!!::

On my Skin, Wet:

Sticky? no, literally. hmmm... ooooooo!!!

::drools!!::

creamy mint! how wonderful!

This is both a creamy and powdery mint - more creamy than powdery, but there is definitely a dry tone to this one.

On my Skin, Dry:

Well, I don't get the chocolate/cocoa note that most other reviewers are getting, so my Tokyo Stomp smells extremely true to the description - no chocolate thin mints here, sorry!

Verdict:

Monster Bait: Tokyo Stomp, on me, is very true to the Lab's description.

(a Sweet & Crisp Vanilla Mint)

I had been looking for a mint scent that I could wear and not pass out from the intensity of it - so there is definitely another little lovable nuclear lizard on his way home!

Hooray!!

I was greatly anticipating this one, as from reading the reviews I was wondering if I would fall into the "yay" or "nay" camp. I love Vanilla and Mint. I love Monsters. However my chemistry doesn't handle the baked goods category of BPAL very well. So...I was very curious.

In the vial, this is what everyone else has said: Girl scout thin mint cookie! Yum Yum! On to the skin test..

On my wrist, wet to drydown: Okay, here are where things get crazy: This scent takes me on a journey that is like riding shotgun with a partially blind, drunken driver on a winding mountain pass road. It keeps morphing into "Oh No!" territory, only to swing back on to the road at the very last second.

So first it's much like in the bottle, but after a few seconds the sugar comes out, which is ok, then that classic BPAL baked good scent.... it's getting bad, oh no, but screeech... oh that's good.....rich, heady, vanilla, mmmmmm.....then it starts veering into vanilla plastic land, no, no! ohh...whew, there it is softening, I start to relax, really loving this, wondering how I am going to score a bottle of this popular blend, when suddenly! over a cliff into a fiery crash of burnt tires and vanilla!

Really, that's where this ends up. Burnt tires and Vanilla. I had to wash it off.

Damn you skin chemistry. Damn. You. :P

Edited by Ohmaude

So I wasn't sure what was going to be unique about this: there are two other vanilla mints, Snowblind and Lick It. But those two are quite different so I assumed Tokyo Stomp would have some twist to it. Indeed, it is it's own scent, though it is somewhat reminiscent of Snowblind. I like it a lot more than Snowblind, which I find a bit bland in a weird way. Tokyo stomp has a very cake-like vanilla base, and I adore it. I will be bathing in this constantly. Mmm. I did have someone say "chocolate" was a scent they got out of it while I was wearing it. I didn't notice it. But indeed, it must have some aspect that smells like the Thin Mints everyone mentions.

I love Beth's foodies. I love Tokyo Stomp.

5 out of 5.

This smells different on moisturized vs. dry skin to me.

Wet: Oh god, it feels so nice and cool. Our temps are back in the 100s so this is a relief. Definitely Thin Mints. I'm hungry now :P

Dry, dry skin: Oh no, it's getting rubbery! Don't do this! I want to love you! It smells like this Philosophy peppermint patty lip gloss I swapped to someone because it just didn't work on me.

Dry, moisturized skin: Thankfully this is only rubber if I'm up *really* close. Much much better. The vanilla is a more prominent and a bit warmer.

I fully intend to edit this post once I've experimented with how it holds up in the heat for a while. But now I'm going to grab a box of Thin Mints...

Love the label-art :P

That said, I think I am the victim of a plastic/candle reaction too :D So sad.

This starts out nicely, more foody and buttery/cookie than I initially expected.

On my skin, the mint is very tingly and happy to begin with, but it fades quite quickly, and then all I've got left is a plasticky vanilla. This has not happened to me before with other blends, and it makes me sad, since I was looking forward to this alot.

I won't be swapping or selling it for now though, because I have experienced what aging can do to improve a scent on me (think S.nake Oil and S.mut)

So... I'm hopeful!

I love the smell of minty things, but haven't yet found much (ultraviolet being an exception I can name off the top of my head) that's worked nicely on my skin ... but I figured I'd get a decant of this and try my luck anyways, seeing as I quite enjoyed the sniffie of snowblind I received (:

In the imp, it's a wonderful chewy minty fudge concoction. It's positively edible!

Wet on skin, the minty crispness is still there, with the vanilla peeking out a little more.

As it dries though, I discover that this contains the vanilla of doom, because I get plastic! :P

I love vanilla in my scents, but I realise not all BPAL vanillas like my skin ):

*sigh* ... I'd give this a go in the oil burner, but sadly I think this lil decant might have to find another home ...

Edited by Girl Android

I can't decide if I like this or not. Hm.

In the Bottle: Kind of the weirdest mint I've ever smelt. I'm totally not getting Thin Mints, more like a vanilla-mint toothpaste almost? It's bizarre.

Wet: There's some cake here, along with the mint & vanilla. It reminds me a whole lot of this cake that my mother adores, a chocolate mint angelfood cake. I like it, I think?

Dry: Cake and mint and I'm still getting a dash of chocolate. It's still that cake, but there's an odd layer of dirt and dust smeared over it along with an odd dash of celery. Celery of all things! Bizarre, but not bad.

Edited by bunnymcfoo

Ooooh, yum!

In the bottle: I didn't realize how hungry I was until I smelled this! Butter and mint, yummm. (My roommate and I made truffles using peppermint extract, white chocolate chips and butter - this is it!)

On: Thin mints, O, thin mints, how I love thee. It's the peppermint of Lick It Again, slathered on a cookie.

After a while, it's more like vanilla ice cream with the mint from Green Tree Snake.

:P

Initially, it smelled vaguely minty and kind of cookie-ish. After I read the reviews I realized that yes, it's Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies I smell. And I don't really want to smell like that. I'm not sure why, it isn't anything against Girl Scouts or their cookies, there was just something off-putting to me about smelling like this. It doesn't smell bad, it just doesn't smell like me. I guess I was expecting something more minty and creamy, not so much cookie. So I think I'm going to keep my imp, and swap my bottle.

In the imp, I could smell the mint but I wondered where all the thin mints descriptions were coming from. But once I applied it, hello! Definitely thin mint, but not too strong or sharp on the mint. This is very pleasant and fresh, and now I am really mad at myself for not ordering a bottle!

Rating (on skin): 3/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Wintergreen.

Pre-Review Thoughts: I love vanilla, and I love mint. What's not to love about Tokyo Stomp?

In the imp: Vanilla, and mint! Love!

On skin, wet: Wintergreen and a smooth, cold vanilla. Others call it peppermint, but this smacks of wintergreen to me. I like wintergreen, but not nearly as much as I love, say, peppermint; wintergreen has famous medicinal tang to it.

On skin, dry: Vanilla and wintergreen ice cream. Unfortunately, the longer it wears, the sharper, and more plastic the wintergreen becomes on my skin. All told, I'm not sure it's wintergreen, of course, but it has all the hallmarks of it.

Conclusion: Me, not totally in love with a vanilla/mint blend? Alas, tis true. I'd be all over this, if it were a strong peppermint, but, as I said, wintergreen is the one mint I'm not crazy about, and this screams wintergreen to me.

I got a decant of this from a nice forum member because I'm just too chicken to buy without smelling first, but I think I may have to find a bottle.

I can't really smell much in the bottle when it's shut-- the scent is just light enough to be pretty unobtrusive. Opened, yes, I can definitely smell the thin mint (I made sure and had a couple cookies beforehand for, er, reference purposes. Yes.)

On me, though, I very clearly get a smooth vanilla mint scent. There seems to be some disparity in reviews as to whether it's a peppermint or spearmint, but I definitely get the kind of peppermint in a York pattie. The first time I put this on I applied rather sparingly, but it faded pretty quickly. So this morning, I put on a good amount and it smells heavenly. It also must have some throw to it, because someone came into my office and said something smelled good from across the room.

Anyway, I wasn't sure how I would feel about mint as a perfume, but I think I've been won over. I still don't get the Kaiju=mint thing, but hey.

This smells to me a bit like those puffy spun sugary mint candies that you can get by the spoonful by the door at some Italian restaurants - you know, the classic type with the red and white checkered table cloths and candles with nets on them...

I originally didn't order this, because I figured, I have most of a bottle of Snowblind, plus both versions of Lick It/Again...why do I need another candy-mint scent, right? But, when the opportunity to swap for a bottle came up, I figured what the heck.

And you know - this might be my favorite of the bunch.

I love those little candies. :P

I need to compare this side by side with Snowblind, my off the top of my head, I'd say that this is a cooler scent. Not the "perfect" vanilla mint, but a more edible one, definitely. There is a more foody feel to this scent, a more candy-sweet aftertaste if you will.

In the bottle: MINT FUDGE!!! I had a feeling this would smell like my favourite mint fudge and I was right. Buttery vanilla sugar (not as buttery as Snowblind), lots of peppermint, and a touch of chocolate. I thought Green Tree Viper was fudgy but the resemblance here is much stronger.

Wet on skin: even more mint fudge! A chocolatey note starts to rise up and it becomes a little bit more sugary and crumbly.

Dry on skin: now it smells more like mint fudge and biscuits! Mmm, this is good. It reminds me of the biscuity/cake and cocoa base of Monster Bait Underbed, but with a hint of Spooky. I swear there's even a touch of coconut to it as well, it smells a lot drier now, and quite crisp and cool, though not as much as Lick It, this is a bit foodier. It also reminds me of Snow White (yes!), actually, there's that same creamy coolness. It still has that delicious fudge scent to it…in fact I feel an urge to eat some of that now.

After a while: eventually the fudgy scent does seem to fade, but surprisingly, the mint sticks around. and the scent starts to turn into a foodier, almost chocolaty version of Snow White, or Snow Flakes with added vanilla. It reminds me of After Eight mints now, but with a gorgeous snowy cool base to it, soft and creamy and a little bit fruity and marshmallow-y. It also reminds me a little bit of the Candy Butcher with added minty coolness and a hint of warm cake at the base. Unusually, this smells both warm and comforting and also cool and bracing all at once. At this point the mint note reminds me of 'menthe a l'eau' (mint cordial diluted in water) like it did in Snow Flakes.

Call my skin crazy, but I swear there's a touch of cassia to this. As time passes it seems to get spicier, and smells just like Underbed. The drydown is a lovely soft lightly spiced marshmallow biscuit, and smells very similar to the Candy Butcher without as much chocolate. There's even a little touch of what may be white musk to it. For such a light fluffy scent, I'm surprised at how long it stays on my skin.

Verdict: this year, I got the Best Mint Fudge Ever for my birthday. It's very expensive fudge, and 'delicious' doesn't even do justice to how wonderful it is. TS smells just like that fudge in the bottle. On the skin it gets more complex. The vanilla mints of BPAL are very different. It's not often that I describe scents as tangible textures, but I get a brittle, 'hard sugar' feel from Lick It, a squishy, 'doughy' or marzipan-textured feel from Snowblind, and a fluffy, whipped, almost bouncy feel from TS, just like a marshmallow. This one is reminiscent of Spooky with the biscuity base of Underbed with an extra hit of mint and vanilla, and a little chocolate. I smell cocoa, cassia and coconut here too…and snow. The scent then begins to become layered into iced, slushy creamy mint and warm chocolate on top of dry baked vanilla-spicy cake. Very interesting warm-cool contrast, almost like mint ice cream or sorbet served on top of a warm slice of vanilla cake drizzled with hot chocolate sauce. It has a real 'Monster Bait' feel to it, I think these blends must share a similar foody vanilla base…but this one has a feel of Snow White (and resembles SW's minty sister, Snow Flakes, strongly at times), that fluffy whiteness, like snowy marshmallows, to it as well. Another vanilla-mint scent which I am in love with, the mint makes this nice and cool for summer but overall this seems to me like a winter scent, with an almost Christmassy feel to it, indulgent and rich yet with a frosty covering of mint. Glad I bought another backup!

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Oh yes! From its fudgy start to its snowy ending, it is love. I'm glad I have two bottles of this.

If you like this, try: Green Tree Viper, Lick It (Again), Snow Flakes, Monster Bait Underbed, Snowblind, Snow White, Undertow,, Candy Butcher

Edited by yeahbutnobut