Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sd357

Monster Bait: Tokyo Stomp

Beckons all giant creatures from gargantuan reptiles and humongous moths! These babies are sure to crush everything from dollhouses to shopping malls! Can even be used to summon colossal robots in a pinch! A sweet and crisp vanilla mint!

This was an extra in a package from the lovely sunshinedaisybliss, and it is delicious!

I get mostly sweet mint, with hints of vanilla. The chocolate doesn't come out to play on my skin. Love it! I can see why it is very popular. :)

A gift in my fairy package from the badass SurrealReality on LJ!

In Imp: Exactly what I was hoping for. The deliciousness of vanilla and mint, crisp and sweet, with an undertone of chocolate. It smells a lot like mint chocolate chip ice cream, with a real strong cool vanilla kick. Very good.

Wet: There is something that I didn't anticipate - musk! I know it's not listed, but there's definitely a muskiness to this that I'm not used to in foodie scents. It's really nice though. Just smelling it make my tongue go cold, like I'm eating ice cream or chewing something with menthol.

Drying: As it dries it sweetens but oh no, underneath is a touch of plastic!

Dry: As it dries the plastic goes away, and I end up with a musky vanilla-mint with a tiny bit of chocolate and a lot of vanilla. Cool and sweet, it actually tickles my nose a little to smell it. Absolutely lovely. It doesn't quite make it to a perfect score for the plastic-ness, but the ending and beginning are way too delicious. 4/5

Origin:

5mL bought on LiveJournal.

Preconceived notions:

I'm a little up in the air about what to expect from this one. On the one hand, I'm thinking it might be similar to Snowblind (which I love) or one of the Lick It variations (which I definitely don't love). But, then, the reviews mention chocolate, which isn't mentioned in the description, and that makes me think it won't be like either one. I was desperate to get ahold of Tokyo Stomp, though, and paid more than I really wanted to, so I'm really hoping this works, regardless of what it ends up smelling like.

First sniff:

The comparisons to the inside of a York peppermint patty are spot on. This is brisker and crisper than Snowblind and doesn't the "butter mint" effect that Snowblind has. I do smell a bit of chocolate here, too. In fact, this reminds me of a more pepperminty, crisper version of Spooky. That's not a bad thing, but it's not great, either, since I have too much Spooky already (when I rarely wear it) and I don't need more of something that smells like it.

Wet on skin:

At first this is super intense, almost eye-watering peppermint patty filling. It's very pepperminty and very crisp, not smooth and soft like Snowblind or Spooky. Then it quickly develops a hint of chocolate to it. Dark chocolate, I think. Just a touch.

Dry down:

As this dries, it turns into something very much like Spooky without the coconut on my skin. It's not identical, but it's really, really close to being Spooky's twin on me. If you took a York peppermint patty and crossed it with a Grasshopper cookie, you'd get something like Tokyo Stomp. I like it in spite of not being a big mint or chocolate fan (although I'm learning to love BPAL's dark chocolate scents), but I'm disappointed in how close it is to being a Spooky dupe.

The bottom line:

I was worried this would smell too much like Snowblind, but it turns out smelling like Spooky. It smells good and I like it, but I've got more than enough Spooky on hand already, so Tokyo Stomp is a little redundant. It breaks my heart because I was so desperate to get ahold of this, but I think it's going to have to move on to crush another city with it's minty-chocolatey giant lizard feet. My town's reached its limit of mint-chocolate scents. :(

On: Gorgeous, sparkling vanilla mint.
1 hour in: Soft vanilla mint with a hint of celery. I hate my skin sometimes.
2.5 hours in: Yeah, celery and something sweet.
4.5 hours in: Vaguely sweet.
Overall: My skin is weird. I wish this scent were way, way stronger on me, since I'm a huge fan of vanilla and mint together.

First sniff: Someone has ground up a Thin Mint cookie into a fine powder and blown it straight up my nose with a blowgun. Chocolate and mint and…well, what else do you need, really?

Wearing: Chocolate. Mint. Happiness. Sadly, as with just about every mint, it doesn’t last…but I think it’s good enough for long enough that I’ll just learn to deal with it. Yum.

Thanks to Dorian who swapped this imp to me! :wub2:

In the vial: delicious, yummy yummy yummy mint cream icing :yum:

Wet On Skin: more of the same. I get how Shollin got chocolate mint, though. There's that fine type of good vanilla that can be interpreted as chocolate as well. I'm loving it so far, either way ;)

Dry Down: Yup, it's Peppermint Patty, alright. enough so that I kinda might need to run out to the grocery to get one!

In All: low throw, and it fades quickly. I love this, but if I'm going to really make some time for it, it's going to require a full bottle, as I will have to do as many others talked about, which is slathering myself in it to make it last on my skin for any length of time...

My god, people weren't joking when they described it as a Thin Mint cookie. That's what it is for me straight up and I love. But now I want Thin Mints. :lol:

I'm not too familiar with Thin Mints, but this is a dead ringer for the white chocolate peppermint Hershey kisses that come out around Christmastime, which are my favorite Kisses ever. It's perfect. It starts out extra minty, but the MINT! fades a bit within a few minutes to let the wonderful chocolate/vanilla smell out, and it stays a perfect peppermint Kiss for hours. I love this blend, but it's making me hungry right now. :lol:

This brings to mind the perfect Girl Scout thin mints!! Mmmm... Very, very yummy- but I find I've had a bottle for years and rarely wear it, so it doesn't appeal to me as a daily (or even a once-in-awhile) scent. But what a nummy scent!

I was so infatuated with this blend. I bought as much as I could get my hands on, unsniffed...

In bottle: sweet vanilla mint! Very vanilla, and a soft sweet mint. Where snowblind is more mint than vanilla in the bottle, this is more vanilla than mint. Very yummy, tipping towards foody.

Wet on skin: yum! Definitely a sweet candy vanilla mint. Beautiful and yummy and so foodily wonderful; smooth and creamy and minty. This blend makes me want some sweets right nao. The mint strengthens as it dries, keeping more on par with the vanilla.

Dry: this becomes a slightly dusty vanilla mint. Sweet and beautiful and refreshing in a very smooth and creamy way. However, as it stays longer on my skin, that horrible, horrible plasticky note starts to come out for me.

Verdict: I really, REALLY wanted to get this to work. Not just because of the blend itself, but because I, er, ended up with multiple expensive bottles. D: I even tried a scent locket for it, but in the end...I have to let it go. I like how blends become so personal on my skin, and can't remember to be fussy enough to put it in a scent locket.

Sniffed: A mash-up of mint, chocolate and vanilla!

On skin: Mint dominates, but it's adulterated by vanilla, which is itself laced heavily with chocolate. This is a tense equilibrium of cold crisp mint, sweet cocoa, and creamy vanilla. It's not a harmonious scent -- the mint clashes somewhat with chocolate vanilla, and does threaten to overwhelm them -- but somehow it works, and mint is held back from morphing into MINTzilla and stomping over the other notes. Tokyo Stomp is a bold study in contrasts: it is simultaneously cold and warm, sharp and creamy, unfriendly and cozy. Just a bit clashing, like Monster meeting City, I guess. I don't get a colour impression as much as a direct association with mint-and-choc-chip ice cream.

Verdict: Fascinating! Although it's not my favourite choc peppermint blend (that will have to go to WILF), Tokyo Stomp is the purest version I've found, and I think it'll work well for layering. And I'm stoked that it doesn't turn into the MINTzilla! (Kind of ironic, given its name, but yes.) At last, I'm discovering mint blends that I can wear!

Edited by Vega

This one smells a lot like Thin Mints on me- which are a favorite cookie of mine! But, for some reason I don't really like wearing minty perfume.

Edited by Alshneato

This is minty baked goods. The dreaded cake note from the Lab and.. sweet mint. Smells horrible on me. Pass!

I love vanilla. I love mint. I love vanilla and mint together. It smelled exactly like minty vanilla in the decant. I was so excited to try this.

The oil goes on the skin, and the lovely minty vanilla turns into something reminiscent of a sour tic-tac. Immediate beeline to the bathroom to scrub my wrist. Curse you, skin chemistry! *headdesk*

I describe this scent to people as "a Thin Mint, but with vanilla." My husband says it smells like a baby doll fresh out of the packaging (oh, well, with a smell this good I don't care what he says!).

I have had this since it came out, and it is my go-to "I need a mood boost" scent. It's very nicely aged by now, and so it smells pretty much the same wet all the way through dry-down: perfectly mixed warm vanilla and mint. It has a medium throw on me, and an 8-10 hour wear length. I like to put it on right before bed and waft off to sleep in the warm, comforting foodie scent, and wake up to the faded, faintly there scent lingering on my pulse points.

This is really divine. The allusions to Thins mints are spot on. It does not really morph on me, it just disappears. I get a few minutes of deliciousness and then <poof> gone :cry2:

OHHHHH. MY. GOD.

My favourite girl scout cookies are the Thin Mints.

This smells exactly like a Thin Mint. But better. BETTER.

:thud:

I can't believe I found a full bottle of this on Ebay - for $20 no less. I will cherish this precious and try desperately not to drink it because NOM! And I don't even normally like minty scents to wear...

:yum:

You know those crumbly white mints you get in a bowl at the door of some restaurants? The ones which almost look like a tooth or a rough piece of gum with a mint center? Exactly that. It's a good vanilla, with nice longevity, and the mint stays around the edges. Very foody.

Tokyo Stomp...

In bottle: At first I thought it was that cakey gingery scent that a few of the other Monster Baits seem to have....

On skin: Cool vanilla! Whoa...much mint. More like a dinner mint than a peppermint. Its not harsh, and the vanilla itself may have something to do with that. It still has that cakey ginger smell...is this some type of vanilla these blends use? Underpants, biggerCritters, and Tokyo Stomp all so far have that...so I am assuming it is a certain type of vanilla.

Dry: A very cool, pretty, spicy vanilla mint. Beautiful.

I just don't like mint :mellow:

BUT IF YOU DO: Sooo incredibly smooth and beautiful.

I love the coolness of mint combined with something warm like vanilla and this does not disappoint. It is simple - uplifting, while also managing to be warm. I will probably wear this more in the summer because I tend to like warmer scents, but the cool mint will suit the summer weather.

Buttery, delicious vanilla mint. There's really nothing more to say XD The vanilla is a rich, foody, buttery type and the mint manages to hang on for a bit before it burns away. I just love this so much.

Wet: This has that "dusty" or powdery quality that gourmand scents sometimes get on my skin. The mint is nice, but this vanilla note is struggling on me. It was lovely in the imp and for a split second before it mixed with my chemistry.

Dry: Still dusty and powdery. I adore the Monster Baits, because the first Monster Bait update was one of my first orders directly from the Lab, so they have a special place in my heart, and I wanted to try the only one I hadn't tried in the series. It's not for me, though I will likely keep the decant for sentimentality.

More gourmand than Snowblind. Also stronger than Snowblind. Not as intense mint as with Lick It. I get a strong butter creme vanilla. . But it's the second most intense one. This faded really quickly on me. Maybe it's because of how old it is and mints sometimes can age badly. This perfume focuses more of the vanilla gourmand side than the mint. But the mint does temper it out from being full out gourmand. This would be a great perfume if your not crazy about mint but want to test the waters

Tokyo Stomp smells so delicious in the vial! chocolate minty yum

Wet, it's still nice. Minty and sweet vanilla, but the drydown just turns into a dusty cheap vanilla candle that has a slight hint of mint. 

Meh... If only my skin liked this vanilla note!