Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sd357

Monster Bait: Tokyo Stomp

Beckons all giant creatures from gargantuan reptiles and humongous moths! These babies are sure to crush everything from dollhouses to shopping malls! Can even be used to summon colossal robots in a pinch! A sweet and crisp vanilla mint!

I love this one because it's one of the few scents with vanilla that I actually can stand! I think its the potency of the mint...it balances the vanilla out on me, so I don't wind up with a stomach-churning heavy handed Vanilla At Grandma's House scent. It cheers me up to smell this, but it also makes me want chocolate. And I also discovered that while I got tons of compliments on how I smelled, it is probably unwise to ever wear this to a Weight Watchers meeting again. By the end, everyone was craving Thin Mints.

In the bottle: Pure mint.

On: Minty vanilla with something else in the background. At first I thought it was chocolate, but then (with many deep inhales) realized it was coffee. Huh? But it seemed to warm the scent up a bit.

Verdict: This was a bit of a gamble for me. Mint notes tend to overpower everything else, while vanilla always goes powdery. They must balance each other out here, so this is great!

Initial thoughts: WANT. WANT. WANT. GET ON MY SKIN. NOW!

In the bottle: Fekkin' After Eights. Nice After Eights. Sweet minty vanilla goodness. Mouthwateringly so. Oh. My. God.

On the wrist, wet: Ach, that's a bit... strong. I think I put a bit too much on - it's a bit like potent cheap creme de menthe at the moment. This is going to have to mellow out enough to stop my eyes watering before we can get along.

Fifteen minutes later: Great throw. Vanilla has a habit of going a bit sour and acrid on my skin, which is exactly what this is doing. It's still too early to say whether it'll stay that way or if the mint is going to strengthen, but at the moment I'm getting alcoholic After Eights.

Thirty minutes later: While not helped by ten minutes with Eau de Wet Dog, this is still sharper and more sour than I'd like. It's still mellowing, but the mint is definately taking a back seat.

Verdict: Overall, I'm slighlty dissapointed. In the bottle, this smells like seven shades of amazing awesomeness. Unfortunately, vanilla tends to react in a certain way on me which here, doesn't work all that great. I'm keeping the bottle (Actually, I think you'd have to prize it from my cold dead fingers) but I'm going to try wearing it in my hair or on a handkerchief.

Tl;Dr: Wrist-lickingly delicoius minty vanilla goodness, which sadly doesn't love my skin chemistry too much.

I just realized I don't even smell any of the BPAL scents in the bottle because very few smell like they do when you wear them. This is Thin Mints, cool and crisp chocolate with mint! As it dried it took on a note that I didn't like..sort of a stale mint oreo cookie. Now about 2 hours later it morphed again. The vanilla must have come out and the chocolate has disappeared. The Girl Scouts should wear this when they go around selling cookies! Very yummy and very foody. Not sure I would wear it, but it is delicious.

First Impression: Sweet mint.

Dries down to: Stays the same except for the vanilla becoming more obvious.

Additional Comments: This is a lovely summer scent. Refreshing without being too 'cold' as some mints can be. It only lasts a couple of hours, so I'll have to carry it with me on days I wear it.

Rating: 4 out of 5.

This was a decanted frimp. *Brrrr!* On the skin wet this is a cooling, summery bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream. Or a grasshopper with dark chocolate shavings. I do not like minty foods..so I'm surprised this is going over so well as a scent.

Great summer blend, this is the first literally "cooling" Vanilla I've ever tried! Long wear length & average throw.

In the imp and freshly applied, this is ALL Chocolate Mint Girl Scout Cookie! (I've seen others compare it to Thin Mints as well, and yes yes yes. Spot on!)

I was somewhat afraid to try this, to be honest, as I am not a big fan of mint scents, but I was pleasantly surprised! The strong initial foodiness of it was a bit overwhelming for me at first, but after about an hour or so this warmed up and mellowed out into SUCH A GORGEOUS vanilla; just so pure and soft and golden and so so delicious. I kept catching whiffs of it and thought I was in heaven, it is absolutely that beautiful. And I am a SNOB when it comes to my vanillas - so many of them out there are just so perfumey and wrong and irritating to my sinuses :) - but this one had me singing praises. :D

After all that, I still am unsure on whether or not I'll be keeping this imp! The vanilla is heartbreakingly lovely, but I don't know if I've the patience to wait through the initial minty, foody scent. :P I think I may give it another couple of tries before making any definite decision, but in the meantime I give Tokyo Stomp a resounding HALLELUJAH! :D

Bottle: Potent is the first word that comes to mind. I bought this from LJ and it was opened once in 2007 and I can smell it without opening the bottle. In fact, when the envelope arrived, I could smell it and feared the worst. Anyway. STRONG vanilla mint. Same vanilla as Monster Bait: biggerCritters. It's very sweet and smooth and borderline buttery. Really lovely mint note that I don't think I've smelled in BPAL before.

Wet: HI! HELLO! I AM TOKYO STOMP AND THAT IS WHAT I DO BEST! STOMPY STOMP STOMP STOMP! LOTS OF SMELL! VERY LOUD! The scent from the bottle but magnified like whoa. I put on a drop from the lid and my wee little brain cackles gleefully, thinking about how little I need, thereby extending the life of the bottle.

Dry: It calms down a bit and now definitely has a chocolate quality to it. Sweet and creamy vanilla touched with an icing powder mint. Seriously foody and seriously divine.

Throw: Amazing when wet, okay when dry.

Overall: A fun, silly scent. I love the creaminess of it and the contrast between the vanilla and the mint. Glad to have a bottle and hope people ask what it is because I love the name.

When I smelled this in the bottle, I was a bit worrried because it smelled VERY foody in a vanilla sort of way. Once on, though, I LOVE this scent. The vanilla is not plasticy, but very smooth, and the mint makes it more so. I really don't like smelling too foody, but this was a great balance, especially for summer. Simple, but very effective. Definite win, too bad I just have the one bottle.

Wow, I have no idea why I initially put this into the 'can't stand' category. What was I thinking?! I just got it out again and it's gorgeous! Downright foody in the imp, almost like mint cake. For some reason my skin absorbed all the vanilla (very unusual for me!) and I'm left with mostly mint, but it's a very refreshing smell. I think it might give me a headache if I left it on all day, but then, most things do. For the moment it's quite pleasant!

In the bottle, vanilla mint...this is what I would have loved Lick It Again to smell like. Food notes, but not foody per se. My fingers are crossed that this works for me!

Wet, minty, but more spearmint then peppermint. I'm also getting a liniment type note from this. It's like there is eucalyptus in here as well.

Dry...sadly, this still smells like liniment on me. Damn! I wanted to like this...but apparently mint doesn't like me. Gah! Off to swap/sell I think!

Edited by maikastar

In the bottle:

Super yummy rich mint ice cream. Not so much the green choc. chip kind, but the rich white choc. chip mint flavor.

Or like others said, thin mint cookies. Soooo yummy.

On my skin:

Vanilla, mint, and.....celery? WTH? Luckily that doesn't last too long. Unfortunately, my skin ate the littleamount I put on, so I think I just need to add a bit more next time. Once it dries down it's mostly vanilla with a hint of mint. Very nice. :D

I also tried it in my locket and it just stays a super wonderful minty vanilla. Not too sweet and just foody enough. This would be perfect all year round. :P

I wouldn't mind picking up an extra bottle.

I bought this bottle when it was available from the lab, and I don't think I ever tried it on my skin. So today was that day.

In the bottle it smells exactly like those white chocolate mint drops you see everywhere around Christmas. I love those things, but I'm not sure how much I want to smell like them.

At application it smells just like the bottle but slightly warmer. Vanilla is coming out more, I didn't smell that much before. It's not the vanilla like Snow White that gives me a headache, it's tempered by coolness of the mint.

After about an hour, it was creamy cool vanilla. The mint was only evident in it's cooling of the vanilla. It was lovely and strong, and I remained aware that I was wearing it without it being all up my nose.

Verdict: This is one I should have tried before. I love vanilla, but so often the vanilla scent in the oils doesn't get on with me, but this is a rare and joyous exception. I see wearing it a lot more in the fall and winter, but it's a keeper.

I received a decant of this as a frimp and I had been wanting to try it. Definitely reminiscent of Lick It, etc. I can also detect that chocolate-y note that others speak of that makes it smell like Girl Scout Cookies Thin Mints. I'm glad to have tried it, but I think the decant will be enough for me. :P

I love Tokyo Stomp even if it is very very similar to the Lick it and Lick it again that I have.

The best discription I can come up with is .. take a mouth full of butter mints ..ad some peppermint patty and a dash of vanilla .. voila Tokyo Stomp! I have noticed that the men folk like this one alot .. Ive gotten many a compliment!

Tokyo Stomp is a great big monster who kicks your butt if you forget to brush your teeth after licking all the frosting off your birthday cake.

I wanted to like it more than I did, since one of the House Lions is named after a character in the Godzilla movies....but alas!

In the bottle this smells like a delicious oreo cookie, with just a hint of mint. Wet, the mint overpowers the cookie scent, so it's all mint with just a hint of chocolate cookie underneath. Dry, it stays true to its bottle scent an smells like a mix between oreos and a thin mint--but there's something in there that's keeping it more complex, and so good! Definitely a keeper!

Oh.My.Guh. YUM.

This was a frimp some time back from a LOVELY seller whose name I unfortunately can't remember. I was a little wary, because normally I don't like mint and vanilla doesn't like me.

In the imp: Why hello, Thin Mints! What are you doing in my BPALs?

Wet: Still Thin Mints. I want to eat my wrist!

Drying: More cookie, less mint. Still very nice.

Later: An interesting, but not really me, warm baked vanilla musk.

Verdict: Don't need a bottle, but absolutely keeping the imp for the wet stage. This is my token foodie BPAL, and I foresee wearing it a lot over the holidays, and maybe in the summer when I'm feeling silly.

I just got my decant in the mail and had to instantly try it. Like before I got in the house with the package. I just had to find this after someone mentioned, "it makes me think of Totoro," on LiveJournal.

from the imp: at first, straight vanilla, and then after a second, the mint jumped out at me like it was trying to surprise me!

wet: straight up, girl scout thin mints. I sold enough of them to know exactly how they smell!

drydown: something a little more pungent pops out, and I really can't place it. Maybe like a dark chocolate with the mint? It's different, but good.

Overall: yummy!

Oh man, I seriously can’t say enough about how much I love Tokyo Stomp. I’ve always been fond of mint, but could never find anything that didn’t smell like chewing gum or tooth paste, so finding Tokyo Stomp is absolutely incredible.

In the imp: Mint and creamy vanilla. I have to agree with everybody else; this smells exactly like those Girl Scout mints. Absolutely delicious.

On me: This is unbelievable. I’ve only ever had this sort of omfgmorenow reaction to a bpal scent before, and that was with El Dia de Reyes (<3!!!). There isn’t much change, other than maybe the vanilla’s a little smoother, and everything just seems creamier. It isn’t cloying sweet though, and despite the vanilla warming this up, the mint stays cool (but not a bite-your-nose-off-cool) and refreshing.

Drydown: Almost no change, apart from the vanilla becoming even creamier. This is going straight into my top five scents. Fairly decent throw, and it’s pretty long-lasting too. Mmm. <3

Minty indeed, with just a tiny vanilla underneath. I find Tokyo Stomp to be a little *too* crisp and minty for my taste. Snowblind is my preferred minty/vanilla scent.

It smells A LOT like those sweet mints you get at restaurants when you get your bill, which I love. XD

I need a bottle of this stuff. T_T

Nom nom nom nom nom nom nom. Glances up from gnawing off arm...

Oh, hi there! This is one delectable foody blend. I did not think that I would like this at all from the description, nor the reviews. But guess what? I do...I love it....I love it a lot! It smells just like Girl Scouts thin mints, in the best imaginable way! Unexpectedly wearable!

Returns to nomming on arm.

:yum:

In the vial: Mint chocolate chip ice cream. Instant love!

Wet: Mint chocolate chip ice cream on waffles! This is making me hungry. :yum:

Dry: Mint chocolate chip candy.

Overall: This is love! :wub2:

ETA: 1 hour into the scent and this has morph into a lovely smell of....burnt plastic. Bleh.

Edited by Ceri

really minty...seriously minty..like exactly what ceri was saying, mint choco chip cookies, candy, ice cream...pudding...jello molds...hah.

this stuff is bright and crisp. makes me wanna chomp down on sum raw. ;)

overall i like it - not in love with it...