Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Poisson d'Avril

Not at all fishy; rather, quite Springy! Innocence spiked with a little bit of foolishness: Lenten rose, crested iris, Virginia bluebell, primrose, moss phlox, blue crocus, daffodil, and dewy tulip with a touch of sugar blossom and honey.

First of all: Oh my word, the bottle label!! I wish I could take a picture of it right now but I don't have the capability. One of my favorite kind of sea creatures is featured on it!

I don't like many florals, but in early spring and on summer nights I like a certain kind of floral that I think is best represented by Phantom Queen, Flower Moon and Black Moon.

This is very much in that vein!

I am not skin testing it yet because I have heavy resins all over me, but I can tell from sniffing it that it is exactly what I was hoping for.

A slightly green floral, with a pungent sweet underlayer of swirling, honeyed heady blooms. Vaguely reminiscent of the jasminey note in Black Moon, but much much softer. Just the right touch of sparkling sweetness over a trampled bed of misty, dew-kissed tender flowers in shades of pale blue, pink, white, gold and lavender, and a hazy veil of green.

A perfect spring floral! Not as powdery as Phantom Queen, a little stronger than Flower Moon but not as strong as Black, it combines all of the things that I like in a floral, under one umbrella. If it ever warms up and stops raining it will truly come to life on my skin as I walk outside, and I can imagine the florals intermingling with the scents of real flowers in the air.

This is beautiful - and I don't normally even like florals. It is light and sweet - nothing cloying about this. I think Beth's description of it being "innocent" is a perfect way to describe this. It is dew kissed springtime blooms. There is a green twist to the florals - like fresh cut stems. Just the right amount of throw too - this would definatly draw me in if I smelled it on someone else. Sure they would probably wonder why I was sniffing them, but it would only be because they smelled so good.

Am so glad I took a chance on this one.

ETA: Just wanted to mention that this has pretty amazing staying power. After 7 hours the little bugger is still going strong - if anything the throw has actually improved.

Edited by Tramp

From this scent I get a picture of a character in some Dickens novel. A young woman who's a street vender selling bunches of her posies to passersby.

Gentle, sweet little florals.

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: There just aren't enough oils with daffodil in them.

In the Bottle: A blast of sweet and heady flowers, warm and inviting.

Wet: Ooh, a lovely crowd of floral goodness...still warm, after spring has taken a firm hold. I can tell the honey is in there, but it's blending well with the flowers.

Drydown: Not much morph in this one for me. The flowers are so thoroughly blended that I can't pick one out over another. This is sweeter than Flower Moon or Beltane, less fruity that the Hanging Gardens, richer that Euphrosyne and Eos. Me likey.

Verdict: Keeper! :P

:P

In the bottle: Sweet florals. There's a nice mix in here; nothing stands out too much. Not cloying or sharp.

Wet on skin: Same. My skin amps up the sweetness a little bit, though, which is very nice. This is all floral, nothing fruity or sugary about it whatsoever. Surprisingly nice.

Dry on skin: It smells the same, but it's lighter somehow. Very feminine and sweet. As before, there's nothing fruity or sugary about it, but it's still sweet.

Verdict: After the disaster with my last CD/LE order (ordered five bottles, sold four of them and only kept Bakeneko), I was a bit guarded. This is really beautiful on me, though. Definitely a keeper!

Like sticking your face in a bouquet of mixed spring flowers, complete with little wisps of green leaves and ferns. It has that green tinge that I think is so pleasantly warm and natural. There is such a nice mix of flowers too....ones that seem to regularly play the role of the "support" to other more popular floral notes. But my favorite flower is tulip and I'm so glad that it's standing out in this one.

Honestly, the honey never makes an appearance here and I'm glad. The lack of sweetness is refreshing and really makes the crispness of the florals come out. This is completely non-sweet on me and I love it that way. Just bunches of daffodils and tulips.

I can't believe that I don't even notice the rose....try as I might I can't even smell it here. I'm thrilled about that b/c that means my skin can show off the other florals.

The bottle label is so breathtaking, one of my favorites ever.

I actually got this bottle for my mom as a mother's day present (along with her requested moon rose). Definitely a bright spring floral scent. All the notes blend pretty well into each other. Like others, I really don't pick up on the honey...and I'm sort of hoping it won't show up on my mother either! But overall I get the feeling of dandelion and perhaps the bluebell? I'm not sure if that's bluebell but of the notes listed that's the only one I can think it is.

Light, bright, and feminine...so glad I got this for my mother, I think she's going to love it! It's a perfect spring scent...and will work well this summer too as she wanders around Paris.

This is lovely! Poisson is a lovely mixed boquet of florals, the scent of an April garden. I can pick out a little tulip when its wet and a little daffodil when its dry but otherwise this is well-blended with none of the notes taking over at any time. I don't get any sugar and just a hint of honey when its dry. Poisson is a light, skin clinging scent. I'm very happy I got a bottle in my last order! :P

Poisson D'Avril is the scent of a Spring bouquet. I smelled rose when I first applied it but now I smell all the flowers except the rose, not that I'm complaining. I can't smell the honey at all, but that's good since it would have made it too sweet. This would be the perfect pick-me-up scent for a rainy day or a cold and snowy day in the dead of winter when you're anxious for Spring.

I like this so much that I may buy a second bottle before it disappears.

Love the jellyfish on the label!

This could become a favorite. It's just right for that between-ness of early spring. :P

I definitely get tulip in here, and daffodil. I second the thought that we need more blends with daffodil! There's almost an aquatic feel---must be those spring fish! Very light and pretty spring floral, delicate and creamy. It's one of the best florals I've tried, playing nicely with my skin chemistry and being very coy, sweet and innocent, with just a hint of warmth. Very well-blended, with no really in-your-face or dominant notes.

Poisson d'Avril

Flowers, flowers, flowers. I can't pick out any particular kind, just springy flowers. It goes a tiny bit soapy/powdery on me, but not in the terribly sharp way that some florals do.

In the bottle, Poisson is a beautiful vibrant spring floral.

On my skin, the fresh floral is still primary. The honey is coming out and warming everything up. It makes me think of my mother's flowerbed when it's being lit by the morning sun.

Verdict: I've been wanting a spring floral, and this is it! Absolutely perfect.

I was holding my breath on this one. I HAD to love it. My husband and I were married on April Fools, so the day holds a lot of meaning for us.

This scent, sorry, is just so fricking CUTE. It's bright and cheery and duh, springy (of course), but it's just so damned adorable. Like a little stuffed turtle -or jellyfish- you just want to give it a big hug. It's bottled giddiness and silliness and cuddles. (Which totally sums up our marriage. :P ) It's a little sweet, but mostly just bright and floral and sunny and fun. This is a mood-enhancer. I simply can't see myself wearing this and feeling blue.

So YAY! This is beyond all my expectations and desires. This is perfectly April Fools. Me LOVEY!

Edited by Spacekitty

In the bottle - Gentle, green floral. Not overpowering to my nose, as many BPAL scents are at first.

Wet on skin - I smell like a dewy-wet flower bouquet on a crisp spring morning. I can't pick out individual florals because they blend so well together. I was wary of the rose being the first on the list b/c rose generally reminds me of old lady perfume, but this is the opposite of old lady. Smells so young and fresh. Behind the floral, there's a hint of a green, damp, mossy scent. Not very sweet... it's innocent but not boring.

Drydown - it turns sweeter with time, but amazingly, it doesn't go sugary on my skin. I can smell maybe a hint of the honey, but not too sweet at all. The green notes fade away, and I'm left with warm, floral happiness. It lasts forever too! I'm in heaven.

:P

I have a feeling that this is going to be one of those BPAL oils that ages beautifully. Straight from the bottle it's very light and springy and stays that way on the drydown. There's no powder, no cloying sharpness, just a nice sunny fresh cut floral that makes me smile.

Love the lable, too.

Oh, YES! I swapped for a bottle of this at a Meet 'n Sniff last weekend and couldn't keep my nose away from it for much of the afternoon. I told everyone I had to smell my Fish. :D

In bottle: Wet spring florals, very bright and intense.

On wet: It gentled a little, and the sugar and honey notes came out, but just a tiny bit. This is fresh and sweet and happy-bouncy stuff! I can smell all the flowers in the bouquet, but they're beautifully balanced. Fortunately the rose does not overpower.

Dry: This stays very consistent, doesn't morph much, which is a-ok with me. Poisson is above all a very happy, feel-good scent, a perfect pick-me-up for Spring. The throw and staying power are both fairly good, and this is from someone with scent-eating skin. :D

I am SO glad I got a bottle after all! :P

This is a mishmash of florals on me. I can't identify any on their own, though I know there's rose in here because my skin tends to amp that one. I don't get any of the honey.

This is pretty powdery. Not really my cuppa.

There's so much gorgeous in this bottle I could just plotz.

First, the bottle. Prettiest BPAL label in my collection! I would LOVE to have a babydoll shirt based on this one *hint*

Then there's the contents. Oh dear.

In the bottle, I get phlox, bluebell, tulip (!), and a bit of sugary sweetness.

Wet on my skin, daffodils! I love the daffodils! The phlox is still there, and an almost cotton candy sugar bubbles up underneath, just barely there.

On drydown, this just becomes one smooth blending of lovely florals, sweetened by a touch of honey, and the honey itself doesn't have the sharpness I associate with the BPAL note at all, more of a creamed honey.

This is a happy, sunny spring day, when the weather's perfect, the kind of spring day that make slogging through winter completely worth it. I've been drenching myself in this ever since I got it, and I am completely in love!

Poisson d'Avril - When I first applied this, I thought it was going to be a really strong, heady floral, but it settled down very quickly, becoming a sweet, smooth, light, lovely, springtime floral. The honey really tempers the floral sweetness, keeping this scent from being too powerful. It's overtly feminine and makes me think of springtime tea parties (with hats, gloves, the whole shebang) in a pretty flower garden. The scent has a lovely level of sillage and the wear length is about average.

An absolutely beautiful spring/summer scent. Admittedly I'm IN LOVE and I'm not a floral fan! The mix of notes is just delightful. I wore it today and was complimented a number of time. It does have a Jasmine (? not sure) undertone and I love it! Throw is great, smell is great staying power great!

POISSON D'AVRIL

In Bottle: Spring floral

On Skin: Another super springlike scent! In the same family as Ostara but sweeter and much more floral. Which makes sense since they share daffodil, blossoms, honey, and rose. I can smell the bluebells and crocus, those gorgeous spring blooms. This is a great room scent as well if you instantly want to have flowers scenting the area… just like a fresh bouquet. Rose and iris don’t always work on me, but the honey here sweetens them and keeps their sour and bitter notes in check. Perfumey and very feminine. Light throw and short wearlength, great for a scent locket.

In the bottle: flowery, fresh, kind of green. I can't think of any better words to describe it, but it's pretty.

Wet: flowers lightly dipped in honey. Honey always kind of scares me, but it behaves itself here.

Dry: okay, my wrists still smell like the honey-dipped flowers, but the insides of my elbows smell like the best flowers on earth. Which note or notes are doing that? Wow. It kind of reminds me of Gap Dream, which I believe is mostly orange blossom and freesia, but neither of those are in here. I keep sniffing my arm.

Unfortunately the throw isn't great and it's fading kind of fast, but it smells so good that I don't care. I'm glad I bought this.

This is a very lovely, light, feminine floral. The florals in this are beautifully blended, so it's sort of like a generalized spring bouquet scent. I think if I had to pick one, the tulips are the strongest note on me. This is a yellow/light pink scent for me, and even though the hubbie loves this, it's undeniably lady like. This doesn't have much throw at all, but most florals rally don't last at all on my skin. I think fans of Beltane will like this.

This is such a pretty springtime floral and so unlike anything I'd usually go for. It's ultra feminine, but the florals here are the olfactory equivalents of bright colors.. no pretty pastels in this bunch. I was surprised that it had such light throw and wear length.. In spite of how bonny it is, this isn't a blend for me.

straight sniff from imp is springtime in a bottle :P

once applied the scent, while apparent, is very gentle and breezy...

the florals are subdued and lovely...excellent combination of notes :D