Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Minotaur

The Bull of Minos, guardian of the Labyrinth in Knossos. A deep, swarthy black musk dusted by a dark, resinous blend of sacred bisabol myrrh, atramentous benzoin, tsori, balsam, and galbanum.

This is sweet black musk and golden ritual resins on my skin. A smoky incense-like scent, dusty and dark. Very natural smelling-too, indeed as if there were some earth note involved. It does make me think of a labyrinth - a winding, dark passage, echoing and softly scented by the resins burning in the depths at the end of the path.

I'm extremely happy to own a bottle of this, and I will be looking forward to seeing it age for a while I think.

eta: I wore this out today. I slathered it on, and as I was walking down the sunny street in my jeans I definately felt "overdressed" scentwise! It was way too dark to wear out on a sunny day heading for some ice cream. I just thought I'd add that to my review. It's definately one to go easy on the application with, and perhaps more of a night/date perfume. Edited by Shollin

I can be fairly long-winded in my reviews, especially of scents I love, but so much has already been said about Minotaur, and I can only concur. This is a resin-lover's dream. Deep, cthonic, with a feral edge. Its absolutely beautiful.

No bull: Minotaur is indeed a great resin blend. It reminds me a bit of Jacob's Ladder (galbanum and benzoin). I prefer this perfume because the "saliva" undertone is not as noticeable. Although Minotaur is fairly dark and heavy, I think it will work in the summer - the wearer will be an animate stick of burning incense.

Very interesting morph happening for me with this one.

Early, while wet, I thought I was trying a different blend from what everyone else has described, but I think what happened is that my skin amps galbanum. It was sharp and green, slightly floral, and very definitely not swarthy. I didn't think I liked it at all.

Fortunately, galbanum is a top note and as it began to fade, the musk and spices and resins emerged -- quite beautifully. I began to understand the comparisons to Schwarzer and Mama-ji, and have decided that I love this. I just need to remember to apply it 15 minutes or so before I go out. As it ages on the skin, the galbanum seems to do no more than keep the blend from being too dark.

I'm counting on this one aging beautifully.

A dark, dark, dark scent -- definitely more black musk than anything. I can see the much-remarked similarities to Schwarzer Mond, but of the two I like Schwarzer Mond better. In this one, the musk is a bit over-the-top for me -- I'd have preferred less of the musk and more of the incense resins. It's certainly not bad, though, and the initial musk onslaught does begin to fade after a while, letting the other notes come out to play.

At first I was bewildered by the review that mentioned Mama-Ji, but as it develops, I'm starting to see it... Nothing anywhere near the floral notes in that, but it seems to have a touch of some similar spiciness. A little reminiscent of Khandita on that front, too. I am definitely liking it much more it settles in.

The long-range scent is a slightly powdery, spicy musk. Quite nice, really, though a bit too similar to a few scents I already have for me to want to track down a bottle. I do think it would probably work equally well on a man as a woman -- possibly better, even, though beyond the initial musk blast it's pretty female-friendly as well.

Grade: B+

Ok, well, what to say about this.

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous times a bajillion, I think.

I can't imagine I'll ever use a whole bottle of anything, but this makes me wish I'd been able to order another bottle.

In the bottle, sweet and dark, very clovey. On my skin, it's dark and resinous, the clove dies down a bit. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it's wonderful and comforting and deep. Like incense being burned on a mahogany table, and some hot and sweet drink that probably only exists in dreams.

I loooove this :P

It starts off very dark and musky, then as it dries it lightens up a bit and gets a lot more resinous and spicy, which I like a lot. I don't care much for the wet stage, but dry this is absolutely lovely.

I wish I'd taken a chance and ordered a full bottle of this for myself, instead of a decant. Resins usually do well on me, but the black musk had me worried a bit. I needn't have worried. This goes on strong, but quickly fades to a rich, dark resiny musk that's sexy and spicy and comforting all at the same time. I don't mind it when it is strong, so I wouldn't mind if it stayed that way. It does fade down a bit so it's almost like a skin scent, but then again, I think my skin is eating most scents today.

I may have to break my 'don't spend a bunch of money' rule to try and hunt down a bottle of this. It's so, so nice.

Dark, soft, rich, deep, a little sweet-spicy, thick like a velvet throw under your hand. Dark brown velvet, almost black. Of the earth without being a dirt scent, chthonic in the mythic sense.

Definitely reminds me of Schwarzer Mond, which is another all-time favorite. I am so happy I ordered two bottles. I will use them.

Damn. Damndamndamn. Don't know if it's myrrh, am beginning to suspect it's benzoin, but something in this turns into deep, rich, smokey incencey...baby powder.

It should be so dark, and rich and velvety and gorgeous. But my chemistry does something stupid.

Damn.

Have I said that already?

Minotaur

In the bottle: ohhh, it's like Schwarzer Mond meets Jacob's Ladder, with added black musk. mmm.

Wet on skin: ohh, oh wow, spicy resinous dark musk!

Dry on skin: wow. Deep, rich, dark, mysterious and warm. Dark sweet resins and dark musk. this is very much like Schwarzer, but without the patchouli and with a sleek black musk to it. there's also a hint of something glimmering and golden to it, reminiscent of Jacob's Ladder, but with a darker undertone. The myrrh in here reminds me of Priala, in that it's a little bit spicy (though not like cinnamon) and reminds me of opopanax, it's a sweet myrrh. It pulls you in, luring you into the darkness. It also feels very ancient, like it could be a sacred incense blend burnt in one of the Minoan temples.

After a while: oh, this is still good. Now it starts to remind me a little bit of the Ecstasy of Passion, there's a hint of something perfumey to it (in a good way), probably thanks to the galbanum. Almost regal, in fact. Now it smells a little bit more like a glittering layer of gold over a rich, pulsing, slightly feral but warmly sweet musk base, a contrast of light and shadow. It makes me think of a dark labyrinth, where the only light to guide you through is a small lamp lending a golden tint to the shadowy depths, but you feel something, a presence, lurking round the corner. It feels powerful but not threatening. The scent ends off beautifully as a warm black musk, not as sweet or oily as the usual black musks, but with a crumbly topping of loose resins, a mix of golden resins and dark ones smouldering gently, heavy and brooding but civilised as well. It reminds me of Schwarzer without the patchouli or strong amber. As it dries even more, the myrrh becomes the strongest note, and what a fabulous myrrh note this is!

Verdict: the myth of the Minotaur was one of the first I learnt about as a kid, and the Minoan civilisation has fascinated me for a long time, even more so when I visited Knossos for real. So I'm really glad that not only does this work on me, but it is so wonderful that I want to hoard lots of it. It is the lovechild of Schwarzer Mond and Jacob's Ladder with hints of other black musk and myrrh blends to it, a masterpiece in resins and musk. It feels strong and has a real presence to it, a potent scent that feels like it should be experienced, meditated on, revered. More like a scent of a virile and mighty bull god, the kind that would have been worshipped in the temples of ancient Crete, with an offering of incense, than a frightening mythical bull-man monster (though despite it's hints at being masculine, this is very unisex). It is incredibly dark, not dirty but definitely chthonic, but with a sheen of gold to it. It is dominated by a marvellous musk note, powerful yet dignified, not as syrupy as some black musk notes can be, and a sweet and sticky and rich myrrh, with the other resins adding a touch of light to it. this is indeed a resin lovers dream, though totally different to the usual frankincense and myrrh blends, this feels more occult and mysterious. Like the labyrinth where the Minotaur dwells, it is a scent that one can get lost in. Beth does her resinous/musky scents so well, they are always so strong and profound and well structured, and this is going to age magnificently, I can't see what happens to this over time. Magnificent.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Yes! Just imagine what a bit of age will do to this scent! Glad I have two more bottles on the way!

If you like this, try: Jacob's Ladder, Priala, Khandita, Hecate, Black Phoenix, Lycaon, Schwarzer Mond, Ecstasy of Passion

Minotaur really is like a cross between Jacob's Ladder and Schwarzer Mond! :P I have an ongoing love affair with galbanum, so I was all atwitter about this one---and I'm not disappointed. It's lovely, dark and deep. With something glistering in the dark. Or hot resin-on-resin action.

There is something ancient, musky, and hypnotic about Minotaur as it wafts about in the air around me. It's the kind of mythic and mysterious BPAL experience I'm used to, but which never ceases to amaze and move me.

Oooooo!!!!! The first time I tried this (thanks to the lovely fountaingirl frimping me a sample!) my body chemistry was wonky and it was a bit too sharp (was craving the Candy Butcher right then, if that tells you anything...twas a PMS time....LOL!)

But NOW?? Pure resin LOVE/LUST!!!!!! Oooo, this is so good I can bearly even type to TELL you how good it is! The musk gives a warm base, but its the blend of sharp, sexy resins that bowl me over and make my eyelids flutter! I can see how a person who's skin eats scent might get baby powder out of this, as it DOES have a softness to it, but as someone who burns pure resin incense regularly.....woah! I love it....LOVE it! Happily I have hit the decant left-over sales and will end up with a full (if thrown together from a few different decants) bottle of this. YAY!!!!

This will age so well!!!! It'll be one of those "hide your bottle, or your friends will steal it"! scents!!!

:D :P

ADDED Oct. 19:

WHAT!? I've not reviewed Minotaur yet?!!!!!!!

This is my all time uber favorite, holy grail, go-to, must have scent!!!

The resins are sexy, swarthy, and yet-sweet. The copal mixing with the black musk utterly slays me!

It never really morphs much on me except to deepen and darken slightly.

Throw is a perfect medium.....not excessive, but not "omg, must get down to the wrist to smell".

And weartime?......ages!

I feel spiritual (copal and frankincense type incenses always lift me up that way) and yet completely feral and sexy (mmmmmm......musk!) Perfect!

Want more!!!!!!

:D :)

ARgh....I Have reviewed this one! my icon, for some reason is messing up so I didn't see my previous post.....

Help mods.....how do I delete this review???

Edited by Shollin

oh my goodness. i’ve died and gone to incense heaven.

this incense isn’t churchy, and it's not hippie. it’s heavy and resinous and dark, but also warm and slightly sweet. i haven’t tried schwartzer mond for comparison (but i think i need to!)

definitely one of my favorite incense blends, right up there with my beloved athens and the pit and the pendulum.

MINOTAUR 07

In Bottle: Light resins

On Skin: Wow, I love resinous blends. But they tend to be heavy and I have a BUNCH of them, so I decided to skip ordering this one as a bottle and just try an imp. I should have gotten a bottle. While it is resinous, it’s very light and soft. Yes, the black musk is quite deep and swarthy, but it is countered by the freshness of the balsam. Others have compared it to Schwarzer Mond and I agree… just a lighter version of it. Schwarzer mond is sweeter and stickier whereas this is lighter and softer… like skin musk and velvet. Very incensy and very gorgeous. I love this scent and could see both men and women wearing it. Medium throw and long wearlength.

imp: Smells AMAZING! Like Snake Charmer with pine instead of vanilla.

on: sadly, it goes all soapy on the Hubby. :P

ETA--and powdery on me.

Edited by Dinerdulcinea

:D

Dead from all the resiny goodness. This is a wonderful resin blend, I knew I would love it. Definitely in the Scwarzer Mond 'family', although it's definitely a bit smoother and more refined (I think this is because of the wonderful myrrh- it's a similar myrrh to that which is in Priala, I'm sure). There is a tiny bit of powderiness but it's not overwhelming and I actually like it- it keeps the blend from going over the edge dark on me. I loooove this one and I'm glad I ordered two bottles. Between this, Lycaon, Jacob's Ladder, Schwarzer and Mr. Jaquel, I have all the lovely resiny goodness I'll ever need. I'm one happy girl right now.

:P

Edited by euterpe414

I had to try this after all of the rave reviews, but I'm not really crazy about Minotaur. In the imp vial it smells like a not-as-lush and more perfumey version of Priala. On my skin, it's perfumey-sharp and powdery. I love the smooth, sweet resin blends like Midnight Mass. I love Priala's dark, thick qualities.

Minotaur is sharp and musky more than resinous on me. In the drydown, it even turns intensely soapy, which I'm not used to resin/incense blends doing. If I had to guess at the notes in this, I honestly would have figured it was a perfumey floral blend with some powdery incense in the background at first. The drydown is sharp floral soap.

Not for me. This one is headache inducing.

This is the lovechild of Schwartzer Mond and Antony. Unfortunately, whatever note this shares with the latter turns to powder on me. (Myrrh?) Off to swaps....

ETA: Four hours later, this has turned to, of all things, a sweetish coffee-chocolate scent with incense behind. It's very lovely, slightly reminiscent of Pinched With Four Aces without the cinnamon, and to me still not worth suffering through several hours of baby powder for. *sigh*

Edited by tau

In the vial: Darkness personafied. All smoke, benzoin and balsam.

On me: Oh gods yes! I wish I had a bottle of this. It's all resins and smoke, reminded me of Brimstone but without the ashes at first. It reminds me of musky anger in a bottle. It's sex, darkness and yum all at the same time!

Minotaur bears similarities to Saturn and Schwarzer Mond on my skin. It is a very brown scent, someone above called it "swarthy" and I think that is a great description. On wet, the scent is almost mouth-puckeringly dry, but the drydown gets better and better. I've been wearing it now for about five hours and it is now sweet and brown, resinous and lovely. I think this will work well on Mr Bagfish too!

I only got a decant of this and I don't think I'll need more, but I will enjoy wearing Minotaur whilst I have it.

Wet this is musk, myrrh and resins. Deep, dark and sweet. A bit like Athens. When first on it's very much like Athens- strong myrrh and sweet herbs. This is bold and dark. This stays pretty true to the wet stage on me. It melds perfectly with my skin- as if it's coming out of my skin rather than sitting on top of it. This is gorgeous!! :P It's like a cross between Athens and Schwarzer Mond. This is a must try for anyone who loves myrrh, musks or resins!

This imp came my way because although I didn't think it sounded like something I'd go for, I thought my already BPAL-enabled workmate might go for it (:

In the imp, it's all dark and resiny. I don't know that I could tell you what all the components smell like individually, but all together, they're a dark swarthy melange of resins.

Wet on skin, it's still dark and resiny. I went and looked up atramenous, and inky does fit with the dark and resiny thing, especially if said inkiness were also to include that slightly viscous feel also?

Once dry, it's sweeter than when dry. I gather this might be the effect of the benzoin? It still smells swarthy, but sweeter than before. I think I'd enjoy it much more if it were on a boy, rather than on me, but it's not likely to be something that would appeal to the DH. Hey, at least it's already got a happy home to move to!

Wet: Whoa, that is some awesomely dark musk-n-myrrh.

First on: Deep, dark musk and myrrh, with a bit of benzoin. Not picking up anything else (though I can't say I know for sure what tsori smells like).

Dry: Sweet, smoky complex resins. It gets spicy as it dries, but also seems to lose its throw. But, this is gorgeous. A runner up to my favored Priala and Schwarzer Mond.

Edited by Shollin