Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Minotaur

The Bull of Minos, guardian of the Labyrinth in Knossos. A deep, swarthy black musk dusted by a dark, resinous blend of sacred bisabol myrrh, atramentous benzoin, tsori, balsam, and galbanum.

It's a resin bonanza for me this month! I have no idea what most of these resins are, but bring it on!

The bottle is gorgeous, with a straight-on portrait of Mr. Minotaur flaring his nostrils at me. He means business.

In the bottle, reminds me very much of Schwarzer Mond, but a little darker and spicier. It has that wonderful quality that incensy-resins sometimes have, where it takes me back to a childhood in the 70s when mom was burning frankincense and doing yoga.

Deep, thick, dark, spicy resinous smoky incense. The amber-colored globules of hardened resins are collected in little wooden boxes with lattice patterns cut into them. A little light filters in through stained-glass windows. Not a religious incense like Cathedral though, this is for darker rituals. A circle of people gathered in a darkened room tracing a circle on the floor, ringing bells and wielding wands.

It is very much a resiny incense blend that one might expect to find in a high quality occult shoppe, and therefore it is one of the best things EVER for my tastes! It is considerably different from Schwarzer Mond as it dries -- much darker and deeper, stronger myrrh and more burnt-smelling resins than crystalline ones.

You absolutely have to have this if you like resins. You must.

You absolutely have to have this if you like resins. You must.

I completely agree! Specifically, to anyone who likes myrrh: Try this.

It's sweet, smoky, and deep. It has a little bit of that sticky resin scent at first, but it smooths out when it's drying. To be honest, it smells just like sarada described it, and I can't improve on her review. :P

I got an extra bottle to put in a dark drawer for a year or two, and I'm really glad I did. I can't wait to find out what this is going to smell like after it's aged.

This is my favorite of the Lunacy blends so far this year.

In bottle: Myrrh + galbanum = 'song in a puddle.

On me: Oh, this is good. Oh *man*. This is the very heart of the Labyrinth; this is who the Minotaur is when he's at home. Dark and resinous and lush. Nestlike. *gibbers* If you like resinous scents, get this before it goes away. This is a cousin of Schwarzer Mond.

A lot of times I revise my reviews, but I want to add my impressions of this while it's still available. I may edit later.

At first I was afraid Minotaur was powdery. I tried it straight out of the mailbox, even though I should know better. I think the oils sometimes get travel-shock or something. Anyway, I let it rest over night and tried it again.

This is utterly gorgeous, and different on me than the reviews so far. For me, something sweet in here is amping way up. Maybe the myrrh is really sweet. The overall effect is close to powdery, but it's more like a luminous honey dust or sweet gold powder....NOT like baby powder though. It does strike me as masculine. It's like a smooth, thrumming, glowing scent with power held in check. I can sense the darkness that the others mentioned here, and agree that there is some similarity to Schwarzer Mond. For me it's more like Penitence than Midnight Mass, if that helps at all. But Penitence was very powdery for me, and this is slightly more....I don't know, polished or something. It has just the right amount of throw, not too strong but definitely there.

I just love this.....I really am not sure I'll wear it often. It's more like a special occasion scent to me, not an everyday scent. But I agree that this will most likely deepen and improve with aging. It's wonderful!

My skin has been eating up most scents lately, so Minotaur isn't as intense on me as it seems to have been for previous reviewers ... but it is long-lasting. I love it! I agree that it seems like it will age marvelously ~ and I have to get myself another bottle ASAP. This is a beautiful resiny blend that's spicy and sweet but not too sweet; rich and warm and, at least for me, very wearable and comforting. I get the "luminous honey dust or sweet gold powder" feel that Forspecial Plate refers to, as well.

Just a wonderful blend, and if you love resins you must get a bottle before it's gone. :P

Reminds me a bit of Schwarzer Mond, but more--threatening? Instead of the 'almost sparkling' note that I get from Schwarzer Mond (is that the amber? It somehow kind of reminds me of rootbeer), this has a hardness to it. This scent is no-nonsense & unbending, but there seems to be a warmth underneath, and a tad of sweetness that has me hooked. I imagine this is what Dr. Cox from Scrubs would smell like. :P

So glad I ordered another bottle last night.

Oh, Minotaur... you are everything I had worried hoped you would be! I can basically only concur with what everyone has said... this IS a resin lover's deeeee-light. Powerful, strong, masculine- but still entirely wearable. This is the kind of nostalgic, incense-quality scent that sends my heart aflutter, like Gaueko. Someone described this as "ancient", and I think that's perfect.

However! I DID get the poof!powder problem when I excitedly tried it on my skin immediately from arrival. I'll admit, I jumped the gun on a review instead of testing a few more times because I want people to get an idea while it's still available. Worry not; this isn't a game-over baby powder ending, but a soft, warming powder. Still strong, still resinous. I believe this will age finely... and let me say, it is MARVELOUS in a scent locket. I am coveting this and buying mutliples bottles before it disappears :::longing sigh::: :P

in the bottle:carnations? something is wonky w. my nose i swear. i am gussing it is the myrrrh making my nose think carnations

wet:deep black musk, and myrrh, the carnation feel is gone as soon as it hits my skin, and it becomes prominently musk

as this dries it is a musky, myrrh, w/ a hint of balsam. a dark swarthy scent, gorgeous and mysterious.

oh just adding i don't get teh masculine thing, this is just a deep resinous scent, and some of us gals sport it w/o feeling at all masculine *shrugs*

Edited by shelldoo

This is definitely a dark, deep scent--I have to concur with the people who mentioned its similarity to Schwarzer Mond, I think it has that same sort of coke/Dr. Pepper feel (but in a good way!) when wet, but that seems to disappear after it dries--then it's all black resiny goodness, with a bit of sweetness on top. I might discontinue my search for Schwarzer, in fact--this is close enough for me!

A very dark, sexy, scent with an almost Victorian feel to it. I'm picturing a library with a roaring fire, shelves of dark wood lined with books, smoking jackets and brandy snifters. It's that kind of scent. The resins here are gorgeous, and there is a sort of nutty/sarsaparilla thing going on.

This is probably my favorite "new" scent in a long, long time ...

Wet it smells EXACTLY like Tushnamatay to me (which is my very favorite catalogue scent and on my Top 3 all-time BPAL list) ...

On drydown though there is some sort of strangely sweet scent (I guess I'd agree with those who are calling it powdery) that keeps it from being perfect. I know there are a few other scents that have that same drydown on me but I am not sure which note it is ...

A few hours later, though, that powder is gone and the initial goodness lingers on for hours.

A definite keeper which I will be reaching for a lot.

RE-REVIEWED MARCH 10, 2014: (With a note that I'm shocked to see a review from 2007. I really thought I had not reviewed anything between summer 2005 and winter 2013).

Reacquired some of this and testing from an imp.

IN THE IMP: Deeply musky myrrh.

WET: Fantabulous. Resiny, bright and golden. The myrrh is predominant but sweet, not sweaty.

DRYDOWN: Just a little too much myrrh for me now, making it TOO sweet and powdery.

OVERALL: This is really interesting for me. I was not able to identify the myrrh in my original review. And, without sharing TMI (okay, sharing TMI), I started menopause in the late summer of 2007. Since then, there are definitely notes that react completely differently with my body chemistry and myrrh is one of them. It amps much more than it used to and, when applied to the crook of my arm, can sometimes smell like dirty sweatsocks. I actually like myrrh but not as much as I used to and only in small doses. Minotaur is not a small dose.

It is also possible that the sheer age of this oil, almost seven years old, has made the myrrh age and get even more predominant.

On a scale of 1-5, about a 4.

Edited by JazzieCazzie

This starts off sweet. I get load of balsam wet, but as it settles it gets drier and much less sweet. After ten minutes or so it is all spice and resin. I'm not sure what note is screaming spice to my nose though. hmmmm.

I do not get the schwarzer mond references though. to my nose the only similarity is the darkness ans the depth

To me this is more midnight mass without the woods..

it gets better and better as it settles into my skin :P

it gets better and better as it settles into my skin :)

OOOHHH yes! I bought a bottle of Minotaur unsniffed, based on the notes and reviews. And then I went back and bought another bottle, unsniffed because I was afraid I would love it and would not be able to go back for more.

This blend is like the love child between Smut and O, but with something darker at its base, something even sexier and harsher but smoooooth. :P :D

I am embarrassed to admit how I am with this scent. I have used my first bottle down to just above the label. I haven't even gotten my second. I am .... :D I am going in search of a third. Two won't be enough with this, it is that good.

I thought that Minoutaur would not be for me but I bought a bottle of it anyway. I am so glad I did.

I agree with some who say it reminds them of Schwarzer Mond, but only because they're in a similar "family". The drydown is very different and I don't get a headache from Minoutaur like I do with Schwarzer.

The resins in this are the most gorgeous combination and it wears so well on my skin. It stays true, too. The myrrh doesn't even go wonky on my skin like it does in other myrrh blends. This one is going to age beautifully. I will definitely keep my bottle.

As I took my first sniff I started to breathe in and just instinctively opened my nostrils wider to get a bigger taste - making me look exactly like the bottle label. It made me chuckle as the bottle is sitting across from me on my desk, staring me down.

This is a big BIG scent. Big and heavy and hot and ballsy. I wouldn't say it's masculine (although I will be trying this on the dude later)... but it's got a nice big shot of testosterone. I like sixthsentinel's use of the word "threatening". It's that, but I also get a little bit of a confrontation. Instead of just, "Don't F with me" - it's also a little bit of, "Come on, F with me - I DARE YOU".

It's sexy (obviously), and dark and heavy (like other reviewers have said). But one word that keeps beating around in my brain - and I apologize - is 'PENETRATING'. To me, this is a club scent. This is the kind of BPAL scent I would have hated in the first year of my BPAL experience when I was more into foodie vanillas and fruity florals (not that I'm NOT into those anymore. I've just since branched out.), but now - holy balls - all this resin is making my heart skip.

minotaur.jpg

After seeing an amazing picture of the Minotaur charging at Theseus as a kid, I've always been fascinated by him, so I just had to get this.

In Bottle: Deep, dark incensey musk.

On Skin: My skin and my nose love resins, and as expected, this is perfect. Darkly sensual.

Dry: A bit like The Great He-Goat without the ginger. I understand the masculine bit, luckily though that works on me and doesn't make me smell like Conan, just like someone who's been in a temple making lots of incense offerings. I'm going to let this age now and see how much beautiful it turns out.

Love the artwork too!

Yum, dark incensy goodness on me. It does remind me of my beloved Schwarzer Mond, but yet it is very different. Too bad I'm not better at reviews. Does the fact that I want a third bottle emphasize my love for it? :P

It is darkly beautiful, and reminds me of what would happen if Schwartzer Mond and Mama-ji mated and had babies.

However, it has the same heady incense note as Mama-ji did, that gives me a headache on drydown. I can tolerate it, and I will hold on to the bottle, but I will be sparing with it.

Bottle: heavy and resinous

Wet: dark and myrrhlicious

Dry: I can detent a deep evergreeny under the myrrh, and another resin (but I''m not sure if I'm catching the benzoin or the galbanum, I'm less familiar with both of them and I'm not sure I can pick them out in a crowd)

Later: this is actually rather dark and strong for me, and I don't often make that sort of statement. (I'm keeping this and aging it, of course, I think it'll mellow for me a bit) there is a sharpness here that while it doesn't smell like frankincense does bring that resin strongly to mind. it's fascinating, though, I'm looking forward to checking back with it after a little time.

This was my pleasant surprise at the recent MnS--I thought the black musk would roar through and destroy the Minotaur on me so i didn't even bother with a decant let alone a bottle. However, i took a chance and tried it at the MnS and was glad to have tried it.

When it first dried down it became a light but deeply resinous blend with some spice almost like a light frankincense on me...and then on extreme dry down it became Nag Champa (but in a very good way) on me! completely not what I was expecting but pleased to have tried it nonetheless. :P

Edited by Lunaratu

straight sniff from bottle is somewhat similar to my beloved schwartzer but less intense...

this is a gorgeous, deeply resinous with deep dark musk...

once applied this has a sweet edge to it and very incensey...i love this to pieces :P

Oh, a strong, deep, dark, swirling resin blend. Smokey, sort of a mish mosh of resins, but I can't really pick out individual notes. My nose is confused, because I can't decide if this is masculine or feminine, so it must be unisex. This goes quite powdery on me, and it smells a bit like amber on the dry down. I think this would be very sexy on the right man, but it just doesn't quite work on me.

This is quite strong and long lasting; unfortunately, just not quite my thing.

Gorgeous. Absolutely frickin GORGEOUS. I've managed to track down two bottles, thank god, because I could just drown myself in a vat of this one.

Deep, dark, mysterious resins and smoky incense. This is powerful, slightly sweet, and spiritual, but not in a church way. It stays true on me from bottle to skin.

So much love for Minotaur!

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Swarthy.

In the imp: Eep. Black musk. Black musk and I have a strained relationship.

On skin, wet: Swarthy and deep indeed! A very spicy, incensey black musk.

On skin, dry: Dank, almost damp, and very earthy. Dirty. The sort of dark earthiness that usually accompanies blends with black or red patchouli.

Conclusion: This is the kind of scent that leaves an acrid taste in the back of one's throat; the kind of scent that one can taste as distinctly as if you'd licked the oil from the skin. It should go without saying that I like neither the taste of perfume nor those sorts of scents.