Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
requieminblack

Monster Bait: Bloody Mary

Why waste time chanting her name in the mirror 13 times? Bedevil your next slumber party the easy way! Chunky, glistening red fruits with sweet cream accord, black clotted cherry, and powdered sugar!

Sugary goodness, the raspberry fades rather quickly on my skin leaving behind a lush expanse of fruited sugar. I smell like luxury candy and I cannot quit sniffing my wrists! The artwork on the bottle is beautiful too.

When I read the description of this, I though now why would I want that? I don't like fruit scents.

But because I'm greedy and want to try everything, I managed to get a decanted imp. Of course I loved it!

To me, this opens up smelling like a cherry crisp--warmed brown suger strudel topping and lovely cherries. It's so delicious I want to lick my wrist after I put it on. Those brown sugar notes smell just like the top notes of Dia De Los Muertos 04 (for those of you who haven't tried that incarnation, it's a softer warmer burnt sugar than is in Sugar Skull. Of course DDLM 04 is my favorite BPAL ever, so this a great thing!

After a bit the sugar notes fade, and I get fruit and creamy vanilla. It is so gorgeous I can't believe it, and like others have said, it's not like some other BPAL cherry notes. It's not cherry candy--it's fresh summer cherries.

It has a lot of throw--I can smell the rich sweet cherry scent as a move around, but it isn't cloying at all.

This is the first MonsterBait that worked on me, and also a scent that is making me realize I actually DO like some fruit scents.

I adore this, and was very lucky to score a bottle.

In the bottle there's a distinct candy-like cherry note that smells very sweet and a little plastic, which is a little worrying, especially having read the number of 'cherry cough sweet' reviews.

On my skin though, it's a lovely, creamy strawberry and cherry liquor feel. Not too bright and sickly, and not too thick and cloying either. After an hour or so of drydown, I do get the 'Strawberry Shortcake Doll/My Little Pony' plastic scent right up against the wrist, but the throw itself is all red fruit and a cloud of powdered sugar. It only lasts a few hours, but it's a nice light and playful summery scent when it is there, and I think I'll keep an eye out for a second bottle.

This sounded so yummy I just had to try it!

In the bottle, it smells like Cherry Vanilla, with a hint of cough syrup in it.

Nice, though....

I put it on and, for a few seconds, I got lovely cherry vanilla.

By the time it dried,it smelled like... well, are y'all familiar with Big League Chew? On me, Bloody Mary smells just like that! It's kind of bubble gummy with a hint of cherry. Fun, definitely! Everyday? Not so much....

But I'm keeping it for the fun aspect of the smell!

On application, I'm immediately swamped with strawberry, cherry and raspberry. At first it reminded me very much of the strawberry jam flavour of Skittles that've just come out (we have the "Showtime" limited edition, rather than the American "Carnival"). It put me in mind of strawberry jam-filled donuts, or strawberries simmered in sugar syrup and poured over stacks of pancakes.

And the throw! Workmates can smell me from the other side of the room. I applied it to my throat and the exposed part of my upper chest while getting dressed this morning.

One workmate even said I was good enough to eat. :P And that I smell like lollies.

This scent is so unbelievably yummy.

It's creamy, lush and very red-smelling.

Just a quick note on this one, it's cherries all the way for me. It starts out VERY strongly smelling like Vicks cherry cough drops and mellows in about 2 minutes to a strong wet cherry. It dries down to a more refined and sweet cherry scent but as you can tell ... it's CHERRY all the way!

Name: Monsterbait: Bloody Mary

In Bottle: Holy Cough Syrup, Batman! Seriously, the sweetness of it immediately hits my senses, like sticky, sweet cherry syrup.

Wet: Just like Cherry Syurp at first. The powdered sugar really starts to make itself known.

Drying: Confectionaries! Really, dark, cherry flavored confections or maybe icing. Some strawberry and raspberry make their way up, though are definitely overpowered by the cherries! Either way, the darkness of it keeps me from running away from the sugary overload.

30 Minutes: Still strong and even more dark, deep cherry flavor!

Throw: Decent

Evaluation: A Keeper! It makes me feel simply devious!

In the bottle – Cherries in syrup :P

Wet on me – Something strong and warm, it’s weird, I can smell it, but not what it is :D

Dry on me – Cherryade, becoming warmer and spicier as the day goes on (I put it on at least 14 hours ago and it’s still going strong)

Overall – I was a little unsure at first, but the dry down is a triumph. Warm, fruity, comforting and even slightly sensual.

Bottle: Berries and cream. I smell raspberry specifically, and it reminds me of my raspberry cream candle from yankee candle. Love. So much love.

Application: The powdered sugar comes out, but there's still that raspberry and cream scent. It's sweet, but not overpowering.

Dry: For a moment, other berries came out. I almost got the cherry, but then it went right back to raspberry and sugar.

It lasted forever. In fact, I could still smell the raspberry goodness ten hours later. I am so incredibly pleased with this scent. It ended up being a more sugary version of Akuma, which I love. <3 Raspberry is one of my favorite things. I'm so glad I got a full bottle of this at the last minute.

Wet is delicious buttery pastry and..bubblegum? Lots of cherry bubblegum! Sweet, cherry-flavoured candies. It does calm down rather quickly into a strawberry scented something--can't quite place my finger on what it reminds me of but it's definitely a candy/junk food-- Strawberry Blow Pops! Tempered with powdered sugar. This is a morpher! All of a sudden it smells like another delicious candy I'm remembering from my childhood..rock candy! And those old fashion candy sticks I used to get at the farmer's market. It settles on pure strawberry note :P with a hint of powdered sugar donut. A few minutes later I get whiffs of raspberries & cream. I feel like I'm at Willy Wonka's Factory. This is so sweet but not sickeningly; it's strong but pleasantly sugary, invoking lots of memories of being a little girl at a slumber party. Candy/fruit roll ups/eating ice cream till you puke all rolled into one. Sleepover in a bottle.

Edited by heysunshine

This is a cherry-vanilla scent, a thick creamy dessert with gobs of deep red fruits and a touch of cherry liqueur. After a while the powdered sugar comes to the forefront of things and stays there for the duration of the scent. The cherry-vanilla is still there, no doubt about it, but it sits under a smattering of powdered sugar. How on earth did Beth make it smell like powdered sugar??

I can't believe how amazing this is! I was intrigued by the notes in this, but wary of the cherry. It doesn't disappoint. There's something about this that's almost addicting and very comforting. LOVE IT!

monsterbaitbloodymary.jpg

Imp: Very sweet, fruity red lollipop.

Wet: Lots of red fruits (lollipop on me), but there is a hint of some of the sugar from midway. Its a very sweet and girly scent.

Dry: Thankfully, the lollipop backs off. The fruits are dark and red, and in the background. At the forefront is a dusty caramel scent...with a hint of toffee popcorn. The popcorn is a short-lived phase, though, and the fruit regains some of its previous lollipopish-ness. It lasts for 6-7 hrs, and occasionally I get whiffs of a plastic scent along with the syrupy red cherry lollipop and sugar.

Overall: Just wasn't meant to be with my skin chemistry. And if that weren't enough, there's the fact that I'm not a huge cherry fan. I'll be passing this along. :P

Edited by jewelbug

First of all, let me reiterate what I said when Bloody Mary was first released: THANK YOU, BETH, FOR NOT PUTTING DRAGON'S BLOOD IN THIS! Seriously, I'd been wanting a Bloody Mary scent, but I figured it would have dragon's blood in it like all the other "blood" scents, so I wasn't exactly clamoring for it. But it didn't, so yay!

In the bottle: Smells like cherry pie--really sweet cherry filling and buttery crust. :P

Wet: When I first tried this, it turned evil as soon as it hit my skin. First it smelled like plasticky cherries, then cough syrup, and then burnt cough syrup. Yikes! Fortunately, the nastiness faded and there was a moment of gorgeous, warm, juicy fruitiness that reminded me of stewed fruit--warm and sweet, rather than cool, fresh fruit.

Dry: Once it dried it became sort of...unremarkable. "Indeterminate red fruits" was the phrase I used in my notes. The buttery pie crust is still there, very faintly, in the background.

Aged 4 months: I tried it again last night--we were re-watching the Bloody Mary episode of Supernatural so I even put some on my husband's wrist for the occasion. :D While I still don't love it, I have to say that I like it so much more now. It retains that juicy, stewed fruit scent that I liked so much. It's so juicy, I can almost taste it. And there's still that nice, buttery pie crust note hanging out faintly in the background. So I'm almost certainly going to keep it, though I'll need to be in the mood for super-sweet red fruit to wear it. But hey, that mood does hit me every so often. :D

Thanks to Filigree Shadow I have a full bottle of MB-Bloody Mary. I like it a lot. It goes on strong and is almost too much when wet. After a half hour it calms down to a sweet, sugary cherry scent that smells really good. If I put it on before bed it smells like cotton candy in the morning, and I just love cotton candy! :P

Ooh wow, instant red fruits with the smallest hint of spice. This smells like cherry Jolly Ranchers (which I love). Really yummy – I wish I got a full imp instead of just a sniffle, especially when BPAL fruits go well with my body chemistry. Lasting power is excellent. I want more!

In the bottle: boozy, sugared cherries.

Wet, on my skin: YUM. A waft of sugared fruits.

As this dries it becomes more and more sweet, until I'm left with candy fruits. Almost bubblegummy in character. Sweet and creamy, with a bit of vanilla. So yummy, and sweet, and girly. Other scents that come to mind when I smell this are things like Lolita and Hollywood Babylon and Jailbait. Another one of my favourites.

I never thought that I’d like this oil. I got it really more for the name than what I expected from the scent. More often than not, the cherry note that’s common in BPAL tends to go cough syrupy on me, so I’ve learned to be a bit wary when it comes to cherry.

Man though, I was totally blown away once it got here. Of all the Monster Baits, I think this is my favorite. It is so sweet and delicious. On the skin, it smells just like sweet dark cooked cherries – cherry pie with whipped cream on top. There’s sugar too. It’s sweet, but not the tooth ache sweetness that’s in Sugar Skull or even Hymn to Prosperpine.

I don’t find this scent girly or innocent in the least. I think the black cherries push it into a darker realm. It’s fabulous and I’m so glad that I got a bottle.

Bloody Mary was quite the pleasant suprise, as I anticipated it not working for me. It starts off with the same very sharp, sour, and nearly unpleasant scent that MB: Closet has upon contact (perhaps there's an alcoholic note in both, even though BM has none listed), but upon drydown the scent fades to ripe red fruits scattered over whipped cream. I get considerably less cherry than I thought, which is a bonus. It has short throw, but average wear length.

Edited by PhantasmMysteria

Bottle: Berries!

Wet: Not berry, cherry and sugar!

Drydown: It stays the same, cherry and sugar. It's lovely!

4.5 outta 5

* BLOODY MARY *

In the bottle: Cherry cough syryp

Wet: Cherry cough syrup with Black Anise added to it.

Dry down: Cherry cough syrup, Black Anise, and a top note of stewed tomatoes. :P

Conclusion: As most of you know, my reviews are pretty well detailed. Not this time! I am at a loss for words in describing Bloody Mary and in describing my disappointment. I *SO* wanted this to be a sweet sugary light cherry scent but that was not to be, I suppose. Unfortunately, the throw is great and the wear is LONG - so long I had to wash it off and it doesn't come off easy.

I am still optamisic though (I don't know why) and so I will hold on to this and give it another few tries later down the road. If anything changes, I will be sure to post it here! Big Bummer!!

I get deep, rich, wonderful cherry goodness over the creamy vanilla. So glorious!!! The cherry is the primary note for the first hour or two, slowly fading until it's mostly vanilla.

My skin loves this! I'll be wearing it a lot!

This was my first ever BPAL fragrance experience, so yaaay! I'm no longer a BPAL virgin! :D

I was a little nervous about this scent at first...in the bottle, it smells like boozy, buttery cherry cough medicine with a hint of vanilla. Not entirely unpleasant, but not really what I want to smell like. ^^;

Despite that, I dabbed it on and waited a second to sniff. Wet on my skin, it's still a bit boozy, but the fruit no longer smells artificial. I'm getting mostly juicy, tangy cherry and strawberry with creamy vanilla underneath. I can't stop sniffing! This scent is so red and juicy and delicious!

After an hour, the fruit gives up the spotlight, and I'm left with this incredibly sweet, smooth vanilla...much like a heap of whipped cream with a cherry on top. I totally smell like dessert. :D Has me practically drooling, and I keep covertly taking whiffs off my wrist. :)

Now I'm hungry! I need to get me some whipped cream and cherries as soon as possible! :P

In the imp, this smells like fake red-food-colored things taste - I can't explain it any other way. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though.

On my skin, it's very bright and sweet - like red candy (which I like!).

Dry, this is sweetness on steriods - not bad, just too much for me.

Bloody Mary

Grade: A+ (4.5/5)

(Outside): Prominent burnt cream; sweet and well, creamy x.o... but not exactly smooth.

(Inside: tangy..sour sweet. Cherries? cherry liquor? not alcoholic.. hmm.. cherry cream... argh i had the word.. Not fruity. not very sharp... cherry lemon cream cordial!!

Chemistry: Okay, x.x Whatever's mixing with the cream accord is making me smell like cotton candy. If i take a big whiff up close to my wrist, it smells like a stronger, cherried cotton candy.

Edited by celestia