Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
requieminblack

Monster Bait: Bloody Mary

Why waste time chanting her name in the mirror 13 times? Bedevil your next slumber party the easy way! Chunky, glistening red fruits with sweet cream accord, black clotted cherry, and powdered sugar!

Got a bottle of this from Dark Delicacies for my birthday and I am absolutely in love with it. It's not quite the candy cherry you get from a jelly donut, since this cherry is dark and tart, but it's close enough to be delicious! I am really glad I picked this up. It lasted all day, and I kept sneaking sniffs of its cherry goodness.

in the imp: sharp, tart cherry

wet: in your face cherry koolaide, with a bite of something behind it. feels sort of woody but also sort of spicy (and my chemistry seems to want to turn everything to wood this week, so take it with a grain of salt).

dry: this is a slightly more grown up suck it. it's the same sweet-tart bright red cherry note, but there's a darker, richer cherry just behind it. i think that the cream in this is making it a richer blend, but i'm not reading cream at all (which is good, cream tends to go bad on me).

this is a very pretty candy style blend that's actually fairly adult on my chemistry. i bought the decant on a whim and i'm glad that i did.

Origin:

Preconceived notions:

This is another scent I bought mainly for the name and bottle art. While I like some of the Monster Bait scents (and a handful of other sweet scents), I'm not generally a foody fan and I don't really like the scent of cherries. But I'm hoping this might work at least somewhat because I've been pleasantly surprised before. If not, I'll keep it for the art and the name and be happy. :)

First sniff:

This smells like a mix of Luden's cherry cough drops (which taste and smell like candy, not medicine) and cherry cordial. Sweet but kind of tart at the same time and a bit syrupy. I don't smell anything but cherry here and it's a distinctly syrupy sweet cherry at that. This doesn't bode particularly well, but I'll try it.

Wet on skin:

Not much change from in the bottle. Cherry cordial (like chocolate covered cherries without the chocolate) and Luden's cherry coughdrops. Maybe some wild cherry Lifesaver thrown in, too, but there's something a little more "real fruit"-like, too. It's a little juicier now. There's also a small hint of something powdery and sweet coming up in the background. That's encouraging since I think the powdered sugar note could help temper the intense cherry scent of this for me.

Dry down:

As MB: Bloody Mary dries, the powdered sugar gets more and more prominent. It takes hours (literally), but the eventual result is that I get a very distinct powdered sugar scent with a background of powdered wild cherry Lifesavers or Luden's cough drops. In the time in between wet and totally dried down, it's very linear, with the cherry taking more and more of a background position and the powdered sugar overlaying it more and more.

The bottom line:

I could (and would now and then) wear the final dried down scent, but I'm not sure how likely I am to wait hours for a scent that's just okay (for me) in the end. I'm still happy I bought a bottle because I love the inspiration and the bottle art makes me smile (it's creepy but strangely cute), but I don't think this will get much wear from me. It definitely lives up to the description and concept. It's just not really a "me" scent, which I knew going into this.

Monster Bait: Bloody Mary

On: Sweet cherries with lots of cream and powdered sugar.

1 hour in: Cream and cherries. Very sweet, but not cloying. Definitely foody.

2.5 hours in: So pretty. It's definitely foody, but not overwhelmingly so. It's such a powdered sugar, cream, and sweet cherry scent. Lovely.

4.5 hours in: Still about the same.

Overall: This is so pretty. I'm going back and forth about whether I should hunt down a bottle. I can't imagine I'd reach for it often, but I'm sort of taken with the cherries.

I get an immediate blast of dark red cherry. Like black cherry Koolaid mix. It is sweet, but it's also rather strong. I don't get a lot of creaminess when it's wet, but as it dries it does seem to round out a bit. Whatever powdered sugar is present here gets eaten up by my skin, but there's enough sweetness inherent in the fruit keeps it a bit sweet on me. There's almost a hint of woodiness present too- like mahogany. It dries down to a slightly more mellow, woody cherry. Once it's been around for a really long time, it ends up just a hint of cherry that clings to the skin. I like it. Something about it keeps me sniffing my arm, even though it's not the type of scent I typically go for. It does do a little bit of the plasticy thing that most foodie scents do when they meet my wacky skin, but it's not bad or enough to keep me from wearing it. I'll have to try it in my scent locket to see how it differs.

How have I never reviewed this? It's certainly in my top five.

On me this is all syrupy cherry preserves/pie filling and powdered sugar, which is amazingly true powdered sugar and not the "sugar" note I usually think of when I see the word sugar in perfumes. It stays remarkably true from beginning to end, and lasts fairly long for a fruity scent. I get three or four hours out of it easily, though it becomes more sugary and less cherry near the end.

I love this and wish I could find another fruity BPAL close to this, because I hoard mine and only wear it when nothing else will do. This is the scent that made me aware I could wear sweet scents.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this scent!! It is deep dark syrupy cherries (think maraschino cherries dressed in black latex and wielding a whip), with sugar sprinkled over them. A dark decadent scent that just makes me feel sinful wearing it! LOL! I'd LOVE to see this re-released someday as it gets more and more rare over time... it's just one of those that is impossible to hoard lol!

Thoughts before testing: I purchased this and Suck It at the same time. I had never tried a cherry/red fruit scent before, but having previously tested Suck It, I don't have high hopes for Bloody Mary.

Wet: Nothing but sugared cream. No fruits, just cream. It's kind of nice, but not what I was expecting.

Dry down: The artificial cherry note of DOOOOOOOM appears. Oh no.

Dry: Nothing but artificial medicinal cherry on my skin.

Thoughts after testing: Well, now I know to stay away from cherry blends!

Verdict: Off to the sales page!

Absolutely, without a doubt one of my favorites! This is so yummy and I'm not even a big foodie blend fan.

Upon first sniff I get the cherry delightfulness.It's totally indulgent and absolutely lush. As it dries down the cherry is still holding strong, but a gorgeous, smooth creaminess comes out that makes you want to eat your body part that's wearing this delish scent.

I am in love with Bloody Mary. Now, I just have to find a bloody bottle. Major hopes for a re-release on this one! :D

So happy I won this on ebay! I have been wanting a bottle for ages.

In the bottle.... like warm cherry pie with vanilla ice cream.

on.....pure cherry lollipop. With something else underneath.....as it warms and melds with my skin, I get..... I don't know - almost cherry tootsie pop? That hint of chocolate in the middle? I think that's it. Warmer than just cherry candy, but not really chocolate.... I keep huffing my arm to try to figure it out!

I think that's it - Cherry Tootsie Pops. :D

:yum:

I like this one- I have a bottle and I have never gotten rid of it- but sometimes when I reach for it I find it too strong.... other times it is just what I needed!! Total cherry attack- avoid if you don't do cherry!

I'm surprised I haven't reviewed this one yet as it's easily in my top ten favourites of all time!

Bloody Mary is all sweet, sticky red cherries in the bottle with a faint hint of the cream. Wet, it is juicier and is scented exactly like the cherry lollipops I love from our local sweet shop 'Sugar Sugar'. The cream note is much like the one in Boo, heavy and thick and incredibly moreish. On the drydown, the cherry note stays true and has incredible throw. I am total sucker for sweet scents and this is one of my favourites. It does fade on me over time but I don't mind re-applying or slathering a little more than usual to make it last. I sometimes like to layer it with Boo when I need that extra creamy kick. Bloody Mary is absolutely beautiful, sexy, sweet and delicious. Probably the best BPAL cherry scent to date.

In The Bottle: Very bright and tart smelling berries, slightly powdery, slightly caramelly from the cream.

Wet: Sweet, tart berryfruits, bright cherries and a dollop of almost caramel-like cream. Delish!

Drydown: As this dries, it turns into powdered sugar with sweet cream, and a hint of powdered cherry candies in the back ground. Sweet, tart, and vaguely incensey, I love it!!

Verdict: I'm sure Egg'd Mailbox must share a cream note with this one as the drydowns are quite similar!

5/5

ETA: Somehow I accidentally posted this twice.

Edited by welcometothefamily

:shrieks:

Out of the bottle, this smells JUST like cherry ICEE syrup! As it dries, it gets a little darker, and I can smell the cream and sugar more, but omg, om nom nom..

:hoards obsessively:

"red fruits" can be iffy on me. Don't care, I love the other Monster Baits I have so much that I needed to track this down.

Wet: This morphs really quickly on my wrist. I get a blast of realistic strawberry, which quickly turns to plastic, which quickly turns to burning sugar. I'm not sure this is working on me, and that makes me so so sad.

Dry: Most of the plastic and smell of burning decreases quite a bit, but unfortunately this is still very "fake" on my skin. Makes me so sad, I wanted to love this so much - Underbed, Closet, and Underpants are three of my all-time favourites. I think I had unreasonable expectations for this as a result, and should have known this combo of notes had a good chance of not working on me. :(

Bloody Mary!

Thankfully it doesn't smell like a Bloody Mary...memory vomit :cheers:

In bottle: Dark cherry and cream

On skin:It smells like sexy girly red leather. If red leather had a scent associated with its color. Musty-ish. It has a definite associative quality...like the scent of a comic con...all the makeup and costumes...fog machines. Its got a light candy scent as well. Its definitely fun.

Drydown: Pretty solid the whole way through. I can't decide if I like it or not, because it has the ability to be kind of blandly dark cherry to me...but also a deep inhale makes me think it would be wildly sexy. It has that smooth cream quality.

I feel kind of similar about all the Monster Bait blends I have tried...I like them, but I don't know if I really need them...but I can't stop sniffing them...I don't know!!

4/5!

This is really nice aged. Fresh it had a tendency to turn cough syrupy - but it's maybe 10 years old now? And it aged very nicely, it is dark and juicy fruit and smells like hard cherry candy. Cherry is still not a favourite note for me, so I swapped both my bottles, but if you like cherry, you should try to score the now aged MB: Bloody Mary

♔ Monster Bait: Bloody Mary

In the Bottle: Sugar powder coated sweet dark cherry liquor

Wet: Syrupy dark cherry hard candy, a little like glistening cherry jolly ranchers and a little boozy with brandy… maybe cherry compote…Nommy! There’s a hit of the same powdered sugar note in Strawberry Sufganiyot, but it’s very subtle. The cherry note in this is both sweet and tart, it makes me salivate… If there was a sweet pastry note to this, it would have been an almost perfect instalment for a Cherry flavoured Sufganiyot or even cherry pie blend! I don’t get much cream and the red fruits smell like a combination of sugared tart berries like raspberries and strawberries, rather than citrus-based blood oranges or red delicious apples. The red fruits are so sweet and tangy it makes me think some amber may have been sneaked in with the cream accord. Years back when I first reviewed this, there was a lemony cordial aspect I detected which burnt off during the aging because now it's just wonderfully all shiny syrupy cherry berry goodness.

Drydown: The powdered sugar in this has a creamy note, which is probably the sweet cream accord. This dark cherry component is still very jammy… but it’s not just black cherries, it’s definitely a medley of red berries too. It comes out more in the drydown. It is sooooo rich, sugary it dries down to a cherry cotton candy on me.

TL;DR: Powdered sugar coated raspberries and strawberries with syrupy, tart cherry compote.

Edited by celestia

Wet: Powdered sugar, and a mix of... raspberry syrup, maybe? Not really reading anything as "cherry" yet.

Dry: Sweet, tart, creamy cherry. The cream note is more dominant than the cherry, and luckily this didn't turn plastic-y at all. Low throw.

I am always looking forward to finding more cherry scents to pair with my Dragon Bouffant HG, and I had hoped Monster Bait: Bloody Mary would be one of them. Alas, it was not meant to be.

I do get cherry from this, but I get tons of currant and what I believe may be raspberry syrup (not realistic raspberry), as donkehpoo suggested. The cream is present, but this is far more fruit-dominant on me than cream-forward, sadly. The powdered sugar is more noticeable after several hours of wear, but the fruits remain the main players on me.

I like the black cherry note, but I wish I were getting more of it and the cream, and less of the other fruits.

Ahh, right from the get-go cherry candies. Actually, I can smell all the notes right off the bat and it works really well! Usually cherry is one of my no-no-notes, but I can live with it here. It's a lot though. It's quite zingy/sharp. Cherry is definately the dominating note.

This is very, very cherry! A dark, syrupy cherry. I know some people make a connotation with syrupy cherries and medicine, but on my skin it isn't medicinal at all. It isn't cough syrupy, at least it doesn't smell like any cough syrup I've ever tried. Instead, it's a rather liqueur-ish black cherry. There's a lot of sugar in the background, which plays nicely off the sickly sweet, syrupy, yet somehow dark in its nature black cherry.

It's super rich, and like many aged BPAL blends, has a sort of depth and richness and overall complexity that I really go for. I imagine in its earlier years perhaps the cherry wasn't quite as deep, and maybe had a little more of a creamy feel to it, but nowadays it is gorgeous.  A cherry heaven. What more could you want? If you tend to find the combination of cherry + syrupy liqueur medicinal, maybe this isn't for you, but if those notes sound like a nice, boozy, syrupy, cherry dream come true, seek out a bottle of Monsterbait: Bloody Mary.

I'm glad I own this one. I love cherry blends, and this is definitely one of the better cherry blends I've found. If I ever saw another bottle, I'd be very tempted to get a backup, despite not typically being a backup type of person unless I'm running very low.

MB: Bloody Mary is a nice creamy cherry blend, but on my skin the other red fruits create a generic red candy effect, as I often get with berry notes.  The wear length is somewhat less than I would desire, and the throw is very low.  There are newer and less rare cherry scents that work better on me.  

If Creme Savers made cherry and raspberry flavors, this is what they would smell like. The cherry here is not medicinal to my nose, but a nice and tart one, and the cream and raspberry notes tame it nicely. The powdered sugar aspect strengthens over time, ultimately taking over the entire blend.

Bloody Mary only lasts a little over an hour, but it's a tasty hour. Cherry and I don't have the best track record, but this is one that works -- just wish it stuck around a bit longer!