Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
requieminblack

Monster Bait: Bloody Mary

Why waste time chanting her name in the mirror 13 times? Bedevil your next slumber party the easy way! Chunky, glistening red fruits with sweet cream accord, black clotted cherry, and powdered sugar!

Total cherries and cream on my skin. I love it! Lasts about 5-6 hours on my skin before really fading.

In bottle/imp: Cherry pie and cream.

Immediately on skin: There is a very strong cake note in this, or something like pie crust. It is melded with baked cherries and cream. It seems to have the same pie crust note I get from Pumpkin Cheesecake, which smells almost nutty on me.

After a few minutes: The cherry note in this has turned to more of a fake cherry now, and slightly medicinal. The pie crust note is still there, and it continues to smell rather nutty. The whole blend has a slight creaminess to it, but it isn’t all blending well to my nose.

Overall Impressions: I had high hopes for this, but it has a weird pie crust type note that ruins it for me. It’s slightly nutty and blended with the cherry and cream notes. If you enjoy foody and cherry blends, this might work on you.

I got a bottle of this off ebay, so it's pretty well aged. I need to be careful with it, as it apparently has a really strong throw (I have a pretty poor sense of smell, particularly when it comes to myself). At first, it's very sweet, almost like bubblegum. Then it mellows, the powdered sugar comes out, and it's juicy, soft and a bit darker than when wet. As long as I apply it sparingly, it's very good.

This is a very waxy, plasticy scent to me, kind of like Bonne Belle lip gloss. I don't like cherry scents, so I'm not surprised that I don't like this one. It is almost exactly like Sticky Pillowcase, very sugary, fruity. I don't get the cream. Oh well, I'm sure I can pass this imp off to someone.

Edited by milo

Just sweet, sweet, sweet, sweet, sweet on me. Not nausea-inducing and really not too bad. Bloody Mary exceeded my expectations but a little foody goes a long way for me.

Oh, how I love this. I really should have bought more than one bottle when it came out. This is gorgeous sweet cherry, fluffy powdered sugar and some kind of delicious buttery note that makes it smell like kind of dessert straight out of heaven. I am a huge fan of BPAL's cherry note and when it surrounded by other favored notes of mine like cream and sugar, how could I ever not love this? Absolutely fabulous.

OH MY GOD...if i could only buy gallons of this stuff.. smells like cherries and sugar...just sweet as can be and i love it. cream is in there softening it all up and making it just delicious.

im going to gnaw off my arm, standby. ;)

Wet on the skin, this smells like maraschino cherries and cream, goes through a cough syrup phase, but when it dries it smells like sweet powder.

Edited by BuxomM

Sweet, very red, and slightly powdery - I enjoyed this! It's definitely cooked fruit, rather than fresh (it's almost jellied fruit, really)...

It lasted well, and was fun :)

I expected so much more from this scent. When I learned how sought after this Monsterbait line had become, I was sure I had hit the mother load when I found a bottle of this scent on eBay for a fairly reasonable price.

The description seemed nice enough but when I first opened the bottle, the scent that hit me first was the gross celery scent that I also experienced in Intergalactic mixed with cream. Once it was on my skin, the celery scent faded and the berries and cream became more prominent. It took on the scent of a cheap cherry lolly.

I really wasn't impressed so I will be sending this on to a new home. :)

Sniffed: Dark golden/light amber oil. Sweet-tart super fruity! Black cherry, red cherry (the 'wild' type from Neo-Tokyo and Beaver Moon 07), black and red currants, raspberry, blackberry and I swear, even a little hint of chocolate. It's definitely candyish, and I get the sugar and cream notes clearly. Very sweet, but not cloying.

Wet: Darker; less red/fresh/tart on my skin, more about dark preserved/cooked fruit. Black cherry dominating with red cherry just behind and then a little bit of the currants. Less sweetly berried, just much less sweet over all. It's like I'm sucking on the skin of black cherry. Still a little hint of sugared-vanilla-creaminess, though.

Dry: The fruit in this has gone nearly entirely to black cherry-currant jam, although it also reminds prunes - it has that dark dried fruit quality. It's not boozy....but it kind of reminds me of Montresor, it's the same 'type' of dark non-fresh fruit. Still a tiny hint of tart wild cherry below things to perk it up, and the light cream holds below, though it's barely foody-sweet any more.

Summary: Dark, softly sweet stewed black cherries with a little creamy vanilla sugar. It's pretty nice, though it has a faint plastic undertone on me. Good throw but fades fast.

In the bottle - The cherry isn't at all strong to my nose and it has a booze feel to it. It's creamy and sweet. It's also very, very LIGHT.

Wet - Uh oh. The cherry seems to be turning...

Drying - It's not turning as badly as I thought. The sweetness has really disappeared, being replaced by a very dark, sort of fake smelling cherry. I take that back. The cherry isn't so much that it's fake, it's just very, very dark and lightly powdery. When I think of "fake cherry," it's that overly sweet flavoring kind. This is not sweet. Not sweet at all anymore, actually, nor is it creamy. Just spooky black cherry.

Dry (2 hours) - Okay, NOW it's fake cherry on me.

Overall - Blah, I have no luck with foody scents at all.

In the bottle: WHOA CHERRIES.

Wet: Still cherries, but it's delicious. Juicy! It reminds me of Christmas because that's when I first got this bottle. The throw is strong! I've only put a tiny bit on!

Dry: Mmm, it's going creamy now. And I get a hint of candyish strawberry. Really lovely.

In the decant, I get cherries, other sorts of red fruit, and what's either the cream or the powdered sugar; either way, really, really good.

Once on my skin, Bloody Mary takes a blend between red fruits and a spicy sort of cake, a darkly sweet sort of scent. And really, really good. ...Damnit. I'm going to have to DISO this too, aren't I? :P

Edited by Venneh

I bought this off ebay untested. Cherry is absolutely one of my favorite scents so I thought I had a pretty good shot with it and I was right!

In vial: Cherry and... maple syrup? Not the best mix.

Wet: Cherry cough syrup. After just being on for a couple of minutes I was worried I had over-estimated the effect of cherry on my skin. I was not feeling it at all. But give it 30 minutes to an hour and....

Dry: Oh so yummy! Sugary cherry pie with little bit of whipped cream on top. Oh yeah this is delicious. I am so glad I decided to give it some time. And it really has one of the best throws I've experienced with bpal so far.

This like Jailbait is one of those really fun scents that I feel like I shouldn't like as much as I do because I'm supposed to try and be this sophisticated woman but I can't resist the allure of smelling so sweet and cute. This will get a lot of wear from me, I'm sad it's not GC because eventually it'll run out, I guess I'll keep my eye out on another bottle. It has invaded my top 10. 10/10

Edited by silver_springs

Got this years ago and it didn't like me, so I aged it in desperation, and now it's time to try it out again:

In bottle: Holy wow, I forgot how delicious this one smells--I want to roll around in this! Cherries and cream and sugar and butter. DELICIOUS.

Wet, on skin: Cherry pie, with spices! Delicious and fruity and just a little bit dark.

Drydown: Wait, what is happening to my delicious cherry spice and cream? It smells like plastic, or maybe burning, and it's giving me a stabbing headache.

Dry: I finally gave up here, I can't quite pin down what went wrong here, but I couldn't stand it anymore. Got my wife to sniff it and all she could contribute was, "Ew, wash that stuff OFF. What is that? :ugh: "

Oh, Bloody Mary, WHY do you hate me so? I loved you! :cry: Off to swaps.

In decant: cherries in rich cream

Wet: NOOOOOO!!! It’s plastic!!

Drydown: Now it’s really NASTY plastic…

Later: Totally nasty. Had to wash off. Monster indeed! (May try in scent locket to see if it works in there better).

I had fun trying this one, since I specifically avoided the scent description to see if I could figure it out on my own, and I did! Overwhelming sweetness in a good way. Honey so thick I can taste it. Maybe a hint of chocolate? It's like grenadine, exactly. Like smearing grenadine and a hint of cream on the skin, and I mean that in a good way. Not for the faint of heart, not for those of you who can't handle a little insane sweetness, but Bloody Mary is a sugary girl who seems to want to kill me with cavities more than a knife.

Yum! In the bottle, this is a delicious, sweet berry and sugared cream mix; a lovely dessert that makes me think of summer. On my skin, a cool scent comes out, watering the scent so that the fruit becomes a lovely sugary fruit juice. After a few hours it settles to a soft, sweet and almost creamy berry scent on my skin, so lovely! Its throw is so long I can even smell it the next morning, and it is every bit as delicious.

In the bottle: It's a gorgeous cherry scent, almost liquor but not quite, with a hint of sweetness.

On me, wet: The cherry immediately amps, and it begins to turn a bit plastic! Thankfully it settles down a little.

On me, dry: I think it still has a tiny hint of plastic but it's not in a bad way? It's a gorgeous sweet cherry that reminds me of a My Little Pony I had as a child which smelt of strawberries on its rump! Without that connection I'm not sure I'd wear it but since it makes me nostalgic, I do. I can overlook that slight plastic hint (which is probably why I'm thinking of ponies!) for the blast back to my childhood :)

When I first bought this, I couldn't stand it. The only reason it didn't get immediately swapped is that I'm a little attached to the Bloody Mary legend--it's the first ghost story I ever heard. My decant has been sitting unloved in the back of my drawer ever since.

Cut to today, when I couldn't figure out what to wear. I saw it, decided to give it one more try before my upcoming "gather up stuff that doesn't work on me and swap it" kick, and opened the imp. The initial thick, cherry-syrup punch is there, fresh as I remember. Fresh on, the thick syrup is backed up by the most aggressive powder I've ever smelled. It's spent the last hour mellowing into a very bold, sweet cloud. It's definitely not an everyday scent for me, but I'm kind of liking it. It's rich, very aggresively cheerful, and my husband likes it, so... Imp, you still have a home with me.

The bottle and the image was the one that I loved the most. Cherries, Cream and vanilla. Thankfully all of those notes go lucky on me, but when I got the bottle the Cherries once again ruined the scent for me. Bah. It smelled like a cheap candle. I so wanted this blend to work but it's not for me.

This reminds me of a big bowl of ripe, stewed stone fruit, sprinkled with powdered sugar. Very rich and sweet, and 'clotted' is actually quite a good description - it's like the cherries that have over-ripened and leaked sticky ooze over the bottom of the bowl. Not the kind of thing you'd wear everyday, but delicious and unmistakeably BPAL.

I just got this from a sale here on the forum and wanted to try it right away!

I am surprised at how mellow this cherry is. I thought it would be, but it is not like Bordello at all! It definitely is like a cherry pie filling or cherry jam rather than the fresh fruit as another reviewer noted. It is very soft and muted rather than the tartness of the fresh fruit. I definitely detect the creamy/buttery note right off the bat.

I would say overall this scent has a sexy innocence to it. while being so sweet and unassumingly powdery, there is this almost buttery booziness that makes it edging on sultry.

I don't know when I'll wear it... but I like it and I am glad I bought it unsniffed!

Edited by capncait