Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
arachne

Beachy, Tropical Scents

Hi there,

Any recs for a scent that's really beachy? Looking for something that would smell like Kusco Murphy's beach hair which smells like coconut, bergamot and salt water. TIA!! :P

I haven't tried it yet, but people say Jolly Roger is good for a beachy smell. And of the following--Tempest, Storm and Lightning--I've only tried Tempest, and I don't think they're really beachy, they might work, because they're sort of water-y scents.

Pele smells "beachy" to me, in a suntan lotion and light creamy floral kinda way.

Jolly Roger will get you the sea and salt air, Pele is tropical blooms, and I'm told that Tarot: the Star is a gorgeous coconut.

I can't think of any that combine all those notes, but you might get imps in the three scents and see how they combine! :P

Edited by jj_j

I think it might just be my chemistry, but Villain turned completely seasidey on me: not a trace of any of the listed ingredients, just lots of sea, sunshine and sand.

I am obsessed with beachy smells at the moment. Can't wait to get my hands on Tarot: The Star, as I hear it is the beachiest one. I have Pele coming in the mail, too!!

I love Tempest, it is very clean as well as grapefruity but not so much sun + sand for me as just cleanness. It has something deeper to it that makes it smell tropical and mysterious, too, like island pines or palms.

I actually think Old Morocco smells beachy. I get a very hot and sunny sandy vibe from it (I know the idea is desert, not beach, but it is just so hot); I have been wearing it on hot days this summer and I think it's just luscious. It's not that it smells _like_ the beach, but it definitely smells like _I_ want to smell when I am at the beach. Other ones that smell like I want to smell at the beach are all the sweet, foody ones like O (also Dana O'Shee and Snake Oil, which I actually think is gorgeous in hot weather).

Zephyr is really watery on me too, with a touch of vanilla that could be beachy. It's always hard to divide the beachy from the dryer sheet, though -- that's the territory both Tempest and Zephyr threaten to infringe on.

The other smell that definitely reminds me of the beach is fig, for some reason, and so Carnal with its citrussy sweetness and fig is a perfect beach one for me.

I just need to take myself to the beach dammit!!

Edited by Ms. MSGirl

Jolly Roger is my boyfriends signature scent.

If you are looking for a Beach oil, Jolly Roger is the perfect blend.

It smells like sweet bay rum reverberating from the salty waves crashing into air pockets in the sand, stewed by the hot sun.

Definitly sweet, sandy and happy!

(i could never pull this scent off)

The closest to a beach smell that i like is

Baron Samedi, which is another suggestion to you.

The bay rum in Baron Samedi is so sweet it reminds me of oranges.

Definitly another "Beachy" smell.

1. Jolly Roger

2. Baron Samedi

3. Tarot: The Sun

Wow, like I said, I am obsessed with smelling like the beach, and up till now I had never paid much attention to the reviews of Jolly Roger because it wasn't a sweet, foody scent like the ones I usually go for. But with everyone saying it was beachy, I just read them, and

damn!

On to my wish list it goes, and near the top too. That scent sounds like something that would seriously improve my quality of life. I am always longing for the water.

It even sounds like it has a chance of going sweeter on me -- I absolutely adore the Burt's Bees Bay Rum soap for men. (might have to try baron samedi and old port au prince for this, too!)

I heartily second (seventh, tenth, whatever) Jolly Roger and Pele. Xiu... thingie falls into my own category of "what I want to smell like at the beach" - it's not the beach itself, but it's very tropical and pretty - big tropical flowers in the shade just beyond the line where the trees meet the beach. I like it muchly.

Another vote for Jolly Roger and The Star here :D

I burned some Jolly Roger in my kitchen yesterday to get rid of the smell after cooking fish (fish... salt water notes... sounded like it would make sense :D ). At the same time, I was trying The Star that I had just received in a swap.

Wow. The crisp ocean freshness of Jolly Roger + the pina colada smell of The Star = sheer seaside bliss :P

Jolly Roger was very beachy for me. It brought me back to the lovely holiday I spent in the Keys with a good friend of mine. Lots of fun, rum, and ocean breezes. I didn't try it as a room scent, though, just on my skin, which didn't really like the rum :P

I spent about 6 years living by the ocean, and a good deal of time sitting on the bluffs letting the wind and spray wash over me. And then I moved back to the middle of a desert, and now I feel strangely homesick.

My question is: does anyone know which scent captures the ocean smell the best? That kind of salty, tangy smell of dirt and water?

I have tried:

Circe - this was good, but it smelled too 'clean' to be the ocean, if that makes sense. kind of sweet, more like ponds and waterlillies.

Lightning - also good, and the closest I've come so far. It just didn't smell wet enough for me, though.

Tears - while this is very yummy, it isn't quite as salty as I'd hoped. Very clean and gentle.

I just placed an order for June Gloom, and got imps of Hurricane and Storm but it will be a while before they get here. Are there any others I'm missing? I've read the descriptions, but it would be nice to get human input.

Thanks for your help!

Jolly Roger comes to mind. Beth perfectly captured the freshness and saltiness of the ocean with this one. I have not worn it yet, only burnt it as a room scent and I found it wonderful. Probably one of the most evocative oils I have tried so far :P

Weird... I coulda sworn I posted this a little while ago, but that might have been when my computer crashed.

I second Jolly Roger. It's wetter than Lightning and has a great salt tang to it. Tempest is another lovely sea-scent... it reminds me of watching storms come in over the Chesapeake Bay.

Jolly Roger likes to smell of leather on my skin, I've noticed. But Tempest, Storm and Ulalume are on their way; I really hope they're what I'm looking for. Thanks for the advice, everyone! =)

Black Pearl and Sea of Glass tend to remind me of home.

I know what you mean about being away from the ocean- right now I'm feeling homesick, cooped up, and landlocked, and I get a little nutty after a while :P

Perhaps also Undertow and Dragon's Tears? I'm not sure either one is perfect for what you're looking for, but maybe as part of a combination...

Good topic....now I know what to avoid.

Black pearl is a hot beach scent more that a ocean/rocks/storm scent.

Lalalala, I am a sheep... posting to old topics and all. :P

Seriously, though, Yemaya has a very strong salt water aquatic note along with the hyper-fruity watermelon.

I live at the beach. I think Jolly Roger is pretty close. Sea of Glass is more fresh-water to me personally (as is Zephyr). Hurricane and Undertow are kinda beachy. Penthus is very salty also, but rosy.

Yeah, I'd say Jolly Roger (of the ones I've tried).