Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
arachne

Beachy, Tropical Scents

Funny I just bought a bottle of Light Blue. It's kind of lightly citrusy and clean, right?

I'd recommend Nuclear Winter 2014, which is very clean, minty and fun. Reminiscent of lemon soda except the citrus is toned down, with a dash of musky ozone, which makes it more unisex. I'm really picky but I'd really recommend it especially because it's limited edition.

Kumiho isn't an exact match (not citrusy, the ginger drydown is amazing and unexpected) but it has the same clean vibe, so I'll second it. It's also my favorite BPAL of all time. It's kind of more feminine, but not floral, and it's nice.

The Apple of Sodom smells just like very crisp green apple, kind of sour. I liked it okay. Might be good mixed with something or if you really like the smell of apples.

Edited by Kanashisa

Awesome! I bought a bottle of Nuclear Winter 2014, I smelled it and it isnt really my cup of tea so I was going to swap it. But Im goin to have my friend, who this thread was made in order to find a scent for, try it. Thanks everyone for the recs! I have lots for her too try :)

I don't have a rec for a match for light blue I do have one for a beachy not really "girly" scent.

Obatala. It's GC and it does put you in the mind of the beach. Not so much an ocean breeze but just a warm day in the sun by the waves. It's my go to summer BPAL. But be warned. It is coconut heavy.

As far as the light blue goes, you could try mixing embalming fluid with something else. EF seems to have close to the same citus feel as light blue.

Edited by Erinofhere

Some of the ones I think are the most "Beachy" contain Tiare - reminds me of a tropical Island.

some notes to look for:

Tiare, coconut, Ambergris, ozone -

some of my favorites are:

Thalassa the Galapagod Mermaid (Carnival Diabolique)

The Sea foams Milk (GC)

Elegba (GC)

Ambergris SN (LE, may be able to track down in swaps)

Haumea v1 (found at the Lab's etsy page...not sure it they still have any left, but it's similar to the Coconut vanilla bean & Tiare hair gloss)

I'm looking for a super summery tropical scent, I've fallen in love with bath and body works Oahu and I'm searching for something similar. I love Black Pearl but my skin eats it really quickly, and it's not as tropical as I'd like.

Something that would remind you of Hawaii or a hot summer holiday?

Xanthe (Guava, orange peel, white pepper, spun sugar and apple blossom)

Son of a BiggerCritter (Coconut pulp and vanilla cream with lemon balm and Mexican lime.)

ETA: Otherwise my favorite summer scent is

Hell’s Belle’s (BPAL) Oleander with wet, sweet mandarin, lush magnolia, a rush of deep musk and a touch of spice.

Edited by Anaire

Pele!!! My other beachy favorites are Lovers and a Fan, Tiki Princess, and Beanman and Beanwoman Prepare to Attack the Vagina.

Pele: Whimsical, temperamental, radiant and ravishingly beautiful Goddess of Volcanoes, Fire, Lightning and Dance. She is the Mother of Eruptions and the personification of destructive power. Volcanic eruptions are said to be a side-effect of her jealous rages and her epic quarrels with her siblings are legendary. This perfume embodies her gentler, benign aspect as the capricious Goddess of Dance: muguet and Hawaiian white ginger enveloped by warm, damp tropical blooms.

Lovers and a Fan: White coconut, thick wildflower honey, and threads of saffron.
Tiki Princess: A frothy, cold coconut perfume, pure and sweet, with gentle wafts of plumeria, pikake, and ala ala wai nui.
Beanman and Beanwoman Prepare to Attack the Vagina: Skin musk, white amber, ambergris, orange blossom, ylang ylang, and coconut milk.

(edited to add scent descriptions)

Edited by ellocentipede

I am OBSESSED with wearing coconut in the summer, to me that's what screams beach/Hawaii. I actually came back to the bpal fold after a hiatus because I was in search of the perfect summer coconut.

I tried everything in the GC that contained coconut - none of it was what I wanted. My favourite is actually a LE, Paper Kite Coconut, white sugar, angelica, and black pepper.. However, a close runner up is Death Cap A warm, soft, ruddy scent, earthy and mild.. I know that sounds weird, you would not expect it to contain coconut. But I swear it does, and it's awesome. Just my two cents! Hope you find your own perfect summer smell!

Edited by LizziesLuck

I am OBSESSED with wearing coconut in the summer, to me that's what screams beach/Hawaii. I actually came back to the bpal fold after a hiatus because I was in search of the perfect summer coconut.

I tried everything in the GC that contained coconut - none of it was what I wanted. My favourite is actually a LE, Paper Kite Coconut, white sugar, angelica, and black pepper.. However, a close runner up is Death Cap A warm, soft, ruddy scent, earthy and mild.. I know that sounds weird, you would not expect it to contain coconut. But I swear it does, and it's awesome. Just my two cents! Hope you find your own perfect summer smell!

Paper Kite sounds fabulous. I love coconut scents but my favorite (Goblin) isn't a summer scent IMO.

Intrigue is a bit of a strange beach scent, it's more the exotic shaded hut a little ways back from the surf (Black palm, with cocoa, fig and shadowy wooded notes)

My favorite coconut scent is the LE Goldenrod Crab Spider (White mint, coconut, Indonesian champaca flower, lime rind, white ginger, and green tea.)

I don't know how this year's stacks up, but the original Season of Ghosts was a very beachy scent to me, it reminded me of vacations in Florida, a fruity citrusy sunscreen-ish scent, but not coconut (bergamot, frankincense, rose geranium, ginger, lemongrass, and blood orange).

eta: Pele and Havana (discontinued, sadly) are hot, humid, tropical scents to me also

Edited by skyelyric

Obatala is an amazing coconut scent. You might try layering it with something fruity/floral to add a more tropical dimension... maybe Titania?

Son of BiggerCritter is awesome and beachy, but fades very fast on me. Your mileage may vary. (Also can be hard to find since not many bottles were made -- I think only 100?)

Elegba is coconut/tobacco/rum, which, depending on your chosen beach activities, might be accurate :)

Don't know if you like the Post's hair glosses, but the coconut, vanilla bean, and tiare HG is very tropical to me!!! :)

Lately I've been loving the mono I oil I use in my hair and it has definitely spilled over into what I reach for in my perfumes. I've owned at one point a slew of recs in this thread and was wondering if anything newer has come out that I may have missed similar to Tiki Queen, Tiki Princess, Opuhi, Marae etc?

Call me crazy, but the new Easter Lily SN has a super beachy feel on me! I love it!

Edit due to autocorrect fail.

Edited by ellocentipede

I have a lot of coconut scents. Lol. These are the ones that are most in the Tiki Princess type vein to me:

Avunculus - Orange blossom honey, white coconut, and pear with flecks of golden amber that glimmers like sunlight on water

Lovers and a Fan - White coconut, thick wildflower honey, and threads of saffron.

Lamia - Pale orchid, vanilla amber, black currant, white peach, champaca, coconut, Arabian myrrh, Burmese vetiver, and oude. (this smells like a tropical jungle to me, I love it!)

Body, Remember - Profoundly sensual. The echo of caresses: raw black coconut, ambergris accord, ambrette seed, champaca flower, and sugar cane.

Lizzie gave great suggestions—Lovers and a Fan is particularly lovely, if you're looking for something a little less layered. It's pretty wonderfully straightforward. There's also the Coconut, Vanilla Bean & Tiare hair gloss from the Post.

Blood Pearl is an old favorite of mine. On me, it reminds me a lot of Lush's Hot Milk. I reach for it a lot once the weather warms up. Has "soft orris, blood musk, and coconut.".

My beachy favorites are Eden and Pele, but...

I tested Elegba as a frimp today, and it's unexpectedly fabulous. This is definitely coming with me to the shore next time.

Shoggoth is a beach-y scent to me - lime and coconut together. I love it. And of course Pele. It is both gentle and tropical and reminds me of Maui.

Gonna try Elgeba. Obatala didn't quite work for me - the Shea butter note was a little too strong.

Any chance that the Tiki scents might be reissued at some point? They sound wonderful and I would love to try them, buy them, bathe in them, etc.