Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
edenssixthday

The Deep Ones

Black algae, drooping seaweed, salty brine, and crushed coral.

Wow, oh yeah, that's Lime... It's a nice tangy aftershave. Edited by Shollin
fixed up description --Shollin

When I read the description I thought "uh-oh... that is going to smell... interesting". I was quite surprised when I sniffed the imp - it smelled like some kind of candy or bubblegum to me. On the skin it's obviously an aquatic, ozoney and salty and yet... sweet. Now that I've read the other reviews I can detect a hint of bitter grapefruit, but without knowing it, I wouldn't have guessed it.

My skin usually makes scents disappear quite fast, but this one has a good amount of throw on me.

It's nothing I would wear, but really interesting nonetheless. It reminds me of Szepasszony.

Murky, salty, ozone-y aquatic with a citrusy kick. Definitely weird like a lot of the Arkham oils. Not giving me a headache like most aquatics, but not something I want to smell like either.

1st IMPression: smells how a sweet tart tastes; kind of grapefruity, too?! Can’t put my finger on it.

Applied: grapefruityness quickly fades to more tangy floral that reminds me of a bubble bath I used when I was a kid.

Few hours later: tang fades and leaves a sweet powdery fragrance with a bit of plastic; this must be the Band-Aid smell mentioned in other reviews.

Verdict: I really like this one in the imp, but it does not smell pleasant on my skin. I don’ t think I’ll even approach Beast with this one :P

Got mine as a frimp today and figured I'd do a review of it. Cthulhu disappointed me and I wasn't expecting much from The Deep Ones, so it was a big surprise when my skin decided not to go with the fragrance contents at all until the very end. Though it's good to see that I'm not the only one who found the grapefruit.

In the imp: Something... tart and salty.

Wet: Y HALO THAR GRAPEFRUIT! :D Y HALO THAR ORANGES!

Dry: ...Irish Spring? :P

20 Min Later: There's something lurking... something like faint church incense after Christmas Mass. That would be the algae. I recognize that from my favorite beach blonde algae deep conditioner. And it's fading fast.

So, in conclusion, Deep Ones are made of grapefruit and oranges and never suffer from scurvy. Which is important in their line of work. They also use Irish Spring to keep clean, which is also important considering how social they become when around mere mortals. And, true to form, they vanish with hardly a trace after their work is done much like this fragrance does.

Swap test!

Smell alike: Lime and tequila?

Color impression: light greyish foam and bright green

On me: I am pleasantly surprised by this one. I thought it would be a dark scent but in fact, I get a fresh green grass and lemony scent, profound and complex thanks to something salty lingering in the background (I also suspect grapefruit action but I can't really smell it)

Wearing: Not for me but I’d like to try it on some man :3

I don't really like to write negative things, but I appreciate when others have written things to help me avoid oils that won't agree with me so I can spend my money better. So here goes. The Deep Ones started off smelling pleasantly like a day at the beach - salty air and sand. Then the algae and seaweed took over and it smelled dark and rotting. Aquatics definitely disagree with my skin and nose.

This to me smells very soapy but definitely has more staying power than most of the aquatics i've tried so far. I don't really like it on me but my boyfriend loves it i'm gonna try and give it to him i think.

In the bottle – Warmed grapefruit

Wet on me – Grapefruit and washing detergent

Dry on me – Poof! Gone in a soapy citrusy flash

Overall – I’m impressed, normally sea scents are grapefruit ot washing powder on me, this was both

in the imp: this is a weird thing to say, but this smells like Candied Brine to me, at least while still bottled. totally weird, but i SWEAR, that's the smell! :blink:

wet on skin: more of the (strange) same!

dry down: it's stayed THE. SAME.

in all: the sexy company Kama Sutra used to make this blue bath salt that came with a little shell scoop. i don't know if they still have it, but this oil smells EXACTLY like that- sweet and seawater-y. totally weird, but it works somehow. :huh?:

Heavy aquatic! "Drooping" indeed. There's a good depth to it added from the seaweed. Probably not one I'd wear often, but a good aquatic!

In the Imp: creamy, sharp, with some faint nuttiness underneath

Wet: grapefruit bath product

Dry: sweet, tangy citrus aquatic, with a hint of spice

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It's such a nice citrus smell, very bright and beach-ready; not ominous at all. The dry down especially is very subtle and wearable. On a personal note, I experienced a weird mental glitch when glancing at the imp label, and thought "BPAL has a scent called The Deftones?! :blink: " (In fairness, the label was slightly rolled)

I think this one is a keeper for summer use; at the beach. Or is that like inviting disaster?

eta: because I fail at spellcheck...

Edited by Usagi

This reminds me a lot of a Mitchum's "Shower Fresh" deodarant that I used to use.

It's very aquatic and a bit soapy. Slightly masculine as well.

Unfortunately, it's not doing it for me as it smells too much like the kind of smell you'd find in toiletries but not something you'd choose to wear.

2/5 I just don't think I'm into aquatics.

This started out being mandarin oranges, finished off Irish Spring.

Not that thats bad!

*Sniffs* Okay, a fruity Irish Spring, which is just wierd enough for me to like.

Edit: I swear, I just looked a few reviews up and saw the same thing I said. I cant believe my body didnt make this all wierd on me as it does everything else.

Edited by tragedy

Wet: Originally, aquatic, yes, with something extremely dark, sharp, and rather… off.

Dry: The off smell has leveled out to a sharp plant of some type. It no longer smells… dead. This is the first aquatic I’ve tried that actually does smell truly oceanic to me. Odd earthy tones with enough bite to make an oceanic setting believable. Ok, well, I thought it was done morphing. It wasn’t. Now, it’s a creamy… floral?

Wear Time: At least 12 hours.

Fits Description?: Yes, rather well. There’s just something… unsettling about this scent? And it’s definitely aquatic as noted before. At dry down, this isn’t the case; but as it morphs, I’m sticking with my guns.

Overall: Intriguing. Goes from rather unpleasantly sharp to an interesting aquatic to a somewhat… edible floral. The middle phase is my favorite, although I don’t think this one’s likely to become a regular wear.

I love anything evocative of the ocean, so I had to try this one. The smell was kind of dark and cologne-y when I sniffed my imp so I was a bit wary of it, but then I applied it and it totally lost that and turned into a beautifully dark ocean scent. The dry down smell is amazing: it's very much like an exotic ocean, but not in the tropical sense but rather in the way that an Antarctic beach would be exotic and strange. It makes me think of a siren in that it's a pleasant salty, oceanic smell layered over something strange and dangerous.

I usually have a hate/hate relationship with aquatic notes, much less blends that are deeply aquatic in nature, but thus is the magic of the frimp:

In the vial: an earthy, seaweed note, with dark aquatic background

Wet: lush aquatics overpower the seaweed note, but the darker side of the blend grounds the scent

Dry-down: the individual notes blend perfectly for a great "watery" scent

I really like this blend; much more than I expected to. Growing up near Puget sound, I've never found "ocean" scents to actually smell like the ocean. In this case, it gets closer than I've seen before - the aquatic notes that usually go shrill and high on my skin are tempered perfectly by the darker notes. While I still don't really get "ocean" from this, it is very pretty and something I'm glad to have a sample of.

In the imp: Laundry soap

Wet: Not so bad, definitely salty but still...laundry soap :/

Dry: Well, this doesn't smell like laundry soap anymore! Now it smells like bathroom spray :/ I can see how this smells like salty brine and seaweed but I can't get past the fact that it smells just like household air freshener.

Overall: Not for me. I didn't ahve high hopes for this one so it's alright. This is sure to be a winner with aquatic perfume fans :)

In the imp, and just applied to my skin, this smelled very "clean", like Cthulhu, and fresh. Sort of like walking into a perfectly clean house. It also smelled heavily of juniper berries, which is a scent I always feel gets lost in blends with juniper in it. I really loved this, and since it was so light, I proceeded to slather myself in it.

I work sitting at a desk all day, and as the oil warmed up with my body this got so overwhelmingly powerful I ended up going to the bathroom and scrubbing my skin to get this off.

It smells incredible, like salt water, clean, fresh air, and juniper berries, but it's one of the oils that you can apply very lightly and still get a big impact from.

I really wish I had detergent and cleaning spray scented with this, it's so fresh and bright. Just wonderful!

This is really interesting. I didn't get any of the grapefruit anyone mentioned. I did have about five minutes early on where all I could think was "Irish Spring?", but then my skin chemistry got ahold of it. It's really dark, aquatic, almost brooding. Very much oceanwater instead of seawater or rainwater. It almost smells thick, somehow.

Very nice - I really like it! It's a dark blue type smell, if that helps at all.

i picked up an imp of The Deep Ones thru a swap and was quite suprised to find that is smells exactly like "juniper breeze" body wash from Bath & Body Works

The Deep Ones reached me as a frimp - thank you, kind swapper! - and I looked up the description to find out what is in there... How helpful it was... :rolleyes:

Anyways, this seems to be a sweet ozone/aquatic scent, maybe a little too generic for my tastes but all aquatics smell like that to me. And like most reviewers I think there is some citrus in there - maybe yuzu?

It does not smell bad, rather clean and salty and fresh but I never wear aquatic scents so I'll pass this one on to someone else. And somehow it makes me think that is the kind of scent my mom likes in a shower gel. No, thanks.

This reminds me of drinking lemonade on the beach! A citric aquatic that is very tangy and bright. I do quite like it, even if it isn't the kind of scent I usually like. A unisex scent with light throw. Lovely; I'll definitely keep my imp.