Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Amorphallus, indeed. A breathtakingly exotic, wild, and grossly erotic spicy gold, purple-black, and burgundy lily.

In the imp: Spicy floral

On Skin: Spicy, creamy lily

On Drydown: GONE!

Verdict: WAAAAAAAAAAH! :P It was so promising, but it just did not stay around for me. It began as this nice, spicy, creamy lily (definitely more of the exotic edge on this one). This isn't the lily that grows in your mother's garden.

And then, it just sort of walked out on me. *Sigh*

Imp: Citrus Almond Dirt Flowers. Okay, that sounds odd...it actually smells good, but that's the best way I can describe.

Wet: Defintley a citrus overtone with a heady creamy(almondy, still) floral.

Dry: Less citrus, less almondy, much more floral now, and I totally understand what others mean by a spicy lilly scent. Its not spicy in the traditional sense, but it definitely has that feel. After a bit, it takes on a distincly necco wafer/conversation heart smell, which is something I often get from gardenia blends. Even though this one's a lily. Don't ask me to explain it...i smells what I smells. :P

Overall: Nope, not me. I'm not a floral/lily gal.

Edited by jewelbug

in the imp this smells floral with a hint of almond. it starts out as a light floral but gradually builds to a floral with a spicy intensity. very exotic, pretty and sexy!

I think its quite odd that so many members are smelling different notes with the Lily...Maybe thats the VOODOO :P part! I got the limey jelly-bean smell someone else mentioned and then maybe some citrus, I think orange or lime. As it dries, I get sharper, herbier flavors, I thought maybe vetiver, but not in a bad way. Underneath it all is the lovely smell of lilies :D , not quite soapy but warm and sweet. I agree that the overall impression is Lily--with an exotic twist :D . It morphs a bit too.

I got this as a frimp in my last order, and I'm so glad I did!

Voodoo Lily is spicy and sexy but not too heavy. It also has incredible staying power.

I'm definitely thinking about a big bottle of this one.

In the imp: Rich, heady, spicy florals

Wet: Purple and gold? Yup. Amorphallus? Yup. Exotic? Yup. Voodoo Lily is sexy as all get-out. Like many blends in Rappaccini's Garden, this is very well-blended - no individual notes jumping out at me. But it is heavy and dark and erotic and spicy. Mmmm...

Dry: Same as wet, but a bit, well, drier. Not as juicy-wet. Very heady-spicy. I don't think I need a bottle yet, but I will definitely use my imp. Then we'll see.

The lily scent is tempered with an herbal sharpness. It reminds me a bit of the overwhelming green scent in jasmine sambac. It's strong, and it throws, but it's very monotonous.

In the imp: spicy but sweet. Reminds me of Dr Pepper, actually, which I like, but not necessarily as a perfme...

Wet on skin: still spicy, but without any of the earlier sweetness. It's alright, I guess, but not something I'd seek out. I can smell absolutely no lilies in this whatsoever.

dry on skin (10 mins after application): Hang on a second...is that...? Yes, I'm definately getting some sort of floral scent buried underneath all the spiciness! It's not much, but it makes the scent a lot more pleasant.

dry on skin (1 hour after application): The spiciness has mellowed, and the lily is slightly more prominant. The scent has definitely faded, although I did apply it very lightly to begin with.

This could grow on me over time. I'm not sure I'll be rushing to order a big bottle, but I'll definitely use up the IMP. Actually, thinking about it, it reminds me somewhat of my mother's favourite perfume, Cinnabar: might make her try it and see what she thinks...

ETA: Put this on a few days later, and it's gone all fruity on me! WTF? Smells like berries-- how odd. I applied it a little more liberally, maybe it's something to do with that.

Edited by allybee

When I opened the Voodoo Lily imp, I was overwhelmed with a floral scent, and thought oh my gosh Im never going to be able to wear this. (Im not huge on florals.) I put it on before I went to bed because I had to try it anyway....and got a pleasant suprise! It changed immediately when it hit my skin. The lily wasnt too strong and this lovely spice came out. It was like lilies in red pepper; hot and beautiful.

Always try imps no matter how they smell in the bottle. I found that I love Voodoo Lily! :P It made me feel sexy and exotic. Would recommend it to all the ladies for a try.

In the imp: Lily with an underlay of honey and something very sharp as a top note.

Wet: Honeyed lily with sharp, bold spices.

Drydown: GONE! I can only smell this if my nose is directly touching the spot where I applied it; after the initial very nice stage, it goes classical-perfumey, then grandma-powdery.

Verdict: Sadly, off to swaps.

Voodoo lily.......oh dear. I was pretty excited about this one. I really like lily scents, but I'm also into spicy, muskier scents as well. So this one should have been perfect, right? Everybody should have said "Oh goodness, you're sooooo sexy" as soon as it hit my wrist, right??? Sadly, no. Everybody said I smelled like an old lady. One of those really old, leathery, kind of weird old ladies that sit in darkened rooms and knit never-ending scarves while her 8 cats fend for themselves. ....yeah, I have pretty specific friends. :P

But for the record, I liked it. I thought it smelled spicy and exotic, with a sexy, wet floral base. I thought it was delicious! Maybe I'll just keep it around to wear on days when I'm being a homebody. I can just be all sexy and mysterious at myself, and be perfectly happy doing so.

imp: i suppose i expected this to smell like lily... but it doesn't exactly... it's smells like a spicy, mysterious lily of night.

wet: a wonderfully spicy floral. almost a tangy feeling to the scent.

dry: this dries more tangy than soft, a nice tangy, spicy lily.

In the imp: i just get spicy, sort of cinnamon-y notes. Can't really detect lilies at all. Still, it smells delicious.

Wet on me: Moment of potential BPAL mishap terror: for the first couple of seconds after this hits my skin, it smells, i swear on my life, exactly like baby wipes. Fortunately, this disappears really fast, before this even dries.

After the initial scary smell, here come the lilies. The overall scent is still very spicy, but the floral from the lilies is starting to emerge.

Dry on me: Mmm. The lilies have turned creamy. I seem to smell a couple of floral notes-- maybe the different types of lilies? -- and they're mixing beautifully with the spicy notes. There's also a faint whiff of dirt, which might be a new part of the spice smell coming out to play. As a whole, it smells bold but very pretty on me; kinda sexy, actually.

Throw and duration: my husband can smell it from a few feet away even though i just dabbed very gently with the wand, so it seems to have great throw on me. Lasts a long time (6+ hours, at least) on me. Cool.

When i got this as a frimp, i wasn't all that excited, as jar-o-lilies didn't really seem like my sort of thing. But actually, i really like this. Not sure i'll ever buy a bottle, but i'll definitely keep the imp. It's made me more receptive to the idea of lilies.

Bottle: I'm getting the citrus notes that others seem to be picking up on.

Wet: My chemistry is a bit wonky right now but I swear this started smelling like anise. Perhaps it's the sassafras that others are picking up on? I'm not sure but it was pretty weird.

Dry: Now it's mellowed down into warm spices that I love with a slight underfloral that I don't love. Everything is so blended it's very difficult to pick out notes with my novice nose. I get a hint of the creaminess as well. It reminds me of mulled milk over lilies. Not that I've ever smelled "mulled milk" but y'know, if someone tried it, that's what it'd smell like!

Every time I put this fragrance on it smells different on me. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I don't. Tonight, I am really enjoying the spiciness of it. I think this will be one of those scents that I just wear for myself.

Edit: After I posted, the florals did their normal thing on me and went soapy. :P Ended up smelling like soap in a spicy potpourri bowl. I think I need to accept that florals just don't work on my skin.

Edited by jynxjynx

Imp: Spicy-citrus(?) with white florals. Seriously, smells a bit like cinnamon-orange!

Wet on skin: About the same, actually. A little more florally, maybe a little fruitier with red/purple fruit notes rather than just the citrus. Citrus staying under control, thank goodness.

A little while later: Pretty, more traditionally floral, and fading fast!

Not too much later: Faded to dry, white floral perfume smell. On some sniffs, still get a "purpley" fruit scent, but most of the exoticism of the initial sniffs seems to have worn off.

I'm not in a floral mood today, so I may have to try this one on another day, but for now it's a very "eh" scent for me.

On me, Voodoo Lily is a spicy, foody, green scent. It's interesting but not me, so I'll pass this on.

In the Bottle

A bitter, crisp lily with a slightly woody note.

On Me

The lily comes out, as does a spiciness, but after a few minutes, it smells almost like toilet cleaner on my skin. Half an hour in, it's changed again: I have a lovely blooming lilt with a darkish tinge-- the bitterness and the spiciness has gone, this is ALMOST close to Les Fleur Du Mal on me, only softer and not as violety. There's a hint of something sweet, but the lily doesn't let it get too sweet, which I appreciate.

A few hours later, I can still smell it on me: it's subtle and pretty.

The lime and the lily are duking it out...and then settle together, their differences resolved. The sweetness of the lily is nicely matched with the tartness of the lime. And then there's a spiciness, and...it turns to powder. D'oh! It was really exciting until that point.

In the bottle: Sweet-honeyed, spicy lilies.

Wet: Whoa, way spicier (ginger, and maybe cloves and cinnamon) and also sweeter. Less floral - which almost never happens on my skin. I must say the colours in the description - those bright, deep, exotic vivid tones - are perfectly evoked.

Dry: Medium throw, but pretty weak lasting power. The sweetness and spiciness calms down a bit, but the lilies are never as nice on my skin as they are in the bottle.

Summary: Very faint, spicy honeyed lilies. Gone within 2 hours despite slathering.

Faint spice is not my thing.

In the imp: Spicy lilies.

Wet: Definitely spicy lilies with a hint of cinnamon.

Dry: Fades fast and becomes citrusy. Still, spicy lilies linger behind the citrus notes.

Overall: I was hoping this wasn't a spicy-smelling concoction on me, but it is. Darn.

In the bottle, it smells citrusy to me.

Wet and as it dries down, it turns more spicy, still citrusy.

An hour after application, it has toned down a bit and it more floral, but I can't tell if it's lily or not. Though, that may be because I'm not 100% sure what lily smells like. :P

I went out on a limb buying this and I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised. Spicy scents are safe bets for me and I usually stay far away from florals, but thankfully this isn't too floral and the blend of citrus and spice notes really appeals to me. I think I might even be tempted to buy this in a bottle!

eta: I thought this was fading at the hour mark, but at 2 hours I can still smell it.. Did it become stronger? I think what I'm smelling now is that creamy lily scent mentioned above. This is nice, definitely a keeper. :D

Edited by maansloep

Oddly, on my skin this smells very similar to Queen of Sheba ("a bounty of golden honeyed almonds and a whisper of African and Middle Eastern spices") or Seraglio (Sweet almond and Mysor sandalwood enveloped by a heady veil of Bulgarian Rose, neroli, nutmeg, clove and orange peel). There's definitely a honey warmth, an almond note, and a faint, dusty spiciness, hand-in-hand with the lily floral.

Sadly, instant headache.

In imp: Woah, spicy floral, almost cinnamon-ey. Also get a whiff of something… citrus? Interesting.

On me: Er, juicy citrus? I swear I'm smelling limes or lemon or something. With a woody base. Bizarre. This lily is voodoo-ing up my nose. This is like a spicy lemon tea to me. Every so often I get a slight whiff of creamy flowers taunting me. Extremely odd, not what I was expecting at all.

Overall: Much brighter and less floral than I thought it would be. Expected heady, creamy lilies, got lemon spice. Looking at other reviews it seems this is really different on a lot of people. I'm not super-surprised, if there is any kind of citrus-like component in a blend my skin will make sure it overpowers everything else. Still like it though.

In bottle/imp: Spicy, peppery, fruity lily.

Immediately on skin: This is a peppery, sweet lily scent. At first sniff, the peppery kick in this reminds me of pink pepper though this note is a bit more soapy. In the background wafts a syrupy sweetness that’s almost like cola. The lily note hovers gently in this… it’s not your average lily, that’s for sure.

After a little while: This tones down… a LOT. It’s sweet, thick lily with a slightly fruity and spicy kick. The floral note is a lot more evident now, and really takes over the blend (as opposed to the spiciness that took charge at first).

Overall Impressions: The initial spiciness of this really intrigued me, but it settled down into something a bit more traditional. This might be interesting in a scent locket, though hopefully others have better luck of their skin not eating that delightful spiciness.

In bottle: A warm, spicy floral that has an almost biscuity tinge, like the base of a cheesecake. Smells very impressive in the bottle.

On skin: the floral-ness comes out even more. As it dries down it loses the biscuity edge that was there before to become a delicated, sexy floral. There's no powderiness in this one; it is a really nice floral and lot more 'inviting' than it is 'innocent'. There's a herbal element too.

The main problem with this on me is not how it smells (which is a delicious and unusual floral) but how it lasts. There's very little throw and the scent dies down in literally half an hour. For that reason I can't see myself getting a bottle, although I'll enjoy slathering the rest of my imp.