Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

I got this as a frimp from a forumite (aren't they the bestest? ;) ) Thank you so much!

I get the spice, too. It's spicy in the way carnation or ylang ylang is. Very reminiscent of clove. I don't get lilies at all, not in the way that I am used to in lily dominant blends like Lush's Death and Decay (or the Queen Bee Apothecary dupe: Grim Reaper) or my favorite lily blends from Deep Midnight like Last Breath or Mourning Glory. This is almost a completely different flower! No funeral lilies, if you were worried!

It's taking on a Yorick like papery note, which I was fond of in Yorick, but it is going sour here sadly. Irghhh. This will be a pretty carnation like blend in a locket for me looks like, but I won't need to seek out a bottle since I have a lot of those. Still, I like this enough to keep because it is unique. :)

The opening of this blend is low-key and almost forgettable -- it has a spiciness I associate with, of all things, opening a sealed pack of beef jerky. It has a similar, close to the skin spicy/salty/meaty comination.

That doesn't last long, though. As the scent dries off, it becomes something lush and 'jungle-y', with a tart fruit that smooths out into a sweet, purple floral. I would say this doesn't really have lily in it at all, but something more like the lab's orchid or lotus note? 

I will say that this is a scent that I like much better in my hair than on my skin -- the 'meaty' opening is almost nonexistent when its applied to the ends of my hair first, and I just end up with a cloud of spicy-limey-florals that I keep catching a whiff of as I go about my day. But on the whole, it's wonderful, and I'm glad to have it.

Edited by Kytha

agreed with kytha! 
on me, it's not so much as meaty as it is soapy, due to this one very screechy white floral, it doesn't smell exactly like lily, I'm thinking orchid, or iris..? It's a familiar soap smell. 

this screechy soapy note tones down a lot in my hair though, and i get this halo of green-purple florals.

5/10 for me

Edited by pommelo

Interesting. When I put it on it was just lily, then I got spice, and then it morphed into something that's hard to describe. It's somewhere between metallic, carbonated, soapy, citrusy, and candy-like. It's very bright on me, not rich or creamy or dark like other reviewers have experienced.  A strange one for sure, but not bad! It's like someone tossed citrus jellybeans, lime soda, and a bar of soap in a stainless steel sink and mixed them together which should be gross but I kinda dig it. Just surprise the lily disappeared, my skin usually loves lily.

Voodoo Lily starts out with that citrus that threatens to go all lemon pledge on me. It pulls back from full cleanser mode though the citrus remains prominent, backed with a heady lily and a hint of spice.  Fruity lily is not for me. 

I have had good luck with lilies from BPAL so far, and I'd say that Voodoo Lily continues that trend, though it's not my favorite of the lilies so probably won't end up a bottle scent for me.

On initial application, like most lilies on my skin, it has a creamy, nectary, spicy growing lily scent, also with some greener notes that make me think of the whole plant. It quickly evolves into those same lily plants but slightly crushed and not quite decaying but smelling like their thinking about it. It's a scent I definitely associate with humidity and living plants but towards the end of their life cycle. This is a good smell though, one I enjoy. There's definitely an underlying sharpness too it that keeps it from getting rot-sweet.

I'm not sure what I would wear this with, though I could see layering it in to a floral that had gotten to sugary for me to reel it back in. I'll definitely find uses for the imp I have.