Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Amorphallus, indeed. A breathtakingly exotic, wild, and grossly erotic spicy gold, purple-black, and burgundy lily.

In the imp: Interesting. This is dark and sweet at the same time, like an exceptionally tart SweetTart.

Wet on skin: Ok, it doesn't smell like a sweettart anymore, more like a sweet orange, with a floral edge. Orange blossom?

Dried down: Hmmmm........ this is getting a little greener, more herbal, but not to the point of bitterness (yay! I've had too many green blends go bitter on me).

Throw: There's a tartness to the throw, dancing with the floral. This is really pretty.

Verdict: **** Definitely keeping the decant. A bottle? Maybe. It's different than the ones I normally like - I'm just not sure how often i'd reach for it.

This is a simple scent for me. I do like it enough to finish the imp and really appreciate that it doesn't have much throw on me.

Right as this goes on, I get a strong hit of lily. As it starts drying, I get spices. It's close to the spices I get with silk road. No, I'm not sure which ones those are either, but it gives the same vibe for me. Plus, it doesn't leave burns. Later, it's just a light cream scent with faint whiffs of lily and spice trying to peek out.

Overall, it's a nice scent that I could see myself wearing from time to time.

Imp of unknown age! The oil is a pretty dark golden color. This falls into the "pleasant but not me" category. It's a pretty straightforward scent that didn't morph much on me -- just a clean floral with a hint of spice. Lily is often soapy and old-lady-ish on me, so I'm glad the spices are keeping it from going that direction, but I wouldn't call it sexy either. Just clean and simple. I don't see myself wearing it often but I'll probably keep the imp just to have something different to reach for once in a while.

When wet and drying down, very heavy lily, almost past their prime decaying smell. But complete dry down, spice with lighter floral background. Pretty, not much throw.

This is deep and resinous while in the imp and wet on the skin. Slightly spicy at first, then the pungent lilies come out from the depths. A bit more interesting than the usual run-of-the-mill floral scents, but still not really interesting enough for me to love it! Another one that's just not my style.

Imp: Muh? Musky, musty, ugly, messy, vaguely limp floral thing. What is this? Here goes nothing! No turning back!

Wet: Corn husks! Corn fields at night! These scents are shortly followed by... fruit loops? Yes, a fruit loop smell- like opening a bag of some sort of organic knock off fruitloops that have gone bad, but are also unsweetened, weirdly? Now it's marginally better, and has a strange icy citrus profile. I can't imagine that this will have much staying power on me. Maybe that's a good thing.

Dry: Fades into a dry, powdery floral with overtones of the type of store-brand detergent with a mysterious scent name that you sniff and then promptly put back on the shelf. Not only was it not memorable on me, it eventually had a legitimately poisonous feeling to it. This sort of thing wouldn't bother me if it was a wicked overtone and such- but this really reminded me of working with dangerous chemicals, and getting hints of sprays and things that I am not supposed to breathe in. Something about my skin chemistry turned this into a really hazardous-smelling brew. I will swap, and hope it turns to a dark and brooding lily on somebody else. Sad because I think so far lilies like me. Not this one though. This one was out to get me.

In the imp: A spicy floral (but I'm getting more spices than the floral component of the scent).

Wet: Mostly spices. I can definitely tell that it's a lily note now that it is on my skin, but the spices are more prominent than the floral note itself. I think this contains a mild, sweet cinnamon. I have sensitive skin, but this doesn't burn at all.

Dry: The lily note is a lot stronger now, and the spices seem softer, though they haven't decreased in strength.

Verdict: This kind of reminds me of a mild cinnamon gum. I won't be keeping my imp, but the description really matches the scent.

Wet/Imp - VERY lily heavy. I suppose it should be, but it's almost a rancid mix.

Wet/Skin (5 minutes) - Lime and rotting flowers. This is another blend I had to wash off of myself, as the Lilies were giving me a headache.

Let me start by saying, I was misled by this name. Voodoo is one of my favorite blends BPAL offers, and I was so excited to see another "Voodoo." Alas, this has nothing to do with Voodoo, and while I tried to not let my initial disappointment affect my views on this blend, but either way it just didn't work for me.

I really badly wanted to love this. With that said....

In bottle: Wet cinnamon, backed by lily.

On skin, wet: orange spice tea. Not a bad smell, to be sure, but not what I was looking for.

Drying/dried: Smells GOOD; exotic definitely. There's the lily again. I still smell cinnamon. It smells a lot, to me, like a candle I have (Orleans candle co.'s 'fireside)--- the cinnamon becomes something more like firewood.

I like this a lot, but I do not love it. Will use my imp up but probably will not buy any more.

Voodoo Lily is such a weird scent! At any given point, I'm never sure if I like it, but I feel the urge to keep it around.

First things first, this doesn't really have anything to do with the scent Voodoo or with the practice of voodoo, it's just the name of the plant. But if you google them, YOWZA, you can see why they have such a suggestive Latin name,

Wet, Voodoo Lily is floral and something weirdly savory but also sweet, like sweet pickles? There's a bit of incense too. The skin scent is more pickley while the throw is much nicer and more of a "normal" floral. But there's something "off" about it. And it turns out that one of the voodoo lilies is the plant known as the (spoiler cut for imagery you might not want in your head):

corpse flower

...which I have never actually smelled, but have heard a lot about. It does make sense for there to be an "off" quality, then, and I guess I should be glad Beth didn't make it any more naturalistic! :laugh:

It dries down to a floral that is odd and a little discomfiting, yet strangely pleasant, that's sort of spicy-nectar-lemon-honey, and I can't pin it down any more closely than that. It gives me a slight headache, so maybe I should swap it, but I feel like it needs more time to get to know it.

I got this as a free imp and I'm really glad I did, because I may have to purchase a bottle of this. I literally got this with the purchase of six Crimson Peak scents and I've worn it more than I've worn any of those scents, even though those scents are gorgeous.

When it first goes on, it's a spicy, almost syrupy floral. Everyone's said cinnamon, but I don't get anything out of it but carnation. Truly, I really hate carnation, even though it's a scent, and a strong one, in a lot of scents I do love (like, say, Alice or Maiden). That lily is in the background, though, and the carnation stage only lasts the first hour - then it fades into a warm, sweet, soft white lily that I wouldn't describe as sultry, sexy, spicy or any other hypersexualizied, exotifying term. It actually makes me feel like a secluded, solitary girl in a white dress reading by candlelight or some other thing.

I'd also say that this scent lasts a really, ridiculously long time on me, which I adore.

This came as a frimp, and that was cool, because it was on my interest list.

Bottle: Spicy lily! This lily blooms with cinnamon and a trace of clove.

Wet: Spicy lily with orange blossoms and plums.

Dry: The cinnamon strengthens for me as this dries. Occasionally I also get something tart, like cranberry.

I can’t smell this from my neck until I’ve been still for a bit, so the throw isn’t too much. I like the spice; my taste for florals is limited, but lily resonates for me. This combination works for me for some moods.

Got this as part of the oriental floral imp pack. This smells really good, a sharp greenness right out of the bottle that calms down a bit after application and drying. It becomes a lily dominant scent with an underlying bite. The throw is good at first, especially for a light floral. it faded a bit when dried but still has surprisingly good throw. This is a clean soapy floral with an undercurrent of something a bit mildly spicier. Actually on further thought I can't decide if it's "spicy" or “sharp". The color feeling from this is medium green and warm cream. This one's not as strong as some of the others I've tried so far and I tend to prefer stronger scents, but I really like this one and will keep the imp for days I feel like a lighter, fresher perfume.

Lily in the bottle. I don't know where all the hysteria of the description comes from; it's just a green, planty kind of lily which quickly breaks down into a powdery floral.

Voodoo Lily is definitely a morpher. I put a tad bit on my wrists and got ready for work. First impression... spicy lily. I like the scent of lilies and I like spices, so this was a good thing. Cinnamon? Nutmeg? Clove? I don't know, but I liked it. Not LOVE, but like. Ok, so I finish getting ready, I get in the car and start driving to work. I all of the sudden smell something wonderful. Like sugary sweet baked goods with lily flavored syrup poured on top. I realize that it's me! I really like how this smells after about an hour. Still debating on if I need a bottle...

In the imp it's oddly fruity, almost figgy and raspberryish but more artificial.

To be completely honest I'm really not quite sure what to say, I'm not too crazy about this. On drydown it goes slightly tarty, almost a faint smell of ginger cookies. That said... ...odd. :umm:

Wet: sweet and a touch soapy..l

Drying down: its taking on a distinct lemon pledge scent. I love the sweetness of lilies, but there's somethiny green and sharp here that's overwhelming it...yup, it smells like straight lemon citrus single note, barely a touch of floral.

Dry: so the floral does come out more, but its still soapy and powdery. Unless something really unexpected happens over the next hour, its safe to say this one didn't work for me. The lily note I love is there, but so is a bright in your fresh lemon note. If you like fresh citrus scents, and want the sweetness of the lily to be balanced by a fresh, green citrus-y note, then you definitely want to try this.

Edited by maudlinrose

Truly a spicy lily! I couldn't stop smelling myself all night, nor could my mother (lilies are her favorite). Something about this is reminiscent of cloves, and maybe even cinnamon sticks, stuck into an orange or tangerine. The lily itself is quite green and the actual floral scent is more subtle. I agree with the descriptions of a green/gold scent fading into more of a gold/red scent as it dries down. It lasted quite a while on me (at least 8 hours, I think) and left a nice trail as I wandered in and out of rooms. I can easily see it as a "party" scent.

Definitely a different kind of lily - kind of tangy, which often happens with purplish scents on me - they go berry tangy, even a little sour. I didn't really notice a goldness to it.

Weirdly, I think I get orange fizzy candies when it's wet. It's very sweet, and a little tart. And that goes away after it dries.

Once settled it changes to a really sweet lily scent. I'm not sure exactly where the orange candy came from, or went for that matter, but now all I'm left with is an almost tropical lily. Something about it screams beachy, but I can't put my finger on why. It's quite pleasant, though.

Frimp. I don't like lily or florals so am scared to try this! It doesn't smell straight-up floral in the imp which is promising. It's kind of citrus-alcohol. On my wrist it smells of straight-up soap. Shame! No saving this one.

Right away, I got a big hit of spice (and maybe sandalwood), but as it dried, a beautiful, creamy lily came out. Unfortunately, it continued to dance in and out around the spice when I would have preferred the opposite. I don't dislike the scent, but I think I'd rather have a purer lily.