Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Amorphallus, indeed. A breathtakingly exotic, wild, and grossly erotic spicy gold, purple-black, and burgundy lily.

In the Bottle
For a second I wondered if my imp was mislabeled. I immediately smelled citrus with a bit of sandalwood. So far this smells nothing like a lily.

On My Skin
Now I’m getting a foody citrus vibe with a bit of spice. I’m really surprised at the foody element. I wasn’t expecting that at all!

After a Bit
After a bit the citrus/foody element goes away and I’m left with a spicy lily scent. It’s a lovely oil but is fading fast. About 3 hours later and it’s mostly gone.

Rating 1-5
Scent - 3 Throw - 3 Longevity – 2
Overall (not an average) – 2.8

Final thoughts
It’s a nice blend and I’ll use the imp, but I don’t think I’d get a bottle of this. There are too many other floral/lily scents that I prefer.

Edited to add scent description Edited by Shollin

This smells like lilies, but very sweet and spicy ones. It's got good throw but it's not overpowering. There's a tangy quality here that I'm starting to notice in a lot of the Rappacini's Garden blends--it reminds me of walking into a greenhouse. This is nice but I think Black Lily beats it as my favorite lily so far.

Aw, shucks, I can't wear this one. It's got a brighter, more unusual smell in the imp; on me, though, it turns into a tangy lily that just says 'old lady perfume' to me, as mentioned in some of the other reviews as well. It's not a terribly unpleasant scent, but it's way too traditionally perfumy and sophisticatedly feminine for me - in short, it's just completely not me.

It does have quite good staying power on me, however; I had to wash it off after a few hours.

I was really hoping for an amazing exotic smell here. I love lilies as flowers - they look so inviting. But, alas, it wasn't meant to be.

In the imp, I smelled ginger, I think.

Wet on the skin, all I got was soap, soap, soap.

It faded completely away within an hour or so.

Sigh.

Now THIS is a floral I can love! I'm not much of a floral fan, most of the time I want to wash off flowery scents as fast as I can. This is so lovely and spicy and warm though, I want to wear it forever. In the imp, it's lovely mouthwatering spices mixed with a hint of heady lily. Wet on the skin, I get a tang of something citrusy or gingery, and more of those exotic spices. It smells good enough to eat! Dry, the lily blossoms and mingles with the exotic spices; I feel like I'm wandering an exotic spice market in the tropics. I can't stop smelling myself!

I really love this scent. I can't describe how wonderfully this seems to blend with my chemistry. It seems strong when I put my wrist to my face, but subtle enough for regular wear. My skin eats scent, so I'm curious to see how long this lasts.

(My first review... eep.)

This was a frimp from the lab (thank you!), but it literally made my eyes water in the bottle so I gave it to my mom. Now I'm trying it on anyway...

I definitely smell the lily when wet, and there's a little spice as well. For some reason I can't stop sniffing... and now my nose is itchy. ;p It almost goes fruity the more it dries down. I don't get "erotic" from this at all. It's nice, but not "erotic," to my mind at least.

I use this when I want: to smell spicy and intriguing. Probably not something I'd choose every day though.

in the imp: this reads as more citrus than floral to me, at least in the vial. like a lemon pie. yummy, but not a lily per se.

wet on skin: ok, now it's morphing. still not lily exactly, but a more *fruity* pie, like currant, maybe.

dry down: a spiced, fake carnation.

in all: i didn't have any particular expectations for this scent, so i'm not terribly disappointed. but it seems to miss the mark of what it's supposed to be, at least with *my* skin chemistry...

This goes on quite citrussy to me, not floral as I was expecting. Then a massive whoosh of spice comes out of nowhere and the citrus fades (As usual), it's extremely spicy bit I still wouldn't say it's a lily or floral....

Then it teeters on the edge of going soapy but it doesn't thank god! It's got a hell of alot of throw this oil and is swirling around me in a big circumference. Slightly pungent.

But when it calms...the spice settles more...the soapyness settles more and it has a gentle fizz to it that keeps it pleasant.

:) I like it but it's not bottle worthy for me.

In the bottle – Citrusy and slightly bitter (oddly not at all like lily)

Wet on me – Slightly sweetened grapefruit - odd

Dry on me – Slightly more floral with a slightly creamy note, but still predominantly citrus

Overall – I’m a bit bemused by this. I’m not really a lily fan so I prefer this to what I expected, but it doesn’t really grab me

i love a lot of lily scents, but unfortunately this is a lily that doesn't work on me - it's too bright, too strong, too perfumey - smells orange, somehow - but not a juicy orange, just an overly bright floral that makes me smell like an old lady or a tart - it's not a bad smell, just doesn't seem to jibe w/ my chemistry very well...

This is a lovely spicy lily scent. The spice note quickly turns to cinnamon before fading and as soon as the oil is dry on my skin, it's mostly lily with just a trace of the spice note.

Vaguely reddish spice scent - not too spicey, it's actually really subtle but has a reddish/warm vibe to it without being cinnamon-y. Not sure what to make of this otherwise though!

Alright, this went totally soapy on me. I'm guessing I can't wear lily. I've never had a reaction to any BPAL blend before, but I could NOT stop sneezing the instant I put this on. I tried to wait it out an hour but the sneezing fits just wouldn't cease. I just had to wash it off in the end.

Oooo! Sexy! Juicy purple spiced lily-deep and dark! Very nice on my skin-dark and rich and spicy...I know I'm repeating myself, but I don't know what else to say-this is the definition of exotic sexy floral! There is something citrussy I notice when this is on my skin-kind of grapefuity O_o An interesting mix of sexy deep lillies, purple (YES ITS A SMELL >_>), spices and grapefruit (??). A very good blend-not sure I would seek out a bottle, but I can see wearing it if a bottle fell into my lap.

In the imp: Very light purple cinnamon candy. Eh.

Wet: Exactly as the description! Spicy gold. Very bright, but sweet and dark at the same time. Very purple. Very, very purple. I dunno..it's exactly like the description. I want to bathe in my wrist. It's gorgeous and regal. A bold scent with much throw.

Dry: Smells like new car and plastic suntan lotion. Cars make me sick. I have to wash this off.

Overall: If this didn't dry, I'd wear it all the time! I have to accept the fact that lilies just don't work with my skin chemistry.

Another freebie from the lab.

When I red the description, I told myself this would be a rather... strange scent.

But, I love purple, and I like purple scents, so I was kind of excited.

One thing for sure, this is NOT purple.

You can called it yellow, orange or bright honey colour, but definitly, not purple.

I smell the lily, it's a bright, yellow lily...

Actually, it smells like... a pastry shop, with big bouquets of yellow and orange lilies all around.

It's spicy, foody, but still very floral...

It's a strong scent too... a little goes a long way.

In the dry down, the spiciness and foodiness retreats a bit, leaving more space to the bright golden lily... it's a nice, happy scent, that I will definitly wear as soon as the weather gets cooler...

To remind me of summer and sun.

Edited by Jupita

This is, unfortunately, the soapiest BPAL I've tried to date. I don't know what's in here, but my skin doesn't want to like it.

Pity, because in the imp it smells like there are a host of other, beautiful notes that would shine if they'd just poke their heads out of the soap.

Imp: Smells like...purple and green? Like the colors

Wet: Huh. Kinda nice, really. Smells like there's ginger in this, but it's not spicy really. So confused

Drydown: Blarg. Soapy purple lily. Oh well.

this one was very peculiar to me on my first whiff. it was a little bit of lily and a whole lot of ... something. is that the spicy everyone keeps noting? because it is a spicy scent, but not at all like the kind of spice my nose is generally used to. this one is a kind of ... bitter spicy? one that is very scratchy in my sinuses.

that strange spice is not unpleasant, but it's not exactly a me scent, either, so i was very happy that it melted away once applied to my skin. i love lily, despite it sometimes smelling a little soapy on me, and i am thrilled to find the lily blooming in all its lush and heady splendor now. this has a very nice throw as well; just sitting here typing i am catching beautiful whiffs of it.

and it appears the spiciness earlier did not melt entirely away but instead morphed into a much more attractive (to me!) spice note. something a little more brown sugar and a little less scratch&bite, although make no mistake, there is still a lot of scratch and bite to this flower. something here is also striking me as sharp and herbal, almost medicinal, but i am only catching it up close next to the skin. what an incredibly strange and intriguing oil! i am unsure yet whether or not we make a good couple, voodoo lily and i, but provided it doesn't take any nasty turns i can absolutely see this growing on me. as well, i love all things strange and intriguing, so this relationship looks promising. for now. ;)

Having just fallen IN LURVE (as in omg I want its babies in LOVE) with Black Lily, I decided I had to try out the other new lilies...

wet: a plant that grows buttery spice cookies?!?? God. This reminds me of Pumpkin Queen or the convergence scent that everyone was nuts about... I think Storyville?

drying: oh thank GOD the buttery notes disappear, and most of the foody ones. Now it's more of a lily-Sugar Cookie blend.

dry: what a change! It now reminds me a bit of mum moon is you replaced the chrysanthemum with lily. It's lily with a dark, smooth subtly spicy undertone. All of that scary foodiness from the begining is gone. It's not as dark & lovely as Mum Moon, but it's quite nice on its own & does seem like it'd make a hell of a layering scent. Then again, I need to try this again. I was intimidated by the OMG BUTTERY FOODY from the vial and only tested a wee tiny amount.

Two thumbs up! And I think 4 out of 5 stars. :)

In the imp: Bright, citrusy floral....very pretty.

Drydown: A bright floral with a touch of something spicy and citrusy. It's quite lovely....but an imp will definitely hold me over.

I got this ginger/citrus/vague floral in the imp, which should've made me nervous. And then on my skin, it turned into soapy ginger citrus scent that actually made me jerk back and spill about half the imp on the back of my hand and the desk. Yeah. This imp is going to the swaps, like, yesterday.

Out of the bottle: The first thing that hits me is whiskey, just like Lilith did.

Upon application: The whiskey vanishes and I get a soapy note at the bottom that sticks to the back of my nose, but there's something (or somethings) warmer and sweeter on top that make it not so sharp.

Drydown: About an hour later the soap is gone and it's softened up a lot. Sadly towards the end it morphs into something that reminds me of my mom's perfume, which gives me a headache :(.

My overall impression of the scent is like Lilith, but with less of a bite. I had to let Lilith go, but I'm willing to give this at least one more shot like I did with her.

Imp: The main scent I get in the imp is cypress, maybe? Definitely something pine-y that is not pine pitch or fir. Also a touch of lily and some gentle spices.

Wet: Seriously! I swear there's cypress in this. The lily goes on strong on my skin and dominates the drydown. Lilies love me, however, so this is not unexpected.

Dry: A soft, sweet, spiced lily scent. This doesn't strike me as purple, it strikes me as dry and white. Like a papery white lily drying in the sun. The drydown is similar to Mama Ji although less complex and without the backing florals. Still very pretty and warm, a little mature but definitely not that dreaded Old Lady Archetype.

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: I quite like this. I have a couple of different scent categories I like to keep around and I am a sucker for a pretty and unusual floral. This is the sort of unobtrusive scent that you will not smell on anyone else in the room.

Received this as a frimp with my first order (the salon I).

AMAZING. Sexy, intoxicating, made my eyes roll back in my head.

In imp: lily and fig. Deep spice in there as well. Exactly what you would think if you lazed around baking in the sun surrounded by lilies and eating syrupy fruits drenched in honey.

Wet: lily starts to pop and surrounds you along with a turbinado sugar smell. lovely.

Drydown: soft sugar and consistent wisps of heady lily. the fig note stays constant. this is a very balanced and consistent scent. No huge surprises however the progression was ecstacy.

That and my sweetheart couldn't stop sniffing me and commenting. ;)