Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

We have some trouble managing our flamingos, too. Pink lime, pink grapefruit, white nectarine, wild rose, sage, woody patchouli, bergamot, and ornery hedgehog musk.

Croquet struck me as lovely-sounding when it was first released, but I've only just gotten around to testing it (so many imps, so little time!). Mmm, it is pretty while wet! My skin seems to eat the fruit first though: I'm smelling creamy rose with a hint of woods and musk and just the slightest hint of lime and nectarine. I actually was hoping for more of a sparkling citrus summery scent--Croquet is pretty but "indistinct" on me, like it can't decide whether it wants to be floral or fruity with my chemistry, so it's a muddle. I guess I can't manage my flamingos either! :P Edited by Shollin

You know how disappointing it can be when you have your heart set on a scent, and it just doesn't work for you? Lucky for me, Croquet isn't that scent. I have wanted this since the very first time I made it all the way through the lab's website and this one just cracked me up. I got it as a frimp in a decant circle (thank you Diana!) and I am in LOVE. :P Croquet is very similar in tone to Serpents Wtih Sparkling Eyes and Forky Tongues, but it's not identical. I still love them both. I was praying that the sage wouldn't overpower the citrus, and it doesn't, but it's absolutely there. As is the musk. And it's just so... YUMMY. I mean, there's just no other word for it.

Croquet is the BOMB. I've never really found a signature fragrance before, but this juuuuuust might be it. I think I'm going to have to order a bottle, like, TODAY.

On the handy-dandy 1-5 scale? Off the charts, babeeee. Off the charts.

Edited since I can never seem to hit "post" without there being SOME kind of error.

Edited by Seadreamer

Very nice, as far as fresh fruity scents go.

Initially, all I get is citrus, but a very nice complex citrus.

Once it starts to dry down, the citrus evaporates (though it leaves behind a bit of its edge to keep the blend fresh) and I'm getting sweet creamy floral with a bit of sharpness and a touch of musk.

Nice. Probably not for me. Maybe in the summer, though.

This is rare -- a fruity, summery blend that I actually like. Playful and cheery, Croquet is a blend of juicy nectarine, sugary grapefruit and lime. Citrus typically amps on my skin and goes all sharp and yucky, but here it’s sweet and warm, helped out by lots of wonderful musk. There’s a drop of patchouli, which never hurts. I can’t smell the sage or rose. If a perfume can be adorable, Croquet is adorable. It makes me smile. I don’t think I’ll be ordering a bottle, but the imp will certainly get used.

In the imp: Ohhh! Interesting! Herbal citrus.

On my skin: La la laaaaaa love it citrus! First sniff on my skin I get a fresh burst of juicy, dripping citrus fruits squished together with sweet herbs...like a fizzy summer drink. This is clean smelling, like one of those really expensive shampoos they use at the hair salon, you know the kind you would've ever buy yourself and will make you furiously sniff your hair for hours after you get your hair washed and cut? Yeah, it's that. I want this in my hair RIGHT now! *dab* I'm not getting any patchouli at all...or rose.

Dry: As this dries it definitley becomes a bit more musky. I don't think this would've lasted very long on my skin if it weren't for the musk. It's a soft, pretty musk....possibly white? It gets along really well with the citrus and herbal notes.

Overall: Well it's about damn timeI tried this blend and since I've been CRAZY for citrus latley, I will be purchasing a large bottle of this. I love love love it! :wub2: Oh yeah *sniff* this is something I can wear every day, any time of year.

Croquet is so good! It smells sweet and fruity in the imp. As it dried, it became a happy citrus grounded with rose, patchouli and sage. It's rich, but light green. I'm probably going to wear this all the time when it gets hot this summer.

In the imp: Pink lemonade! The zingy pink lime and pink grapefruit jump right out in front. They pair very well with the white nectarine, which is giving this a mellow, delicate sweetness, and I can smell a touch of patchouli and musk in the background. A pale pink scent, light and bubbly and feminine, but those background notes suggest depth.

On, wet: Bright, tangy pink citrus, mellowed by the juicy white nectarine and rose and complicated by the clean, fresh bergamot and sage. The patchouli and musk give this a nice, almost creamy base… the hedgehog may be ornery, but his musk is mellow to me. :lol:

On, dry: This is extremely well blended and balanced—no one element stands out or steals the show. The rose really bloomed on the dry down, but it's a soft subtle rose, and it kind of forms the heart of the fragrance now, though all the other elements are in play. The white musk is also giving this a very innocent, clean (NOT soapy) quality that really makes me think of poor little Alice trying to manage her flamingo.

Later: Soft, glowing white musk with traces of pink citrus, sage and patchouli. At this stage, it almost reminds me of Oberon a bit—very fresh, very clean and natural.

Overall: I expected to be "meh" about this, but I actually really, really love it—it's just perfect for spring or summer. It's effervescent and youthful, juicy but neither too sweet nor too tangy, and the white musk and patchouli give it a depth that you wouldn't expect. It's a very pure, fresh scent, the kind that you could absolutely wear anywhere, and it makes me happy just to smell it.

Going on, this is a vaguely fruity and grassy scent. However, as it dries down, it turns (on me) into a soapy herbal. I am reminded of a "fresh-scent" laundry detergent. After several hours, it becomes mostly herbal in nature.

Recaplet: Laundry detergent herbal.

My rating: 2 of 5 (Meh.)

Color impression: Bluey-green like detergent.

I really hoped to love this one. I love the croquet scene in the book, and the concept of having a blend of that scent was so appealing....

Unfortunately, it was not to be. The type of citrus here is somewhat unpleasant combined with the other components here, and the type of sweetness that is left after the citrus fades is a bit disturbing.

Something about it smells "off". Not as in spoiled or rotten, but just unsuitable for my skin.

Sorry... off to swaps.

Wet, it's a bitter and bright swirl of citrus: pink grapefruit, lemon, and bergamot, with a sweetened edge. When it dries down the sage is more prominent, which lends a nice herbal note: I'm really digging herbal notes lately. I don't sense much musk, but the patchouli is a really nice base for this scent. But, the rose is rosey and increasingly prominent after a bit. Curiously enough wild rose is more well behaved on me than any other rose I've tried with BPAL. It's not unpleasant but it outweighs the other notes too much. If the rose was swapped for, say, cherry blossom or neroli (or another "blossom", really), I would love Croquet and wear it a lot. It's a lovely citrus-floral, and a quintessential springtime scent.

A fun, happy making scent. I never thought lime would be a note I sought out, but am I ever happy I gave it a try. The effervescence of lime blends can turn my mood around. Wonderful for springtime and summer. Light and fun.

When I lived in LA I frequented the zoo. They have a flock of flamingos and they had a very distinctive smell. Croquet reminds me of drinking a pink lemonade on a hot day outside the flamingo enclosure. Fascinating!

Imp: Cheery citrus with some musk to calm it down

Wet: Oooo. Smooth and creamy citrus. Not as bright as i was expecting. Something new and fun!

Drydown: Citrus is very subdued and it's mostly musky smooth rose with an edge of brightness.

Overall: This definitely needs another look. I could imagine it getting quite a bit of summer wear

This turns very generic clean, fresh, fruit/floral on me. It's nice, but I'd hoped for more juiciness. Swaps anyone?

In bottle/imp: Bright citrus with sweet, playful floral undertones.

Immediately on skin: This is a bright scent, and at first I get quite a bit of citrus. The lime comes to the front and as that settles into my nose I get a mix of nectarine, rose, and bergamot which somehow manage to smell like fruity and flowery candy when all mixed together. At the base is a hint of patchouli, which doesn’t dirty up the whole blend but instead gives it a solid stage to play about on.

After a little while: The high citrus note in this settles down pretty quickly and this becomes a slightly cologney/fruity/floral unisex scent. It’s not overly sweet and actually reminds me a little of oakmoss. The citrus is present, but blends nicely into the sweeter nectarine and rose. The bergamot comes forward quite a bit though and is probably is what is giving this that cologne type of feel. There is also a nice musk and patchouli finish that is very subtle, but melds everything together.

Overall Impressions: This scent was a very pleasant surprise. I don’t know if I’d actually wear it, but all the notes come together in a seamless way that creates this blend that’s rather unisex, but still bright, fruity, and floral. It’s actually rather subtle on me, but happy. I’ll have to give this another wear to see if it’s bottle worthy, but I can see wearing it on days where I need a pick-me-up.

wet I smell bright fruity musky floral goodness but dry it turns to citrus floral baby powder.

In bottle: Zingy, slightly cloying citrus.

On me, wet: Citrusy dish soap

On me, drying: The sharpness of the citrus disappears very quickly, leaving a nondescriptly sweetish scent with a trace of muskiness. Bummer.

Later: This totally smells like dish soap. Fake “lemon” scent without any of the brightness or freshness of real citrus. Helas!

Still Later: Not so dish-soapy anymore, but also not citrusy. I guess I’m smelling the rose and “ornery hedgehog musk”. It’s not horrible but it’s also nothing special – smells like a generic Perfume Smell.

Verdict: Sigh. This had so many great reviews, but for me it was really underwhelming.

I finally got to test this and it is such a fun summer scent! The citrus is very bold and bright but manages to avoid the Curse of Lemon Pledge I so often end up with! This was recommended when I asked for "lemonade-y scents" and I quite agree: It is very refreshing, and it lasts a surprisingly long time on me!

In Imp - Pink Citrus and a hint of patchouli (I'm very sensitive to the smell of patchouli, but I like it)

Wet on skin - a creamy citrus with musk and patchouli to ground it

Dry down - pink wild roses with a tart hint of citrus and an earthy hint of musk and patchouli. I love it! Must have more!

This was a frimp from the Lab - and I was so excited to get it. It has so many notes I looooooove - but something in here doesn't love me :(

In the imp, I smell blissful loveliness - sweet and tart (not like the candy) fruitiness - such hope...

but on my skin, instant soap (well, more like dishwasher detergent) and a very sharp note that I can't figure and do not care for. Then what I would call a chemical perfumey smell takes over. Poo.

Hmmmm - I wonder how it would do it a scent locket...

Mmmmm I love this. It's just like candy on me. I don't really get the patchouli or the musk at all. I just smell very sweet citrus. It actually kind of reminds me of Treat #1 - it smells very much like candy to me. But Treat #1 goes to instant soap on my skin, whereas Croquet stays lovely and makes me want to keep sniffing myself, which is always a good sign.

Mmm, this is soo beautiful in the imp and on for the first few minutes, I thought definite bottle purchase fer sure. A delicious lime with a twist, like a light musk. For some reason, some citrus's go department store body spray on me, and this is one of them, (Alien Invasion was another). A fake citrus, with a "deodorant" vibe. :( After awhile, I smell like fungus, WTF?? So sad, as this one smelled absolutely gorgeous for the first few minutes. I guess I'll stick to Embalming Fluid for my citrus fix. Very glad to try this though!!

Edited by milo

Vial: Lime and Nectarine, nice and fruity

On: Mostly lime, but the underpinnings are kinda making it a bit dusty and soapy... the non-fruity notes might clash with the fruit on me. Let's see where this is going.

Later: Soap and nothing else. This wasn't meant to be. Swap.

On initial application, it was very fruity... but almost immediately some florals budge their way in and take the center stage. It's very clean... a little too clean.. so clean that I'm getting the fearful dish soap too. I try to usually give oils the benefit of the doubt and not condemn them to a life in the cleaning supplies category, so this will be the first time that I say "yes.. I smell dish soap and even their bubbles" but only when I huff ;) When I wave my hand by my face, it's clean grapefruit. I hope that the patchouli will help this age into something wonderful because it has potential.

From the description, I hoped this would be heavier on the citrusy end.

First impression: floral, and very very sweet. Jelly beans?

Overall: This scent didn't appeal to me at all when I smelled it, so I was glad I only got an imp of it. I decided to give it another sniff recently to see if it's worth hanging on to, and this time around, it was nice. It is sweet, but it's an instant mood lifter. More of a warm weather scent.

Very very good smelling grapefruit shower gel. Not too soapy, but that is the association. I can pick out the other notes if I go looking for them, but the main act here is the citrus.

Also, disappears fast. If I loved grapefruit scents, I would love this.