Poisoned Apple

The queen stepped before her mirror:

Mirror, mirror, on the wall,
Who in this land is fairest of all?

The mirror answered:

You, my queen, are fair; it is true.
But Little Snow-White with the seven dwarfs
Is a thousand times fairer than you.

When the queen heard this, she shook and trembled with anger, "Snow-White will die, if it costs me my life!" Then she went into her most secret room -- no one else was allowed inside -- and she made a poisoned, poisoned apple. From the outside it was red and beautiful, and anyone who saw it would want it. Then she disguised herself as a peasant woman, went to the dwarfs' house and knocked on the door.

Snow-White peeped out and said, "I'm not allowed to let anyone in. The dwarfs have forbidden it most severely."

"If you don't want to, I can't force you," said the peasant woman. "I am selling these apples, and I will give you one to taste."

"No, I can't accept anything. The dwarfs don't want me to."

"If you are afraid, then I will cut the apple in two and eat half of it. Here, you eat the half with the beautiful red cheek!" Now the apple had been so artfully made that only the red half was poisoned. When Snow-White saw that the peasant woman was eating part of the apple, her desire for it grew stronger, so she finally let the woman hand her the other half through the window. She bit into it, but she barely had the bite in her mouth when she fell to the ground dead.

The queen was happy, went home, and asked her mirror:

Mirror, mirror, on the wall,
Who in this land is fairest of all?

And it answered:

You, my queen, are fairest of all.

A perfect, lovely, gleaming red apple whose sweetness masks a swirl of narcotic opium, oleander, and hemlock.

Poisoned Apple is straight up red apple, juicy, crisp, fragrant and a tad sour.
I adore apple scents, but they rarely work on my skin. This one starts off wonderfully with the perfect red apple note. But then the other notes come to play and the scent starts to turn sharp and powdery. I'm wondering if it's the opium or the hemlock that is making that sharp, powdery undercurrent.
[/font][/color]

In the Bottle: Ripe, red apple

Wet: Yup, tangy, ripe apple, just off the tree

Dry: Whoa! There's definitely something behind that lovely apple that makes it smell evil, in the best sense of the word. Opiummmmm gives it a bit of smokiness - really not sure what hemlock or oleander smell like, but the entire effect is luscious. A naughty, naughty apple.

Edited to add: In a third wearing, I finally put my finger on it - an APPLETINI!

Edited by loverstreet

in the imp, i just smell a bright, tart green apple, and i think: here we go again, it's a very nice, realistic apple, but that's about it. on my skin however, this gets much more interesting: at first, i get plantlike, outdoorsy, green smells, mixing with the apple - the hemlock perhaps? the scent develops on my skin, becoming quite a bit sultrier and darker...i guess i'm smelling the opium...it works really well with the apple. opium is often awful on me - sickly sweet. but in some combinations it works wonderfully, and in this case it seems to actually work. there's a touch of floral - the oliander i suppose - but it's also dark, and not a high, sweet, soapy floral at all. i think this is a really nice, unusual apple scent: a sexy, dark, smoky apple. i'm really happy to find another of the few rare scents w/ opium that work on me. thumbs way up!

Poisoned Apple – I don’t typically like apple scents. They usually turn rancid on my skin and when they don’t, I still associate the scent with those that do go rancid. This one doesn’t turn rancid on me. The apple is most definitely the strongest note, although there’s a faint touch of floral beneath the apple. It’s not really for me, but if you like apple, I would recommend you definitely try this one out! The throw is moderate and on me at least, the staying power is fairly poor.

Ever since Chrysanthemum Moon came out, I feel compelled to sample anything Beth releases with an opium note. Apple is an okay note for me. It's nothing that sells me on a blend, but it doesn't keep me from buying one either. Poisoned Apple begins smelling like single note crisp apple, completely without complexity. It quickly dips into too-sweet territory. After a bit, it draws back and the screaming apple fades a bit to the opium and oleander. I get the hemlock too, which is interesting. To me, hemlock smells cloying and rotten. Poisoned Apple has the feel of hemlock, but not the rot, if that makes sense. I'm glad I got to try this one, but ultimately it's just not for me. I generally prefer my opium with spices and resin.

I don't like smelling like fruit, but this had me at the name and concept. I was hoping it would be similar to the Poisoned Apple candle that BBW did this past fall. Of course, this is Beth we're talking about, so this is no dupe. It is crisper than the candle, with a more true apple scent. It smells like an evil apple. I wore it to a wedding and it felt great for that. Crisp and sparkly, but a little mischevious.

I think apple must be one of the sumo notes in a perfume because at first Poisoned Apple smelled like ...apple (duh)? So, a quick sniff-off with The Hesperides: Poisoned Apple has less throw and is more herbal - apples hanging out in an orchard with other vegetation, while the H-nymphs are apples hanging out in an oaken cask waiting to become cider.

This is an interesting variation on the apple concept, but I wouldn't want to smell like this every single day.

l love me some apples, so naturally I was drawn to this scent, but unfortunately i was looking for spring!apples as opposed to the evil ones. And even while I won't wear this as much as say, Ladon or The Hesperides, it captures the concept it was set out to evoke very well. The apple in here is perfect, crisp, and tart, and it's hard to see how anyone could resist it. Unfortunately, the oleander comes and ruins the fun, as usual.

Edited by little_galaxie

this will be a short review, apple. fresh juicy, almost makes me think i will need a napkin for all the juice. pure unadulterated apple.

Origin: Imp straight from the Lab.

Initial Thoughts: I've been slowly getting into more apple scents since the slew of Halloweenies last fall. I liked oleander in the one scent I tried with it (Hell's Belle), have been hit-or-miss with opium, and have no knowledge of hemlock.

In the Bottle: Very strongly apple, with hints of the oleander. I feel like I'm sniffing an apple I just plucked from the tree, in a little sunny grove.

Wet: Now I get the "poisoned" part. It's still apple, but there's a dark and sour tinge to it, warning me that this might not be a good thing to eat. I can smell the danger in it.

Drydown: Wow, this one fades pretty fast on me, leaving just the faintest trace of apple floral.

Verdict: Interesting in how it so perfectly captures the concept, but not something I'd wear.

In the imp: Mmm... green apple? I had expected red, but this smells like Granny Smith to me.

Wet: Apple, fresh, crunchy and sweet - very true to life. And it is a red apple, definitely - red and plump and juicy.

Drydown: Apple and oleander, with a darker, almost wooden herbal undersoring the blend. Me likey. I like the fact that the sweet and tart get levelled off as the blend warms, unfortunately, its so subtle that in a few minutes, it's easy to miss.

Poisoned Apple is all apple at first, but the subtle poisons come through as it warms. This is really a wonderful scent. I'm going to use up this imp and decide if this is THE apple scent of which I need a bottle. On first try, I think it may just be.

In the Imp: Scrumptious. Crisp red apple.

On me: I love apple scents, so I was excited to see this one in the last update. At first it smells absolutely lovely - crisp, fresh, juicy apple, which just a little bit of a smoky note. The crispness fades to a softer apple note fairly quickly, and the other notes show up a bit more (apple is still completely dominating, though.)

This has very little staying power though - within half an hour, it has mostly disappeared.

As far as apple scents, I still prefer Ladon, which lasts for hours on me. "Poison Apple" is great when I first put it on, but I'd have to reapply it every hour or so.

Edited by cecelle

POISONED APPLE

In Bottle: Apple

On Skin: Apple extreme with a earthy dirty note underneathe. The hemlock adds to the earthy plantyness of the scent. The opium gives a dark, deep background note and I smell a very sharp and sour floral… almost like rose but not quite. This scent is not a sweet apple, it’s more like one that has been picked too soon and is still hard and very tart. It’s not my thing, I’m not usually big on apple scents… but if you do like apple blends, this is a nice variation. Medium to strong throw and short to average wearlength.

In the bottle: A tangy green apple. Don't really catch the florals under there yet...

Wet: The apple still dominates but something in there smells sort of. Herbal? Earthy? With a small hint of something floral in there. Delicious.

Dry: Same as wet only older, more sinister. It's just how I'd imagine Snow White's cursed apple would smell. Definitely getting a bottle some time.

Almost all apple at first, but it fades down, and what's underneath it seems quite perfumey to me.

I don't usually like apple scents, and at first the apple was so strong in this that I didn't like it at all. But after it's dry I like it a lot better. It still has a hint of apple, but I like that scent that's under the apple. It's pretty. A little more tart than I usually go far, but it would be a good scent for the fall.

This is fantastic. I knew I wanted a 5 ml before I even tried it on my skin. This is a fresh, crisp, deliciously red apple scent with an evil, dark undertone. This is probably the strongest apple scent I've ever sniffed, it has really nice throw. The hemlock and opium combine to form a biting, sharp undercurrrent of sexiness. There is a bit of a sharpness shock when you first sniff this; it made me say WHOA, but immediately made me fall in love.

I love this, I will definitely be purchasing a 5 ml!! :P

To me, this is the emodient of the poisoned apple in Snow White. It is calling up the image of that sticky, glittering poisoned apple.

In the imp, it is pure apple. There really isn't a hint of that poison underneath but that's how it is in the fairytale too--you have no idea that it's been poisoned when you first see it. Immediately after applying, a smoky peppery scent emerges. It's somewhat sharp to the nose but in a good way. The poisoned part continues to unfold and then softly fades away to being very faint, leaving an apple floral scent. This is genius.

In the bottle: fresh, red, juicy apple. I feel like biting in it!!

On my skin: apple stays forward, but there's something else, something sharper, something darker that I'm not sure I recognize (I'd go for oleander though).

After a couple of hours: it fades away quite quickly, without morphing much.

Verdict: quite lovely, but I'd do without the "poisoned part" (opium and oleander). I don't think I need more.

I normally love apple scents, but bpal's apples tend to not work out well on me (they're either perfumey, soapy, or spicy instead of just a refreshing, crisp, sweet apple). I also hate bpal's opium, so I wasn't expecting great things from this blend.

In the imp, this reminds me of the apple in Snow, Glass Apples. It's a clean smelling apple, but the apple here is sweeter than the one in SGA. Compared to what I normally get from bpal's apple scents, this one is pretty true and good.

Unfortunately, the other notes in this still manage to ruin the lovely apple for me. For a while I get bitter herbs that smell slightly of dead fish on me :/ (but I doubt that'll happen to most people) and then the drydown is all beautiful apple + opium that smells like sharp, cheap hairspray on me.

I like the apple, but the 'poison' part is too bitter and sharp for me :P

Edited by Little Bird

oh, my, my, my.. this is my first review, and I just HAD to do it for Poisoned Apple. Straight out of the imp, this is such a deliciously perfect apple scent, I was in heaven... on the second sniff.. I got a bit of that "something darker".. and at the first application on my skin.. this warmed up to one of the most loveliest scent ever. Dark and juicy, it's perfect for getting into trouble.

This is definitely on my GC To-Buy List!!

I was so excited to see this appear in the general catalog. I've always loved the idea of the poisoned apple from Snow White, and I've been looking for a BPAL scent that was really very apple, so I went ahead and ordered a 5mL of this to add to my collection. I expected to like this, but I didn't expect it to be as unique as it is.

In the bottle, I smelled a very strong, juicy apple note. Not quite the "red delicious" smell I was imagining in my head when I ordered this, but more the tart "Granny Smith" variety that I actually prefer for eating because I personally like less sugary apples. I could also smell a little of the sleepy opium note that I've come to love so much in so many of my other BPALs.

After putting some on, the apples really bloomed into life and ripened up a bit. They're juicy and tart... so much so that I can actually almost taste them. I also clearly smell the smokiness of the opium, which I was hoping for. In the background there lurks a very faint earthy note that gives this a lot of depth, as well as something that smells quite herbal and perhaps a little poisonous. Perhaps that's the hemlock making an appearance. After this is on a bit, it sweetens up considerably, but remains beautiful... very much so.

This embodies the idea of the poisoned apple extremely well... better even than I thought it would. It also dries down to something very pretty and feminine... but feminine in a "mature and sexy" way as opposed to an "innocent little girl" way... so I can already see this becoming one of my "all-purpose" scents. It has the fresh juiciness I favor in my springtime scents, yet it has the dark sleepiness of the opium in it as well, so I could just as easily see myself reaching for this at bedtime or when it's cooler out. Overall this is yet another masterpiece to Beth's credit. Bravo! :P

Edited by glass_cat

As I love my Punkie Night, I couldn't resist Poisoned Apple--Apple and GC!

Wet, this is almost overpowering red apple with a sharp, almost papery-bitter core.

Dry, the apple ripens and a slightly woody note, a bit smokey, runs through it, and something a bit medicinal--maybe the opium? Longer on drydown, a simple floral comes out and the apple slides into the background. Much more complex than the all tart fruit of PN; the drydown would not be out of place at work and would not smell obviously fruity. Would also be a dangerous-evening scent.