Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Poisoned Apple

A perfect, lovely, gleaming red apple whose sweetness masks a swirl of narcotic opium, oleander, and hemlock.

To my nose: Apples! A mix of red and green apples. I'd say there are more green and tart ones than red and sweet.

On: First of all I acidentally spilled a little with my imp..hmh..Second of all it's very strong soapy apples. But there is something else too. Something very sharp. It smells like apples, but when you inhale deeply there is this..I guess you can call it poison, lol!

Rapunzel in Ballpoint is a more "true to life" apple, where as this really is a fairytale-poisoned apple. It doesn't smell rotten or bad in any way. but it..smells weird. and of course appley.

After two hours it kinda smells like apples and black licorice.
It's nice, but I prefer Rapunzel for my apple-fix.

I don't get green apple from this. The apple itself is definitely red, in fact I keep thinking Red Delicious in particular, but there's greenness there from the other notes. After drying, it's less fresh apples and more apple blossoms and oleander, mixed with herbal, medicinal greens. A little similar to Beer From the Marsh Woman's Brewery, only not so bitter or hoppy, and with some dirt notes. Feminine and mature, yet down-to-earth.

Throw is a little on the light side, and fades within a couple hours on me. Keeping the imp for sure, but not a bottle scent for me.

In the imp and wet on my skin, this was a crisp, sweet-tart apple, juicy and fresh. As it dried down, the apple went into more of a musky-blossomy stage which was lovely in itself. My skin just ate this one up, though. By about the 1 hour mark, there was nothing left to smell. Crap.

In the imp: A stunning red apple! After I get past the initial apple hit, I can just barely smell some fairytale-esque poisons lurking in the background. This is exactly what I imagine the poisoned apple in Snow White to smell like!

Wet on skin: The poisons have come out more now. This must be what the apple smells like immediately after the Queen poisons it.

Dry on skin: This is amping far less than I remember it doing (last time this smelled exactly the same on me as it did in the imp for aaaages), but it's still a sweet, delicious, red apple with a little hint of poison! Very cool!

After a few hours: The apple has sweetened up a lot & the poisons are much more faint now. It's almost soapy.

Verdict: Not quite as amazing as I remember it being last time I wore it, but still nice. I think I'll have to test this a couple more times, maybe my skin just doesn't like it as much today.

In the imp: Sweet red apple with a slight sour edge, I'm not a huge fan of apple scents so I don't know if I'll really like this one.

Wet: Ok, the red apple takes over big time and it's pretty much all I'm able to smell for the first few minutes however as the scent begins to dry I can notice a musky base coming through, possibly the opium?

Dry: The poisons are finally starting to show, and it's a pleasure to the nose on comparison to the apple note, and it does make this scent somewhat wearable and relatively nice.

Overall: Poisoned Apple is a nice enough scent but I'm fairly sure it's not for me and it won't require a bottle.

Edited by NikS

This is...surprisingly nice! I never would have picked this up on my own, but the lap frimped it to me and I'm really digging it. As I amp sweet things, I assumed the apple would turn into fake apple sugar hell, but it's a mild, bright apple at first, that's flanked by some dark resins/florals that keep it from being too simple or one note. The apple comes and goes in strength, but it always there in some form. The fruit makes it feminine and playful, and the "poison" keeps it adult. As most of my perfumes are in the masculine scent category, this will be a nice addition to those times I need something girly but not overly sexy.

Perfect bright juicy apple (cross between green and red but i would say red) as it drys it start to morph between apple and the poisons with the opium, oleander, and hemlock. Perfect apple scent with a dark twist.

Wet - Apple!

Drying - It smells like fresh apple at first but continues to get sweeter. It now smells like an apple candy. It's a candy I would eat but I don't want to smell like it. XD

In the imp: Fruity floral and a bit like bathroom cleaner (not in a bad way)

Wet: Sour apples, the kind that are perfectly edible but just tangy enough to make your mouth water.

Dry: Still sour apples. It's like a really fresh, natural version of the Donna Karan apple one.

A juicy Red Delicious apple with something nefarious below the surface. Guaranteed to make you feel like the fairest of them all.

Wet: Apple. with something a hint darker underneath. Apple without being too foodie, somehow.

Dry: I've been looking for a perfect apple blend, and this might be it if it has some staying power. So far every apple blend I've tried has disappeared in minutes. This has hung on half an hour so far. There's something about this that takes it from being "apple" to "apple perfume" but I can't really put my finger on what. I think maybe the hemlock, as I don't get any oleander or opium, but I don't actually know what Hemlock smells like.

Apple. Apple apple apple apple apple. Perfect. Not getting other notes and don't care. I love Arcana's apple note and this is just a touch more "raw red apple" and slightly less sweet. Perfect fall fragrance. I need to go apple-picking now.

in the imp: Fresh fresh fresh Red Delicious apple

wet: like a just-bitten Red Delicious apple – pulp, skin, and juice dribbling down your chin

dry: oh interesting – I thought this would stay straight up apple, but about 30 minutes after applying, something almost cinnamony comes forward; the opium really begins to bloom here and the entire scent deepens and grows slightly sinister. Ten minutes later, my skin has completely gobbled it up and the scent is completely gone. :(

Overall: Poisoned Apple is more of a scent story than a perfume scent for me, but it's interesting enough to keep the imp around!

i will preface this by saying that this was a frimp and i am not a big apple or fruit fan here. it starts off like a tart green apple. it's very realistic. after a few minutes i get something boozy. it smells like apples soaked in champagne now. maybe it's the hemlock? it's kind of green and a bit herbal/leafy. after awhile i get some opium and florals which just soften and sweeten the tartness of the apple.

Oh, an apple laced with wickedness. The apple is very prominent when wet while the wicked poisons linger - it might make you hesitate, but the sweet apple smell is so tempting.

Just received this imp with my current order, I was excited to try it because I like apple scents and of course I was lured in by the name. I was in the mood to wear this today since I am currently working on an art doll of the Wicked Queen from Snow White and I wanted a little something extra to put me in the headspace to bring her to life properly.

Imp: My first impression was that it smells really nice, like a juicy apple, a tad sour, like a green jolly rancher candy. But there is a hint of something else that I can't put my finger on.

Skin: The apple stays for literally about a minute, which is a damn shame, but then it becomes much more floral, like sugared apple blossoms, it must be the Oleander or Hemlock. I'm not smelling the Opium. It's a strong smell but not cloying at all. Verdict: I like it but it's just not me, so I don't think I would order a full bottle. I think it may be best kept for a scent locket so I can enjoy the apple without it turning too floral.

The strange thing is I went shopping with my mom and when she smelled it she completely got something different..she said it smelled like Indian or Eastern spices or like incense/ patchouli to her. She didn't smell apple at all. I have no idea where she was getting any of that from but I thought it was interesting.

This was the scent that started me on my love affair with the Lab. This is my review as it appears on the site:

"I had my doubts about this one. I opened the imp and tart, tart apple flooded out with a disturbing sort of sour note. Wet it smells like, well, apples. But not a fresh, cheery apple scent, more like apples that have fallen off the tree and are rotting in leaf litter and saturated earth. It smells like the death of an apple orchard. But then, when it dries, that is when the magic happens. And my god, is it magical! I can believe wholeheartedly that this is the apple that the wicked queen gave to Snow White. It's a full, rounded mature apple scent. Adult somehow. It's beautifully mingled with deceptively soft, spicy florals that keep you coming back to sniff. It's a dangerous seduction. It's the apple Eve ate. It's the first time I've loved an apple scent and I will absolutely be buying a full bottle..."

The throw on this one is strong and on me it lasts over 12 hours. As the imp has gotten older, the apple takes on a darker note. I honestly can't explain it any better than that. It smells "sinister". I put this one on when I'm feeling particularly "girl gone wild". Lol. I'm getting to the end of my imp, so it's time to order that bottle. :)

Edited by SunsetKay

I have to give it points for how well it truly represents the idea of a poisoned apple. If someone made a cough syrup flavored with apple instead of cherry, this would be it. It's just that from previous reviews I had expected the "poison" to be concealed initially by an inviting, juicy, mouthwatering fruit at the start, and then slowly creep out as the fragrance warms up on the skin.

Not so though. Maybe it's just the variation in the recent batch because even out of the bottle, the medicinal bite of hemlock, oleander, and opium are very very apparent alongside the honey-sweet apple for me. This smells like an apple I most definitely do NOT want to bite into.

Edited by Nightphlox

Imp: Apple with a slight touch of herb
Wet on Me: sharp crisp apple. almost tart but not full tart
Drying Down: okay less sharp apple and more opium and herb. almost spicy
Dry: addicting apple and herb with opium. very pleasant

Starts off as all sweet red apple. Dry I get mostly apple, with a bitterness underneath. Perfect execution of the concept, but not sure if it's for me!

Wet on my skin, this is a waxy red apple with touches of green and opium (more of the former than the latter), and maybe a tiny-wee drop of honey hidden within. The apple is a bit tart like a Gala, but also a little sour, and overall reminds me more of a Red Delicious, waxy skin and all. There’s something floral about the blend, but I’m not familiar with oleander.

After drydown, I don’t smell the hemlock anymore, but there seems to be a sweetness apart from the apple that might be the oleander. It blends well with the red apple, but there’s something a little unpleasant to me on the end of an inhale of it, a little bitter and overly dried. It smells like a bitter blow dryer.

This starts off well, but maybe oleander doesn’t work for me.

My very first "grown up" perfume was heavily apple-based (Nina Ricci's Nina, the 2006 version, for those curious), and since I swapped away that bottle I really haven't worn apple perfumes since. BPAL seems to be turning me into an apple hoarder, though, because so far every apple scent of theirs I've tried is pretty much magic. This one is no exception--if you know the scene in the Disney version where the witch is poisoning the apple and it turns green for a moment, that is exactly what this smells like.

It starts off with the truest crisp red apple scent I've ever smelled, and then the herbs start to come in and add some green earthiness and tartness. One everything settles it ends up smelling almost like a green apple, although there is a thick, waxy apple-skin-like note that keeps it just barely red. Maybe it's because of the other herbs, but I could even swear I smell the stem! It sits very close to the skin but the way it transforms on me really is magical and I'll probably end up getting a bottle.

ETA: Because this is almost exactly the same in the bottle and on skin, this works great in a scent locket and lasts significantly longer that way. Throughout the day I get soft whiffs of it, when it otherwise has almost no throw.

Edited by lizabelle

While still wet, this is a bitter, deep red apple soaked in liquid evil. It's just the thing for a spring day when you want to smell just a little unclean.

Unfortunately, as it dries there's something that gives me The Quease, a surefire indicator of an impending migraine. I had to wash it off quickly to keep it from going any further.

Those first few minutes were wonderfully tart and made me feel a bit like a bad girl pretending to be good.

When I saw this frimp I wasn't sure I would like it. I didn't have much faith in fruity scents, ESPECIALLY apple, because I'm not even a big fan of that particular flavor. Then I opened the bottle and frankly I adore it.

Apples hit me first, and I nearly got that feeling of smelling like food- but then the hemlock and oleander kicked in and I instantly realized this was not an apple anyone would eat. It's very tart and herbaceous, still completely apple-y, and it suits its name perfectly. I don't even mind that it has a very long lasting scent that only gets more tart and dry in time, so more of the opium comes out.

I even feel a bit like a Wicked Queen, and I like it. XD

Turns out I'm a big fan of BPAL's apple scents. This one reminds me a lot of Apple VI from the Halloweenie line - a strong blast of chilled apple, either red or golden for me, not green, with an intriguing medicinal/herbal note to it. If someone offers you an apple that smells like this, do not eat it!