Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Poisoned Apple

A perfect, lovely, gleaming red apple whose sweetness masks a swirl of narcotic opium, oleander, and hemlock.

I, too, found the apple to be more green and sour than the traditional red apple that the description states. It's certainly not what I would term as sweet which makes me a wee bit sad. There's a bitter "aftertaste" to it that definitely screams "poisonous green apple here, u guise" to me. I'm glad I got to try this imp, but I don't see it as my ideal apple scent. I much prefer sweet to sour when it comes to my perfume.

I wanted this one for a while, knowing I would love it because I. Love. Apple. Scents.

And it does not disappoint. Open the bottle and it screams, "APPLES!"

On me, it continues to shout, though it comes to an abrupt finish, as the scent fades rather quickly on me. No matter, I'll just slather on some more!

Wet: strong red apple with a hint of opium and hemlock. No oleander at this stage.

Drydown: a more bitter tang appears as the sweetness wears off. Oleander appears but is slipping in and out of the frame. I was hoping for a bit more opium here. Still nice but I wanted it headier instead of dry green bitter w/ red apple.

HAHAH! When I opened this imp up I went, "...OOOOOOOOH! OH! THAT'S APPLE! O_O"

So yes, I'm kinda digging this one. :lol: I know it says "red apple" in the description but I can't help imaging this as a light, green apple, sort of glowing with poison. It's delicious smelling! There's something else to it, lurking behind the apple, that makes this scent darker and sexy. It almost seems kind of sweet and musky on my skin, the longer it stays on me. I like this one a lot. Anyone who is specifically looking for an "apple" scent, give this one a try for sure.

I just wanted to add, I wore this to work tonight, and it has a pretty damn good staying power. Usually, I have to reapply my other oils more than twice a night, but this one I could still smell on myself till nearly 4am after applying at 10pm. Very nice.

Edited by Ryokumuji

In the vial - Soft, rosy-skinned apple with an undercurrent of dark greenery.

Wet on the skin - This is lovely! The apple scent is bewitchingly delicious; I'm definitely getting a soft-fleshed red apple like a Pink Lady instead of the crisp tartness of another variety. Almost immediately there's a murky dark green note emerging which threatens to overtake the sweetness.

Next stages - I very rarely like dark green notes like hemlok, but the resinous quality of the opium really balances out the dark, cool dampness of the greenery. The oleander is deceptively sweet, lending a powdery edge to the blend.

Dry down - Half an hour in, the apple is fighting back against the herbs! The lovely juicy sweetness has mellowed and softened.

A lovely, light but balanced daytime scent that will be wonderful for Spring.

The Lab gave me two frimps of this in my latest order...what are they trying to tell me? Am I Snow White?

Anyway...this is indeed a beautiful red apple scent from the imp, but I detect a bit of other stuff lurking too, something powdery and floral. On me, some florals come out and provide a mysterious, smoky sort of background to the apple, although the apple is still center stage.

And it’s such a delicious red apple scent, too! It’s making me really want an apple right now. It has a sort of grainy feel to it, like good apple and pear scents do, and a sharper, redder peel scent...perfect. Oh how I love BPAL’s apple note. I’m glad I got two frimps of this!

In the Vial: This is a very wet, juicy scent. It's gorgeous green apple with a lot of greenery behind it, and maybe even a hint of mint. I'm surprised at how many of the reviews say it smells like an apple single note, because I'm getting so much more from it!

Wet: Apple, apple, apple! How I love apple! It's a little dark and smoky at first, but it gets brighter and sweeter on the drydown. It smells much more like a red apple than a green apple now.

Dry: A little powdery, but still so good. I love how this truly does not smell like a friendly apple. It captures the concept perfectly.

An Hour Later: Aw, I'm a little disappointed. A lot of the evilness has worn off, and this reminds me a lot of The Hesperides now - sweet and woodsy. It's also kind of doing that weird buttery thing that scents like to do on my skin.

Overall: A very interesting apple scent! I just wish it didn't change so much on my skin. I'll have to wear this a few more times before deciding whether or not to keep it.

This is my first review here, so bear with me. (I'm an old hand at writing reviews on a site like MUA, but fragrance reviews are much more involved than makeup reviews.)

Poisoned Apple was the number one thing I wanted to try from BPAL. I will admit that part of the allure is the name, but I also like apple scents that aren't too fruity or sweet. I have no idea how old the imp that I got is as it was a very thoughtful gift from one of my new BPAL forum friends. In the vial, Poisoned Apple is pretty much an apple scent with a touch of *something else." It doesn't smell like red apples to me at all though, it smells more like tart pinkish apples (ie Honeycrisp or Pink Lady) or green apples (ie Golden Delicious.) However, I like the tartness of it. On my skin, the undercurrent of darkness comes out a lot more. The best way I can describe the way that Poisoned Apple smells on me is that there was a nearly-ripe apple that fell onto a bed of leaves and dirt. (I understand that there are no dirt or leaf notes in this particular blend, but when it all comes together that's the scent-image that I get.) After a little while the smoke does come out a bit more, but it's still a dirty-smoky-bright apple scent. The juxtaposition of ideas (dark, dirty, smoky with bright, fresh and crisp) is just so beautiful and appealing. The Lab did a superb job of balancing Poisoned Apple just right so it's neither too fruity or too macabre. A++ in my book. :D

Edited to reduce redundancy.

Edited by killersandliars

Wet, a juicy red apple, though it is not all that realistic to me, but it still smells good. Dry, still the apple, but something a bit dusty and evergreen-like in the background. I've always written off apple, but have found that it smells quite refreshing on me. I like this, and it makes me want to try other apple blends, but the dusty note is annoying me, though it does fade in and out. It kind of reminds me of those round flavoured lolly pops that are at the checkout of some healthier minded food stores, or those old fashioned straight candies in apple flavour of course!

I generally don't care for apple scents -- they're always artificial smelling to me -- and I'm afraid this one was no exception. It started out as a very strong red apple note, with a faint note of something sort of rooty and moldy, which I take to be the hemlock. Not very complex, and definitely did not work at all for me.

Apples, then the "poison" kicked in.

I thought at first I didn't like it but then realized "Duh, that's how it's supposed to smell!".

I might not wear this all the time, but I will wear it.

There's not much that I can say that hasn't already been said here, but I'll give it a go. This is exactly what I thought a poisoned apple would smell like. At first, just crisp fresh apple. After about a half hour, the poison starts to come though and only deepens the longer I wear it. I can definitely pick out the oleander. I recognize it from smelling the actual flower in our local conservatory.

Yes, defiantly an evil, dangerous apple. I love it!

Poisoned Apple is pretty true to its name. It starts out with a sweet, bright, red apple, but after it begins to dry, the poisons seep out. It's everything I would expect from this scent: an apple masking dangerous florals. Poisoned Apple is VERY sweet on my skin. The apple is most definitely red for me, which isn't my favorite type of apple. I think it's very pretty, but not a "me" scent as it's just too sweet and cloying.

Apple as a note usually works for me, but Poisoned Apple will either be a scent I use sparingly or gift to a friend who fell in love with it.

Edited by Lyssa

Wet: Crispy green apple. As others have said, it's definitely green, not red.

Drydown: It starts as green apple with a touch of something musky. Then, the apple fades to a mere hint and a musky resin takes over. It's soft and sweet.

Dry: Resiny musk with a touch of Golden Delicious.

A great apple scent. I know the musk/resin was coming from the opium, but for some reason it never actually smelled like opium. The smokiness was missing I think. Overall the scent works well, but I think I'd prefer a bit more poison in my apples.

6 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

This was my first BPAL love, tangled unfortunately with lust and heartbreak. I will always love this scent; the way that the apple is so true, with something so delicious and sinister at the core. I usually despise artificial fruity scents [DKNY Delicious] but this one is perfect. Completely and utterly round and glistening.

To smell it on him now would be devastating. I suppose I should reclaim it as my own but I can't bear to wear it. It has a dangerous power over me. If this scent did not belong to someone else, I would absolutely wear it all the time.

Preconceived notions: First BPAL order, and apple is one of the very few notes that I KNOW I like. The description of “dark apple” sounds perfect for me (and I instantly thought of the Dark Brotherhood’s poisoned apples in TES:IV Oblivon and had a small fangirl squee). I have high hopes for this.

In the imp – APPLE. Wow. Sharp, green, tart apple, like it’s just been sliced. Holy CRAP. (Upon a second sniff the initial uncapping blast has died down and I can now detect something darker underneath)

Wet – topnote of APPLE! with…hmm. My nose is pretty shot after testing all my imps, so I can’t tell if the swirling darkness underneath is Poisoned Apple or the residue of something else… By the same token, I can barely smell the apple on my wrists anymore, but I get a whiff every 20 seconds or so from the dab on my collarbone and it’s as bright and strong as ever. Wtf, self? Do my wrists eat apple???

Drydown – Noooooooooo! It’s gone! If I get REALLY close to my wrists I can smell a nice, pleasant dark murky green scent, maybe with a hint of wood, with an overlay of sweetness that I suppose is the apple. But it’s extremely faint. I’m going to have to test this later when my nose isn’t so fried…damn, I really wanted to love this, but it’s just too weak and not enough apple for me right now.

Round 2 – Tested this again and was much, much happier. The apple scent this time was red, not green – rich, true red apple, more of the peel than the fruit, absolutely lovely. As it dried the evil green herbs came through. It lasted moderately long, too. I like this a lot. Possibly enough for a bottle.

In the imp: Apple.

On skin, wet: Apple with a very slight herbal hint.

On skin, dry: Pretty much the same. Not quite straight up apple, but close.

After an hour: Dangit. Oleander has appeared! Soapy apple. Was hoping this would be a potential replacement for my beloved Hesperides, but no luck.

In the Imp (ITI): Juicy apple emerges as soon as I open the imp. I can’t smell much after that though.

Wet: Ripe Pink Lady apples with opium winding its way around the luscious piece of fruit. The hemlock comes in about 60 seconds later with a very faint hint of greenness at the end of my intake of breath.

Dry: After a brisk walk and some errands, not much is left on my skin save the faintest hint of apple and opium.

I was born on October 30th, so fall scents are always a favorite. Spices, leaves, smoke, pumpkins, and of course, apples. So when I decided to try something new, I gravitated towards Poisoned Apple.

In Bottle: Smells a little like a green apple jolly rancher mixed with artificial apple scented candle. A touch of something floural

On skin wet: HOLY !@#$$ Owowowowow. My nose is burning from the florals. I don't know which of the three, if not all of them are too powerful, but I do not like this this. The apple isn't the front player at all. If Snow White's apple tasted the way this smells, I'm not surprised she went into a dead faint.

On skin dry: Thank god it only took a few minutes for the dry down to make the notes behave, and let the apple come out again. They work in harmony, and its quite soothing with a little touch of something spicy.

I'm glad I took the time to let it mellow, but my nose still stings.

Apple is one of my favorite scents (and fruits) and the idea of a Poisoned Apple was just, wow, must have. :heart:

In the imp - Apple! Apple! So much apple... with hints of something darker and green underneath. Love it.

On me (wet) - Still smell the apple but now there's definitely something green coming out. I think it's the hemlock with either the oleander or opium along with it.

On me (dry) - The apple went away! :cry2: There's just the hemlock and either the oleander or opium left (I'm not sure which) and it did fade after a several hours. I do like the end result on me, but I wish the apple had stuck around.

Overall - I love this in the imp, it smells to much like a ripe, juicy apple that's tinged with something dangerous. I like the result on me but I'm disappointed that the apple disappeared. The imp is definitely going to be used up, but I doubt this will be a full bottle purchase. I wouldn't say not to another imp in the future.

POISONED APPLE

Yellow oil, tested blind.

In Vitro Sweet and fruity.

Wet Strong fruit, with some throw during application. At first it smelled juicy and not spicy; a few minutes later it was much less juicy and slightly sharper.

Drying In drydown this was faded but reasonably strong, still sweet fruit. The sweetness remained but after forty-five minutes the scent was less distinctly fruity.

A nice enough apple fragrance but I hoped for something more sinister, or at least more green. A few days after the initial test I layered Poisoned Apple with Brimstone to darken and spice it up and the result was much more interesting.

I already really wanted to try this, given the name and the concept, and then got a frimp from the Lab with my latest order. Yay!

In the bottle: BAM the apple knocks you on the head, like Newton. No kidding, I couldn't smell anything but apple for a couple of minutes! This really does smell exactly like a crisp ripe juicy sweet apple. Wow. Seemed more red than green to me, but tart. It's absolutely Essence of Apple. That's impressive.

Wet: On my skin this changes almost instantly into something else -- darker, more floral. It also gets a LOT fainter, even though I slathered it on. The apple note stays on top, but the other notes are getting stronger.

Drydown: There was a sort of alternation from sweet apple to the darker, muskier scent. The apple note still smelled great, but I didn't like the "poison" notes, and on me the two didn't really blend -- separate halves of the apple indeed! Then the apple went away completely and I was left with this faint, complex, dark musky scent that weirdly had an undertone of powder. After an hour all I had was the faint powder, and even that faded away -- almost no staying power on me.

Verdict: Loved smelling the APPLE! in the imp, and I liked the switching from apple to poison and back again, but I didn't like the musk or the powder (think that was the opium and oleander). Great idea, great execution, but the final scent is too faint and flowery and goes pouf.

I saw a lot of people comparing this to Hesperides, which is one of my all-time faves -- to me that scent was a lot heavier and sweeter. I'll try this again and see if it lasts longer (and maybe skip sniffing the imp), but it burns out so fast on me I doubt I'll buy it. I might try putting it in a scent locket to see if I can get that great apple note to last (a girl needs an excuse for an $80 scent locket, right?).

Edited by theredshoes

This was suggested to me in the forum and I am so glad I tried this out.

When I first opened the imp, I caught a whiff of something I could not put my finger on. Whatever it was it made me feel peaceful.

In the imp I get green apple and something else. Something darker and something sharp and pepper like.

On my skin it turns into pure apple. Not a "fake" apple scent. This smells very much like a real apple. Like I have just bitten into an apple. It's beautiful. It also doesn't smell of green apple anymore. Now it seems to smell Red and the apple itself is surrounded by green herbs.(If that makes any sense)

When it dries it gets even better. It is still very much apple, but the "poison" comes out. I cannot put my finger on what I am smelling. Resin? maybe. Whatever it is, it is working. I adore this so much.

After about an hour I finally figured out what was making me feel so peaceful. This is exactly how my Mom smelled when I was younger. I'm not sure what products she used back then but she smelled exactly like this.

Of course my skin ate most of the scent after awhile. It did linger a bit and isn't completely gone.

I love this. Yes, I'm buying a full bottle.

I got two frimps of this in an order last month, and oh man, when I popped the caps off to smell everything this was the first scent I HAD to try. Sweet, juicy apple--to me it brings to mind a shiny red apple with bright white flesh--with just a hint of something more sinister beneath it. This scent is perfectly named, and perfectly executed in my humble opinion. On my skin it's consistently apple for the entire length of its duration, with just that murky bit of darkness beneath it. Love it!!

A perfect, lovely, gleaming red apple whose sweetness masks a swirl of narcotic opium, oleander, and hemlock.

Imp: Ooh, reminds me of a cider mill with lots of fresh apples. Quite lovely. Theres an undercurrent of tartness, like the tanginess of green apples.

Wet on skin: Very much like the imp, tart green apples

Dry on skin: After a time, the green apples turn to more of a sweet scent, less tart if you will. The notes then become more apple blossom, floral and incense.

I really liked this scent, but it faded away very quickly on my skin. I'd need to reapply within an hour. Other than the fact that my skin ate this scent, I would totally purchase a bottle.