Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sea air, driftwood, waterlogged kelp, and the memory of plundered spices sprayed over worn leathers, rough musk, and the salty wooden floorboards of the Revenge.

Fruity! All lime and aftershave-esque. Spicy, and a little bit of woodiness. Maybe some sea spray. Too masculine for me.

Calico Jack is certainly matching the description. However, It's also the scent that has established fully in me that I dislike "ozone" scents. I'm not sure, technically, what it is that makes this scent but I've ran across it a few times. Under the guise of something "Electric", "Metallic", "Ozone" and "Rain.". Now sea. It's a very perfumey/cologny scent that's light, and reminds me of sunday mornings with irons, hot showers, and moms old perfume.

It's not -bad- or unpleasant, but it's not something I enjoy. However, one of the first things I was told when I joined BPAL was to give everything a chance, you'll be surprised. So I wont give up on those notes entirely :D.

Calico Jack was fun, I just wish it smelled more authentic to me. I think my skin must amp this ozone note, and it drowns out everything else. I didn't really get sea-salt. I just sort of got ozone with a background of maybe a once was pirate. :/ how depressing. I also adore leather notes, and they tend to wear well and long on me, but in this case it was also overpowered. :P

Oh well. I'll keep searching for refreshing blends anyways :D

Salt air, wet wood planks and the spicy sweetness of rum. A bit of warmed citrus from fruits waiting to be loaded into the cargo hold. I'm looking around for a dashing privateer. I love this on Mr. Isis! The best of the BPAL pirate blends IMO.

Total man's cologne in a good way. I sniff the sea spray and woods, and when wet there's a huge blast of ozone. It sweetens as it dries and the rum comes into play. Manly, manly, MANLY! Mmmm.

Clearly an aquatic from first sniff of the imp. Given the ozone note, it must be the sea air. Fortunately, I like the ozone note.

Wet on the skin, it's still ozone, though not nearly as bright or clearly as it was from the imp. I get a little hint of salt in the ozone after a few minutes, but not on every sniff. I can't say that I'm getting kelp or wood or anything other than a lot of ozone and those whispers of saltiness though.

Even dry, it's pretty much a one note aquatic, which is fine as I don't object to the scent, but I've gotten used to some depth and this just doesn't have it for me. Sending this to the swap pile. Bon voyage.

Wet: watery/aftershave

Dry: Lots of what I might call watery/aquatic scents here. I don't sense the plundered spices. Not a bad scent, esp on a guy, but definitely not me.

Frimp. At first this instantly reminded me of some sort of typical, mainstream men's cologne (it actually smells like a specific guy I know), but it fairly quickly changes on my skin.

Calico Jack is strongly oceanic-- it's bathwater warm and brings to mind the translucent turquoise of equatorial saltwater. It's a little gritty and tangy. With a sort of vegetable coolness in the background. Maybe that plant note is the kelp, but I'm not sure what kelp smells like, and it strikes me as a little... melon-ish? The musk/wood notes that initially made this so drenched in masculinity are still there, though more faintly. I don't get much spice from this, at least not any spice I'm familiar with.

I'm surprised by how much I like this, though there's still a general impression of maleness about it that might keep me from wearing it too often. I like it, but can picture myself walking into a gathering and someone asking whether I've just used aftershave. lol.

In the imp: Sweet spice, woody aquatic. A lot more feminine than I thought it would be.

Wet: No leather, really. I'm glad. This is a masculine scent, but it's working on me. There's the spiciness, mellowed out by the salty sea. There's some wood, but it's fading.

Dry: Not much change from the imp. Spicy, woody, aquatic.

Overall: This wasn't even on my list of scents I wanted to try, but I'm glad I did. I'll try to make my boyfriend wear it (good luck with that!) but I can wear it as well. I think it's a pretty masculine scent. :P

In the vial: Expensive mens' cologne... okay. It's got spice. And is definitely an aquatic.

On the skin: Whoa, um, that's leather. Almost too much leather. Burns my nose a little. And there's the salt. Hrm, well, it's everything it's described to be, that's for sure. I would need a guy to slather this on to test this properly. Not bad, just not for me.

This is predominantly an aquatic scent with a saltyness. I get absolutely no leather from this at all...and a tiny bit of musk. It's got a colgne edge to it, which is making it more masculine.

I also don't get any kind of woodsy smell from this blend. It's much different than I had expected..

Overall not a standout scent but still pleasant.

This is a masculine scent on my skin. It's an aquatic blend with the smell of rotting wood and sea spray. I keep catching whiffs of cedar (at least it smells like cedar to my nose) which is ruining this blend for me. I think I'll pass on this scent.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)

In the bottle – Sea water

Wet on me – Soapy leather and salty water

Dry on me – Clean, salty leather

Overall – I need my leathers to have something else with them to make them really work on me

I would say that sea air, kelp, spices, and leather were more or less left out. There is a woodsy, musky scent, over a very clean soap-ish smell. It's a nice scent. It's, however, too... fresh and clean for me.

Not masculine at all for me. A bit disappointed that it doesn't bring up connotations of the sea, as I would love to have those memories in a scent.

Salty, airy notes with musk and wood underneath, this really is quite true to the description. Calico Jack is salty/aquatic but warm and woody at the same time which gives an interesting mix. Rather unisex but would work on any seafaring man and landrats alike :)

Faintly seaweedish and salty, almost like a salt lick. A wet mustiness that seems similar to Sturgeon Moon and a faint echo of Cthulhu. It's a light scent and it reminds me of summer daisies. This can never take the place of my beloved Cthulhu and therefore, as the imp will probably not get the love it deserves, it goes for the swap!

Overall, this is the smell of hayfever at the side of a marshy river. No open seas here... move along! 5/10. Nice, but nothing I don't already know.

Deliciously sexy. Spicy and rogue-ish, with a snap of salt air and a smooth smile of silken honey. Very masculine, and not me.

Trade bag, although this would be devastatingly alluring on the right man.

imp: irish spring. most aquatics smell that way in the imp to me.

wet: super bright, fresh aquatic. it's not soapy or cloying, very crisp and tangy.

dry: the bright, crisp tangy beauty of this quickly faded and has died back down to smelling like most aquatics do on my skin. like i just took a bath with some irish spring. alas.

Salty water and a hint of booze.

It's the smell I describe as "low tide" when my wetsuit has contaminated my car with an oceany, low tide smell.... except this has been passed through a filter and cleaned up to actually smell good.

Vial: "Jolly Roger" darkened by extra patchouli

On: That fresh "Jolly Roger" rum with a hint of patch and leather. Not shabby, but a bit too similar to the aforementioned for my taste right now.

Later: Still a slightly darker "Jolly Roger" two hours later. I might end up swapping this, since "Jolly Roger" and "Mary Read" are enough of that particular scent family to me.

Bottle Sniff Cologne not unlike CK One. I get something minty, salty and slightly woody. More masculine than androgynous.

Wet Salt & wood to high heaven with cologne backdrop. Now morphing into a lavender like scent without any sweetness of lavender.

Drydown Salty grey woods. It's ambergris without the ambergris if that makes sense. And I detect a slightly tea tree like overtone to the whole thing. Oh yeah, it's gone tea tree and eucalyptus on me. Highly reminiscent of many popular "bush" salves and balms, this one is far too much like the Australian bush for my liking. It just makes me think of bottle brushes, scrubby grevillea's and the occasional bit of mascerated wood on a rocky path. It may be exotic if you don't live in Australia.... :ack:

Straight-up aquatics in the imp, with seaweed, very cool and clean. On me, some of the scent's complexities start to come out...and it IS complex. I get hints of spice, and tobacco, leather, and salty wood. Not as much salt-sea-air-smell as I was hoping for, but a really interesting, unique combination that's very evocative of what it claims to be. An appropriate pirate scent. ^_^ It's a little bit androgynous, yeah, probably leaning more towards the masculine side...but I feel like, as a woman, I personally smell really good in masculine scents. It's like wearing a man's suit, but tailored to flatter a woman's body. So...this is a keeper.

This was a frimp: thank you to hamletskeeper!

In the bottle: Acquatic and rum and wood.

Wet: PINE PINE PINE. Wow. That's a lot of pine. I smell like I've bathed in Pine o'clean

After about 20 minutes: It settles down to salty coconut with an undertone of pine. Huh. I quite like it.

Housemate grabbed my wrist and dragged me round the house with her, smelling me occasionally. I'm happy she likes the scent, but I do kind of have things to do...

This scent has quite a lot of throw.

After an hour: Then the scent morphs: It's SWEET. I smell like musk sticks and coconut ice on a pine tray. It's odd and I don't think I like this stage

After two hours: I'm getting a tiny whiff of warm leather, which I like, and a lot more musk. Which I don't. May see if it turns out smelling the same on the housemate.

After three hours: Gone. Just a slight sweet musk smell left.

Imp: My immediate thought was "seashells!" I like this already. Very fresh and oceanic.

On: Sharp ozone. It's still reminding me of seashells and sand. It smells incredibly familiar. I think a family member had a candle like this when I was young.

Dry: Brings to mind photographs of bright blue skies, bright turquoise water, and white sand. It's very strong and very clean. I smell leather and something warm after a while.

I'll definitely wear this. Might even get a bottle.

Bottle: This just reminds me of aftershave. I can't pick out any notes right now, and it's pretty masculine

Wet: Aquatic leather

Dry: Salty, slightly smokey wood, leather. It lasted ages, and while it's not my normal kind of scent, aquatics love me.

I'm not sure I'd want a bottle as it's a little more masculine than I like to wear, but one to try on the other half definitely.