Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

Brown Jenkin

The yellowed country records containing her testimony and that of her accusers were so damnably suggestive of things beyond human experience - and the descriptions of the darting little furry object which served as her familiar were so painfully realistic despite their incredible details.

That object - no larger than a good-sized rat and quaintly called by the townspeople "Brown Jenkins" - seemed to have been the fruit of a remarkable case of sympathetic herd-delusion, for in 1692 no less than eleven persons had testified to glimpsing it. There were recent rumours, too, with a baffling and disconcerting amount of agreement. Witnesses said it had long hair and the shape of a rat, but that its sharp-toothed, bearded face was evilly human while its paws were like tiny human hands. It took messages betwixt old Keziah and the devil, and was nursed on the witch's blood, which it sucked like a vampire. Its voice was a kind of loathsome titter, and it could speak all languages. Of all the bizarre monstrosities in Gilman's dreams, nothing filled him with greater panic and nausea than this blasphemous and diminutive hybrid, whose image flitted across his vision in a form a thousandfold more hateful than anything his waking mind had deduced from the ancient records and the modern whispers.

A small, furry, sharp-toothed scent that will nuzzle you curiously in the black hours before dawn: dusty white sandalwood and orris root, dry coconut husk, creeping musk, and the residue of ceremonial incense.

Sweet incense. The coconut doesn't overwhelm as it's wont to do with my skin chemistry. A rather straightfoward scent with the coconut melding with the resins' sweetness.

The orris and sandalwood are definately there but seem to be more of the structure that keeps this from collapsing inward from the heavier notes.

GREAT sillage.

Reminds me a wee bit of Midnight Mass combined with All Souls. Edited by Shollin

Oh, I like this a lot. I was reminded of Miskatonic University, for some strange reason, only without the coffee, if that makes any sense at all, which it probably doesn't. The same sense of soft, thoughtful, enveloping warmth, but without the foodiness. The coconut adds a bit of subtle sweetness, but nothing like Eden or Obalata, yummy as they are -- this isn't a moist chewy coconut. This is indeed a dry coconut, lying just beneath the gentle sandalwood and musk. I could definitely get a sense of this blend being "furry" -- or maybe just fuzzy. :P It's comforting.

Once upon a time I knew the world's worst Brown-Noser whose surname happened to be Jenkins - so this perfume's name has extremely unfortunate connotations to me.

That said, even I would be inclined to kiss someone's ass if said ass were slathered in Brown Jenkins.

So I'll just think of this one as Leeroy Jenkins - a scent that makes you smell so good that people will chase after you toward a bunch of hungry dragons just to get a whiff.

(A new GC fave for me)

Brown Jenkins - When I sniff this in the vial, my first reaction is, "This is the coconut scent I've been waiting for all my life!" Then, when I apply it, the coconut disappears, and it's all heavy incense and woods on me, and I'm really disappointed. As it dries down, however, the dry, woody notes recede significantly, and the incense (which is the same incense used in All Souls) comes to the forefront, and then... oh yes... then, the coconut bursts forth and joins the incense to make The World's Most Gorgeous Coconut Blend Ever. It's all incense and rough coconut and not a typical feminine coconut scent -- it's definitely more masculine or gender-neutral. The blend reminds me a lot of All Souls, so if you tried that last Halloween and wish you'd gotten a bottle, this would be an excellent substitute. This scent throws really far and a little goes a very long way. The scent lasts and last and lasts. I love it.

This is lovely! I really can't smell much of anything in the vial at all, just like a vague cologne smell. I'm glad I didn't set it aside.

On me, I smell the coconut, but not too strongly, and oh theres the woodsy/incensy that I love. The combo is fab on me. I get whiffs of both of them, its as if the creaminess of the coconut were keeping the incense at bay.

This one is hubby approved too :P

Must get a bottle!

Brown Jenkins is a gorgeous sandalwood/incense scent. It reminds me a bit of Chintamani-Dhupa's smoky-sweet softness but it's more like Velvet's sandalwood note minus the cocoa. It's like a vanilla Velvet. I don't get coconut but I do get the dry sweet woodiness and yummy musk. Very very pretty for sounding like a masculine scent.

in the bottle, coconut meat, i can almost taste it. and a background of musk.

wet: still and insence blend. mostly coconut, and some incesne swirling around there.

this dries in to a soft coconut, sandalwood, this is a jammie scent, soft, comforting. flannel pj's. LOVE IT!

Oooo, I like this one. Dry and incensey, with a hint of coconut. I really like that white sandalwood and the cocounut husk. It's light and sweet, dry and hazy. Quite nice!

If you like the scent of coconut but you usually find it too strong in perfume oils, try this one. It's light and incredibly gorgeous in this.

When I first tested Brown Jenkins it seemed a bit strong on coconut for me (I don't like to smell like coconut) but on second wear, it's much more resiny.

(Why don't I like to smell like coconut? Imagine: driving back from the shore in an un-air-conditioned station wagon as a child, greasy sunblock drying on your skin and sand stuck to your rear end, feeling nauseous from too much salt water and sunlight and there's just nothing but the overpowering scent of coconut-scented sunblock wafting from the front seat.

That's why I don't like to smell like coconut.)

However, it is keeping its distance in this blend. It might be because I just baked a coconut cake that I'm not noticing it as much in the perfume, but it strikes me as very resiny. Kind of like Midnight Mass, but a bit lighter and dryer, and with that sweetness in it.

It's a bit of a cousin to Al Azif as well. I don't see myself getting a bottle since most of my collection is a dragon's hoard of resins and woods, and this is very similar to those but with that slight whiff of coconut, that I can live without...

Though I still like it very much! I might want to just get all the Arkham scents in bottles some day to paw over while I read my HPL again and again...

Wet this smells like some sort of ointment. In an attempt to keep from biasing myself about the scent, I keep my nose away from my wrist for a while. After about a half hour I take a sniff and I get coconut and a much fainter dose of the ointment. About two hours after application the scent is a weird hodgepodge of coconut, ointment, and something else odd. Around hour three the scent turns into an incense that doesn't work on me. Incense is hit-or-miss on me (sometimes gorgeous, sometimes awful), and in this case it doesn't work on me and is the source of that strange ointment smell. I've been wearing the ointment incense smell for about five hours now, and it doesn't seem like it's going to do anything else, so I don't think it would be terribly unfair of me to go wash it off.

I slathered this on expecting not to like it... I am pleasantly surprised though. This smells a lot like Midnight Mass at first (one of my favorite BPALs), with a bit of the thick sweetness similar to blends like Haloa, Lycaon, and All Souls.

This has Midnight Mass's golden, slightly powdery softness in the wet stage. It doesn't smell like baby powder, but it has a fine softness like incense ground into soft dust. What differentiates this from Midnight Mass is the slightly soured sweetness and sharp floral that creeps in. Almost perfumey-sour, like a perfumey floral mixed with cheesecake.

Brown Jenkins is more perfumey florals, sour cake, and dry woods over a couple hours of wear, and I don't like it so much. It falls into a familiar spot with the foodie-resins that have come out lately.

I like the opening stage of this, but mostly because it reminds me so strongly of Midnight Mass. After an hour+ it's very floral and perfumey on my skin. I probably won't keep my imp.

This is incredibly beautiful. There is something here that reminds me of Midnight Mass, my absolute favorite blend, but this is brighter and not quite so somber. This is like midnight mass in the Philippines with the smell of coconut giving it a little exotic lift. There is a sort of dry powdery note from the orris and probably from the coconut husk. I normally wear dark resin/wood/incense scents so this will be perfect to wear in the warmer months when I want something a bit more lighthearted. I'll need to get another bottle of this to tuck away because I'm sure that it will age beautifully. After all, you don't think that I'm going to stash the one bottle that I have, do you :P

This was a little dusty in the imp, and on my skin it bloomed into strong, sweet incense. Very, very strong - a little overpowering, in fact. Hours later, it's still over-sweet. Not unpleasant at all, but very much not for me.

coconut and incense! i think i’m in love!

the incense is very similar to that of Midnight Mass and All Souls – sweet and with a slight “banana” note that no one else has mentioned, so maybe it’s just my weird chemistry.

the coconut here reminds me of Black Pearl or Blood Pearl. i’d say it’s kind of dry, compared to the “fresh coconut” note in, say, Obatala. the sandalwood and orris add more dryness.

stays strong for hours. i’m glad this is GC because i see a bottle in my future.

On me, this scent is SANDALWOODSANDALWOODSANDALWOODSANDALWOOD(coconut). :P Seriously, I'm afraid I work the sandalwood just too hard to get much of anything else. Generally I love the sandalwood (Eshe, Khajuraho, Khajuraho, Dragon's Bone . . .) but here it's the only note that really comes out to play.

This is just me, however. On a friend this turned into a lovely blend. For her the primary note was coconut, but this was NOT the smell of a pasty suntan lotion. Instead it was a warm and fuzzy blend, not "foody" but good enough to eat (if that makes any sense). Out of all the new releases in the last batch, this one proved to be the surprise hit with her. Brown Jenkins will work for either men or women, too; I suspect this one will gain a lot of fans.

Brown Jenkin is so good. I love coconut, and it's just perfect here, dry and warm and slightly tropical. I even like the orris in this blend, and orris is normally a no-no note on my skin. And the musk and the incense...so gorgeous. Definitely going on my bottle list for the future. It's like wrapping myself up in a warm cream-colored fisherman's sweater that recently been worn by a good-smelling man.

Mmm. Warm, buttery incensy coconut. And that is just about enough delightfully said, quite frankly. :P

I haven’t picked out anything that smells like coconut in the few times that I’ve tested this. I get dry, musky florals and some sour, sharp resins.

This is a coconut lover's dream! It definitely smells like the entirety of a coconut- brown husks and creamy insides. Never at any stage do i get that 'suntan lotion' coconut smell. After a while on my skin it turns ever more creamy and the sandalwood begins to creep in. This is when I see the comparison to a more incense heavy blend, but on my skin it really retains the coconut first and foremost. Although it does not have a lot of throw (on me), it lasts a very long time and seems to just get better as the time passes. I am definitely getting a bottle of this in my next order, no question!!

:P

I almost like Brown Jenkins....somehow it's just not working for me, ultimately. Something about it is too sweet, and almost plastic-y, which is something I've had with coconut before (the plastic-y). I like sandalwood and it almost saves this blend. But the incense note is too sweet or something, and it reminds me of Al Azif, which I couldn't wear (which itself is strange, because I like incense blends, especially Midnight Mass, Pit and the Pendulum....but not Al Azif *shudder* or apparently Brown Jenkins either). I think I'll pass this along to someone who likes it more!

straight sniff from bottle is very incensey...lots of cedar...

once applied this reminds me of obatala...the coconut aspect of obatala anyway...

a touch of sandalwood combined with the cedar and coconut makes this positively gorgeous

and one of the best GCs to date...adore it!! :P

I can't wear sandalwood so I put this in my scent diffuser and oooooooohhh it smells so nice! I was instantly cheered and warmed. Sweet is exactly how I'd describe it. Not too incensey, more sweet amber really.

This is a suprise! I'd avoided ordering Brown Jenkins because of the coconut. It usually just ends up smelling oily on me, somehow. But the labbies frimped me with it so here goes!

Brown Jenkins is very nice. I can smell some coconut but it isn't oily. The other notes blend nicely with it and though I also don't usually like sandalwood it's okay in this. The drydown is sort of like coconut/sandal wood incense. I get no sharp fangs at all :P

This smells exactly the way I thought it would and I love it.

A bit toothy and nuzzley definitely. Also dry, but warm and kind of...dusty? In a good way. The coconut was stronger earlier, but now I'm getting more of the other notes and either way, I liked the coconut too. :P

This one's definitely a keeper.

In the imp: Soft coconut with sandalwood's dry dust.

Wet on skin: Musk, with something perfumey under it. I really this develops well, because right now it smells like odd men's cologne...

Early dry down: When I sniff my wrists I'm getting something floral and musky, but when I leave them alone I keep smelling whiffs of coconut suntan lotion. I'm disappointed in this one so far. :P

Late dry down: Unfortunately, this one just doesn't work on me. My right wrist has developed a sharp, musty odor and the left is all musk all the time.

Rats.