Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

Brown Jenkin

A small, furry, sharp-toothed scent that will nuzzle you curiously in the black hours before dawn: dusty white sandalwood and orris root, dry coconut husk, creeping musk, and the residue of ceremonial incense.

To my delight, I can't detect the coconut. This is indeed a warm fuzzy brown scent - it's masculine, muskily sweet and sandalwoody. I don't need more than the imp, but the smell is delicious.

EDITED TO ADD: Hmm, it started to get a smidge armpitty, but I was able to ignore it.

Until my boss walked into the office and said "What smells like a pool hall... or a gym?" When I offered that perhaps it was my perfume, he said "Your perfume smells like gym socks?"

I guess this goes in to the Trade Bag... Edited by Shollin

In the imp: Coconut plus some mysterious sharp floral. hmmm.

Wet on skin: Coconut-scented nail polish remover. Man, there is clearly a note that turns to nail polish remover on me in a lot of different scents, and I really need to figure out which it is so I can avoid it.

Dry: Faintest whisper of coconut and something soft, almost shea-buttery. Very lovely, but I think I'd have to pour the entire thing on my arm to be able to detect it. Not sure if I will hang on to this one.

I just....don't even know where to begin with this one.

First off, I'm kicking myself for being into BPAL for more than a year and just now getting around to trying Brown Jenkins. I wish this one would have been in my first imp pack.

I adore a good sandalwood...and this one has to be the best I've ever had the pleasure to smell. It's just...perfect. I love sweet smells especially, and this one is :D

Sweet, sandalwoody, just a little coconutty. I love this...it seriously just shot to...dare I say...my #1 BPAL spot? I rec'd my bottle (unsniffed) of this on Friday (4 days ago) and I have worn nothing but Brown Jenkins since it arrived. Seriously...that has never happened to me before. And what's funny is that yesterday I got a bit more incense than I did on Sat. and Sun. I can't wait to see how this ages....and I think I need many, many more bottles of this.

Seriously, just... :P

Yay frimpage!

This is exactly what you get when you cross a coconut with some manner of burrowing rodent. It's an earthy, musky coconut fragrance, but it's not nearly as grotesque as it's namesake - much more cuddly than menacing. It's a nice scent to wear to bed.

I just....don't even know where to begin with this one.

First off, I'm kicking myself for being into BPAL for more than a year and just now getting around to trying Brown Jenkins. I wish this one would have been in my first imp pack.

I adore a good sandalwood...and this one has to be the best I've ever had the pleasure to smell. It's just...perfect. I love sweet smells especially, and this one is :D

Sweet, sandalwoody, just a little coconutty. I love this...it seriously just shot to...dare I say...my #1 BPAL spot? I rec'd my bottle (unsniffed) of this on Friday (4 days ago) and I have worn nothing but Brown Jenkins since it arrived. Seriously...that has never happened to me before. And what's funny is that yesterday I got a bit more incense than I did on Sat. and Sun. I can't wait to see how this ages....and I think I need many, many more bottles of this.

Seriously, just... :P

Thanks to ladyjc for pimpin' out some of her Brown Jenkins to me!! :D

I am almost positive that there is jasmine in this scent. If there's not, then whatever I'm wrong, but I am almost certain there's a touch of jasmine.

I expected more coconut, and I'm pleasantly surprised that it's just a touch - the note is finely balanced in Beth's signature harmonious style.

The sandalwood is so.... 'white,' I don't know how else to describe it. (Not exactly an expert here, lol)

I expected a darker scent. Brown Jenkins is incensey and sandalwoody, but it maintains a lightness of being somehow - probably from the lack of vanilla tones. It's a warm, but not explosive, sandalwood blend.

The scent steadily improves during the drydown, and all I can say is "Buttah." It's simple, yet strangely addictive....

4.6 out of 5

This is a cornucopia of coconut. Yes, there is a faint tinge of jasmine floral and a sandalwood base, but really this has got to be the most coconut of BPAL scents. And this isn't like your watery coconut from suntan lotions. No sirree.

This is the coconut of coconut milk. This is the aroma of splitting a fresh coconut. This is coconut in your face rubbing its coconut goodness all over you.

But then again, I tend to amp coconut like no one's business.

Imp: Dusy, sweet, incense and musky. There is a hint of something almost citrus-like.

Wet: A deep dusky coconut. There seems to be a common note between this and Antonino, and I'm guessing its the coconut, but it also has that slightly citrusy overtone. I can wear this, but think it would smell great on a man too.

Dry: This scent has great throw and is a dark, musky, slightly woodsy, incense-laden coconut. I'm loving it. Its warm and nuzzle-y, just as promised.

Overall: There is a coconut incense that I used to buy from a local shop. It was a wonderful quality incense and unlike anything I'd ever found. Sadly, the shop went out of business, and I've never found anything to approximate that smell since. Until now. This is BEAUTIFUL.

This immediately shot into my top 20 (if not my top 10) the minute I put it on my skin. This is a sweet musky scent. Wet, I get sandalwood and coconut. As it dries, the musk and incense come out. It's a dry but sweet scent, very warm and earthy. Coconut always gives me a little pause because I strongly associate it with sunscreen, but I didn't get that vibe here at all.

Thanks to septima_pica for the frimp! I have to admit that I know next to nothing about Lovecraft's work, and nothing at all about the story that Brown Jenkins comes from. I'm afraid I'm no good for evaluating how true to the concept of a small freaky rat-thing with flowery wordy sentences this scent may or may not be. I can be more generally descriptive, though, even if Lovecraft would not approve!

In the imp: Coconutty cologne.

Wet on skin: More coconutty, less cologney. It definitely does register as "brown" to me.

Freshly dry: Freshly dry, it's a sort of dusty, fuzzy, musky, coconut. I can't really differentiate the other stuff yet. One hour later, the coconut is still in charge, with a musky backdrop and some slightly spicy dust.

Five hours later: Very faint dusty coconut.

End of the day: Maybe the slightest whiff of musk.

Overall: Brown Jenkins is an odd scent, and I think it does capture "brown and fuzzy" accurately. There's enough other stuff in there to keep the coconut from going all creamy white, even though the coconut is the most prominent note in this for me. It also fits with "small," in that it's never a very strong smell, and doesn't last particularly long. It's not creepy in the least, though; as others have said, it's warm, rather comforting, and nice.

hehehehe :lol: stop nuzzling me! This is very fuzzy and odd. Dry, with the coconut husk or black coconut I got from Elegba mixed with an herby creaminess of some kind of plant like Strangler Fig. Interesting, good throw, and long lasting.

I don't know why it's taken me until now to try this one! Got this frimped to me in a swap ^_^

Out of the imp: Cocnut and incense, very reminiscent of Goblin out of the imp.

On skin: Ok...now on my skin this has shapeshifted into All Souls. :lol: Hopefully it stays this way, if I could have a GC blend similar to my beloved All Souls, that would be fantastic!

Dry: Yep, this VERY similar to All Souls on me...a nice church incense mixed with sweet, delicious things. I'd say this is a bit more "dusty" smelling than All Souls but incredibly similar! I'm going to have to do a side-by-side comparison later on.

A winner for me! :joy:

I am so thrilled I finally got to try this. I am a big coconut fan in all its forms. :)

This is such an incredible blend. I catch a hint of something almost jasmine like, but without being cloying or headache inducing. The incense is there, but sweeter and the coconut it definitely not the suntan lotion coconut, nor a very foody coconut, yet not sharp. It is a coconut that even most coconut haters could love.

It's earthy, but not dirty. Fresh, but not altogether clean. It's a very difficult sent to describe, but easy to love. :wub2: I am definitely getting a bottle with my next order since I have a feeling my imp won't last long.

And if you tried Goblin, but found that it turned plastic-y or the patchouli was too much, try this.

Edited by Femme_Fatale

I bought a bottle of this on impulse... Destiny? Because I do not consider myself the sandalwood type (I avoid any scent that has "head shop" or "hippy" in descriptions as it's usually migraine territory for me). And coconut usually is slightly too sweet for me, in many cases reminding me of suntan oil from the 80's...

And yet, I love this so much. Neither incense, nor coconut dominates... The whole combination settles on the skin and turns into what I can only call warm intoxication... This is a furry friend, one that pulls me in. I feel I fall into its spell. I want to nuzzle with it. Forever and ever...

My husband cannot stop sniffing me when I wear this.

Brown Jenkins, I adore you...

In the Imp; Mostly sandalwood, very dry sandalwood. And I get the coconut husk and musk as well. I think the orris root is very very subtle. The incense isnt really coming across as a distinct note.

Wet: I think this is the same musk that's in Ivanushka :wub: It actually smells quite a bit like Ivanushka, but with a very dry sandalwood (almost cedary) note.

Drying Down: I really dont read coconut from this.. I get the dry, dirty husk, but no meat. This is mostly sandalwood and musk with some of the incense I smell in Midnight Mass. It's really lovely-- warm and dry. Like I said before, it smells similar to Ivanushka to me-- but I do like that one better, and it probably fills my "fuzzy animal" blend spot.. I'll probably put Brown Jenkins on my "maybe bottle" list-- for when I'm rich :lol:

This is really nice when it's wet: clean bright coconut, reined in by some musk and light incense. As it dries down the incense peeks out, and the overall effect is nice and furry. But in less than an hour, I was left with nothing but a powdery coconutty musk... not the best musk, either. It smells awfully similar to a note I got in Devil's Night that went strangely foody and almost rancid on me. I'll stick with Goblin for my coconut fix.

Mmmmm- love this one! It does not morph on the dry down and I don't get incense from this at all. I get pure smoky coconut. It brings to mind the first time I got to eat fresh coconut after drinking the milk- a dry coconut. The smoke adds the feeling of a summertime picnic with a bonfire. This scent makes me ready for winter to end!

I wasn't sure if I liked this at first..but then I keep going back for another sniff...and I adore it :)

Sandalwood earthy coconut ...It smells like coconut hippie. :D

I get whiffs here and there of something a bit medicinal..it's prob just the sandalwood, but smells to me like myrrh or pine perhaps. I don't really like that smell, but it works in this. So comfy. mm

Also, it seems like most the scents I've tried lately don't last on my skin at all...

but I just woke from a nap and can still smell a little coconut goodness. yay.

Yum, a foody incense blend, I love it!! At first, this is vetiver/foody and not very pleasant at all, though I'm not sure if vetiver was a listed note, maybe it's the husk? Kind of woody. This quickly fades, and a beautiful, coconutty incense develops. This positively glows on me, and am very glad to add another incense love to my list!

This smells exactly like coconut incense. I love it, though it's not what I expected at all! Oddly enough, though I didn't consciously realize that there existed a gap in my life that needed to be filled with coconut incense BPAL, when I smelled this I felt as though I had finally found a BPAL that fit a category of scent that I had been searching for. Perhaps a holy grail coconut blend that's not too overtly tropical, flowery, or fruity. I definitely need more of this!

Imp: Faint sandalwood

Wet: Very light scent. Sandalwood and sweet dry coconut

Drydown: This stays the same throughout, doesn't morph much. This is sweet and woody. :yum:

Overall: I like this alot. I just wish that it had more throw. Must slather. :lol:

This one disappointed me greatly. I put it on and all I got was Coconut Vanilla Heaven, and I was so extraordinarily excited. And then within five minutes all of the woods and incense came out and overpowered the coconut and vanilla goodness. So now I smell like a mix between Dee and Cathedral and both smell better on their own than mixed. Boo.

In the imp: Light, woody, cologne. It's a pleasant smell, slightly foody.

Wet: Wood. Dry, sweet wood. Nothing really special.

Dry: Light wood and coconut. Very light. It's a scent I shoudn't like, but I like. Strange. I think it's the coconut. I could almost eat this. Edible wood? :blush:

Overall: A bit too masculine for me. But, that said, I don't think I'll een give it to my boyfriend to try. As nice as this is, there are other scents I prefer on him. This I might swap.

In bottle/imp: Very dry sandalwood and coconut with crisp white musk.

Immediately on skin: As soon as I sniff this, the sandalwood almost attacks my nose. It’s very dry. Then it smooths into some warm coconut and crisp musk. The coconut smells a little plastic though.

After a little while: This doesn’t change much, though it does get a little sweeter. The sandalwood is what I smell the most, dry and powdery, and then the coconut behind it. This smells warm, but not really creamy as there’s an overlying freshness to the scent which might be the orris or maybe white musk.

Overall Impressions: This is a wonderful concept, and smells just as I’d think from the description. It’s powdery, warm, and nuzzly with a very distinct feel to it. I like it, but it’s not a “me” scent, unfortunately.