Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

Brown Jenkin

A small, furry, sharp-toothed scent that will nuzzle you curiously in the black hours before dawn: dusty white sandalwood and orris root, dry coconut husk, creeping musk, and the residue of ceremonial incense.

In the imp, this smells sweet and musky.

When it hits my skin, it suddenly smells like I opened a bottle of spiced rum! Weird! But good...and it dies down a bit into a musky, sweet softness. The coconut never really asserts itself any more than just lending sweetness to the overall experience.

It fades a bit faster than I'd like, so next time I shall slather it on and keep it in the purse to reapply. It's a very warm, comforting scent, and it was a good choice for the dreary day we're having here.

Brown Jenkins

A spicy-sweet scent. I had originally thought there was vanilla in this one until I looked it up. Nope. Coconut masquerading as vanilla. If there was a bit more incense or musk, I might be able to find this one wearable.:P

Imp: Strong men's cologne. Sort of Old Spice-y.

Wet: Molasses in an oak barrel. Skin = weird.

Dry: Dark incense with a touch of coconut sweetness. If I didn't know it was coconut I wouldn't identify it as such. Sandalwood and orris add a floral/dry dustiness.

Throw: Pretty good. Up close it's more complex, but there is a definite incense aura about me.

Overall: Nice. If I was more of a Lovecraft fan this would be a big bottle, but I'm not, already own too many incense blends, and can't justify it to myself. I'll be happy to use my imp, though.

this reminded me of almonds, but then it morphed and it was sandalwood and coconut and something powdery. after it was on for a few hours the scent started to fade and by the end of the work day, it wasn't even there. i was quite sure what to expect, so brown jenkins didn't really impress me.

For some reason this scent name makes me think of that old Steely Dan song "Deacon Blues".

Soft sandalwood and an understated cologne. And an undercurrent of coconut...very subtle, but rich and just sweet enough to be a mellow, fireside-type of blend. Very nice.

Brown Jenkins knocked me off of my feet in surprise. It was one of those that sounded nice enough and I knew I'd buy a sample of it in time, but it also wasn't on my "must get now" list. I should have gotten it immediately because I love blends with musk and/or incense.

This is the most amazing mix of soft, gentle sandalwood and coconut. The coconut is not foody or strong, but instead has a sort of warmth that sinks into the woods and the incense resins. The musk is sort of soft and furry without being feral and it really perfects and finishes this blend.

Gender neutral and freaking amazing!

Sniffed in the imp: Sweet coconut, deep musk, and sandalwood, with fainter orris and incense underneath. Surprisingly light and playful.

I've had this imp of Brown Jenkins for approximately one year. When I first tried it, it was "like" - a nice light coconutty blend, but I thought it lacked a little depth and warmth and I sort of ignored it for a long while.

Well one year later, this blend has aged into a sultry, smooth coconut / incense / sandalwood harmony! I've worn nothing but Brown Jenkins fro the past week and wish I had more tucked away.

This, on me, is brown sugar coconut (even though sugar isn't in the notes) - delicious!

Next order will include a bottle to tuck away for future use - definitely!

:P

The first thing I smell is incense and sandalwood. Dry and slightly sweet. It reminds me of the incense in Midnight Mass - it has that same sweetness.

The coconut is not really apparent, nor is the orris, but there’s something else besides all the incense that is very subtle. I’m convinced this must be the coconut and orris. There’s a slight powder there that I think must be the orris, and the coconut combines beautifully with the incense.

The coconut gets stronger on me as it dries and wears, and it’s a very different note than how coconut is typically portrayed in BB products. At this point it’s about equal with the incense and seems quite strong. If this were slathered, watch out!

It’s almost like a vanilla note now – it has that same sort of richness and body. After some time, it is quite sweet and has an almost alcoholic bite in addition to the richness and body of the vanilla-like scent. The incense is buried, as is the sandalwood. This is no longer a dry scent. That alcoholic vanilla-like note (maybe it’s a benzoin?) is the strongest thing now, overtaking everything else. Maybe the musk turned sweet on me, combined with a particularly sweet resin? I really can’t say but this is so unexpected. It’s close to how Marshmallow Poof was on my skin.

I like it, but this is just so strange. Looking over the reviews it looks like I’m the only to have this reaction. Very, very strange. I’m going to have to retest this and see if the same thing happens. :P

This really does feel furry and sharp-toothed. There's a smoothness to it that's creamy and buttery, yet there's a sharpness that's spicy. It's slightly masculine and very yummy. I'm going to have to keep this to revisit this because I don't usually wear this kind of scent, but I'm thinking of getting a bottle. It has a strange sort of allure to it.

In the bottle – Dusty coconuts

Wet on me – I don’t really know, something sharp and clean

Dry on me – Sweet vanillary coconut with a warm layer of musk

Overall – Another example of a frimp working better on me than the blends I choose myself

This smells a bit like All Souls '07 to me. I've only been able to try it on the sleeve of my jumper so far though, 'cause I've no more room on my skin!

Frimpage testing. :D

:P

This one smells so good but it smells *exactly* like two different scents combined on me. Death Cap's earthy vanilla + Black Pearl's iris and coconut. It works out beautifully together, and this is a definite MUST HAVE BOTTLE OF. Loooooove.

This was a generous frimp from the lab. Thank you!

In the vial: Sharp-toothed and furry, indeed. It's really hard to define the scent of this, but it is sharp, has an undercurrent of wood, but also of something animalistic.

On me: Hm, peppery, with a sidenote of patchouli and something nutty in the background.

Sadly, it also has something that reminds me a bit of BO to it... maybe the orris? So far, me and orris haven't gotten along too well...

The BO seems to fade a bit as time progresses, but it lasts a bit too long for my comfort. Maybe I'll let it age for a while and see how it fares then.

Initial thoughts: WHOOO LOVECRAFT-ahem, yes, I do do that every time. I was really keen on this one from the get-go, but now that I've tried a few more things I'm slightly worried that the musk and sandalwood may make it unpleasant for me. Which is a shame, because I was looking for a good dry coconut.

In the imp: Rich, fleshy coconut and a wiff of incense... like the Elder Gods did a really interesting brand of suntan lotion.

On the wrist, wet: There's something sharp and dry which I think is the sandalwood and something... maybe the musk, maybe the orris root, and the incense which is vaguely reminiscent of Al-Azif, but much dryer and less potent. The coconut is not nearly so pronounced on my skin. So far, interesting but a tad odd.

Twenty minutes later: Yes, this is definately Al-Azif suntan lotion. Normally coconut is quite nice on me, but the incense and the musk are doing funky things. Alas, it doesn't love me.

Verdict: Swap

Tl;Dr: The funky incense from Al-Azif toned down by musk and coconut.

In The Bottle

Coconut, a touch of incense and what smells like wine to me

On Application

All incense and sandalwood

Dry Down

The coconut and musk emerge about 5 minutes into the drydown to sweeten this up. Ths is quite dry. This reallly changes each time I sniff - I get something different each time - but the overall effect is great. Like!

Rating (0-5)

On me, Brown Jenkins seems to be the coconut husk, musk, and incense. I like this a lot more than I thought I would. If scents had colors, this would be orange-brown. Definitely a keeper.

In the imp I get a nice incense scent and something else, dry. Possibly the coconut husk?

Wet on the skin: I get the same smell: light incense with dry husk.

Drydown: I get Brown Crayola Crayon. :P The only way I can make the comparison is because I have crayons for the kids I work with and that's exactly which crayon is smells like-the brown one. :D

Off to the swaps for this one.

Wet, it starts off all sandalwood.

Dry, it's more resiny than I expected. I can also smell all of the notes listed, if I am getting to recognise Orris. I like this one.

weird, something in here reminds me of buck moon/ivanushka (which remind me of each other). i think it's the musk? and i smell the coconut and the sandalwood is hinted at in the background. this scent is very warm and and dusty. the incense is very strange. this is a really interesting scent-so difficult to describe but it is an incensey buck moon on me, with a less outdoorsy quality.

Sandalwood and incense intrigue me with the one, the story won me over! Sniffing the bottle I can smell a clean sharp smell, the sandalwood I think, that's about all I can smell.

When on the sandalwood is still dominant but I can now almost smell the coconut. A bit of the incense is trying to creep through.

Once dry I can smell the coconut when my wrist is by my side. The sandalwood is not so pronounced, and the sharpness is barely there anymore. it smells warm, but aside from the coconut, there isn't much throw. I won't buy a big bottle, but I think I'll keep the imp.

Oh, this is *delicious*. Dry, coconutty musk. It's a bit sweet and faintly incense-y, and very sexy. This is the closest thing to Tiki King in the GC that I've smelled. It's got fantastic throw, too--I've got 5 or 6 scents on at the moment and this is the one I keep getting whiffs of! A winner.

This is ok when first on - pleasant, perhaps a little aggressive. But when it's dry, it's OMG love. It's not too complex, but not one dimensional; it's a soft, warm, slightly spicy, comforting scent not dominated by any one note. The sandalwood and musk are the foundations, with the coconut (which I picked out by myself, a pleasing sign my nose is improving) and incense rounding it out and making it more interesting. I don't pick up on the orris root, but I'm not that familiar with it. I'll see how much I reach for my imp, but I'm seriously considering a bottle. :P

Throw is medium strong when wet, soft to medium when dry. Wear length is good.

Coconut blends don't always work on me as well as I would like, but this one is lovely. It's a very smooth, creamy, cuddly scent. It's a soft scent, but doesn't fade too quickly. So glad I got this frimp. I'm always happy when a Lovecraft scent works on me. :P

My first thought was "Brown Jenkins or Brown Sugar"?

But now the coconut is coming out a little more.

As long as it doesn't turn too incense-y, I will keep it.