Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
grrrlennyl

Squirting Cucumber

Yikes! A spurt of wet, grassy greenness.

In the bottle: CUCUMBERWHEEEEEE!!!!!!!! Very very green and juicy.

Wet: Cucumber, salty and sweet at the same time, with a slightly waxy floral note that I believe to be lily of the valley (or another type of lily)

Drydown: Yes, cucumber and lily of the valley. It's a soft, refreshing, cool scent that stays stable for a long while.

Overall: A very lovely scent, that would be absolutely *brilliant* for showering. I love cucumber and the floral that's with it, and this will be a slather-blend for summer. Spot on!

Edited by Shollin

Squirting Cucumber

In the imp: smells just like a cold, wet slice of freshly cut cucumber, with a hint of grassy greenery!

Wet on skin: smells just like I'm making salad, like lettuces and cucumbers.

Dry on skin: cucumber salad served out in the garden! This smells very accurately like a cucumber should, not one of those fake cucumber scents, it smells fresh and moist and green and cool, I smell the skin of the cucumber as well. There are hints of grass and other green notes, and it does remind me of salad greens as well. It smells like a salad at a picnic, sitting outside on a lawn, fresh green vegetables-cucumber and greens and lettuce.

After a while: the cucumber doesn't lose it's cool but it doesn't smell as wet as before. Now it smells a bit creamier, but also a little chalky or waxy, like white petals and wet plaster. It's not a bad scent though-now it reminds me more of the scent of those cucumber moisturisers, like cucumber and greenery over a base reminiscent of moisturising cream, with a hint of chalk and waxy white flowers.

Verdict: at first this was the truest cucumber scent ever. It was pure single note cucumber. Right down to the skin, the greenish scent of cutting a cucumber for a salad, maybe with hints of greens and lettuce, but mainly cucumber. Wet, cool, fresh and juicy, green and mouth-watering, this smells just like eating salad on the lawn on a summer's day. A salad without dressing, thankfully (though I am tempted to layer this with a lemony-herbal scent to simulate non-vinegary dressing). I like this stage but it becomes a more 'cucumber lotion' scent as it dries, reminding me less of fresh cucumbers and more of those moisturisers with cucumber fragrances, right down to the odd waxy-chalky scent I get with those lotions-it could be a floral note. It's still pretty and fresh but not as wet, and a little more perfumey at this point. I do like the fresh stage better, but I think I prefer cucumber as a component in a complex scent and not an almost single note (this is pretty much Cucumber SN on me) as it smells a little too much like salad/yoghurt-less raita dip to me. However I think it will make a lovely scent to layer with or add to lotion bases for summer, as it smells so cool and watery and perfect for hot weather, and I love the way cucumber smells wet without smelling 'aquatic'.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? it's remarkably true for a cucumber scent, but I prefer cuke as a scent component in more complex blends. This will make a lovely scent for an after-sun lotion...it'll be perfect as an addition to aloe vera gel.

If you like this, try: Blue Moon, Black Moon, Nuclear Winter, Tulzscha

This is somehow like concentrated cucumber - like if you cut open a cucumber, and magnified the fresh scent of the insides and juice and skin a hundred times.

I keep telling myself that the concept of smelling like a giant cucumber is silly, but this scent makes me so ridiculously happy everytime I get a waft of it from my shirt or my wrists that I just run around the house grinning like an idiot.

It's so summery, it makes me want to run through the sprinklers in my bare feet on the lawn, and jump into piles of leaves, and ride my bike around the neighborhood, and get into mud fights. And I'm 24.

Also, my favorite aunt, who was very fashionable, funny, sweet and social used to use a cucumber soap and so this scent reminds me of the good times I had with her and is sort of linked forever with happy memories and comfort.

Anyway, the drydown is lovely - this scent just keeps getting better, cleaner, richer, and it builds to this cool, deep green blue scent.

Wet this is crisp, fresh raw cucumber. Cool and green with a hint of the bitter peel. When first on this is bitter cucumber peel and the sweetness of the cucumber itself. After several minutes the bitterness fades and this is pure cucumber- crisp, green, and cool. This stays pretty much a single note cucumber. The only downside is that it fades after only a couple of hours. I love this- it's the perfect cucumber to wear in hot weather. I guess I'll have to slather it though since it's so light. It would probably be great to layer with other light scents.

straight sniff from imp is fresh english cucumber with a few generous droplets

of lily of the valley ....

this gets quite cucumbery once applied...combined with the hint of the floral

this is phenomenal for hot, steamy, sultry days and nights...yay!!

Clearly my skin is BROKEN. *cries* This was the most incredibly sour, SHARP, rotten, disgusting grass/cucumber blend EVER - I couldn't even begin to explain how, or why, it was just... ugh. And I've been looking for a good cucumber blend for so long! Woe!

This actually kicked in my "SCRUB IT OFF SCRUB IT OFF" reflex, though.

Ok, to be honest, I'm only reviewing this to get the reward point, because it's quick and easy:

It smells like cucumber. Yep. It's very fresh, cool, and watery, just like a freshly sliced cucumber. It's pretty light -- noticeable but not strong and throwy.

And that's that! I didn't wear it for long (or pay attention to it) because I kind of hate the way cucumbers smell. But I got it as a frimp, so I figured I might as well try it. :P If you love cucumber, you won't want to miss this.

Wow. I haven't reviewed this yet?! What's the matter with me?

In short, this is my favorite BPAL ever. It's green, crisp, and clean. I get a lovely grass note that blends down to the most accurate cucumber note I've ever smelled. This isn't just my favorite BPAL oil, it's my favorite perfume ever.

Can't say enough about how great this is.

Crisp, clean, green, wet and cool. A little grassy, a little cucumbery. Makes me think of cutting up salad greens in the kitchen :P LOVE it.

Oh YUM! Been itching to try this and it's fantastic!

Yummy, cool, watery cucumber - absolutely! It's like I've just cut up a fresh Lebanese cucumber and waved it under my nose. This is so delicious!

Might well end up being a bottle purchase when summer hits, but until then, I'll definitely be using up this imp!

In the imp: cucumber sandwiches and cookies.

On the wrist: Cucumber, complete with the tang of the skin, and something almost honeysuckle-like.

Reapplied, as faded quickly. Reading reviews now—I suppose it could be lily-of-the-valley, not honeysuckle. It’s a fresh scent, not cloying, and is very very pleasant. The floral JUST keeps me from trying to gnaw my wrists off to get at the cucumber.

I like this. It’s cool and soothing. If we ever get a summer this year in the UK it will be perfect.

This was a frimp from a forum purchase -- I have no idea who it was from; sorry!

In the imp and wet on me, this is such a pure cucumber scent that I can taste it and practically hear the crunch and feel the seeds between my teeth.

After about 20 min's drydown, it smells less like something I'd want to eat and more like fresh grass clippings. There's a teeny-tiny bit of sweetness back there somewhere but I think it's my shower products interfering.

After about 2 hours, the cucumber and grass have struck a nice balance with the cucumber predominating.

What do you know -- foody scents can be healthy and *still* yummy! :P I'm very glad I got to try this and it may be a bottle purchase.

in the imp: grass, cucumber, and something sweet and floral.

on me: grass fades, and the sweet smell comes more to the fore

after a few mins: blends fairly well, so it's just light, sweet and grassy

Overall: I'm amazed at how bang on the cuke scent is, but I probably won't keep this. Both because the sweetness smells slightly off to my nose (I think bc I'm expecting a cool smell, and the sweetness is more warm), and bc if I'm feeling like a light sweet and kinda grassy scent, I'd rather go with Amsterdam.

Since I have a son who's obsessed with all things marine, I actually thought "Squirting Cucumber" referred to the critter they call a "sea cucumber" or sea slug, and I expected this to be an underwater scent. DOH!

Crisp, juicy, slightly sweet cucumber with a watery hint of aloe. I love the tone of it, the freshness and coolness of it, but it's a bit too literal for me. I don't actually want to smell like a cucumber, but I would love to find something to layer this with, so I could keep the wet, summery freshness of it without smelling like a salad. Hmmmmm.....

This was very sweet very grassy cucumber. Very fresh and clean. At the beginning it was slightly off putting but it mellows out.

Yummy.

In the imp and on the skin this reminds me of the cucumber fragrance oil that I used to wear when I was a teen. It’s a very true fragrance from that perspective.

I think this might be a bit greener than the cucumber I used to wear (any layer – with peach, it’s yummy!). Pretty and fresh! And so evocative of year’s past for me.

Smells, not surprisingly, of cucumber. Whether this appeals to you or not is likely a matter of taste. It is much stronger than one would expect.

In the imp: Smells like, well, cucumber. Fresh and watery and juicy, with a hint of a gentle, sweet floral. The floral is more of an afterthought, though.

Wet: Wheeeee cucumber! Really, this isn't a complex scent. It's delightfully fresh and green, slightly grassy in a good way, and juicy as all get-out. It's a happy scent!

Dry: Much the same, with a coy wink of a floral note, possibly lily-of-the-valley. Absolutely mouth-watering! I just might have to add it to my ever-growing Big Bottle List.

I almost bought a bottle of this unsniffed because I love cucumber/green/grass - I'm so happy I did not!

Yes, this is cucumber - but it's not fresh. It's rotten. You know, the sort of cucumber you cut and see that it is already yellow inside? Like this but 10times stronger + somehow like someone perfumed the cucumber with a terrible scent.

A total no-go, I had to wash it off :P

i grew up with a garden several acres big... and we grew lots of cucumbers. heirloom cucumbers at that. the scent of cucumber vines heated by the sun and the flavour of a cucumber sliced and munched on while wandering around the garden pulling weeds...

fertile, moist dirt. cucumbers. growing vines.

everything but the itch from the okra pods and the heat of the sun is in this little bottle. amazing!

Finding this scent was what convinced me to first try BPAL. i love cucumber and have been looking for a good one that did not involve melon. It's very fresh with green grasses and a bit of sweet floral. It stays true on my skin and lasts very well, I absolutely love it. I bought the 5ml the next day after trying my imp. I'd love to see more cucumber scents, maybe something darker green and mossy.

in the bottle no doubt about the cucumber here. it's a big, violent cucumber, possibly with a large stick.

wet on skin there's something very soft and saline lurking under the knobbly cucumber skin smell. it smells almost exactly like heirloom picklers with the skin still on sliced, salted, and peppered. brilliant!

dry on skin the drydown strips away a lot of the cucumberness and the amazing saline scent. what's left is pale green and sweet and floral, smelling for all the world like lily of the valley. brilliant x2.

i got this in october and just wasn't in the mood, so didn't test it 'til december. it's not something i want to wear right now at all, far too evocative of warm weather and i'm in a snowbelt of the northeastern US. i can envision, though, this being a completely amazing spring and summer choice, so i'm going to hold onto it 'til then. :P

In Bottle: Yar, that be a cucumber. More specifically a cold crisp one with a slightly bitter note.

On Skin: Cucumber and watermelon rind.

Dry Down: Huh, this one actually has staying power!

Thoughts: I got sick of the cucumber-melon fragrances that all the B&B stores sell a long time ago. Too sweet, too artificial. This definitely is the best cuke scent ever if you want a realism. Great for summer, great for layering.

Cucumber! Yes, cucumber. Plain and simple.

OK, call me crazy, but for a brief period I thought I detected...ambergris? That was weird. I don't know. I still think it kind of smells like it. The main point is cucumber, though. This would be lovely on a spring or summer day spent outside, and it smells delicious, but I'm not sure if I'd like to wear it or not as it's not really "me". I might wait until the warm weather comes around before I decide.

Woohoo! Trading Post Frimp!

Needless to say this smells like cucumber. And no melon, thank the gods. Not normally the kind of thing I like to wear but it is really really nice. Watery-juicy and cool and not artificially sweet. There is something lightly florally-sweet in the background that compliments the cucumber beautifully but I dont know what it is.

This will be very nice in summer and I am looking forward to slathering it on in the heat.